Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Andrevian posted:

Really, the Awesome should probably be saved for last. If you kill the other two, well, PPCs have a min range. Then you stay two hexes from the sucker, so it can't punch you, and you circle like a monster.

People keep saying that about PPCs as if that's a panacea. It's not. Staying at two hexes has the same +2 penalty to hit that being at medium range would be. If the Awesome is willing to shoot you from 7-12 hexes away, and it is, it's also going to shoot you at two hexes. Yes, being at two hexes means you can use your short range guns, and all the Awesome is adding is a Small Laser, but don't think that being in someone's minimum range means that they can't hit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

jng2058 posted:

People keep saying that about PPCs as if that's a panacea. It's not. Staying at two hexes has the same +2 penalty to hit that being at medium range would be. If the Awesome is willing to shoot you from 7-12 hexes away, and it is, it's also going to shoot you at two hexes. Yes, being at two hexes means you can use your short range guns, and all the Awesome is adding is a Small Laser, but don't think that being in someone's minimum range means that they can't hit you.

Indeed. The Awesome should be taken out first, since doing that will cut the Kestral's long range firepower nearly in half, and that'll make it less likely that our snipers will go down from a lucky hit. Remember, we're so badly beat up at the moment that we can't survive a close range brawl.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
It's not a panacea, but it's better than nothing. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

The best is to be in its rear arc on the side where it has no arm gun. Then it can't hit you at all, and you can laugh and do whatever you want to it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Andrevian posted:

It's not a panacea, but it's better than nothing. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

The best is to be in its rear arc on the side where it has no arm gun. Then it can't hit you at all, and you can laugh and do whatever you want to it.

Or the side arc on that side (but back far enough to avoid shots via torso twist), for the Blindside bonus, depending on the situation. Although that is specific only to this mission, considering the special ability isn't exactly likely to show up any other time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

Bear in mind that it can be useful if you can set up an easier shot that can afford to soak a hit or two. In the current context it is no longer relevant.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was going to say something about how, with some of you having your long range weaponry more or less kaput, you were gonna have to get crazy. But it just seems crazy coming out of a disembodied JJJ head.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, I was gonna ask, what's with that Av?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's from Deadpool #7. I did not buy this one (I was gonna use Tony Stark for reasons that should be obvious to everyone).

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Defiance Industries posted:

It's from Deadpool #7. I did not buy this one (I was gonna use Tony Stark for reasons that should be obvious to everyone).

I could see JJJ running Defiance.

"Parker, you were supposed to have those VLAR260XLs onto the Axeman line ten minutes ago!"

"Ms. Brant, get my wife on the phone, tell her to stop using the HPG to order shoes!"

"Somebody tell me why we haven't blown up that SDR-5V yet!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Now you have me picturing an alternate universe BattleTech where "Lostech" just means corporate espionage happened and the plans for Endo Steel were briefly stolen by a spy. Oh, and the Great Houses are largely powerless.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Now you have me picturing an alternate universe BattleTech where "Lostech" just means corporate espionage happened and the plans for Endo Steel were briefly stolen by a spy. Oh, and the Great Houses are largely powerless.

So Battletech meets Armored Core?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Cyber(Mecha?)punk Battletech?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Clan decks destroy twice the ICE in half the time with roms that require one-quarter the memory.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I actually postulated a universe like that. Basically it started when Defiance, CMW, IrTech and Earthwerks-FWL refused to sell in response to 1SW tactics, which ended up de-escalating war along the Bolan Front. They formed what was essentially a protectionist trade union calling itself the Board if Directors so they wouldn't get blown up (and also, they were concerned that their House taking a major industrial world from the enemy would give them another business rival). Most major weapons conglomerates got on board with this and joined in. The Combine, however, managed to nationalize LAW and most of its other facilities, and as a result sits mostly outside the Board's jurisdiction, making them the default scary enemy empire like in the good old days. Likewise, Periphery powers give no fucks about rules. Some, like the MH, TC and MoC, are much more dangerous for that reason.

Basically, with nobody willing to threaten industrial worlds anymore, the Succession War (still the first one) has been running without end for about 400 years. The worlds are mainly targeted for being command centers or resource-richness. It's kind of a cyclical thing where a by-the-rules war will run for a while, then there will be a big Combine or Periphery invasion that will draw attention in one way or another, and when that's done they to back to slap fighting.

Meanwhile, ComStar and the Board fight shadow wars. ComStar holds much of the old TH as a protectorate, and those worlds maintain the sizable tech edge they had during the Star League. So the Board has guys going in there and trying to steal poo poo like always. ComStar retaliates with industrial sabotage, currency manipulation, and arming those pesky Periphery nations at various intervals.

We ran a couple games in it before I realized I didn't have the time to write that much material for free.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Clan decks destroy twice the ICE in half the time with roms that require one-quarter the memory.

Clan jokes get run into the ground twice as fast with half the hilarity.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Cease to Hope posted:

I already heard that one. You gotta be fresh to make it in the clan joke business.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

I already heard that one. You gotta be fresh to make it in the clan joke business.

I would think its the opposite. If they die at 31.7 years old or whatever there's probably a ton of jokes they haven't heard yet.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cease to Hope posted:

Clan jokes irritate posters twice as quickly with half the effort.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Clan posters get banned twice as quickly with half of the posts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clantech jokes. Ah, well.

We don't have all orders in on the doc and we're coming up to the deadline again, so I'm hoping everyone's sent orders in by now. I should probably send an extra set of contingency orders in case not, though, as I really don't want to fall on the poor Merlin's head while Farseli's away.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

JT Jag posted:

The Blood of TastyArmageddon runs strong in the Clans.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

JT Jag posted:

Clanners have to earn their posting privileges back through a Trial of Probation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
i just wanted to bbe a warrior

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

We don't have all orders in on the doc and we're coming up to the deadline again, so I'm hoping everyone's sent orders in by now.

I'll be starting my update as soon as I get home tonight (so, slightly less than four hours). I'm kinda hoping that myself.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Goonstarcompany better not blow this poo poo now by another turn of botched orders like earlier in the mission! WE'VE COME TOO FAR FOR THIS!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You know what would be a sweet rule? If the players all get their orders in withing 24 hours of the last update, the opfor has a small chance of having one of its mechs get similarly distracted.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Clantech jokes. Ah, well.

We don't have all orders in on the doc and we're coming up to the deadline again, so I'm hoping everyone's sent orders in by now. I should probably send an extra set of contingency orders in case not, though, as I really don't want to fall on the poor Merlin's head while Farseli's away.

You should send contingency orders.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm under enough constraints as it is; but I'm considering moving to a hard schedule rather than a soft one.

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011
PTN, I didn't email but in case it's even a question: Hastur is staying inside the dropship.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

I would think its the opposite. If they die at 31.7 years old or whatever there's probably a ton of jokes they haven't heard yet.

I'm guessing that's for the warrior caste and includes violent death? It'd be terrifying and funny if the Clans actually studied and implemented reverse gerentology.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 4, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, warriors are expected to die in combat by then and tend to get shuffled off into suicide squads once they reach a certain age without dying in glorious battle. This is why designs like the Hunchback IIC exist.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Diamond Sharks let warriors who live long enough move down into lower castes, usually merchant or technician. Other than that...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Diamond Sharks let warriors who live long enough move down into lower castes, usually merchant or technician. Other than that...

Every Clan does that. The issue is, the warrior culture is so ingrained most choose to join suicide squad infantry.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

You should send contingency orders.

Done and done.

Subterfrugal posted:

You know what would be a sweet rule? If the players all get their orders in withing 24 hours of the last update, the opfor has a small chance of having one of its mechs get similarly distracted.

Sad part is, if I'm the only one remaining, this would be pretty easy to qualify for. :v:

EDIT: I see! Well, logging that into the doc in the State of the Scenario. Guess our heavily-damaged teammates have a concrete objective to work towards, then!

Runa fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 4, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
With my extremely limited numbers (and godawful mobility), the players could bum-rush and board the dropships and blast off for the partial victory. I might be able to interrupt one or two of them with damage if they're poorly positioned.

I just haven't said anything because nobody's quite in range for a private message asking "Would you like to board ship yes/no"

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
On one hand, it would be really awesome to achieve a partial victory and leave those Davion currs sitting there to pick up the pieces of their shattered battalion.

On the other hand, if we do kill those three remaining Assaults, just /think/ of the loving salvage we'll gain! :swoon:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every Clan does that. The issue is, the warrior culture is so ingrained most choose to join suicide squad infantry.

Okay, then it's just Diamond Sharks who actually do it?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Rorahusky posted:

On one hand, it would be really awesome to achieve a partial victory and leave those Davion currs sitting there to pick up the pieces of their shattered battalion.

On the other hand, if we do kill those three remaining Assaults, just /think/ of the loving salvage we'll gain! :swoon:

Too bad we can't just have the Salamanders and DC infantry swarm these last few mechs. That would turn this fight quickly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hell's Horses tend to retire old 'mechwarriors to vehicle crews though, rather than stick them in suicide 'mechs. Goliath Scorpions have much less stigma against older 'mechwarriors, since they don't have enough to go around anyway (a side effect of drinking goddamn poison as part of your training) and actively try to conserve resources and pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Diamond Sharks don't attach an artificial stigma to being merchants like the rest of the Clans do. I imagine plenty of Star Adders and Coyotes retire to the scientist caste for the same reason.

• Locked thread