Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it wrong to leave my team on autopilot? They seem better at using the right spells and abilities and items than I ever was.

You can definitely play that way if you want to but it will make some bosses really hard when your party does dumb things. They also don't always conserve SP properly if you want them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can definitely play that way if you want to but it will make some bosses really hard when your party does dumb things. They also don't always conserve SP properly if you want them to.

Being able to control your teammates is new to Golden, right? That loving boggles my mind after some of the fights I've gone through using Direct Commands.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Being able to control your teammates is new to Golden, right? That loving boggles my mind after some of the fights I've gone through using Direct Commands.

No, direct control was introduced in the original game. It was, however, added to Persona 3 Portable after not being in the original P3.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ajkalan posted:

No, direct control was introduced in the original game. It was, however, added to Persona 3 Portable after not being in the original P3.

Oh, thank god. That must be what I was thinking of. I just starting thinking of the hell that Persona 4 without Direct Commands would be.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it wrong to leave my team on autopilot? They seem better at using the right spells and abilities and items than I ever was.

Real men fight with only the triangle button. Seriously my strategy in P3P's boss fights.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I play with party members on auto pilot except on boss fights or when I want to force a shuffle time to appear (which always happens if the killing blow is an all-out attack, except on boss/special fights). It's not as efficient, but the fights flow better and it makes it feel like your party members have a mind of their own.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Anybody notice anything different about my... heh.. desktop screen?

Available Here: http://customize.org/rainmeter/skins/71443

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I feel like such a complete nerd for saying that that actually looks pretty cool.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Nothing should stop you from getting a skin for a fully functional weather date and clock app that's free.

Its a..... BEARY good deal

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Lots of people were telling me this game is the bees knees, and despite my aversion to JRPGs as a whole, I figured, gently caress it I'll give it a go. I don't have a Vita though, so playing it on the PS2. Is there a standard Persona 4 thread? I did a quick check and couldn't find one.

I spent the 2-3 hours last night required to get through the opening cutscene wall, and I think the game is about to start opening up now. I just wanted to see if there was anything I should be aware of before I properly start. Any cool stuff I should check out or any ways to screw myself over? Didn't we have a thread for these questions? Anyway, looking forward to it. The opening sprawl was a bit excessive but I'm pretty invested now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is the thread you're thinking of: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807
You could also check this out: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Persona_4

To make a long story short:

-Party member S. Links and Hermit are arguably the most important. Hierophant and Justice end sort of early, but are worth finishing for plot reasons. Strength, Sun, and Temperance give some social stats, so they are worth finishing as well. Finally, getting Tower high will help you get one of the best personas. Everything else is more or less superfluous. Also, try to always have a persona of the matching arcana when you do S. Links.

-Get lots of TaP soda from the vending machine. Just stock up on as much as possible.

-Beef Bowls are probably the best thing to do on rainy days, unless you have a dungeon to complete.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The game breadcrumbs you through everything pretty quickly once you get going, I don't think there's a single mechanic that isn't adequately explained in the game.

As for what to do, don't sweat it. Don't try to min-max your first time through, just enjoy yourself, solve some mysteries, and hang out with friends and family. Give your party's Social Links priority because of the tangible in-battle effects and the shrine fox to help with SP refilling, and go for Knowledge, Expression and Understanding some early focus for other Social Links, but other than that just have fun with Japanese Scooby Doo (ruh roh ShaggySensei!)

Oh, yeah, and TaP Soda. The vending machine outside of Shiroku refills every Monday with 5 sodas, buy that TaP every week and your SP woes will be far, far less.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 9, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I just finished Bioshock Infinite the other day, and for the whole time I couldn't place the voice of the player character Booker DeWitt, but it was always so familiar. Wasn't until the credits rolled around and I saw it was Troy Baker, aka Kanji Tatsumi, that it really hit me and it felt like the most "duuh" moment in forever. That Elizabeth was Laura Bailey (Rise) never struck me at all though; I guess I am used to her "Rise" voice which sounds the same in both Persona 4 and Catherine (where Troy Baker also voices the player character, and most of the main P4G cast has roles).

*Edit*

Oops, she was Lady Comstock, not Elizabeth. Welp, that explains why she didn't sound like her at all.

Afterwards I went through both of their IMDB entries and had a lot of "no way, that was HIM/HER?" moments, but then again I wasn't really aware of them as voice actors until I played Persona 4 Golden and got attached to the crew.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 9, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It gets really annoying really quickly. Recognising voice actors, I mean. It gets easier and easier and really pulls you out of the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

AG3 posted:

That Elizabeth was Laura Bailey (Rise)

I'm pretty sure she's not, actually. I think Laura Bailey voiced somebody else.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Terper posted:

It gets really annoying really quickly. Recognising voice actors, I mean. It gets easier and easier and really pulls you out of the game.

Yeah, up until recently I've only had that problem with Jennifer Hale (who also starred in Bioshock Infinite) after the Mass Effect series. She's a great voice actor, but she gets roles in tons of games and eventually I can't judge the characters she's voices purely on their own merits due to all the previous experiences with roles she has played.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Female protagonist in P3 Portable, I think. Not that she had much to say.

Unless I'm an idiot and you meant someone else in Bioshock, in which case I have no idea.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 9, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh yeah, I misread that. Well, that would explain why I thought she sounded nothing like her! She voiced Lady Comstock who has really few lines in the game.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AG3 posted:

I just finished Bioshock Infinite the other day, and for the whole time I couldn't place the voice of the player character Booker DeWitt, but it was always so familiar. Wasn't until the credits rolled around and I saw it was Troy Baker, aka Kanji Tatsumi, that it really hit me and it felt like the most "duuh" moment in forever. That Elizabeth was Laura Bailey (Rise) never struck me at all though; I guess I am used to her "Rise" voice which sounds the same in both Persona 4 and Catherine (where Troy Baker also voices the player character, and most of the main P4G cast has roles).

Afterwards I went through both of their IMDB entries and had a lot of "no way, that was HIM/HER?" moments, but then again I wasn't really aware of them as voice actors until I played Persona 4 Golden and got attached to the crew.

Elizabeth and Mitsuru are voiced by the same person by the way (Tara Platt).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Strange Quark posted:

Elizabeth and Mitsuru are voiced by the same person by the way (Tara Platt).

I played P3 FES with Japanese dubs so I wouldn't have caught that. I did play some of P3P, but not enough to really recognise her voice in a way other than "this sounds nothing like the Japanese voice".

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The one that was always funny to me was Laura Bailey playing Rise in P4 and Female Voice 1 in Saints Row 3. "Naked skydiving is worth its weight in gold" indeed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Troy Baker, of course, is more or less reprising his Saints Row role here.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
End Game Stuff:

Do you have to do Marie's Dungeon in order to fight Margaret?

I'm trying to get the platinum trophy, and that's the last trophy I need. As it turns out, I forgot to do one of the optional bosses before Magatsu Inaba though I did have a New Game+ save from right before beating Adachi. At this point, I'd really rather just fast-track to the end of New Game+ doing as little as possible, just to get to that fight. I enjoyed Marie's Dungeon the first couple of times, but I have no interest in doing it a third. Can I skip it and still get my fight, assuming I'm otherwise on track for the True Ending?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChetReckless posted:

End Game Stuff:

Do you have to do Marie's Dungeon in order to fight Margaret?

I'm trying to get the platinum trophy, and that's the last trophy I need. As it turns out, I forgot to do one of the optional bosses before Magatsu Inaba though I did have a New Game+ save from right before beating Adachi. At this point, I'd really rather just fast-track to the end of New Game+ doing as little as possible, just to get to that fight. I enjoyed Marie's Dungeon the first couple of times, but I have no interest in doing it a third. Can I skip it and still get my fight, assuming I'm otherwise on track for the True Ending?

Nope. All you need to do is max Empress before March 20 and make sure to enter the Velvet Room again after Igor gives you the Orb of Sight. You'll also need to have cleared the bonus boss in heaven by then.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I thought you had to clear all of the bonus bosses, not just the one in Heaven.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Troy Baker, of course, is more or less reprising his Saints Row role here.

Pretty much just default Troy Baker.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Strange Quark posted:

Nope. All you need to do is max Empress before March 20 and make sure to enter the Velvet Room again after Igor gives you the Orb of Sight. You'll also need to have cleared the bonus boss in heaven by then.

Thanks. It was a slog, but I fast-tracked my way back to Margaret and the platinum is now mine.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for the tidbits and stuff people. Made it through Yukikos castle today, after a minor gently caress up where I didn't realise I had a week to do the dungeon. I felt a little worried, cause every other day I had plans or was skipping out on people and couldn't go grind up more Personas or money, but I guess I should get over that, theres just so much to do and it feels like theres a strong time limit on everything. Could someone let me know how to unlock all the arcanas I won't get through the main story? Is there any, even?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Thanks for the tidbits and stuff people. Made it through Yukikos castle today, after a minor gently caress up where I didn't realise I had a week to do the dungeon. I felt a little worried, cause every other day I had plans or was skipping out on people and couldn't go grind up more Personas or money, but I guess I should get over that, theres just so much to do and it feels like theres a strong time limit on everything. Could someone let me know how to unlock all the arcanas I won't get through the main story? Is there any, even?

You'll get Fool, Magician, Chariot, Priestess, Star, Hermit, Lovers, Justice, and Judgement through the main story.

Strength and Sun you should already have, and Hanged Man will be available through a similar event at some point. Moon is available through getting Strength rank 4.

Temperance, Devil (requires Diligence level 3 or so,) and Tower (requires maximum Understanding) are available through the bulletin board for jobs in the shopping district. Death is available once you get Devil rank 4.

Emperor and Fortune are unlocked by talking to the requisite party members that you don't have yet around the school, but Fortune requires maximum Courage AND Knowledge.

Hierophant is accessed by just talking to Dojima at night on his days off. He gets more of them if you complete dungeons early, so make that a priority. His and Nanako's links require Expression and Understanding at certain ranks.

Empress is available at some point once you go into the Velvet Room with Rank 3 Understanding.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

You'll get Fool, Magician, Chariot, Priestess, Star, Hermit, Lovers, Justice, and Judgement through the main story.

Strength and Sun you should already have, and Hanged Man will be available through a similar event at some point. Moon is available through getting Strength rank 4.

Temperance, Devil (requires Diligence level 3 or so,) and Tower (requires maximum Understanding) are available through the bulletin board for jobs in the shopping district. Death is available once you get Devil rank 4.

Emperor and Fortune are unlocked by talking to the requisite party members that you don't have yet around the school, but Fortune requires maximum Courage AND Knowledge.

Hierophant is accessed by just talking to Dojima at night on his days off. He gets more of them if you complete dungeons early, so make that a priority. His and Nanako's links require Expression and Understanding at certain ranks.

Empress is available at some point once you go into the Velvet Room with Rank 3 Understanding.

Pretty sure you need Knowledge for Empress, not Understanding.

KoB
May 1, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Moon requires lvl 2 courage or something like that as well.

Empress doesnt take time to complete. You can theoretically do it all in one day near the end if you want.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KoB posted:

Moon requires lvl 2 courage or something like that as well.

Level 3, actually.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Keep in mind that Death can be done in 10 events no matter what you choose during the events, but it can only be done on Sunday/holidays.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I cant believe that I just now noticed that the colorful stripes on the glasses frames are a TV test pattern. I love the little details in this game, what are some other things I might have missed?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Grundma posted:

I cant believe that I just now noticed that the colorful stripes on the glasses frames are a TV test pattern. I love the little details in this game, what are some other things I might have missed?

Persona 3 calendar in your room?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I'm on my second playthrough trying to do different things (romancing everyone's favorite pointy-headed melodramatist instead of Chie, using Yosuke in battle ever, etc.) and it still amazes me how good this game is. All of the writing is great, and the voice acting just makes it so much better. The callback trip to Gekkoukan was a great thing and I wish more RPGs would have that kind of call back.

E: agreeing with others that the best lines in the games are when you get to make Yosuke GAY PANIC. Or bring up Saki out of nowhere. Basically Yosuke is so much better than Junpei at being team whipping boy.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 17, 2013

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

So I'm playing this for the first time in Japanese and after seeing all the fuss about Chie getting a new voice actor, I decided to find some voice clips on Youtube to see how the English voice actors compared to the originals.

Chie's old VA was godawful, I can't imagine anyone liking that voice. She sounds like a 40 year-old from Wisconsin, which is not really what I expect from a Japanese high school student. Her new VA actually sounds relatively similar to the Japanese one. Also what the hell did they do to Yousuke? He sounds like he should have a pocket protector in English, his voice is cracking all over the place.

Anyway, just felt like throwing that in after I saw all of the "this voice is the REAL voice" comments in here. Here's a video for anybody who hasn't heard the original cast, which I think is all pretty good! Really liking this game a lot. The battle music is the best thing ever.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I really liked Chie's English voice in the original P4. It was pleasant. I don't like this one at all. But hey, different tastes.

I've been thinking about how it bothers me that it's possible to have multiple romances in this game. It disrupts the suspension of disbelief. It would be awesome if the other characters acknowledged it when you started dating someone. It could be some small, VA-less dialogue. It would've also been cool if other characters started dating each other. It feels really dumb to be the only character who is able to date.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I agree, Erin's voice work is a much better fit. She just sounds so much more like (A) a young girl, and (B) a huge dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rurik posted:

I've been thinking about how it bothers me that it's possible to have multiple romances in this game. It disrupts the suspension of disbelief. It would be awesome if the other characters acknowledged it when you started dating someone. It could be some small, VA-less dialogue. It would've also been cool if other characters started dating each other. It feels really dumb to be the only character who is able to date.

Sometimes it is acknowledged, at the fireworks event Chie accidentally let on that we'd gone to the shrine twice and everyone else was like "Wait, what?". But yeah, generally not.

For what it's worth, a couple of the Harvest Moon games (from memory, 64 did it, not sure if Back To Nature/FOMT did) had the bachelorettes marry off eventually, whether you got married or not.

• Locked thread