Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I work at a Gamestop in California and we take "Not For Resale" discs all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"Not for resale" on anything is just put there so the company making it isn't responsible for issues with the item beyond the original new sale, it has nothing to do with being legally allowed or not to resell it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe they just don't want people named "Resale" to own anything?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

By the way, NSMBU pros use the wiimote and Game Pad at the same time :cool:

Toes work just as well on the touch screen as fingers!

Neo Rasa posted:

"Not for resale" on anything is just put there so the company making it isn't responsible for issues with the item beyond the original new sale, it has nothing to do with being legally allowed or not to resell it.

Actually, it's there because it's a bundled version and it's supposed to be an indicator that the stores aren't supposed to be breaking up the bundle and selling the game as new. Obviously, less scrupulous retailers do this all the time with bundled software...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I played Pikmin for the first time today, and the whole time limit thing is really stressful. I've heard that it was removed in the second game, but I think it adds a level of strategy in the form of time and resource management. I heard that Luigi's Mansion was going to have a similar time limit, as well as more Rouguelike elements before it was toned down.

I miss Nintendo games that were punishing and difficult, like Metroid Prime 2, Majora's Mask and F-ZERO GX, not to mention countless NES and SNES games. I don't want to go all "blah blah, Zelda should be like Dark Souls", but a good, engaging game shouldn't need to hold my hand, it doesn't feel rewarding for me unless I've overcome a challenge by myself.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

That loving Sned posted:

I played Pikmin for the first time today, and the whole time limit thing is really stressful. I've heard that it was removed in the second game, but I think it adds a level of strategy in the form of time and resource management.

It's coming back for the Wii U game.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Prime 2 was hard?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Edoraz posted:

Prime 2 was hard?

Only the Boost Guardian, really, or if you really struggled in Dark Aether.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

That loving Sned posted:

I miss Nintendo games that were punishing and difficult, like Metroid Prime 2, Majora's Mask and F-ZERO GX, not to mention countless NES and SNES games. I don't want to go all "blah blah, Zelda should be like Dark Souls", but a good, engaging game shouldn't need to hold my hand, it doesn't feel rewarding for me unless I've overcome a challenge by myself.
Majora's Mask really isn't punishing or difficult except for Gyorg. Plus stuff like Mario Galaxy and SMG2 strike a great balance between difficulty and accessibility. Zelda games really could use less handholding, but try to remember that veteran Zelda players aren't the only audience. And not all games should be super difficult and 'punishing'.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chaltab posted:

Majora's Mask really isn't punishing or difficult except for Gyorg. Plus stuff like Mario Galaxy and SMG2 strike a great balance between difficulty and accessibility. Zelda games really could use less handholding, but try to remember that veteran Zelda players aren't the only audience. And not all games should be super difficult and 'punishing'.

Recent Zelda games haven't been so much accessible as they are so simple that a paraplegic in a coma could beat them.

The other games did it right in terms of accessibility I have no idea why Zelda can't find a balance.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, while those games aren't exactly some of the hardest ever made (F-ZERO GX excluded), they had mechanics which made the game more complicated than just keeping your health above zero and reaching the next checkpoint.

Prime 2's dark world was stressful and unnerving, which made it more challenging to explore. You had to be more aware of your surroundings, since the atmosphere was constantly sapping your health, and the dark palette made it difficult to see. Nowadays, focus testing would prevent this from ever making it in to the game, but it works so well in the early Silent Hill games that I don't see why it can't fit a Metroid game.

Majora's Mask isn't technically much harder than Ocarina of Time, but to do more than just beat the dungeons you need to really get to grips with the three-day cycle. You're never in danger of actually getting a game over from the moon falling, since you can turn back time with your ocarina, but it creates an amazingly oppressive atmosphere that Twilight Princess completely failed to live up to.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Edoraz posted:

Prime 2 was hard?

It's considered to be hard enough to alienate casual gamers or whatever... I mean, prime 2 hard mode is kinda ridiculous.

Also Boost and Spider guardians.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alteisen posted:

Recent Zelda games haven't been so much accessible as they are so simple that a paraplegic in a coma could beat them.

The other games did it right in terms of accessibility I have no idea why Zelda can't find a balance.

Not really?

The DS games aren't easy by any means, though a lot of that has to do with the awkward controls. Skyward Sword though was many times more difficult than any other 3D Zelda and came with a Hard Mode. Yeah; it held your hand too much, Fi was annoying and some people had issues with the motion controls but the fact that basic enemies actually did more than a quarter of a heart of damage and don't die when you look at them was great. And there were some great parts of the game they should expand on, like the way they used the stamina meter and shield durability, and some great fights.

Just because its not 'Dark Souls! No directions, die fifty times to figure anything out on your own!' doesn't mean its really easy. I love the 3D Zeldas for the most part, and Skyward Sword is the first time I've actually died playing one since I was seven playing Ocarina of Time.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

That loving Sned posted:

Prime 2's dark world was stressful and unnerving, which made it more challenging to explore.

Wasn't that the point, though? You were literally exploring an organism that didn't want you in it. The Dark World wasn't a place, it was a thing, that you had to destroy. That was your mission.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
One of the most rewarding video game experiences I've ever had is replaying through all of the Prime games on the Trilogy disc with the Wii controls on Normal mode and then Hard Mode over the course of a few weeks. Beating the hell out of the boost guardian on hard mode was so rewarding, and actually having some "oh poo poo oh poo poo" moments running between light areas was awesome (again, on hard mode).

Normally (meaning on normal difficulty), playing through Prime 2 resulted in quick, pathetic fights with dark samus until the elevator and/or the end fight. Hard mode was incredibly fun for the challenge.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zore posted:

Not really?

The DS games aren't easy by any means, though a lot of that has to do with the awkward controls. Skyward Sword though was many times more difficult than any other 3D Zelda and came with a Hard Mode. Yeah; it held your hand too much, Fi was annoying and some people had issues with the motion controls but the fact that basic enemies actually did more than a quarter of a heart of damage and don't die when you look at them was great. And there were some great parts of the game they should expand on, like the way they used the stamina meter and shield durability, and some great fights.

Just because its not 'Dark Souls! No directions, die fifty times to figure anything out on your own!' doesn't mean its really easy. I love the 3D Zeldas for the most part, and Skyward Sword is the first time I've actually died playing one since I was seven playing Ocarina of Time.

Who the hell is talking about Dark souls? Dark Souls isn't like that all btw. :confused:

I simply found Skyward to be pathetically simple, its not just the hand holding, its just to drat easy even with the poo poo controls. The dungeons where also an absolute joke.

And if the reason the DS aren't easy is because of the controls, well that's not real difficulty to me. I didn't get very far in them largely because of the controls but again, didn't have any issues with them.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 4, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Welp, looks like the multiplayer thread is DOA. Anybody up for Sonic Racing or NFS right now?

My NN ID is AngryCaterpillar.

Japtor, I see you're online.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 4, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Alteisen posted:

Who the hell is talking about Dark souls? Dark Souls isn't like that all btw. :confused:

I simply found Skyward to be pathetically simple, its not just the hand holding, its just to drat easy even with the poo poo controls. The dungeons where also an absolute joke.

And if the reason the DS aren't easy is because of the controls, well that's not real difficulty to me. I didn't get very far in them largely because of the controls but again, didn't have any issues with them.

The same would be true if you played any of the old zeldas with your current level of skill.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

It seems like Wii U owners might have dodged a bullet with Aliens: Colonial Marines:

Eurogamer posted:

Wii U Aliens: Colonial Marines misses launch window, is it still alive?

The Wii U version of disappointing Gearbox game Aliens: Colonial Marines has missed its launch window, but publisher Sega won't explain what's going on or whether the game is still in development at all.

In January, Sega told Eurogamer that Aliens: Colonial Marines would arrive on Wii U by 31st March. That date marked the end of the Wii U's launch window.

When we asked Sega this morning where the game was and whether it would ever see the light of day, the publisher responded with "no comment".

That's a suspiciously vague remark, given that Sega was happy enough to quash rumours in February about the game being cancelled.

"It's not true," said a Sega representative back then. "We haven't announced the release date for it yet but that's it."

Aliens: Colonial Marines arrived in February for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. And like a french kiss from one of its xenomorphs, the game was mauled by Eurogamer's Dan Whitehead in our 3/10 review.

Since then, a number of patches have arrived to improve the game, including a multitude of bug fixes and tweaks to solve some of the most pressing criticisms. A Wii U version with all of these fixes would likely receive a warmer reception.
Source

I'm not sure anyone is sad about it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm just sad that game was garbage.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

The same would be true if you played any of the old zeldas with your current level of skill.
No, in Link To The Past, it could take a long time to figure out how to get into an area, there was that marvelously annoying worm boss that would knock you down a floor and force you to replay him, and the enemies and puzzles were just trickier in general. Zelda 1 was even worse and Zelda 2 was a nightmare. Hell, OoT was kind of difficult sometimes too. And I honestly still find Majoras Mask hard, the initial time rush in the village before meteor lands still takes me 2 or 3 tries and I still get stumped by things I forgot when replaying the game.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 4, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
After Gearbox literally lied and showed something that wasn't the real game at multiple preview events I don't get why anyone would willingly give them money again. I don't care how cool Borderlands was, that poo poo is despicable and Randy Pitchford should be ashamed of himself.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You don't have to get that upset, Bioshock Infinite is still pretty good.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure what that has to do with Aliens or the WiiU.

Consumers should get angry when they're lied to by the way.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

kater posted:

Although both were published by 2K, they lack any other connection... A:CM was Gearbox/TimeGate and BS:I was Irrational/2K Marin

[edit] poo poo, A:CM was published by Sega. There's literally no connection at all.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 4, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

After Gearbox literally lied and showed something that wasn't the real game at multiple preview events I don't get why anyone would willingly give them money again.

Gearbox, like any other developer, would've had very little say in any of that. Those kinds of decisions (what to show, when to show, who to show to) are practically, if not literally, always decided by the publisher.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't feel sorry for the company at all, but obviously I do feel bad for the individual workers involved who tried really hard but failed spectacularly and have a years long project they probably have to leave off their resume, most of it not being any one person's fault, but a management and directorial problem.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

kater posted:

I really wish Nintendo tossed money at Ken Levine and 2K for Bioshock.

At least that's what I would do.

"HERE'S A TRUCK OF MONEY. RELEASE BIOSHOCK GAMES ON THE WII U. OKAY NOW KEN I'M HANDING YOU THE ETERNAL DARKNESS FRANCHISE. MAKE ME A TRUCK OF MONEY."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's supposedly a Bioshock game being made for the Vita still so they can't exactly pull the bad install base excuse either.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Nintendo is somewhat rightfully afraid if they start setting that precedent they'll never get AAA titles ported to their systems "for free" again. So far they've been pretty conservative, paying companies only for games which otherwise would never have been released.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

njsykora posted:

There's supposedly a Bioshock game being made for the Vita still so they can't exactly pull the bad install base excuse either.

Not really http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/26/bioshock-vita-still-hasnt-entered-development-heres-why/

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

greatn posted:

I think Nintendo is somewhat rightfully afraid if they start setting that precedent they'll never get AAA titles ported to their systems "for free" again. So far they've been pretty conservative, paying companies only for games which otherwise would never have been released.

Sony and Microsoft both pay for exclusive games yet still receive ports of major multiplatform games.

You have to pay for big games to build an install base. Once you have a big enough install base, it's a bad business decision for publishers not to release games on your platform whether or not they're paid to do so.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Magnatux posted:

One of the most rewarding video game experiences I've ever had is replaying through all of the Prime games on the Trilogy disc with the Wii controls on Normal mode and then Hard Mode over the course of a few weeks. Beating the hell out of the boost guardian on hard mode was so rewarding, and actually having some "oh poo poo oh poo poo" moments running between light areas was awesome (again, on hard mode).

Normally (meaning on normal difficulty), playing through Prime 2 resulted in quick, pathetic fights with dark samus until the elevator and/or the end fight. Hard mode was incredibly fun for the challenge.

It's too bad the nerfed the gently caress out of the Boost Guardian in the Wii version. They removed the thing where he can accidentally do infinite damage to you. Makes the fight a lot less painful, but I kinda liked the challenge.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

Sony and Microsoft both pay for exclusive games yet still receive ports of major multiplatform games.

You have to pay for big games to build an install base. Once you have a big enough install base, it's a bad business decision for publishers not to release games on your platform whether or not they're paid to do so.

They pay for exclusives. Ponying up money for Bioshock or GTA V would be paying for ports.

I wouldn't be opposed to Nintendo at least offering to cover any losses from a port, however. I just think paying up front would be unwise.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

greatn posted:

They pay for exclusives. Ponying up money for Bioshock or GTA V would be paying for ports.

I wouldn't be opposed to Nintendo at least offering to cover any losses from a port, however. I just think paying up front would be unwise.

Offering to cover losses and paying up front are literally the same thing.

Publishers and developers aren't going to release a game on any system out of the goodness of their heart. It's a business. If there's not enough consumers to buy the game to make it profitable, then the only way to get a game out on a system is for the owning company to pay out of pocket for it.

The only reason Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, MGR: Revengeance and whatever else came out in the last six months isn't on the Wii U is because there aren't enough Wii U's in the wild to make releasing those games make sense. That's why the majority of ports on the Wii U are for games that started turning a profit over a year ago-- there's so much less overhead that creating 5-10% more content to entice people to double dip is a much lower risk than churning out another version of a game that isn't a proven success on other platforms yet.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Soul Glo posted:

Nintendo didn't need big games last gen to make money hand over fist.

They (foolishly) assumed that would carry over to this gen, too.

edit: It's not just that there aren't enough console in the wild, it's also that Nintendo systems tend to have the poorest sales-per-owner of 3rd party titles.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I still think having Wii Fit U is going to make a difference. But that's me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I honestly think the minute a new mario or zelda comes out, sales will boost up. It's anecdotal, but a bunch of my friends are willing to buy but are waiting for the successor to mario Galaxy or a non HD Revamp Zelda.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Nintendo didn't need big games last gen to make money hand over fist.

They (foolishly) assumed that would carry over to this gen, too.

edit: It's not just that there aren't enough console in the wild, it's also that Nintendo systems tend to have the poorest sales-per-owner of 3rd party titles.

The first Wii was obviously an outlier in terms of sales and what made it successful when looked at in the bigger picture of what works in the industry. Like with any outlier, you really shouldn't give it credence when trying to figure out what works and what doesn't in terms of sales. Nintendo definitely made a mistake if they thought they could just slap the Wii name on the U and it would become successful just by the fact that the first one was.

They *really* should have used the PS3's launch as a reference point for when a company relies on past success to ensure future success, but that's beside the point now. Who knows, maybe Nintendo really did think they were doing enough for the Wii U for it to be a hit out of the gate besides its name, but either way, it hasn't been, so.

But yeah, I think using the first Wii as an example of not needing games for your console to be successful is a bit silly at this point. The Wii was obviously a stand alone in that respect-- which is the main reason I'm not extremely hopeful that Wii U Fit will make a big difference: that audience still thinks the Wii U is a new controller. Probably.

That audience, the one that made the Wii such a hit, doesn't exist for Nintendo anymore, or else they wouldn't be having this slow of a start. If the Wii still captivated those people as much as it did when it first sold, they would have been crawling over one another for the next iteration. Turns out, people who don't play video games don't pay attention when a machine that plays video games gets released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I honestly think the minute a new mario or zelda comes out, sales will boost up. It's anecdotal, but a bunch of my friends are willing to buy but are waiting for the successor to mario Galaxy or a non HD Revamp Zelda.

That was how people looked at the 3DS too. And I think sales did go up after 3D Land and Ocarina HD came out. I wouldn't know if they are still selling well or not because I looked at the next year of games and decided to sell my 3DS.

I'm not that impressed with the Wii U game selection either but I use it for things other than games (I prefer to watch YouTube on it than on my computer).

• Locked thread