Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Tochiazuma posted:

I gotta stop reading this thread because it makes me want to buy more pens and ink and nice paper and I've barely made a dent in the ink I've already bought

oh god I wanna buy another pen and another 3 years worth of ink for it and there's no 12 step program to save me from this
You (and everyone) should try out some of the ultra-cheap Chinese pens off of eBay.

A good friend who I got interested in FPs has been buying them up as he's on an extremely tight budget and while I've been supportive I've been a little bit suspicious until he gave me a couple. Some of them write rather well, and I'm talking $5 pens! They're obviously hit or miss but still, I think I'm going to expand my shopping horizons a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

iostream.h posted:

You (and everyone) should try out some of the ultra-cheap Chinese pens off of eBay.

A good friend who I got interested in FPs has been buying them up as he's on an extremely tight budget and while I've been supportive I've been a little bit suspicious until he gave me a couple. Some of them write rather well, and I'm talking $5 pens! They're obviously hit or miss but still, I think I'm going to expand my shopping horizons a bit.

I have had very mixed results with the Hero pens I've been buying, though I've been impressed with the 'good' ones. My 616 jumbo has been great to leave at work without it being a big loss should it walk off.

I just bought 2 FPR Dillis from fountainpenrevolution.com, which I hope are nice. I'd love to have a 15 dollar piston-filler to recommend to people.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

For what it's worth, the Chinese pens I've bought have all been terrible wastes of money, your experience may vary.

All this talk of ink makes me want to buy some more. I'd love to try those Pelikan Edelstein inks, if only for that bottle :swoon:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I felt like the Chinese pens I bought were a good place to get started, if nothing else to learn what I didn't like in a pen. Having virtually no worth also meant that if I wanted to take them apart or gently caress around with the nibs, no great loss if I screwed them up. I actually got one of them writing a lot better after spending a little time on it with a nail buffer, although it's probably horribly screwed up and I just don't know it. :downs:

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
I went a bit overboard on eBay, and now own about 40 pens of varying brands. The trick is sticking with reliable sellers and not buying ones that don't list company and model. Haven't spent more than a tenner a pen and ended up with some really great ones.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
I'm thinking about picking up a TWSBI Diamond 580.

Is there any good reason to get one of those TWSBI ink pots to go with it, or am I better off just saving the $25 and using my normal Noodler's bottles?

Also, on the cheap Chinese pen front, I have to endorse this little beauty. It's essentially a fountain pen knock-off of the Parker Space Pen. It fits wonderfully in a pocket, mine writes well, and it looks good. The ink capacity leaves a bit to be desired, but that's understandable given its size.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

alakath posted:

Is there any good reason to get one of those TWSBI ink pots to go with it, or am I better off just saving the $25 and using my normal Noodler's bottles?

I was going to ask if there were any sort of facilitation for filling with the TWSBI bottles. I was considering picking up a bottle to mix a couple of inks (a bulletproof color + bulletproof black) together, and to keep it at the office... but if there is a real benefit to having one, I'll definitely pick one up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Synastren posted:

I was going to ask if there were any sort of facilitation for filling with the TWSBI bottles. I was considering picking up a bottle to mix a couple of inks (a bulletproof color + bulletproof black) together, and to keep it at the office... but if there is a real benefit to having one, I'll definitely pick one up.

If you unscrew the nib on a 5**/Mini series TWSBI (or stick a standard converter on the top) it plugs into the top of the inkwell, and you can completely fill your pen really cleanly.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Synastren posted:

The only difference you'll have with the bottle for the 580 is you can unscrew the section and click the pen into a port on the top for filling. It'll make it easier to get a fuller full, and I guess keep ink off your nib if you're particular about that.

I've been meaning for a while now to look for some small rubber tubing I could put onto that same port on the pen to make filling from sample vials really easy (the capacity on the 540/580 is perfect for a Goulet ink sample), but I still haven't got around to it.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

Are there any recommendations for good non-TWSBI ink pots?

I hate the narrow-necked eyedropper pot that Heart of Darkness comes in and I can never refill without covering myself and my pen in ink, and covering a blotter with ink coming off of the eyedropper. I'd love to transfer some ink into, well, any other bottle.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

alakath posted:

I hate the narrow-necked eyedropper pot that Heart of Darkness comes in and I can never refill without covering myself and my pen in ink, and covering a blotter with ink coming off of the eyedropper. I'd love to transfer some ink into, well, any other bottle.

You can get empty ink bottles from goulet for a few bucks, looks like from all/most the brands they carry

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

alakath posted:

The Montblanc "shoe" style ink bottles are pretty highly regarded. They're very stable, got a wide opening, and have a little inner chamber to help fill the pen up more easily.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

lady flash posted:

You can get empty ink bottles from goulet for a few bucks, looks like from all/most the brands they carry

I have two empty Lamy bottles that are great. There's a narrow reservoir in the bottom, so you can fill when ink level is low. It also comes with a roll of papers for wiping the nib after filling.

Sailor bottles also have a similar plastic reservoir insert similar to the TWSBI ones.

Both types can be bought from Goulet.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

alakath posted:

Do you have the 3oz bottle or is there some other size that they sell?

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

JP Money posted:

Do you have the 3oz bottle or is there some other size that they sell?

I have the 4.5 ounce eyedropper bottle, which looks like this:

I'll take a look at the empty bottles from Goulet, thanks for the recommendations!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Iroshizuku bottles are nice as well, they have a little divot in the bottom for your nib when the level gets low, and they're pretty!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got a fountain pen and I can't find out anything about it. All I know is I traded my buddy an old safety razor for it. He might have got it in India? Anyway, I'm coming to you guys because I've looked all over and I can't find anything about D'Zario pens anywhere on the whole internet. I googled and ebayed and checked all of the pen links in the OP but I couldn't find anything like it except on some website that was principally in Cyrillic.

Here are some pictures of the pen, I didn't know what parts were important so if you need a better or different picture let me know:

I'm having a pretty good time learning how to write with it. The other question I have is that my friend mentioned something about converting it, and I have no idea how to go about doing that. He included with the pen a small syringe he uses to refill the little plastic ink holder at the back, and that seems like a ridiculous way of going about things.

Any ideas? Is this an alright pen or is this whole thing just a fool's errand?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stalizard posted:

I got a fountain pen and I can't find out anything about it. All I know is I traded my buddy an old safety razor for it. He might have got it in India? Anyway, I'm coming to you guys because I've looked all over and I can't find anything about D'Zario pens anywhere on the whole internet. I googled and ebayed and checked all of the pen links in the OP but I couldn't find anything like it except on some website that was principally in Cyrillic.

Here are some pictures of the pen, I didn't know what parts were important so if you need a better or different picture let me know:

I'm having a pretty good time learning how to write with it. The other question I have is that my friend mentioned something about converting it, and I have no idea how to go about doing that. He included with the pen a small syringe he uses to refill the little plastic ink holder at the back, and that seems like a ridiculous way of going about things.

Any ideas? Is this an alright pen or is this whole thing just a fool's errand?

Congrats on getting a fountain pen (the infection is spreading :unsmigghh: ).
D'zario is probably some random name slapped on the box because, hey, it sounds nice. It's a no name pen, but who cares if it's comfortable to write with?
The little ink thingy in the back is an ink cartridge, your pen wil probably take international size cartridges. Refilling cartridges can make sense because a) bottled ink tends to be cheaper and b) bottled ink comes in more colours.

Converting = using a converter that can pump ink into the pen from a bottle instead of cartridges. Linky. Note: I prefer syringe+cartridges to converters. But hey, they're cheap, give it a try.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Good god. I never realized how fast cartridges burned up until I actually started using them. Burned through a 5-pack in a week. I have to get my rear end to the art supply store for ink, but...but they have shiny pens. NO! NO SHINY PENS!

Anyway, what common inks are good for just regular lined paper?

So shiny...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Good god. I never realized how fast cartridges burned up until I actually started using them. Burned through a 5-pack in a week. I have to get my rear end to the art supply store for ink, but...but they have shiny pens. NO! NO SHINY PENS!

So shiny...

My favourite "this will always work" ink (i.e. forms/exams/... on lovely printer paper that most inks feather/bleed through are a-ok; it's slightly water resistant) is Montblanc Midnight Blue.
Note: it is iron gall based - you should rinse out your pen every month or so and if the ink is left to dry in the pen, it will clog the ink feed and be hard to clean with water.

My favourite safe ink without the aforementioned downsides is anything from Waterman. These inks are also ok for all but the shittiest kinds of paper, feel very smooth when writing and they don't have Midnight Blue's issues (they're not water resistant in any way, though). Mix Waterman inks at will for awesome colours, starting with Violet and Florida Blue :drugnerd:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 5, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

So shiny...

Noodler's is my go-to ink, but it's certainly not the only one.

I tried some Private Reserve, and holy poo poo it was terrible. I grabbed "Naples Blue" and it ran like crazy. I could place my hand on a dry sheet of notes and the ink would transfer all over. Ugh, it was such a nice color too.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

I ordered a few empty bottles from Goulet Pens, so thanks for the tip.

And I figured, hey, since I'm paying for shipping anyway, why not get a bottle of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts? And a Noodler rollerball? And why not a TWSBI too?

Combined with the Hero 360 I bought on a whim last week, I've got a lot of new toys.

So yay for new pens and ink, but boo for my bank account.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Which TWSBI?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I Bought some fountain pens when the last thread went up and Ive been loving hem, but I'm thinking about taking this poo poo to the next level.

As far as antique pens are concerned, is there a good resource for the various kinds of pens, as well as a go-to place for finding the pens themselves?

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Which TWSBI?

The Diamond 580. I'd been eyeing it for a while.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

I Bought some fountain pens when the last thread went up and Ive been loving hem, but I'm thinking about taking this poo poo to the next level.

As far as antique pens are concerned, is there a good resource for the various kinds of pens, as well as a go-to place for finding the pens themselves?

Without knowing what kind of pen you're looking for it's hard to say which ones would be good for you. Esterbrooks are one of the most commonly used vintage pens, and are relatively cheap and have a myriad of compatible nibs. Parker 51s are also extremely good pens, though a bit more expensive than the Esterbrooks for a good one. You're best off looking up old manufacturers and seeing what they made, unless you have something specific in mind?

As for buying them, naturally you can find some in antique stores, and if you're lucky and know what you're looking at you can get some amazing deals thanks to the little knowledge most people have with regards to vintage pens. Ebay is also pretty good for a lot of vintage pens, though that comes with the usual risks of not seeing what you are buying in the flesh before you receive it.

The German site Martini Auctions is also great for vintage pens, each manufacturer having its own vintage pen section. I know they'll ship to other countries in Europe, but I'm not sure if they'll ship to anywhere else however.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

The easy way is to call/google antique shops in your area and say, "Hey, I was wondering if you have any fountain pens." They've already spent hours culling them from all the past estate sales. It's a better use of your time than going to the estate sales yourself.

Also, some stores that have pens will say so on their websites. There's one an hour from me that's all like WE HAVE loving 100 PENS*, rear end in a top hat. COME GET ONE! but I don't have a car.

*not exaggerating

Also, ink report: I Waterman'd. The Mysterious Blue. It's good stuff, but I'm not used to how wet it's laying down. I also drooled at the few hundred new pens that were in the store. I gotta say, the Conklin Herringbone pens are a) huge, and b) :catdrugs:. The flat, side-view pictures on all the pen sites don't do them justice.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just ordered a 1.1 calligraphy nib for my Lamy Safari. Can't wait. :sun:

I thought I'd like my TWSBI for mathematics, but as I'm finishing up my undergrad I am completely out of math courses to take and even so I like my Falcon and my Safari way better. :smith:

How much do you guys speculate I could sell my TWSBI Diamond 540 for? It's in great shape and the nib was professionally reworked from a B to a Japanese EF by Mike-It-Work (~$75 job) and could write smoothly and legibly on a grain of rice. It's also a #5 nib so you could put the unit in a Sailor if you really wanted to.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Are there anything like glass nibs out there for ink filled fountain pens? Could've sworn they existed...

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Oh, I have a question. What's the deal with Namiki Falcon's "soft nib"? Is it a flex nib? Is it meant for calligraphy? Is it just meant to be more forgiving of weird grips and angles? Will my left-handed rear end love it dearly?

Okay, that was several questions.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Are there anything like glass nibs out there for ink filled fountain pens? Could've sworn they existed...

There are glass dip pens, but I've never heard of a glass nib for a fountain pen.

Oh, I have a question. What's the deal with Namiki Falcon's "soft nib"? Is it a flex nib? Is it meant for calligraphy? Is it just meant to be more forgiving of weird grips and angles? Will my left-handed rear end love it dearly?

Okay, that was several questions.

It's a flex nib, but not as flexy as vintage flex nibs or even the Noodler's flex nibs. You could use it for calligraphy since the amount of pressure makes bigger lines. I have no idea how it will do with a left-handed grip, but I imagine it would be the same as any other pen. Left handers feel free to correct me on that!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It isn't really a flex nib-- more of a soft nib, as the name suggests. It's every so slightly springier than a normal nib, a feature I like a lot. It's worth trying in person first but it's by far my favorite pen. Has the same body size as a Sailor, and having used a regular 1911, I'd say the build quality is a bit better too.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

They definitely exist, though they're usually very old and kind of hard to acquire. They pop up on ebay now and again.

Vitamins fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 6, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
That looks like a retractable dip pen. Where is the ink stored?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

My bad you're right, the description said eyedropper but looking at the photos there's no way to get ink into it. Seems it's just a dip pen!

This however, is one with an internal ink reservoir!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Beautiful thanks. I've tried various fountain pens before in the past but never a glass one. I've heard they write the smoothest, better even than the best ball points.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I've never tried a glass one before either. I'm considering ordering one of the ones from the Goulets as something cheap to experiment with now!

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Beautiful thanks. I've tried various fountain pens before in the past but never a glass one. I've heard they write the smoothest, better even than the best ball points.

I have one. They're not as smooth as some fountain pens, and some people say they need to be sanded down when you get them. I find that the process of dipping and getting rid of the excess ink takes just long enough to interrupt my train of thought, but maybe I just need a thicker ink. But they look really pretty, and dipping is lots of fun. Why should you settle for 19th century technology when you can get 18th?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The one I have I mostly just use for trying out ink samples because it's quicker and easier than cleaning out a regular pen. I wouldn't want to write with it for any length of time at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Okay, I need a reliable pen with a big ol' ink tank. My Safari does the job, but I have to refill a lot more often than I'd like. Suggestions?