Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I had an exemption ages ago, but we moved. Was looking at playing again, do we need to re-apply for another? I don't know how they have it set up....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
No, you don't. "IP exemption" is a misleading name, since what they actually do is exempt one of your accounts from the "only one account per IP" restriction. You can use any IP you want to log in with this account and play it with any other account on that same IP.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Sounds good, I'll have to torrent the client later and see whats up. Out of curiosity, are the trakanon class BPs worth anything?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sure they're still worth something, cleric BPs especially, but I know the Ranger and SK ones, for instance, were getting pretty low even last summer.

Check this site:
http://ahungry.com/eqauctions/
...or the P99 EC forum for more info.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Pff I have like 1 of each and I think 2 or 3 of the cleric ones I think on a character. Guess I'll be able to bootstrap myself up gearwise!

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
Good to see the raiding scene hasn't changed a bit. I'll be coming back for Velious and joining whoever is the least cheat-y raid guild but I hope to loving god that the top tier guilds are reasonable about it and actually pick different factions. I can see people on this server pulling the "ha ha no gently caress you" option and just killing every faction boss and poopsock faction grinding.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pyrocat posted:

Good to see the raiding scene hasn't changed a bit. I'll be coming back for Velious and joining whoever is the least cheat-y raid guild but I hope to loving god that the top tier guilds are reasonable about it and actually pick different factions. I can see people on this server pulling the "ha ha no gently caress you" option and just killing every faction boss and poopsock faction grinding.

You can pretty much guarantee that's what will happen. TMO is *massive*. Absolutely loving *massive*. Many of their members have several 60s, and they leave various alts and bought accounts at multiple gods, so they can log in wherever, whenever. They field multiple raid forces. Let that sink in.

So when Velious hits? You can absolutely loving be assured that they'll run multiple factions, at least for a while. I hope most people like..well...nothing for the first 4-5 months, then after that, maybe PoG armor you can get without a ton of a training.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

You can pretty much guarantee that's what will happen. TMO is *massive*. Absolutely loving *massive*. Many of their members have several 60s, and they leave various alts and bought accounts at multiple gods, so they can log in wherever, whenever. They field multiple raid forces. Let that sink in.

So when Velious hits? You can absolutely loving be assured that they'll run multiple factions, at least for a while. I hope most people like..well...nothing for the first 4-5 months, then after that, maybe PoG armor you can get without a ton of a training.

there will be -SOME- raids where another guild gets lucky and downs a boss first... However, this is spot on.

iNteg fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 13, 2013

irrationalx
Mar 17, 2010
If endgame sucks I'll just re-roll, i'm still having a blast. Almost 30 now.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

irrationalx posted:

If endgame sucks I'll just re-roll, i'm still having a blast. Almost 30 now.

As you, and everyone should! Don't let the downer endgame turn you off. EQ was around before all everyone cared about was endgame. Expansions came out and many (in fact most) were not even max-level. To the point that expansions came out and the level cap wasn't even raised. Enjoy the journey!

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Just created a High Elf Cleric and an Ogre SK. I don't know which one I will stick with. This game is harder than I remember. Look me up in game!

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 2, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

This will definitely happen. I recently joined TMO and there are armies of level 60 alts - some have 4+. You can blame this on character trading via in game money. Kill a hard boss mob, sell some loot for 200k+, buy a level 55+ character. It's simply too easy to stack up on high level alts with access to lots of PP. I can't complain too much, because I recently sold a higher level monk that I wasn't playing for the PP boost. But, I still wish this practice was outlawed just like RMT is.

The new variance system is broken, but that's not surprising. It can only add extra time to a mobs window. In my opinion, variance on the shorter end of the time frame would be far more beneficial to the server. There would be more loot to go around and potentially too many mobs for TMO/FE to keep a tracker on at all times.

Rogean seems to like the server drama. Anytime people talk about rotating mobs, it always goes back to "rise (or stoop) to their level in order to compete". Currently, TMO doesn't want FE to gear up and FE has to gear up to compete with TMO, so the standard grid lock ensues.

On the plus side, there are lots of people who simply hate TMO. This means that there should always be some sort of competition for mobs. I personally wish there were a few more guilds like FE, because competition is what makes this stuff fun.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Just created a High Elf Cleric named Hakari and an Ogre SK named Bibbok. I don't know which one I will stick with. This game is harder than I remember. Look me up in game!

Edit: I joined a low level guild at Kelethin just to have better grouping opportunities. I can quit and join the goons if needed but it seemed the smartest choice for now. I'll still take some goonerosity though!

Ok, I will buy someone like some kind of SA upgrade. How? If they are done with EQ 1999 and don't want their stuff. Maybe motivate someone to install it just do pass it on to me. This game is tough and I hate that i have some generic piece of poo poo while everyone runs around with incredible magical weapons of doom.

You might want to check out a differnt emu or the Mac server if you're frustrated with this one. It doesn't really get any easier.

rectal_rocket
Feb 23, 2013

hayden. posted:

You might want to check out a differnt emu or the Mac server if you're frustrated with this one. It doesn't really get any easier.

https://epicemu.com/

Might end up sucking, but giving it a try just for the fresh start experience that I missed out on with P99 by a couple years..

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Nah i figured it out and am decked out now. Nice.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

rectal_rocket posted:

Might end up sucking, but giving it a try just for the fresh start experience that I missed out on with P99 by a couple years..
That Randomized Hotzones feature should really be in Live EQ as well, and with a documented bonus, at least 50%. It would add a ton of life and grouping opportunities to the game.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

rectal_rocket posted:

I'm all for the fresh start experience, but the lack of any real forum activity has me concerned. P99 sure has its problems with the fact that its been locked on Kunark for a while and the top guilds have about five lvl 60 alts apiece and could afford to buy a small island, but at least they have a solid population. Wouldn't want to join a server where they are capping out at 200 people prime time.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I can't say I have any personal experience with playing on EpicEmu, but I can say that the people who are the admins of that server were total shitheads when they were players on P99a few years ago. It definitely might be something fun to mess around with for some folks, but I am highly skeptical of that server's potential to be anything other than a small pet project. It's not a place where I would want to invest time into leveling a character.

EQClassic will probably be solid if it ever gets finished, but it is pretty much the DNF of classic EQ servers.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

rectal_rocket posted:

I grouped with some TMO alts apparently and told them about this server. They were angered by it.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006

merk posted:

Is AE bard kiting on this server as broken as it seems? Hit ranges for mobs appear to be very different from classic. I'm trying to help out my friend learn to AE bard kite, and I couldn't even get anything going.

The guides on p99 are somewhat helpful, but I feel like I'm really missing something here. Does anyone have any advice?

This is probably a bit late. Bard kiting works fantastic on this server. I posted this on the servers the other day:

Basically you should be running in circles by strafe running away from the circle, if the mobs are to your right you are running straight and left while mouse turning towards the mobs in a smooth circle. Turning more will tighten the circle and bring them closer to you, turning less will widen your circle and put space between you and them. When you start out you can basically run safe wide circles and choke it down slowly until your pulse hits then widen it out, etc... it's not a race at first just feel it out. However, you have to always be strafing, which will make you run away basically as fast as possible and will allow you to get closer without getting hit.

Take your camera, zoom it all the way out and look from directly above your character... you want the pack of mobs to JUST be visible in the lower corner of your screen (left or right, whichever side the circle center is)... that's the range of your dot.

Get Jboots or sow or whatever, just for consistency sake, being able to focus on your dots the whole time and getting an extra refresh attempt.

Don't kite elephants. They have a larger attack range and will indeed kill you from roughly max dot range. You can gather up basically everything else. Get the aviaks, horse people (watch out for the names, one or two of them run faster), gnolls, etc. Whenever you go to a new zone you can check the range on everything individually, but typically humanoids are always safe... I think the only thing you'll want to kite that is incompatible with most mobs in zone is Rhinos in OT.

Edit: Oh sorry, the questions related to kiting in SK so there's some SK specific stuff in it.

Spudsly fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 7, 2013

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

Bard kiting definitely works well on this server. You really are only limited by the number of people in zone - it's not nice to take ALL the mobs.

I saw Spud holding down a solid solo AOE kite in BW this evening while i was camping Nezekezena. I'm out of practice myself, most of my experience 50+ came from a duo kite.

Spudsly posted:

Get Jboots or sow or whatever, just for consistency sake, being able to focus on your dots the whole time and getting an extra refresh attempt..

I really only used my jboots to get away from the mobs during a kite, generally to respond to a tell. You can set an auto strafe run up and outrun mobs without any run speed modifier.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I can't say I have any personal experience with playing on EpicEmu, but I can say that the people who are the admins of that server were total shitheads when they were players on P99a few years ago. It definitely might be something fun to mess around with for some folks, but I am highly skeptical of that server's potential to be anything other than a small pet project. It's not a place where I would want to invest time into leveling a character.

Toop right? I had one run in with Toop, and he was awesome. He had no obligation or reason, but him and a few of his Peace Pipe'ers did a rescue mission for me and my group out of HS.

Anywhos, I'm going to set up a duo and give it a whirl tomorrow evening. Compared to P99 I expect it to be seriously unpolished, but still playable. P99 used to not be near as nice as it is now too.

I just can't bring myself to try anything else on P99. It's such a dead end, and Rogean is horrible. I'd rather play on a less-polished and buggy emulated server that was run correctly and keep to what they said they would do.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yes, Toop. And sure, he was a nice enough guy on occasion, especially if you weren't camping something he was interested in. However, he had zero respect for people or the rules of the server when it came to the things he wanted. He abused the poo poo out of MQ2 and ShowEQ to monopolize a number of different spawns, regularly trained people doing camps like Frenzy, Efreeti, and Fire Giants, and was caught boxing repeatedly. An occasionally nice guy who has no respect for other people or rules when they conflict with his own interests does not a good server admin make.

Again, I don't see it becoming a problem if you're just going to mess around and level up a bit, so go ahead and enjoy it if it's fun - just thought I would throw a word of warning out based on my numerous negative experiences.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Uuugghhhh, why did you tell me all that. I hadn't heard any of it. And if it was from other people, I'd probably dismiss it as bullshit or at least "take it with a grain of salt". But no, it had to be from you.

Anywhos, yeah, I'll give it a run. I know a lot of people who are also burnt out on P99's miserable raid scene and impossible raiding are planning on trying it out. I don't know how much I'll stick around, but I'd like to dip into some Velious raiding here.

I suspect they'll be target a lot by angsty P99'ers too though (DDOS, spamming in global chat channels, etc).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, Project1999 keeps deleting threads about it on their forums. Now it's back, looks like they merged it with another post about it. Lets see if they delete it again. Any thoughts on if we should make a thread for the server here, or just keep posting here for a month or two to see if it even gets off the ground?

Also, The Sleeper launching will *probably* include festivities from P99 staff, to help detract from it's launch. I wouldn't surprised to see a GM event tonight or tomorrow, and/or a server repop.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm totally fine with discussion happening in this thread as it will probably be mostly people who are/were P99 folks playing on EpicEmu. If a sufficient goon presence gets going to warrant a separate thread I will be more than happy to edit a link into the OP etc. This thread is likely to continue it's low-post trend until P99 Velious release anyway, so we might as well talk about EpicEmu.

TheMostDangrousChef
Apr 26, 2008
/wave at Bruman.

Yeah, I'll be giving Sleeper server a shot. I played in the beta a bit and I know that it isn't nearly as polished as p99 is, but then I remember how terrible p99 looked at launch compared to now. Still, I'd rather deal with that than the horrible raid/high level scene that is p99.

I was also wondering if anyone was going to start a thread on here about the Sleeper server, but I have no idea how interested other goons are. I know a few of the original BDA players are going to be rolling up characters on there tonight, so we'll see how it works out.

Scott_F
May 8, 2005
You're all fucking crazy
Ref: epicemu.com ... I started the beta a year ago, have hosed around on it periodically for the last year. Toop (Kegz on Sleeper) is exactly what you would expect from a hardcore stoner guy who's talented with computers. Flakey but effective when he manages to focus. Which is why it's taken him 2 years to get the server ready for launch.

I think he will manage to run the server effectively. At the very least he's ready for DDOS etc. as he's been super paranoid about P99 staff sabotaging his launch (and hacking the gibson to get his server code, which he goes on about all the time).

I think it will be fun.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So played last night for an hour on Sleeper, and an hour this morning before work.

Last night the exp was hilariously bad. Level 1 vs level 1 gave 1% of exp. It's fixed now, when I logged on this morning everything seemed fine.

Lots of little stuff is different - I don't know how much of it is "not right for the era" or is accurate to starting at the end of Velious. Starting with a backpack, maxed swimming and sense heading, just little things. Nothing gamebreaking in my opinion, and I like the little things. Saving up for spells is definitely a thing, and poison is a newb killer (6hp/tick for a minute, regen is super slow, so stay away from snakes!)

The lack of fog is really weird - I didn't really notice it until I took my Halfling to Kithicor. Pretty jarring.

But I'm enjoying a fresh server, boxing is completely new to me, and I hope the server is ran the way they say it will be ran. If so, I think I'll enjoy my time here quite a bit. I'm looking forward to hitting 35 or so and moving on to Velious.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Good stuff. I honestly wish I had time to mess around with it right now because a new EQ server is always fun, and starting during Velious would certainly be unique. I'm curious to find out which camps/mobs/items people will prioritize early on. On the one hand you have the classic stuff like Manastones, Guises, and Rubicite that won't be available for long, but on the other hand you have really nice gear available in Velious and Kunark as well as Epics once you get some levels. I've never leveled a character during Velious (I had a 60 and a few 50+ characters on live when it came out - I'd never even leveled a character from 1-50 during Kunark before P99) so I wouldn't know much about where to go for good mid-level XP or gear aside from the usual spots in Vanilla.

I'm also curious about the efficacy of charm spells. The ridiculous ease of charming was probably the most game-affecting discrepancy between P99 and Live early on, and a server that allows 2-boxing and has easy charming would be even more greatly affected. Enc/Clr is probably the optimal 2-box to start out with if charm is landing easy and lasting long, as you can take on pretty much any non-raid situation or item camp that you'd be interested in.

Which duos are people running, and have you had many groups or are people mostly sticking to their own 2-box?

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
I'm planning on trying it out tonight just for the new server experience. However it seems weird that there are no posts on their forums. How many people were online last night/today?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Walamor posted:

I'm planning on trying it out tonight just for the new server experience. However it seems weird that there are no posts on their forums. How many people were online last night/today?

There are posts. Realize that they archived their old forums, and most people are either poopsocking the poo poo out of it, or are the sane ones and are at work. But even then, yeah, there's some posts. I don't have population numbers, but the newbie zones were packed all to hell last night, and this morning there was still people around.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Good stuff. I honestly wish I had time to mess around with it right now because a new EQ server is always fun, and starting during Velious would certainly be unique. I'm curious to find out which camps/mobs/items people will prioritize early on. On the one hand you have the classic stuff like Manastones, Guises, and Rubicite that won't be available for long, but on the other hand you have really nice gear available in Velious and Kunark as well as Epics once you get some levels. I've never leveled a character during Velious (I had a 60 and a few 50+ characters on live when it came out - I'd never even leveled a character from 1-50 during Kunark before P99) so I wouldn't know much about where to go for good mid-level XP or gear aside from the usual spots in Vanilla.

I'm also curious about the efficacy of charm spells. The ridiculous ease of charming was probably the most game-affecting discrepancy between P99 and Live early on, and a server that allows 2-boxing and has easy charming would be even more greatly affected. Enc/Clr is probably the optimal 2-box to start out with if charm is landing easy and lasting long, as you can take on pretty much any non-raid situation or item camp that you'd be interested in.

Which duos are people running, and have you had many groups or are people mostly sticking to their own 2-box?

I can't speak to charm unfortunately. I think there's going to be long rear end lines to get the limited time stuff, but to be serious, people make a bigger deal than they should. Those things are fun toys, but manastone in an era with Velious isn't that valuable. It's great for old plane clears to get gods I guess, but it's not like it's going to make/break a raid. And guises are just fun clickies too. Binding at firepots might be pretty big, although they're less important with Velious since there's none that go there. There's the melee binding locket, and NOS if it's dropping from it's original location (but it may already be on Dru), etc.

I've seen a wide array of duos. I was talking to a friend this morning who's an idiot and hasn't slept, and he was 12, and was grouped with another duo. So people are grouping, some are soloing, whatever, typical EQ. Last night I was grouped with other BDA'ers.

I heard exp is lowered again. It felt right this morning, but apparently they thought it was too high. They can change exp rate without restarting the server. Seeing level 12s probably scared them, but you can't fight that, it's going to happen. Best to not punish everyone IMO. Also drops are apparently hosed. Not seeing near the amount of rusty weapons and cloth gear that you should. Also some out-of-era quest items and NPCs are still hanging around. They said they're patching tonight, so who knows what they're doing.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
I would advise anyone new to emu servers to try the new one. These servers have one major flaw. Everyone knows everything about the game from years of prior experience. All the camps are figured out, where what items are, how best to farm them, and moving through content at speeds several times that from the old days while the expansions are being released on a fixed schedule.

There is nothing wrong with this. What else could the devs do? They did everything expected and they did a great job. However, this has created a very odd economy and a game that doesn't favor new players. It is 10x easier, faster, but several times more expensive to "twink" a character. There are more twinked characters on a server with a small pop (in comparison to the live servers in 99) then there were in several old servers combined. Of those that are twinked, they are usually fully decked out. Because of this, a large number can solo well into their teens if they choose. When they do group they prefer grouping with other characters who are geared. The difference between a geared character and a guy crafting his way into banded is great.

There is nothing wrong with this selective grouping behavior. It is logical to want to group with those who will make getting levels the fastest and easiest. However, it does make it more difficult for truly new people. There are less groups going on, you're probably going to have to avoid being a tank, you will always be second choice to someone that is geared, etc. But the server does have a low pop so more often than not groups will just be happy to have someone fill a role. Again, this isn't a dig at the people playing, it is just how the server played out with gear.

This is all anecdotal and my opinion but I feel confident in saying it.

All of this can be combated with a good guild and patience. I got random money and low tier gear pieces often at first. It really helped. There was always two responses to how to get geared up. "Just be patient and good things will happen." or "Join a large guild" I will save you the time and just say, the correct answer is "Join a large guild"

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
For anyone else playing on Sleeper, I'm Walamor, level 3 mage in Freeport. It's fun so far, but either the exp rates are slow or I'm forgetting how slow early leveling is. Took me forever to get from 2 to 3, which does not seem right.

Edit: XP rates are way too low, to the point where it's incredibly frustrating. I'd recommend waiting on playing on this server until they fix the xp.

Walamor fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 11, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They've been slowly bumping exp up (I saw them do it yet again last night around 10pm central), and they're making very visible the ZEMs and hotzones.

That said, it seems like there's extra code that says "if mob cons blue/white, give 50% of it's exp. if it's yellow give all, if it's red give 200%".

So solo'ing/duo'ing blues/whites the exp was miserable for me. I got in a group and we took out yellows/reds, and it was fine. But anything less than that it sucks.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
In P99 news, apparently a big wad of bans went out two days ago for 3rd party software. I haven't read the actual forums (just the front page) but this always makes me smile. Did anyone who is more up to date hear of any notable bannings?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
There was a lot of cry for a name-and-shame, but no dice. Noone has really been outsted. The thing is, accounts are free...it's too easy to make yet-another-throwaway-account, coth them to where you want, and run MQ only on that account.

I'm very happy for the effort, but ever since they didn't pass the banhammer that first time, they ruined any integrity the server had. And as long as accounts are free, it doesn't matter. They just do bad poo poo on tosser accounts.

I made the mistake of popping into RNF after not having viewed it in months. It's still the SAME old poo poo. Everytime there are pops, it's a big mess of them throwing poo poo at one another. It's miserable.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Nilbog did say something about changes to account trading/selling policy. Which could mean nothing.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
Only thing stopping me from giving The Sleeper a chance is the boxing policy. P99 got it right by enforcing a zero boxing rule. Yes, people got around it and boxed anyway, but the majority of the players didn't. It forced people to group, helping give the server that old EQ feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

moolchaba posted:

Nilbog did say something about changes to account trading/selling policy. Which could mean nothing.

Yeah, that'd be great if they can crack down on it. But after nilbog's big post about how they were going to shorten raid windows, have automated patch simulation days, and such all to give more mobs to help ease the nonsense...then they extended spawn windows instead. So I don't believe anything they say.

rsjr posted:

Only thing stopping me from giving The Sleeper a chance is the boxing policy. P99 got it right by enforcing a zero boxing rule. Yes, people got around it and boxed anyway, but the majority of the players didn't. It forced people to group, helping give the server that old EQ feeling.

I'm doing nothing but grouping, /shrug

• Locked thread