Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

iostream.h posted:

I don't get it, could you clarify please?

That Steve is such a spoilsport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

iostream.h posted:

You're all spoilsports who should move to Desert Bluffs.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So far, my favorite episode is the Sandstorm. I like the show they way it is, having the weather be music just made sense to me given the logic of the show. Strangely enough, one of my friends found you guys without me even telling her about it. Spooky!

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
cant believe I have just found this - pimped it out to pretty much everyone I know

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

iostream.h posted:

They're being ol' spoilsports like Steve

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
Sooo, I love this sort of story, strange mysterious happenings and all. Are there any other podcasts like this one out there? Or is Night Vale alone in its creepy funny near perfection?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Can't believe I didn't catch this before. Absolutely love it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

RicochetD20 posted:

They're being ol' spoilsports like Steve
Yeah, I had a total forehead smacking moment earlier.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Sooo, I love this sort of story, strange mysterious happenings and all. Are there any other podcasts like this one out there? Or is Night Vale alone in its creepy funny near perfection?

As far as I've seen, there aren't any other podcasts doing this sort of thing well yet. Podcasts are pretty much all dominated by interviews, stand-up, and hosted shows. I'm surprised radio drama hasn't returned yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rotinaj posted:

As far as I've seen, there aren't any other podcasts doing this sort of thing well yet. Podcasts are pretty much all dominated by interviews, stand-up, and hosted shows. I'm surprised radio drama hasn't returned yet.

It's out there. Just none that I've found like this. There's some radio drama ranging from not bad to slightly above terrible out there but they have spotty update schedules.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay I've never listened to a podcast before. I noticed I can listen to each episode in quicktime through firefox. But is there a way I can listen to these on my iphone? It'd be cool to lay down and listen to these at night.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bash Ironfist posted:

Okay I've never listened to a podcast before. I noticed I can listen to each episode in quicktime through firefox. But is there a way I can listen to these on my iphone? It'd be cool to lay down and listen to these at night.

There's lots of apps for it. I just use the default Apple-made "Podcasts" app, but there's a whole bunch with all sorts of features.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

rotinaj posted:

There's lots of apps for it. I just use the default Apple-made "Podcasts" app, but there's a whole bunch with all sorts of features.

Sweet. Yeah, just a basic app will do for me, just want to listen to this, thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rotinaj posted:

I use the default one but I really with the still left it lumped into the music portion. I liked that list view more than the thumbnails.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Bellicose Buddha posted:

While it is sketch based vs ongoing story and was a radio show, you may want to see if you can track down any of Chris Morris's "Blue Jam" work. There is a bunch of the skits on youtube and I believe the bbc had it up for download some time back.

Similar horror as comedy type stuff with downtempo and triphop soundtracks, strange monologues and odd skits. The whole thing has a very dreamlike quality to it.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Bash Ironfist posted:

You can download them through iTunes and transfer them to your iPhone. Plus, with iTunes you can open up the track options and tell it to treat it like a music or audiobook file rather than a podcast, so it won't disappear after you've listened to it once.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
My favorite part of this latest episode is when Cecil gets angry with himself for forgetting the basic info from transdimensional migration[?] studies. I want to take that course.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do you think there's any chance of getting an occasional Desert Bluff episode? I kind of want to know more about their terrifying Big Pharma run town.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Coatlicue posted:

My favorite part of this latest episode is when Cecil gets angry with himself for forgetting the basic info from transdimensional migration[?] studies. I want to take that course.

According to the script, it's "Transmigration Studies"

Len posted:

Do you think there's any chance of getting an occasional Desert Bluff episode? I kind of want to know more about their terrifying Big Pharma run town.

Yes.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I'd be really curious to see if (Episode 19 A/B Spoilers) The Horror-version of Desert Bluffs the Cecil saw after he went through the portal was the real version, or if his perceptions were being twisted. I could see it being either way.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Watuhboy posted:

I'd be really curious to see if (Episode 19 A/B Spoilers) The Horror-version of Desert Bluffs the Cecil saw after he went through the portal was the real version, or if his perceptions were being twisted. I could see it being either way.

I'm pretty sure it was the real version. Otherwise the guy from Desert Bluffs noting that Cecil's desk was not covered in blood would be pretty out of nowhere.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Viridiant posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the real version. Otherwise the guy from Desert Bluffs noting that Cecil's desk was not covered in blood would be pretty out of nowhere.

Just listened back to it and yep, he sure does call the desk 'bloodless'. He also mentions the walls being 'drier'.

Welp. :stare:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

maxnmona posted:

According to the script, it's "Transmigration Studies"

Yes.

I can't wait.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Just echoing that the two parter was really innovative and made me smile like a loon when I realized at the end of part a what part b was going to be about.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Shuffling this in with CONELRAD on my playlist.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Welcome to Desert Bluffs is incredibly soothing.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
Soooo... Is it that despite its sinister appearance and paranoia, Night Vale is actually pretty much the "good" town, where as Desert Bluffs is filled with corporate psychopaths who seem pleasant but make decorations out of their victims? Cause after someone pointed it out the office... Yeah... Thought it was from the desert bluff intern double who gashed her head open and that Cecil was just freaking out, but yeah that doesn't add up. :stare:

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

I Before E posted:

Welcome to Desert Bluffs is incredibly soothing.

Yes, all the Desert Bluffs music was great.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

aricoarena posted:

Yes, all the Desert Bluffs music was great.

Thanks, it was my first attempt at writing soundtrack type music.

Here is all the tracks for anyone who cares: https://soundcloud.com/planetoffinks/sets/desert-bluffs-soundtrack

Also we now have a fan made episode guide: http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Pilot

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Holy crap this is good I just found this thread. I'm only on episode 5 now but it just keeps getting better and better. I really liked the episode about the stations management and the weather reports are always worth listening too. Thanks for this.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Soooo... Is it that despite its sinister appearance and paranoia, Night Vale is actually pretty much the "good" town, where as Desert Bluffs is filled with corporate psychopaths who seem pleasant but make decorations out of their victims? Cause after someone pointed it out the office... Yeah... Thought it was from the desert bluff intern double who gashed her head open and that Cecil was just freaking out, but yeah that doesn't add up. :stare:
I think it might be stretching it to call Night Vale "good", Desert Bluffs is just awful. Cecil has been pretty much saying this the entire time.
I like to think of it this way: each town in this reality has it's own founding Elder God, so the towns follow the theme of the God that resides buried deep under the town.

EDIT: Man those Desert Bluffs themes were really good, the second one with the accordian was especially great.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 4, 2013

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
This is amazing. I had intended on listening to one episode per night while I got caught up, but I find myself going through three or four every night. It's a fantastic, if slightly unsettling, way to relax before bed. Thank you so much for this podcast.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Carlos is a butt and a terrible scientist. :colbert:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

rotinaj posted:

Carlos is a butt and a terrible scientist. :colbert:

Steve Carlsburg SA account confirmed.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I do think that the voicemail from Carlos has been the only real misstep so far. No offense to whoever did Carlos's lines (Joseph?), but I got a couldn't-get-another-voice-actor-in-time vibe from it. It definitely didn't match up with how Carlos had been described, but maybe that was intentional, like maybe Night Vale's impression of Carlos is completely off.

Kevin, on the other hand, was great, and I look forward to more from Desert Bluffs.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

I do think that the voicemail from Carlos has been the only real misstep so far. No offense to whoever did Carlos's lines (Joseph?), but I got a couldn't-get-another-voice-actor-in-time vibe from it. It definitely didn't match up with how Carlos had been described, but maybe that was intentional, like maybe Night Vale's impression of Carlos is completely off.

Kevin, on the other hand, was great, and I look forward to more from Desert Bluffs.

I think it made total sense. Cecil is head over heels for Carlos, so it makes sense that everything he reads about him is this idealized version of Carlos.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Have we heard how Cecils date with Carlos went? I hope it went well :ohdear:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

That was Jeffrey actually. We originally did it with Lou of Lou Reads The Internet, who has a great voice, but we decided that Carlos was such a major character we wanted to keep his voice with someone who could be called up to do it last second at any point. It was actually Cecil who recommended Jeffrey, and I agree with him. Jeffrey has this great "expert" voice that I think works perfectly.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Listening to the Pilot episode now. Seems cool so far. Does it have a overarching story or is it just weird happenings in a small desert town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I loved how in the most recent episode Cecil's impression of Old Woman Josie seemed to be a gruff, burly voice.