Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
This weird new brand has been making the rounds, though I dunno how good they are:

http://www.3blenders.com/Omniblenders.html

Wow, it seems like there are all sorts of wacky alternatives jumping into the ring:

http://www.amazon.com/MTN-kitchenwareTM-Heavy-Commercial-Blender/dp/B004ZTA5KC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_4

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

bingbangbong posted:

If you're going to make all this crazy poo poo just get a Cuisinart with a big heavy motor. It'll be more versatile and come in well below $400.
Wrong. Vitamix is special. You won't understand until you've used one.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Nothing is more versatile than a vitamix; except a robot coupe with all the attachments(which would be somewhere around 1600-2k).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Wrong. Vitamix is special. You won't understand until you've used one.

yeah, I used one for the first time to make some hummus in someone else's house and seriously did a doubletake once I started using it. definitely a 'god drat' shock and awe moment.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I used one for the first time to make some hummus in someone else's house and seriously did a doubletake once I started using it. definitely a 'god drat' shock and awe moment.

Use a robot coupe with the serrated blade. That will blow your mind. Especially when you realize the serrated blade is great for chopping massive amounts of herbs without bruising them.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
It's an electric motor and a spinning blade. Why is it $400?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

indoflaven posted:

Because there's more than one type of electric motor?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Also it's 2+ horsepower which is probably 2-3x more than even your garbage disposal.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

indoflaven posted:

Because it lasts forever, can run for 20+ minutes without burning out, great repair-ability, warranty, commercial quality, etc, etc.

Are there any home model food processors that are built like robot coupes? Base, body, lid, blade?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
For what its worth my £20 upside down beaker style, Kenwood "smoothie 2go" chops up kale, spinach, frozen fruit, peanuts, hazelnuts an rolled oats just fine.

I've no vitamix experience to compare the results with mind.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

indoflaven posted:

Well it's priced considering it's competition, it's perceived value for money and reliability, and the competition's perceived value for money and reliabilty.
That's how things work in the world. Why does a diamond cost so much?

We got the :australia: mark up here and it's about $900! What a rort when $1Au~$1US.
Stuff that, I bought a $180 Breville which seems decent, would have considered the vitamix if it was $400 since even the Breville retails at $240 but I got a discount and Breville seem to be on a roll these days with decent home gear.
The alternative is brands that don't enjoy large market share in the Au market, which like I said, ends up a rip off like paying $900 for a vitamix, while Breville trades in Au.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 1, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
If it's 2+ horsepower, that's a lot of motor. Depending on duty cycle, just the motor could run you $200 or more easy. I'm sure there's plenty of mark-up due to low volumes and being sold to businesses instead of home users, but $400 isn't really unreasonable, especially if you factor in stuff like good warranties and business-grade customer support costs,

Yeah, you can ask just how much a normal person would actually get out of that much power, which is valid, but it doesn't seem that crazy to me if we ignore that part and just look at the specs of what you get.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Most people will buy an R2 Dice or Dice Ultra.

Power: 2 HP—Single phase.
1 speed: 1725 rpm.
Induction motor. Magnetic safety system and motor brake.
Delivered with:
3 Qt. stainless steel cutter bowl in ABS polycarbonate and stainless steel “S” blade included.
Vegetable preparation attachment with external ejection.
2 disc and dicing kit included: R209 (2mm) 5/64" grating disc and R211 (4mm) 5/32" slicing disc plus 27265 dicing kit (10mm) 3/8.
3 year motor warranty, 1 year parts and labor.

Yeah, that's worth the money. Some of the much higher end processors they offer can mass produce brunoise cuts, juliennes, batonets, etc. A commercial food processor is always worth the money.

For the home cook, an R2 Dice with attachments would literally last a lifetime, and the sturdy design will more than likely never change(it hasn't in the past 25 years) so you can always get more parts.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

For those interested in such things, Vitamixes are also all made in northern Ohio.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MeKeV posted:

For what its worth my £20 upside down beaker style, Kenwood "smoothie 2go" chops up kale, spinach, frozen fruit, peanuts, hazelnuts an rolled oats just fine.

I've no vitamix experience to compare the results with mind.

yeah, blenders work just fine. I have a blender. it works fine.

just saying, when I used a vitamix, it was holyfuckville all in that kitchen. when I use a normal blender, it's ok. when I used a vitamix, my heart skipped a beat. it's like, you've been with your wife for 15 years, and she's great and all - but then some really dirty rear end entirely too young skanky girl walks in the room with a way too short skirt and some cheap made in china mock-leather boots she never should have been wearing in the first place and like way too much obviously overdone makeup that you objectively find disgusting, but she's caught you at just the right moment and you're like 'oh gently caress, I could really get in to this. I shouldn't - it's going to cost me more than it's really worth - but.................'

the blender is filthy, is what I'm trying to get at - in the best possible way

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 3, 2013

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Anyone have any experience with Smeg ovens and or ranges? We are looking at 48 inch cooktops, possibly with oven(s) as well. We've looked at Viking (pricey, but awesome), and Smeg appears to be a relative newcomer to the states, so it's hard to find many reviews.

http://www.smegusa.com/product/a3xu6/

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

mediaphage posted:

For those interested in such things, Vitamixes are also all made in northern Ohio.

Speaking of Vitamixes, which model should I be looking for and what is considered a good price? The CIA Professional Series is on sale for $425 right now on Amazon (which seems to be one of the lowest historical prices). Is there is a different model that would be better?

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
It depends what you mean by better. There is a newer line of Vitamixes with a different shaped container. Otherwise, they have a weird naming/numbering scheme, and a bad habit of rebranding the same model. I believe the CIA is identical to the 5200, if I remember correctly. I have the CIA in red, but if I were looking to buy one now, I'd check Costco first.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Fo3 posted:

I bought a $180 Breville which seems decent, would have considered the vitamix if it was $400 since even the Breville retails at $240 but I got a discount and Breville seem to be on a roll these days with decent home gear.
The alternative is brands that don't enjoy large market share in the Au market, which like I said, ends up a rip off like paying $900 for a vitamix, while Breville trades in Au.
I picked up that Breville Hemisphere control for like $150 on an Amazon sale and I've been thrilled with it. When my $50 Broan poo poo out on me I thought I'd step it up, and the Breville was a nice middle ground. I only use it once or twice a week so I couldn't justify the Vitamix price, I have a food processor so it's really a single purpose beverage producer and I've been really happy with my Breville burr grinder so I felt pretty confident buying it. I've still never used a Vitamix, but I will say the Breville is twice as nice as any of the other dozen or so blenders I've tried. Looks better than the Vita imo too

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 3, 2013

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
My only beef with my Vitamix is for thicker concoctions, you really have to work at stirring with the black thing constantly or a pocket will form around the blades and your stuff won't blend. I hear one of the advantages of the Blendtec is the two vs four blade design allows better circulation of your mixture. I have no idea whether this is true.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tenderloin posted:

Speaking of Vitamixes, which model should I be looking for and what is considered a good price? The CIA Professional Series is on sale for $425 right now on Amazon (which seems to be one of the lowest historical prices). Is there is a different model that would be better?

Here's a good comparison: http://joyofblending.com/which-vitamix-to-buy/

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

tonedef131 posted:

I picked up that Breville Hemisphere control for like $150 on an Amazon sale and I've been thrilled with it. When my $50 Broan poo poo out on me I thought I'd step it up, and the Breville was a nice middle ground. I only use it once or twice a week so I couldn't justify the Vitamix price, I have a food processor so it's really a single purpose beverage producer and I've been really happy with my Breville burr grinder so I felt pretty confident buying it. I've still never used a Vitamix, but I will say the Breville is twice as nice as any of the other dozen or so blenders I've tried. Looks better than the Vita imo too

Yeah, looks like the one I got.
Here, the bottom of the top range is called the kinetix, cheapest one is $180 and called the BBL605 but there are higher models.
I started throwing a smoothie mixture together since last week and chuck in full size big ice cubes from a typical tray, plus frozen banana and pressed the "smoothie" button to run a pre programmed multi-speed function for 1 min. Not a single ice chip left. Sounded scary at first thinking I may break it though, but no problems with the ice at all.
Needed another minute on puree to mince up the oatmeal enough though.

Bought it after some reviews seemed positive and the price was right, plus I bought the dual boiler espresso machine and smart grinder early last year and have been happy with them, so why not?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 3, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Odd that they don't include the Vita-Prep 3, which is what's actually used in pro kitchens.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

Odd that they don't include the Vita-Prep 3, which is what's actually used in pro kitchens.

It's not odd at all. Those are the models that Vitamix sells to consumers, despite the 'pro' branding. Vita Preps have worse warranties, generally, since they're expected to get far more, and harder, use.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

It's not odd at all. Those are the models that Vitamix sells to consumers, despite the 'pro' branding. Vita Preps have worse warranties, generally, since they're expected to get far more, and harder, use.
Understood, I just assumed with the current wave of pro-sumer customers it would be an obvious inclusion for an article like that.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I love my Vitamix, use it at least a few times a week, and I have never regretted the purchase.

speaking of Vitamix, just got an email from they stating they are now doing certified reconditioned units.
https://secure.vitamix.com/Reconditioned-Blenders.aspx

niss fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 3, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

niss posted:

I love my Vitamix, use it at least a few times a week, and I have never regretted the purchase.

speaking of Vitamix, just got an email from they stating they are now doing certified reconditioned units.
https://secure.vitamix.com/Reconditioned-Blenders.aspx

Ahaha, they've been doing those for a while. Nice job sneaking in a reseller link, though. :)

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

mediaphage posted:

Ahaha, they've been doing those for a while. Nice job sneaking in a reseller link, though. :)

Oh sorry, hope I didn't do anything against the rules. Didn't realize thats what that was. Updated the link

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

niss posted:

Oh sorry, hope I didn't do anything against the rules. Didn't realize thats what that was. Updated the link

Oh, no rules against that, no worries. I'm just a dick.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've had a Thermapen for about three weeks now and I am utterly amazed at how versatile and useful it is.

It's one of those things that really makes you look back and think, "How did I ever live without this?"

Highly, HIGHLY recommended.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

mindphlux posted:

yeah, blenders work just fine. I have a blender. it works fine.

just saying, when I used a vitamix, it was holyfuckville all in that kitchen. when I use a normal blender, it's ok. when I used a vitamix, my heart skipped a beat. it's like, you've been with your wife for 15 years, and she's great and all - but then some really dirty rear end entirely too young skanky girl walks in the room with a way too short skirt and some cheap made in china mock-leather boots she never should have been wearing in the first place and like way too much obviously overdone makeup that you objectively find disgusting, but she's caught you at just the right moment and you're like 'oh gently caress, I could really get in to this. I shouldn't - it's going to cost me more than it's really worth - but.................'

the blender is filthy, is what I'm trying to get at - in the best possible way

Ban this sick filth

EDIT ok I just realized recommendations are in the thread OP. After the death of a blender/food processor combo thing, I think I will try the Ninja blender and a Cuisinart food processor maybe.

toby fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 4, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The op was updated with a product guide

edit: cool

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

The Midniter posted:

I've had a Thermapen for about three weeks now and I am utterly amazed at how versatile and useful it is.

It's one of those things that really makes you look back and think, "How did I ever live without this?"

Agreed. I use it for all kinds of things I never expected to. I'm sure a cheaper thermometer would probably work nearly as well in most applications but I spent the money on a ThermaPen and I don't regret it a bit.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ChetReckless posted:

I use it for all kinds of things I never expected to.

The last time I boiled eggs I overboiled the poo poo out of them. I wanted to avoid this so the next time I did it, I looked up the temp at which the yolk should be before it starts creating those nasty sulphur odors (170), and tested the eggs periodically. The Thermapen tip is narrow and sharp enough to spear right into the egg without compromising the structural integrity of the shell, and wouldn't you know, soon I had 16 perfectly hardboiled eggs.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I have a cheap black&decker food processor. It works, has a grater and slicer attachment, along with the standard S blade. But it has so many goddamn parts to put together and clean! Rod is not attached to processor, it attaches to bowl, then s blade goes on that, then there's a lid, and a lid for that lid, then a pusher that has to go in that 2nd lid or else it won't turn on.

What I want here is something for home that is as simple as a robot coupe. Base, bowl, lid, blade. Nothing else, no bullshit safety features. Just a food processor.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, thermapens own pretty friggin hard. If you're even considering getting one at some point you should just pull the trigger already. Such a great piece of kitchen gear.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I have a cheap black&decker food processor. It works, has a grater and slicer attachment, along with the standard S blade. But it has so many goddamn parts to put together and clean! Rod is not attached to processor, it attaches to bowl, then s blade goes on that, then there's a lid, and a lid for that lid, then a pusher that has to go in that 2nd lid or else it won't turn on.

What I want here is something for home that is as simple as a robot coupe. Base, bowl, lid, blade. Nothing else, no bullshit safety features. Just a food processor.

The nicer kitchenaids are that. As are the cuisinarts, I believe.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, thermapens own pretty friggin hard. If you're even considering getting one at some point you should just pull the trigger already. Such a great piece of kitchen gear.

I made the most ridiculously moist butterflied chicken last night after finally remember to use my thermapen. Put chicken into cast iron skillet, threw into hot oven, 50 minutes and two checks later with the thermapen, and this chicken is :krad:

Now to use it with bread. :woop:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

The nicer kitchenaids are that. As are the cuisinarts, I believe.

The Kitchenaids used to be nice and simple, but they were discontinued and now we have this Kitchenaid Exactslice/Preciseslice thing that's getting very lukewarm reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Doh004 posted:

Now to use it with bread. :woop:

I've been playing around with some different techniques/temperatures/whatever with bread and my thermapen has been invaluable, since the outside doesn't always reflect how done it is inside.

• Locked thread