Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Azuth0667 posted:

Didn't the FBI declare juggalos a terrorist group?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juggalos_(gang)

This was the first thing I stumbled upon when I went to find something on the subject to laugh at, but apperently there actually are juggalo street gangs? It seems pretty serious. I can't figure out which is stranger, the FBI incorrectly categorizing some juggalos as gang members or actual juggalo street gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
According to that article they ally with some white supremacist groups so how long until we see some right wing pundit labeling them as "misguided" patriots.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Michael Savage spent, no poo poo, 20 minutes tonight (and that was only until I got home and out of my car, who knows how long he kept going) reading a list of health violations of some local no-name Thai restaurant in San Francisco which he interspersed with casual racism about illegals.

Why? Because liberals eat there and say thank you every time they are helped and that just makes him sick. He interjected constantly with the phrase "oh thaaaank you" like acting grateful to people serving you was for condescending assholes. And hahaha dumb libs are eating food from other cultures that has rodent droppings in it. Hahaha.

Dude is a loving lunatic.

To be fair he did say soul patches are loving terrible (he didn't know what they were called, but he described them). Broken clock, twice a day, etc.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

To be fair he did say soul patches are loving terrible (he didn't know what they were called, but he described them). Broken clock, twice a day, etc.

Which is odd considering nobody's worn those doofy things in the past 20 years except evangelical youth pastors who play bass in Christian skatepunk bands.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

And Bruce Springsteen.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

So if I'm Asian, eat at an Asian restaurant, and thank the waiters in their native language because it's mine as well but I consider myself a liberal, am I still being racist? :ohdear: And where are the rodent droppings, I've never seen any??

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On another note, this Ames (and Blumenthal) article about Breitbart's empire got lost a but with the focus on Ames' article on NPR, but it's worth reading for what a total freakshow the man left behind and how they're steadily spiraling into further and further depths of madness. I'll quote a bit, the rest is at the link:

http://bit.ly/12k8iCP

quote:

Springtime For Breitbart

March was a cruel month for the American press. The 10th anniversary of the Iraq War briefly punctured the country's cultural amnesia, forcing hacks to sweat out another round of cringing mea culpas.

March was also the anniversary of another less epic media failure, but this one came and went without a whimper: The death of Andrew Breitbart, on March 1, 2012.

In the immediate aftermath of Breitbart's death last year, at age 43, the Beltway media reflexively whitewashed and glorified his work and legacy, canonizing a reactionary circus barker as some kind of American Icon, a gonzo iconoclast, a conservative punk rocker, or a "Zany, Magnetic Media Hacker," as Wired's Noah Shachtman put it. Publications ranging from Time, the Washington Post and Slate sang Breitbart's praises; scores of ambitious up-and-coming media figures burned both ends of the candle to compose the seminal Andrew Breitbart funeral tribute.

It will never be known if Breitbart's death was brought on by decades of Amy Winehouse-style partying around the glass coffee tables of West Hollywood – exactly the sort of practice that can transform a healthy heart into a dried apricot — or whether he succumbed to a "natural cause" like the hysterical, unchecked hatred that seemed to have consumed his entire, physically precarious being. Though he was the father of four young children, Breitbart seemed to have spent much of his time on Twitter, baiting his perceived enemies with scatological and graphically sexualized taunts. After 25,901 Twitter entries, Breitbart reached his tweet limit, leaving behind a vast right-wing online media empire that still remains largely unexamined.

While pundits gushed over Breitbart's provocations, ignoring race-baiting blunders like the Shirley Sherrod affair and whitewashing his increasingly unhinged behavior – "Stop raping people!" he bellowed at Occupy Wall Street protesters shortly before dropping dead — as a form of "political performance art," no one bothered asking what would come next. Who would take the reigns of Breitbart's websites and how would they preserve whatever undeserved credibility Breitbart managed to maintain in the eyes of the media, which proved to be easy prey to his bullying tactics?

Breitbart's Doomsday Machine

By now, it has become clear that in the months before his death, Breitbart had constructed a journalistic Doomsday Machine and programmed it for an apocalyptic episode of self-destruction. Perhaps it was convenient that Breitbart's heart exploded when it did; as a martyr, he did not have to witness the implosion of his media empire or bear the responsibility he deserved for its rapid demise.

In the year after Breitbart's death, his heirs and associates produced a string of grotesque episodes that have embarrassed even their own impossible-to-shame allies on the right, including:

- Spreading the lie that Chuck Hagel took money from a non-existent group called "Friends of Hamas." What began as a New York Daily News reporter's burlesque joke-hypothetical question to a Senate staffer was recycled by Breitbart.com editor-at-large Ben Shapiro [see below] and reported as fact from "Senate sources." From Breitbart, the reporter's joke traveled onto the Senate floor and nearly sank Hagel's confirmation as Obama's new Defense Secretary. Even after the story was completely debunked and disavowed even by fellow right-wingers, Breitbart.com remains the only media outlet in the world that continues to stick by its debunked story;

- In mid-March, Breitbart published a straight news story claiming that Paul Krugman had filed for bankruptcy. The story was sourced from an online news parody site, The Daily Currant;

- Also in March, Breitbart's most famous protege, video smear-artist and convicted criminal James O'Keefe, was forced to pay a six-figure settlement to one of the victims of his heavily-edited ACORN videos, which was deceptively re-edited to give the impression that ACORN employees were willing to participate in sex trafficking. ACORN was once a powerful community activist organization working in mostly poor minority communities. O'Keefe's video, which was heavily promoted by Breitbart, helped destroy ACORN and ruin the careers of many of its employees. Other lawsuits against Breitbart associates continue, including one filed by Shirley Sherrod, an African-American employee of the Department of Agriculture who was fired after Breitbart pushed a heavily-edited video manipulated to make Sherrod appear as if she was anti-white. O'Keefe's work has been underwritten by everyone from billionaire libertarian Peter Thiel to the billionaire Koch brothers and the billionaire Foster Friess;

- At the most recent CPAC conference in 2013, Breitbart.com's sponsored panel bashing Muslims was considered too hateful and extremist by CPAC's organizers and banned from the official CPAC agenda — despite the fact that Breitbart News Network is a major sponsor of CPAC.

Pull the camera back a bit further, looking back on the year since Breitbart died, and the same pattern of appalling failure, journalistic fraud, and malevolence repeats itself on a broader scale. The actual record of Breitbart's legacy — not the manufactured, iconoclastic legacy cooked up by Breitbart's fanboys in mainstream media, but his real legacy — turns out to be much less than advertised.

What Breitbart really left behind is not so much a media business as an asylum for fringe-right degenerates, a motley collection of depraved losers, beer hall rage-a-holics and downright freaks offering themselves up as mercenaries for the rich and powerful, taking dirty jobs no one with a shred of self-respect would consider. As hired-assassins who couldn't hit the side of a barn if their lives depended on it, the unlikely heirs Breitbart once hired as sycophantic underlings come off as a comedy troupe of slapstick fascists — and it would be funny, if not for the powerful corporate forces sponsoring their attempts at sectarian smears and top-down class warfare.
It goes on in some detail from there about the two guys running it, their histories, first hand interviews with people who know them and the people surrounding those two loons. It's a fun glimpse:

http://bit.ly/12k8iCP

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

cafel posted:

This was the first thing I stumbled upon when I went to find something on the subject to laugh at, but apperently there actually are juggalo street gangs? It seems pretty serious. I can't figure out which is stranger, the FBI incorrectly categorizing some juggalos as gang members or actual juggalo street gangs.

I was at a training a month ago and ended up getting a dirty look from the instructor when I burst out laughing as he started talking about juggalos being a gang. I ended up not feeling as bad about it when the instructor showed us his tattoo which was two m16's in the shape of an X underneath a cross with a Jesus on it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

cafel posted:

Azuth0667 posted:

According to that article they ally with some white supremacist groups

The citation for that statement leads to some blog article that talks about a murder case while making fun of the juggalos involved.
There's no mention of white supremacist groups in the article whatsoever. The author even writes: "Now once again one of the articles I linked to call the Juggalos a gang. I hate to break it to everyone but Juggalos aren’t motivated enough to form a gang." For some reason wikipedia cites that blog post repeatedly when trying to claim that Juggalos are a gang affilation.

All the other articles they cite are about or by the FBI or other police organizations. Their evidence seems to be

1: A few unconnected murders and robberies by people with ICP-themed myspace pages.

2: Probably do and sell drugs a lot.

3:

The FBI seriously uses that picture in their report.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

On another note, this Ames (and Blumenthal) article about Breitbart's empire got lost a but with the focus on Ames' article on NPR, but it's worth reading for what a total freakshow the man left behind and how they're steadily spiraling into further and further depths of madness. I'll quote a bit, the rest is at the link:

They're doing their absolute best to paint the recent DA murders as a crime by the Cartel and not by Aryan Brotherhood. Gotta protect that white heritage.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

And Bruce Springsteen.

The Boss does as he pleases. :colbert:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

They're doing their absolute best to paint the recent DA murders as a crime by the Cartel and not by Aryan Brotherhood. Gotta protect that white heritage.
WHY WON'T OBAMA TELL US THA TROOTH!!#>>??

Thunderchops
May 27, 2005
Both how I'm livin' and my nose is large.

little munchkin posted:

The citation for that statement leads to some blog article that talks about a murder case while making fun of the juggalos involved.
There's no mention of white supremacist groups in the article whatsoever. The author even writes: "Now once again one of the articles I linked to call the Juggalos a gang. I hate to break it to everyone but Juggalos aren’t motivated enough to form a gang." For some reason wikipedia cites that blog post repeatedly when trying to claim that Juggalos are a gang affilation.

All the other articles they cite are about or by the FBI or other police organizations. Their evidence seems to be

1: A few unconnected murders and robberies by people with ICP-themed myspace pages.

3:

I'm not sure how it was/is elsewhere, but in Utah several years back there were real problems with quite a few people who identified themselves as Juggalos . They were heavily involved with meth distribution, hate crimes, violent crimes, and ran in groups. The one that sticks out most in my mind is the guy who nearly decapitated someone with a hatchet.

All of the Juggalos I've met in person elsewhere seemed irredeemably cracked in the head, but I wouldn't peg them as being gang members. Maybe it's a midwest thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

On the front page of today's paper (SATX)

Rick Perry posted:

I would suggest to you, it is really at the heart of this issue. You secure the border, then it makes it harder for these individuals to have access into this country

He really doesn't want to admit it's white supremacists.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No I agree, it's absurd how easily that nazi was able to from Colorado to Texas, we need to build a wall keeping Oklahoma from funneling their poo poo to us.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Rather petty tirade from Limbaugh today in his opening segment about how useless college is. Apparently no intellectual development takes place there at all, it's all beer pong and sorority parties. He also labeled Baby Boomers as more intellectual than the Gen Xers and up-and-coming Millenials teaching your children in college. All this coming from a college drop-out :jerkbag:

Now he is sitting in front of his golden mic raging against the global warming "hoax", singing the praises of many-times-discredited Lord Monckton. How can Superstorm Sandy collide with a cold air front over Canada if there is Global Warming? :smuggo:
The hate. It never stops. :allears:

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just heard that Rush global warming thing when I was out earlier.
"The amount of willful ignorance that you see in THESE PEOPLE is absolutely astounding. Just...purposeful, willful ignorance!"
:ironicat:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Our good friend Eric Bolling thinks the firing of Rutgers' basketball coach, who used gay slurs and violence towards his players, thinks it's part of the "wussification" of America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZtKVWic_Y

Because, you know, using violence at your players is manly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vertical Lime posted:

Our good friend Eric Bolling thinks the firing of Rutgers' basketball coach, who used gay slurs and violence towards his players, thinks it's part of the "wussification" of America:

Sadly there are plenty of people who unironically believe this.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Michael Savage spent, no poo poo, 20 minutes tonight (and that was only until I got home and out of my car, who knows how long he kept going) reading a list of health violations of some local no-name Thai restaurant in San Francisco which he interspersed with casual racism about illegals.

Why? Because liberals eat there and say thank you every time they are helped and that just makes him sick. He interjected constantly with the phrase "oh thaaaank you" like acting grateful to people serving you was for condescending assholes. And hahaha dumb libs are eating food from other cultures that has rodent droppings in it. Hahaha.

Dude is a loving lunatic.

Not that your point doesn't stand, but Marnee Thai is widely considered the best Thai restaurant in SF, although the violations weren't at their main location.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sadly there are plenty of people who unironically believe this.

"I was bullied and I'm a perfectly fine adult, who devotes part of his temporary, all-too-short time on this Earth to wishing that children were being made more miserable!"

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Vertical Lime posted:

Rusty Humphries was saying the same thing yesterday. We're now in a society where we can't do anything that women don't approve of, apparently. His coaches threw basketballs at his head when he was in middle school, and look how great he is!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
How long until that Rutgers basketball coach ends up at Liberty, Oral Roberts, or another similar school? One year? Two?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I see that there. posted:

Just heard that Rush global warming thing when I was out earlier.
"The amount of willful ignorance that you see in THESE PEOPLE is absolutely astounding. Just...purposeful, willful ignorance!"
:ironicat:

It was even weirder because some 13 year old called in in the 3rd hour I think and said he found mountains of information at a library for a debate debunking global warming. It was pretty funny but he got an ipad out of Rush so I guess good on him.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ramadu posted:

It was even weirder because some 13 year old called in in the 3rd hour I think and said he found mountains of information at a library for a debate debunking global warming. It was pretty funny but he got an ipad out of Rush so I guess good on him.

I listened to that too and it was pretty weird. The kid also went on some tangent about how he heard some people talking in a health food store about how it was cold outside and how about that global warming, huh?

One of these days I'm going to call into Rush with some made up bullshit to get my free iPad. It isn't exactly hard to figure out what types of people/arguments get one. Maybe an hour writing out a good theme and calling in is a pretty good deal for a free iPad when you're a college student. In fact I think I know what I'm doing on my lunch break tomorrow

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey Rush I'm a college student working to fight the system from the inside and debunk the liberal agenda.
I see these brainiac liberals in all my classes, but I out smart 'em Rushbo! A couple a quotes from Ol' Hickory has their stupid lib brains all mushified, but man I got to tell you it's hard, Rush. Real hard out here in Libertopia, man...
*holds out hands for free stuff*

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
It's great that Rush Limbaugh's show is at the intellectual level of a 13 year old. I predict that caller going the way of the CPAC Superstar Johnathan Krohn

Just look at this crap

quote:

RUSH: I'll tell you what these people do. You got Al Roker and Willie Geist and whoever the woman was, and they're talking about the poll: 37% of the American people think that global warming is a hoax. If you listen to the reaction of Al Roker and these guys, it's, "What do they do?" They ridicule people in their audience who are in that 37% group, which is one of the techniques these people use. It's right out of Alinsky, by the way, but it's a technique that anybody can use. Ridicule is hard to undo. I mean, if you can get away with ridiculing -- making your opponent look ridiculous -- that's over half the battle won in a quasi-debate.

That's what they do.

They sit here from this lofty perch of pomposity. They are the champions of ignorance. They don't know what they're talking about. The things you and I know are out there for anybody to discover, but they're not reported in the mainstream media. So people like Al Roker and Willie Geist are never gonna come across these facts. It's like Juan Williams. I'll never forget this. Lord Monckton is a famous individual from Great Britain, and long an advocate of exposing the fraud that is the manmade global warming branch of liberalism. And he was in Washington, and he happened to be speaking the National Press Club, and Williams was there.

He went on Fox afterwards and said (summarized), "You know, I never heard any of that before!" He said, "I'm rethinking what I believe about global warming. I never heard any of that before."

I'm sitting there and I'm nodding my head, "Yep. Here's a guy, a highly paid commentator/expert who knows more than the audience does on Fox, and he's never heard of one argument counter to the premise of manmade global warming -- and when he did, he was confused, because he heard it from somebody he thought had credibility." Well, Al Roker and his crowd have never even heard it. They live in a world where that news has never been seen. So they have this arrogant, condescending belief that everything they know is right, and then when they run across people that don't believe what they do, they start laughing at 'em, making fun of them, ridiculing them -- even if they're in their own audience.

That's how they intimidate people, by the way, and get away with it, too.
Later on in the show...

quote:

RUSH: Hey, folks: We have just until 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time tonight for the first giant sweepstakes of the tea season. All you have to do is go to Two If By Tea and shop and you're entered into our first big sweepstakes of the season. There are a couple of great grand prizes and some other prizes. It's all explained at our website, TwoIfByTea.com. You have to shop by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time tonight in order to be automatically entered.
He does it all without missing a beat. Rage one second, then he is selling you some snake oil.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Do you think Matt Drudge made this himself in mspaint?

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
One of the things that really jolts me every time is how Rush, Hannity, et al double and triple up on the crazily wrong bullshit.

They very specifically build an argument that's so wrong, like literally factually wrong on so many levels that you're smacked in the face by an egregious error, and then another and another, so that if you stop to pick up the thread of just ONE of the wrong things, they can still be 'right' about the other 2 or 5 or 10 things they've since blurted out.

A person could spend an hour picking apart one written paragraph of their transcribed speech and just be blustered down and talked over within seconds. It's really, truly amazing.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

One of the things that really jolts me every time is how Rush, Hannity, et al double and triple up on the crazily wrong bullshit.

They very specifically build an argument that's so wrong, like literally factually wrong on so many levels that you're smacked in the face by an egregious error, and then another and another, so that if you stop to pick up the thread of just ONE of the wrong things, they can still be 'right' about the other 2 or 5 or 10 things they've since blurted out.

A person could spend an hour picking apart one written paragraph of their transcribed speech and just be blustered down and talked over within seconds. It's really, truly amazing.

This is the actual formula of this type of talk radio. The person who agrees nods vehemently, yells at his radio and feels like a big tough white man standing against the evil barbarian hordes, and the liberal sputters and yells at his radio at all the obviously untrue bullshit. Both people keep listening.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Gish Gallop is a time-honored debate technique.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

little munchkin posted:

3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juggalos_%28gang%29 posted:

Juggalo gangs have allied with violent prison gangs, including the Aryan Brotherhood, Aryan Circle, and Aryan Brothers Liberation.

http://info.publicintelligence.net/NGIC-Juggalos.pdf posted:

The Texas Attorney General’s Office cites reports from Orange County Texas that claim Juggalo groups in that county have become associated with 3-11 Mafia, claiming Ku Klux Klan affiliation. Additionally, Juggalos in Northeast and West Texas have been reported to affiliate in the county jails with dominant White Prison Gangs such as the Aryan Circle and the Aryan Brotherhood.

The source for the quote from the info. link is "(U) Texas Attorney General’s Office email correspondence; 22 November 2010; A collaborative source with good access." That certainly doesn't look like a blog post and vindicates what the wikipedia page says. Their evidence is a bunch of crimes mostly assaults, murders and drug related crimes. You are definitely right about the motivation part, most of the criminal groups have some kind of catalyst usually a member of an already existent criminal gang.

The part I think will be hilarious is when some right wing pundit tries to spin:

"Criminal activity among Juggalo groups poses an immediate threat to the community and law enforcement. The nature of their criminal activity (assaults, thefts, drug use/sales, and vandalism) directly impacts members of the community and the community itself. The sizeable Juggalo community will allow these groups to continue to expand outside of their local areas due to the wide-spread Juggalo family mentality, and their ability to claim “family” affiliation rather than a gang. The formation of rivalries or alliances to gangs outside of their group will allow the Juggalos to evolve into a more sophisticated criminal entity through associations with hardened,experienced gang members."

Into something like they are "misguided" patriots sticking up for their constitutional rights :freep:. It'll probably be someone really bombastic like Adam Carolla.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

The source for the quote from the info. link is "(U) Texas Attorney General’s Office email correspondence; 22 November 2010; A collaborative source with good access." That certainly doesn't look like a blog post and vindicates what the wikipedia page says. Their evidence is a bunch of crimes mostly assaults, murders and drug related crimes. You are definitely right about the motivation part, most of the criminal groups have some kind of catalyst usually a member of an already existent criminal gang.

Oh, my bad, I accidentally clicked the wrong link when I looked that up. Still, "a collaborative source with good access" isn't very convincing, especially from a group with a strong interest in fearmongering.

Speaking of the Aryan Brotherhood and fearmongering, the whole "white supremacist" part seems to be over-hyped by the media. It started out inside prisons where there was legit racial tension, but that was 50 years ago. Nowadays they still use white supremacist imagery, but they have members of other races and form alliances with other ethnic gangs.

Some quotes from actual members (from this New York Times Article).

quote:

“You need to understand one thing,” Thompson said. “The Aryan Brotherhood is not about white supremacy. It is about supremacy. And it will do anything to get it. Anything.”

quote:

The council member Clifford Smith had told authorities that the gang was no longer primarily "bent on destroying blacks and the Jews and the minorities of the world, white supremacy and all that poo poo. It’s a criminal organization, first and foremost."

They are still scary as hell though. That article talks about members getting out of jail and immediately killing someone to settle a grudge, and imprisoned members murdering other inmates like crazy because they have life sentences and know they can't be punished any further.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AsInHowe posted:

How long until that Rutgers basketball coach ends up at Liberty, Oral Roberts, or another similar school? One year? Two?

I was about to say I don't think either Liberty or ORU have basketball teams because they don't allow blacks, but I guess apparently they do now.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

watt par posted:

I was about to say I don't think either Liberty or ORU have basketball teams because they don't allow blacks, but I guess apparently they do now.

Wait, what? This is a joke right? On that note, there is a Georgia HS that still has segregated Proms. :whoptc:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mitchicon posted:

Wait, what? This is a joke right? On that note, there is a Georgia HS that still has segregated Proms. :whoptc:

The Religious Right (and the Heritage Foundation in part) was created in opposition to the government forcing Bob Jones University to integrate.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 5, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Isn't it Bob Jones that still bans interracial dating? I'm also pretty certain there are still segregated proms and homecomings in Louisiana, which still usually has the most overt separate-but-equal poo poo going on.

EDIT: Ah, I remember this from the first GWB campaign, turns out that BJU ended its ban that year.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of fake bible colleges, looks like Liberty's doing the lord's work, in a roundabout way:

quote:

Liberty University, the largest religion-affiliated U.S. school, is loosening restrictions for carrying firearms on its Lynchburg, Va., campus.

Liberty students who have an easy-to-obtain Virginia concealed carry permit and permission from campus police will now be able to carry a loaded gun into classrooms, according to a March 22 revision to school policy. University staff and visitors may also bring firearms into university buildings on campus, WSET reported. Students remain banned from bringing guns into residence halls, even with a permit.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

watt par posted:

Speaking of fake bible colleges, looks like Liberty's doing the lord's work, in a roundabout way:

Look, I know it's wrong to hope for violence, the best way is always through peaceful discourse and legislative action. But they are making it so loving difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't want to make a joke about spree shootings, but you would kind of expect Liberty or Bob Jones to create just the right social climate and attract just the right demographic for one to take place.