Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

How do the eagles fit? Which ones would fit most like the bauer 4 rolls? (which bauer describes as "classic") I tried on all the current model ones at the store and didn't really like anything else.. they felt tight in weird spots or had weird plastic bits that made them feel stiff.

Don't see any dealers in the chicago area so I'd have to order them sight unseen.

I would not describe them as tight in any one spot nor are there any plastic bits. I tried on the APX gloves at HockeyMonkey and it felt tight. Eagles are not tight and from what I remember they came very much broken in. But that was 7 or 8 years ago?

However, they are the H34 model that I have were a limited run. I can't speak to the new Eagle gloves but I assume they are a similar quality? And you can always return them if you don't like the way they feel for the cost of postage both ways.

And my edge socks aren't that long and I'm shorter than that so idk what they did to yours or mine? I hate them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sockchat: I'm 5'8" and I have the Reeboks in Intermediate size. My shinpads are 15".

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

How do the eagles fit? Which ones would fit most like the bauer 4 rolls? (which bauer describes as "classic") I tried on all the current model ones at the store and didn't really like anything else.. they felt tight in weird spots or had weird plastic bits that made them feel stiff.

Don't see any dealers in the chicago area so I'd have to order them sight unseen.

Why don't you just get bauer 4 rolls? I have these gloves and they are seriously the best gloves I've ever used. They are relatively cheap, on sale for $90, compared to the other high end styles which usually cost around $150-170

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Iirc from the gear poll 4 rolls are SA's most popular piece of gear. Also, I got some since then and they are cool and $90 is a good price.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

Why don't you just get bauer 4 rolls? I have these gloves and they are seriously the best gloves I've ever used. They are relatively cheap, on sale for $90, compared to the other high end styles which usually cost around $150-170

Because I asked what gloves require the least re-palming and everyone in the thread said BUY EAGLES!! :v:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Because I asked what gloves require the least re-palming and everyone in the thread said BUY EAGLES!! :v:

Eagles do have the best palms. They had to stop selling just their palms because people were getting all of their non Eagle gloves re-palmed with them instead of buying eagle gloves. They figured that if people wanted those palms enough, they would just buy the complete glove.

Also, 4 roll style gloves are the best, I just got a new pair of 9k reebok 4 roll style gloves and they feel really nice and light with a lot of mobility, but if I could get Easton EQ pro gloves with a Eagle palm I would just be :3:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Pure hockey just sent me an email about putting those Bauer 4roll Pros on sale, they must be monitoring the thread.

here is the link http://www.purehockey.com/bauer-4-r...tm_medium=email

White gloves to go with those tinted visors, just add a #69 jersey to hit the trifecta.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
I, too, use the Bauer 4-Roll Pros. The palm has held up pretty well but I use one layer of white tape and then one thin layer of that self-adhesive tape that seems to be all the rage in roller right now. It's really saved the palm of the gloves, or so I'd like to imagine.

If I could only find the same Holy-Cross pattern 4-Rolls elsewhere, I'd buy like 4 pair.

I did just buy a pair of Supreme One-80s, there's a few guys who use Lacrosse gloves and rave about how "its like you aren't wearing anything at all" so I wanted to try that out but with the support of a thumb that won't hyper-extend. I was unimpressed to say the least.

Edit: I tried on a pair of Reebok 11Ks at hockey giant and was super impressed with the feel. I just have no idea how well they hold up.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

Fair enough! I've heard great things about Eagle gloves as well. I've been using my 4 rolls for about a year now and haven't had any palm issues as a sidenote

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

cenzo posted:

I did just buy a pair of Supreme One-80s, there's a few guys who use Lacrosse gloves and rave about how "its like you aren't wearing anything at all" so I wanted to try that out but with the support of a thumb that won't hyper-extend. I was unimpressed to say the least.

I tried on lacrosse gloves in the store once and they felt amaaaaazing, I would just be worried about ice moisture ruining them more quickly but otherwise I can definitely see the appeal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What the heck? I'm 5'9" and have a million pairs of senior Edge socks and they all fit just fine.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just came here to nth Bauer 4-Roll's 4 EVAR.

Once the palm goes, just throw a bunch of stick tape on the inside/outside, and that'll last you another couple of months. Then just drop $30 to get 'em re-palmed, or else pick up another pair because then you can have a yellow pair to go with your white pair, or something.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What the heck? I'm 5'9" and have a million pairs of senior Edge socks and they all fit just fine.

I had the bright idea of just comparing the two kinds of socks I have (old AK knit and the Edge), and the Edge are maybe an inch longer than what I have now, so I don't think it will be too bad.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wouldn't buy gloves to avoid re-palming. Buy the gloves that you like and fit the best. Odds are any glove you buy at 99 dollars is going to be almost cheaper to replace the whole glove than repalm. Or maybe Eagle just charges more than others to repalm and regusset.

You'll also need 2 pairs of gloves when you go to repalm the first one.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have a couple pairs of retail edge senior socks and they're fine but I had some team-issue socks that I sold to someone on here and they were huge.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
What's everyone stance on chirping in beer league? Chirp when chirped upon? Ignore it? Chirp because it's fun?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

cenzo posted:

What's everyone stance on chirping in beer league? Chirp when chirped upon? Ignore it? Chirp because it's fun?

I chirp as a goalie at a few players that I know and drink with on the other teams. They chirp right back and it's all in good fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I try to joke around on the ice, which in some cases might be considered chirping, but I'm not very good at it. Sick burns have never been my forte. :smith:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

cenzo posted:

Guys on my team chirp every second of every game. Just the rudist, most offensive poo poo they can fling at their target.

Fortunately they generally only direct the vitriol towards our own team :buddy:

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

cenzo posted:

I chirp when chirped upon, or when someone does something glaringly stupid. Like grab my stick and throw it. If I'm playing against friends I chirp with impunity cuz that's how we roll.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I follow the ABC's of hockey

Always Be Chirping

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I never chirp. Either scoreboard or shut the hell up.

Also, I am perma-Lady Byng candidate.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Hockles posted:

I never chirp. Either scoreboard or shut the hell up.

Also, I am perma-Lady Byng candidate.

Back when we used to win a lot of games, other teams would do a lot of chirping and we had kind of an unspoken policy that if someone is just being a right-out dick, then point to the scoreboard and skate away.

We haven't done that much this season.

And speaking of, we're going to have a couple of guys bail for summer so we need to replace them. Our league's rosters are frozen but apparently an exception was made for us so dudes could skate a game and both parties could see if it was a match. Only the league coordinator didn't tell any of the scorekeepers, and apparently won't/can't/isn't going to. So to make this go, our goalie "skates out" and wears a different color jersey. New guy wears the goalie jersey. Profit. Also hilarious, tiny forwards in giant goalie cut jersey hijinx. Our goalie now has 3 points in as many games.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I used to be a drat superstar chirper but seems pretty silly in adult recreational hockey. Particularly in our league where most of us are friends off the ice and have been playing together forever.

I say that but last week some douche got banned for the rest of the season for saying something racist during a game. Douche.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I usually just try to make jokes since it's beer league and all, but if someone is playing like a shithead I'll chirp them a bit.

A fun thing to do, is if you're lined up at a faceoff next to a ringer, ask him if he just came out of the learn to play class. They don't particularly care for that one.

You know you got under someone's skin if they chirp you during the post-game handshake. Mission accomplished at that point.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yeah, the Senior socks are way too big. Getting exchanged for INT.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

cenzo posted:

Grade something sprain and a "possible chip fracture" - but the ortho thought it was just a leftover shadow from a previous injury that I didn't know I did. He complimented me on some very nice bruising and swelling haha. 2 weeks in a walking boot and going back for a re-eval. Not too shabby I suppose, all things considered.
NICE!! Good to hear. Not too shabby at all.

I was talking to my ortho and his PA today and the PA told me that Kevin Ware's injury was less disabling than mine because with his injury, they put a rod in the bone and he can walk on it immediately. Just can't catch a break. I've been off my left foot completely for a month now and the thigh and calf on the injured side are basically soup. You can tell how much smaller they are through my pants. My ortho said I might be walking again in May, and I'm guessing I won't be on the ice again until June. Lame.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I joke around and chirp my own team constantly. If the other team is cool I will. It's always an attempt at being funny and never serious.

And in the handshake line? I'd probably just never talk to the person again, yet less chirp, because that's just dumb.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

NICE!! Good to hear. Not too shabby at all.

I was talking to my ortho and his PA today and the PA told me that Kevin Ware's injury was less disabling than mine because with his injury, they put a rod in the bone and he can walk on it immediately. Just can't catch a break. I've been off my left foot completely for a month now and the thigh and calf on the injured side are basically soup. You can tell how much smaller they are through my pants. My ortho said I might be walking again in May, and I'm guessing I won't be on the ice again until June. Lame.

Did they give you any exercises to work on to help strengthen your quadriceps and other muscles in your leg? Your obviously limited in what you can do now, but there should be some exercises that you can do while laying or sitting down that would help slow the atrophy. I know that when I had my MCL injuries, my quads atrophied quite a bit. It wasn't as bad the second time around, since I started treatment sooner, but whatever you can do to maintain your strength at this stage will make the next stage of your recovery easier.

Good luck with your recovery.

Recreations in Logic
Jan 17, 2001

bewbies posted:

Particularly in our league where most of us are friends off the ice and have been playing together forever.

Wait that seems like a great reason to chirp.

Just ordered a pair of CCM Crazy Lights that were on clearance. Kinda more than I was planning on spending, but I've been rocking Nike Quests pretty much since they came out. (I didn't play much during undergrad or med school so they lasted a long time).

Anyone have any experience with them? They didn't have my size at the brick and mortar Perani's so I ordered them online. Wasn't sure whether to go D or E (the quests were a little wide for D). I went with D because the sales person told me they'd probably work out. I really liked the Bauer Supremes but couldn't justify paying non-clearance prices for them or the Nexus'

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
Fourthing/fifthing the intermediate sock chat. I'm 5'10 and they fit well enough that I skip taping them altogether. I can use a single large sock as a sleeping bag.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Aniki posted:

Did they give you any exercises to work on to help strengthen your quadriceps and other muscles in your leg? Your obviously limited in what you can do now, but there should be some exercises that you can do while laying or sitting down that would help slow the atrophy. I know that when I had my MCL injuries, my quads atrophied quite a bit. It wasn't as bad the second time around, since I started treatment sooner, but whatever you can do to maintain your strength at this stage will make the next stage of your recovery easier.

Good luck with your recovery.

No haven't gotten any exercises. I'm still on rest and elevation. I've done a little bit of body weight range of motion for the knee and hip, but it's hard to know if its working. Like goddam soup.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

No haven't gotten any exercises. I'm still on rest and elevation. I've done a little bit of body weight range of motion for the knee and hip, but it's hard to know if its working. Like goddam soup.

I figured they would at least have you contracting your quadriceps or doing something, but you have a very different type of injury than what I had, so I'm sure there is a reason they are recommending rest even if it leads to increased muscle atrophy. Does your Ortho think that your recovery is going well or are you not going to know until you are cleared to walk again?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I tried on some 4 Roll Pros on the way through the mall today and they felt niiiiiiice

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what's it like to have a mall with hockey gear in it

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I like my pro 4 rolls. But I think I like my Reebok 11k's better. Also the palms on the rbks will last longer.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

what's it like to have a mall with hockey gear in it

Pretty normal :confused:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DC, you in town?

Staples Center skate next Saturday (13th) before the Ducks game.

$180 for 1 suite ticket and the skate before with referees.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

DC, you in town?

Staples Center skate next Saturday (13th) before the Ducks game.

$180 for 1 suite ticket and the skate before with referees.

Argh no. Just got back to Van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

You can find hockey gear in every store in Canada right?