Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

Thanks for the advice all. Did you guys fly into Surabaya and bus it to Probolinggo, Sukapura and Cemoro Lawang? I'm thinking about flying to Surabaya on Saturday morning and flying out Sunday evening. From your comments that sounds like enough time, thoughts?

Have you given thought to your style of pant, vis-a-vis your trip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Request for Ringo R to update the OP to begin with a pants guide.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Guys I have to make a public confession re: pants. Here I was, proud and haughty in my no-pants-stance. Then I went out to the countryside to visit my old host fam and see the old stomping grounds. Within 6 hours of getting there (swear im not making this up) I was asked if I had pants. There was a wedding going on and they wanted to bring me along and sit me at the mayor's table, but i needed pants. Fortunately I had the pants I had been wearing to the airport on my way to PP but I learned an important lesson I'd like to share with you: regardless of personal convictions, always have emergency pants on hand.

Seriously though I laughed out loud when they asked if I had 'em, it was too perfect

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"Do you have any pants?" is the new SE Asia goon code phrase.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe, "Let me check."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 1, 2013

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Hang on, I gotta zip the bottom parts back on.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

kru posted:

Have you given thought to your style of pant, vis-a-vis your trip?

ReindeerF posted:

"Do you have any pants?" is the new SE Asia goon code phrase.

EDIT: I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe, "Let me check."
I am prepared.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 1, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Incidentally, my monthly pants-wearing occurred yesterday when I had to go speak with the girlfriend's parents about something important. Just slid in under the wire on March 31st, but I think I'm safe until a number of business meetings start on the first of May. JOIN ME FOR PANTS-FREE APRIL. It's Songkran, after all. Who needs pants?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

duralict posted:

Hang on, I gotta zip the bottom parts back on.

Oh god. :barf:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I wore shorts and jandals into work one day and now the weird guys who direct car parking for some reason laugh at me and shout "SHORTS HOBBIT" when they see me. Because I'm short and have hairy feet and was wearing shorts, you see.

Do not become me, goon. Black woolen pants or nothing. Start a fire in your loins.

Try to spend a few hours in Malang, if possible. It's a really nice city.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Senso posted:

Oh god. :barf:

See I feel like such an idiot wearing them, but I have never actually unzipped the legs. I only have them because they are far superior to the pants without the zip things. Don't ask me why they can't make a non-convertable version with the same material and pockets.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Just landed at suvarnabhumi international airport. Staying at the Tavern restroom, 3PAX/4.5h $168!

Flying to Vientiane in the AM. Just came to check the thread because I forgot what the doo doo medicine is. Going to pick it up at boots as I'll be kicked out of this room at 5am.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

So I get to Bangkok airport at around 9:30 PM on the 19th. Was hoping someone could give me some easy directions / advice on how to get to a place to spend the first night. Likely I will be confused as hell from my 24hr travel time so simplicity is key!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There's a six thousand plus comment thread on Reddit's front page right now about "What do they have in other countries that you wish they had here?" or whatever and not one of those fat slovenly fucks said anything about the rear end washer.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
You need to leave your parent's basement to go to other countries, so all the majority of Reddit has to contribute to the thread is what they read on the internet and cat image macros.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You also have to wash your rear end to appreciate an rear end washer :pwn:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Haven't bought toilet paper in weeks. :cool:

npn
Mar 7, 2006

lol internet. posted:

Just came to check the thread because I forgot what the doo doo medicine is.
Loperamide to block you up quickly (don't go overboard, you'll regret it).
Ciprofloxacin to actually kill the bugs.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lol internet. posted:

Just landed at suvarnabhumi international airport. Staying at the Tavern restroom, 3PAX/4.5h $168!
The Tavern's restroom - good choice! Hope they at least mopped up for you.

Senso posted:

Haven't bought toilet paper in weeks. :cool:
Between this and the "I don't wear pants" stuff, someone wandering in here with no context would think this was the Basement Dwellers - Poopsocker or FYAD Warrior: Choose Your Own Adventure thread.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 2, 2013

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Between this and the "I don't wear pants" stuff, someone wandering in here with no context would think this was the Basement Dwellers - Poopsocker or FYAD Warrior: Choose Your Own Adventure thread.

Pure Goons_TXT material.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Cheesemaster200 posted:

See I feel like such an idiot wearing them, but I have never actually unzipped the legs. I only have them because they are far superior to the pants without the zip things. Don't ask me why they can't make a non-convertable version with the same material and pockets.

I spent way too long looking for a nice pair of lightweight travel pants that didn't look like travel mom or had zip offs. I recently found a pair that fit like a dream and looked awesome on me but I paid a lot more than I would have liked to :(

I don't understand why they barely exist :argh: Heck, I'd kill for quick drying/wicking clothes that look like normal clothes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I saw a bunch at this shop on Rambutri (near Khao San) that sells dry bags and poo poo - it's right over by the reprints of old posters lady and the row of massage chairs on the side of the street, before you get to the corner. They were long, kind of decent looking khaki and other earthtone colors and were made of a quick-drying material. Thinking about picking some up just to see. I mean they're lovely knock-offs maybe, but I bought a dry bag there and it was the real deal, so who knows?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I just wear jeans all the time and deal with it :dealwithit:

also apparently I have to buy more winter clothes to go on a business trip to Europe. It's pretty frustrating when I have binliners full in Scotland, but can only travel from here to Geneva straight :(

kru fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 2, 2013

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Tomato Soup posted:

I don't understand why they barely exist :argh: Heck, I'd kill for quick drying/wicking clothes that look like normal clothes.

That's more or less REI's entire shtick, at least in the physical stores. They have entire racks of clothes meant for backpacking (as in hiking in the woods for days) that easily pass for regular business-casual. Of course it's all expensive as poo poo compared to the knockoffs, but if you're only bringing one pair of pants, might as well splurge out and get some that don't look like rear end after spending a month wadded up in the bottom of a backpack.

e: I just found some "quick-dry" cotton denim jeans on their website, this sounds like witchcraft.

duralict fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 2, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tomato Soup posted:

I spent way too long looking for a nice pair of lightweight travel pants that didn't look like travel mom or had zip offs. I recently found a pair that fit like a dream and looked awesome on me but I paid a lot more than I would have liked to :(

REI Adventures pant. I have a travel gear thread around here somewhere with links / pictures of a bunch of good travel stuff. (On phone now, can't locate it for you.)

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Sheep-Goats posted:

REI Adventures pant. I have a travel gear thread around here somewhere with links / pictures of a bunch of good travel stuff. (On phone now, can't locate it for you.)
I have a pair of those and the problem is that the material they use is too light. When you start sweating or when it gets wet, it sticks to your leg which is quite annoying.

I have a couple pairs of the older version of these:
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/...m_vc=CrossSells

They are somewhat travel-dad-ish because of the convertible zipper, but they are super comfortable and have deep front pockets (which I like to both hold things and ward off pickpockets).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Zip leg plus cargo pockets plus included belt = no way Jose (IMHO). Also IMHO you will sweat and pants will stick no matter what, the controllable variable is how quickly they dry, where lightweight and nylon are the magic formula.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is why I wear nothing but Levi's cargo shorts. Why bother with the muss? On the occasion I need to wear pants I just call up a taxi guy, crank up the AC and prepare to sit in traffic - or I bring my outfit in a bag. It's not at all uncommon to bring a suit bag with me to a meeting, stop in a restroom and change and then show up. You'll sweat so loving much in Bangkok it's not worth it to dick around.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I have a couple pairs of the older version of these:
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/...m_vc=CrossSells

They are somewhat travel-dad-ish because of the convertible zipper, but they are super comfortable and have deep front pockets (which I like to both hold things and ward off pickpockets).
I have two pairs of those as well. They're great. Not travel dad at all and the material is very lightweight and quick drying. They also have a zippered hidden pocket for pickpocket deterrence and look just fine in shorts mode. They do have zip legs but the zippers are barely noticeable.

I have also climbed several Colorado 14ers in them and they work well for that purpose too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gail Wynand posted:

I have two pairs of those as well. They're great. Not travel dad at all

Dear gentlemen of the SA forums, those pants are what the phrase Travel Dad was invented to describe.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Dear gentlemen of the SA forums, those pants are what the phrase Travel Dad was invented to describe.
The pockets are unobtrusive and the fit isn't as ridiculous as with a lot of other convertible pants. It's all in how you wear them.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm a girl so that complicates things a bit :j:

And yeah, REI was where I found my pants. It took so long because I prefer a slimmer fit. Most of their stuff looked a bit matronly to me. I just want to feel stylish :(

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Sheep-Goats posted:

See, I define travel dad when you get into things like shorts with sandals, Fannie packs and cargo vests. Cargo pants with pockets in my opinion fits more in the "reasonable functionality" range rather than just silly. I admit the convertible pants kind of cross the line, but I figure as long as you don't use them for such and the zipper is reasonably hidden it isn't too bad. Sacrifices must be made.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tomato Soup posted:

I'm a girl so that complicates things a bit :j:

And yeah, REI was where I found my pants. It took so long because I prefer a slimmer fit. Most of their stuff looked a bit matronly to me. I just want to feel stylish :(

Oh, yeah.

REI has a lot of ladypants that are equivalent to the Adventures one, many of which fit much more closely, and all of which cost about two to three times as much. Sorry girls. Clothing companies view your credit cards like punching bags.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheesemaster200 posted:

See, I define travel dad when you get into things like shorts with sandals, Fannie packs and cargo vests. Cargo pants with pockets in my opinion fits more in the "reasonable functionality" range rather than just silly. I admit the convertible pants kind of cross the line, but I figure as long as you don't use them for such and the zipper is reasonably hidden it isn't too bad. Sacrifices must be made.
After looking around online, travel dad seems to be best summed up as a guy with way too much gear, each piece of it specifically selected for some fantastic consumer feature and/or the perception that it makes him look adventurous. Travel dad's attire can vary pretty widely, but the qualifying characteristic is that he spent so much time on it that he's quite obviously playing dress-up.

As a friend of mine put it, "It's hilarious to see these people in Hong Kong, where we're all running around living normal lives in suits and casual clothing." Yeah, same in Bangkok, but with shorts and flip flops. Flying over the Pacific on a 777 doesn't make you a character out of The Man Who Would Be King. Though in my case, my favorite group to make fun of were captured perfectly by Alan's outfit for his flight to Bangkok in Hangover II. I see that person quite a bit and it's always like :ughh:

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 3, 2013

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I really cant feel bad about wearing shorts and sandals when its 100f. I've done the same thing my entire life back home though during the summer and so does pretty much everyone so :confused:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Yeah, I don't see how shorts with sandals is travel dad. Shorts with hiking boots and tall socks, on the other hand..

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Travel dads:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This thread has, for the first time, officially become hilarious for me.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

I love how traveldads are always the same awful khaki color.

e: the pants, not the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I rue the day Pant chat displaced Balcony chat