Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schir
Jan 23, 2012

I would also think that a .png would be better suited to Analogue, but a quick test told me that a .png was about 150 KB while .jpg was a third of that.

Schir fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Schir posted:

I would also think that a .png would be better suited to Analogue, but a quick test told me that a .png was about 150 KB while .jpg was a third of that.

Run your PNGs through something like Optipng or Pngout or any optimizing software. That should hopefully get it down enough that the extra quality is worth it.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

It was 150 KB after I ran it through PNGGauntlet.

As for transparentizing images, I guess I'll do that. It only takes a second, after all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Schir posted:

It was 150 KB after I ran it through PNGGauntlet.

As for transparentizing images, I guess I'll do that. It only takes a second, after all.

Ah, I didn't realize. Honestly, you're using few enough images that I think it could still work as PNGs, but that does start to depend on how much post traffic you get in your thread.

I can't say I really have an useful criticisms beyond that, sorry!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pierzak posted:

You may want to ask Bobbin Threadbare for advice, he did a (mostly) audio-only LP of Tomb of Horrors the old D&D module. Worked pretty well. It was attached to another LP, unfortunately I don't remember which one :(
Biosterous already mentioned it, but it was attached to the thematically similar Tomb of Elemental Evil LP.

Yeah, it was only mostly audio because the second monster session wound up being seven hours long and the video recorder couldn't handle making a file that big. There's also an ongoing D&D 4th edition LP which is, at your option, in audio-only podcast form.

The big issue I can see with audio-only LP's is that they step on Traditional Games' toes and those of their sub-sub forum The Game Room/Play-by-Post. If I recall right from the hubbub that caused the latter to be formed, the two things you need to abide by to stay kosher are to a) keep the game playing itself out of the thread (as in, if the thread itself is the means of playing the game, it's play-by-post and belongs there) and b) to do any necessary recruiting in Trad Games or TGR. Other than that, and in the absence of an official mod ruling, I don't see why an audio-only LP would be against the rules. Just make sure to put it in the thread title so people know what they're getting into.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and put in background music behind all the voices. It really helps with listener concentration and smooths out any awkward noises or pauses, plus it sets the mood if you know what you're doing.

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'd say you could maybe do with more screenshots, but it's hardly a big issue, or even really an issue (more of a matter of personal taste). I'd see what other people think too.
I'd second more screenshots as AaHS has a lot of text and it can look very daunting on its own.

I think it'd be useful to have the letters categorized by sender, date and relation in some way, but that probably isn't very practical. I just remember wishing for it when I was playing it, a better way to view the letters chronologically.

I definitely think you chose the right format.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Oh, and do yourself a favor and put in background music behind all the voices. It really helps with listener concentration and smooths out any awkward noises or pauses, plus it sets the mood if you know what you're doing.

As someone who listens to the 4E podcast and checked out the Pathfinder one for a bit when it was still around, please never do this. It is far more distracting than it is good and ends up being effort made to make it harder to listen to the people actually talking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I can see maybe doing a *very quiet* music during battles or something, but otherwise that kind of noise seems like it'd be the LP equivalent of Tinnitus. Why not just edit out any extended pauses instead?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

ElTipejoLoco posted:

A Voodoo-nit, Let's Play Virtual Murder 2: The Magic Death

I don't think the transcripts work as a replacement to watching the videos, and they don't add anything after watching the videos. I do appreciate that the videos are CCed though, so it may be the same amount of work for you. Maybe just have a short summary of the highlights instead of posting the full transcript in the thread?

I know I would follow this LP, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I can see maybe doing a *very quiet* music during battles or something, but otherwise that kind of noise seems like it'd be the LP equivalent of Tinnitus. Why not just edit out any extended pauses instead?

Well, the idea behind background music is to be entirely in the background and therefore not drown out anyone speaking. It needs to be leveled and quiet, be either mostly or entirely without vocals, and preferably fit the mood you're trying to build in whatever setting you're working in. Do you often find the background music in films or video games to be distracting and annoying? It's the exact same premise, assuming there's any sort of dialog or story told in audio. I've often set music playing quietly during extended Skype calls and not found it the least bit distracting.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

CirclMastr posted:

I don't think the transcripts work as a replacement to watching the videos, and they don't add anything after watching the videos. I do appreciate that the videos are CCed though, so it may be the same amount of work for you. Maybe just have a short summary of the highlights instead of posting the full transcript in the thread?

Ah, I copied the transcripts into the posts in case either the videos were annoying due to quality or sound popping, or if the viewer was unable to view them on their device(s) of choice. I could pretty much just summarize each.

It ultimately is the same amount of work for me, since I had to do the transcriptions by ear. I'm still not sure if I got a couple of words right, and I'm almost sure Voudoun might be either made-up or a borrowed word. At least, I've never heard anyone refer to Voodoo stuff with that term before.

Anyway, I went in and modified the first update a bit, replacing the transcripts. Is it better?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ocean's Eleven (because no one likes #12): Let's Play Etrian Odyssey 3!

Been batting the idea back and forth for quite a while now and I finally decided to get off my rear end and do it.

Here's the OP
Here's what will mostly be the first update

Still working on getting the filesizes down and I'll need to get the actual voting process/class breakdown out there, but other than that, how does it look?

theshim fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 4, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

theshim posted:

Ocean's Eleven (because no one likes #12): Let's Play Etrian Odyssey 3!

Been batting the idea back and forth for quite a while now and I finally decided to get off my rear end and do it.

Here's the OP
Here's what will mostly be the first update

Still working on getting the filesizes down and I'll need to get the actual voting process/class breakdown out there, but other than that, how does it look?

If you're going to add in your own writing, you should really include some sort of a sample of that in your test post.

Also, your images look kinda blurry, but I can't say for sure until I get a comparison myself. That seems to just be how the game looks I guess. Your images are, like you said, too big. Cross referencing your posts in the Tech Support thread, I'd recommend not playing with LQ2x. I don't know if that's actually the problem, but it's the only difference between what you're doing and what I'm doing, and I'm getting 67.5Kb for an image that's 130kb for you.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cake Attack posted:

Also, your images look kinda blurry, but I can't say for sure until I get a comparison myself.

I'm pretty sure they were initially saved as JPGs:

The one on the left is from the test post, for reference.

There's also some rather obvious artifacting in a few images, such as in the very first one between the two lines of text.

theshim
May 1, 2012

They were initially saved as PNGs. I'm horribly confused now, but I do have two ideas: 1) what should I be using to take the screenshots from the recording? I get the same size whether I just screenshot directly from MPC or lift it with VirtualDub, and 2) does the codec I record with in Desmume matter at all?

...man, what the hell did I even do?

As for the writing, that's pretty much going to be character-driven based on what the thread gives me to work with, but I'll add a small test update with a sample of dungeon crawling and banter in a little bit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

theshim posted:

They were initially saved as PNGs. I'm horribly confused now, but I do have two ideas: 1) what should I be using to take the screenshots from the recording? I get the same size whether I just screenshot directly from MPC or lift it with VirtualDub, and 2) does the codec I record with in Desmume matter at all?

...man, what the hell did I even do?

As for the writing, that's pretty much going to be character-driven based on what the thread gives me to work with, but I'll add a small test update with a sample of dungeon crawling and banter in a little bit.

Yeah, the codec does matter. You should be recording using a lossless codec. I personally grab the screen from AvsPmod, but whatever floats your boat really, VirtualDub should be fun. What's your exact process? I'd like to see what size of an image I get doing the same thing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Alright, given that taking them from VirtualDub or AvsPmod gets me the same file sizes, I'm going to have to assume it's a problem with the recording in the first place. I'll try a new recording and take screens from there - what codec/settings would you recommend?

e: exact process was record in Desmume (think I used the ffdshow codec), then take the screenshots from the videos (the ones in the test post I think I took straight in Media Player Classic, oh god I am the worst LPer :ohdear: and taking them in VirtualDub or AvsPmod gets notably nicer colors but identical filesizes) and run them through a crop and resize in IrfanView.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 4, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Use a lossless codec to record (Lagarinth is the recommended one, I think), and make sure you don't have any filters or anything on the emulator.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

theshim posted:

Alright, given that taking them from VirtualDub or AvsPmod gets me the same file sizes, I'm going to have to assume it's a problem with the recording in the first place. I'll try a new recording and take screens from there - what codec/settings would you recommend?

e: exact process was record in Desmume (think I used the ffdshow codec), then take the screenshots from the videos (the ones in the test post I think I took straight in Media Player Classic, oh god I am the worst LPer :ohdear: and taking them in VirtualDub or AvsPmod gets notably nicer colors but identical filesizes) and run them through a crop and resize in IrfanView.

Basically what Artix said. Record using the Lagarith lossless codec, make sure you don't have any filters, and then take screens from AvsPmod or VirtualDub. I prefer AvsPmod, but whatever. A quick test got me an 82Kb shot, for something that was 130kb in your testpost.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Using Lagarith gets me down to about 60kb for the screenshots, but it makes the emulator hang and the files are huge - I'll have to see if I can do anything about that. Anyway, is 60kb good enough for this?

Sample:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, that's good. As for emulator slow down, that's more difficult. You could record with a second program, instead of DeSmuMe, but outside of Fraps I don't have experience with that, and Fraps doesn't work for that.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Let's Play Decker: the worst part of Shadowrun!

Thread is now live at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542142

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, that's good. As for emulator slow down, that's more difficult. You could record with a second program, instead of DeSmuMe, but outside of Fraps I don't have experience with that, and Fraps doesn't work for that.

The recommended solution for that is recording a keystroke recording, then replaying that into a video file in post. You probably need to look up how keystroke recordings in DeSmuMe handle save/savestates.

Samsa
Dec 28, 2012

Some people are cockroaches.
Gregor is a weird name.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You probably need to look up how keystroke recordings in DeSmuMe handle save/savestates.

Quite well, given the abundance of DS tool-assisted speedruns popping up.

This most recent version (to my knowledge) should work the best.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

theshim posted:

Using Lagarith gets me down to about 60kb for the screenshots, but it makes the emulator hang and the files are huge - I'll have to see if I can do anything about that. Anyway, is 60kb good enough for this?

Sample:

I right clicked your image, selected copy image, opened up Irfan, saved it onto my desktop. Then I ran it through optipng and got it down to 47.7KB.

edit: for comparison, http://lpix.org/1161662/Clipboard01.png

theshim
May 1, 2012

Volume posted:

I right clicked your image, selected copy image, opened up Irfan, saved it onto my desktop. Then I ran it through optipng and got it down to 47.7KB.

edit: for comparison, http://lpix.org/1161662/Clipboard01.png
Optipng seems to shave off a good chunk now, actually (as opposed to before when it did nothing). I'll run the images through it. Thanks! Think I'm almost ready to get this show on the road.

E: Thread for EO3 is live at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542245

Thanks to everyone for the help, especially Artix and Cake Attack!

theshim fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 5, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

reply is not edit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Forgiving sense of damnation -- Let's Play Legie

This is a weird one, and something I've wanted to share with people for a while. It's ostensibly a dungeon crawler, but really it's just an adventure game, which is why I chose a non-combat section for the test post. I haven't done an LP in a while, and never on SA obviously, so definitely want some pointers on how to make things more interesting or enjoyable!

OP is here

and here's the first update

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think you missed a portrait tag (BAGPIPE No nugget will save a man, as one preacher used to say… ) and you may want to make your character portraits a little larger (though others may be fine with the size). Other than that, you may want to put either your commentary or the dialogue in italics to help differentiate things.

Those are pretty minor things, though, and overall it looks good considering the game makes no loving sense. If anything, I'm looking forward to seeing how crazy this game gets, so I'm looking forward to the LP.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've only put together a test update so far, since I have a question about the OP.

Update 1, Heroes of Might & Magic 5

Are my images alright (I'm thinking particularly filesize/format here), and have I done anything horribly wrong with my writing, choice of game, choice of format or anything?

Also, the OP should just be general background information about the game and the LP, but how in detail should I go about the game? Do I take everything at all lore related and about game systems into a second post? For that post, I'm not really sure what to write about. I'll talk about the main characters and factions as we meet them. Since I'm not really going to talk more about the battles once we've seen all the battle mechanics other than to show new units, and maybe go into important battles to say hey, these guys go over here and kill X, I lose guy Y and then hey, we win/lose and here's a cutscene. Should I put stat sheets for all the different units, or is it enough to say "this is a griffin, he upgrades into the armoured griffin, and he's a good unit for task Z"? Also, should I ever mention expansions, given that I don't know whether I want to do them or not yet? It's interesting to note they had expansions and the changes they made, but ultimately if it's information that won't mean anything to my playthrough of this bit and something people might never see...

Edit: Another thought: There's an intro video on starting up the game which sets up the story. If I were to upload it to youtube myself, would I end up with content strikes? It's an intro to a 2006 games which the devs haven't put on, but there are a couple of copies up anyway. Would I be better off linking to someone else's upload or doing my own?

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 5, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I think you missed a portrait tag (BAGPIPE No nugget will save a man, as one preacher used to say… ) and you may want to make your character portraits a little larger (though others may be fine with the size). Other than that, you may want to put either your commentary or the dialogue in italics to help differentiate things.

Those are pretty minor things, though, and overall it looks good considering the game makes no loving sense. If anything, I'm looking forward to seeing how crazy this game gets, so I'm looking forward to the LP.

Thanks! I can definitely italicize the comments as you suggested. With regards to portrait size, would
: this size of portrait
be better than
: what I have in the test post?

I had originally considered the former, so I have portraits of that size ready to go, but it's not like it takes very long to just make some of a different size if that's wiser.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Doing a quick test, 75x75 would probably be best, as you can still make out the faces reasonably yet still have the portraits be not too distracting. Depends on what everyone else prefers, though.

For references, a quick resize to 75x75:

Sample dialogue here.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
75 x 75 looks best, I think. I also think you should get rid of those colons between the portrait and dialogue. It's not necessary and is kind of distracting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gatz posted:

75 x 75 looks best, I think. I also think you should get rid of those colons between the portrait and dialogue. It's not necessary and is kind of distracting.

updated link

Fixed the portraits, formatted it properly -- hopefully it's better now. Fortunately it's pretty easy to pull dialog from the game, since it's all text and doesn't automatically advance, so the main problem is presentation here.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 5, 2013

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Looking great to me. I don't see anything else needing change, so I think it's ready for a thread.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Looks weird as heck! I approve.

One thing I'd appreciate, though: it looks like you've left word-processor 'smart quotes' in your text, which makes my browser hork and replace them with random kanji. If you could replace your smart quotes with regular plain-text quotes, it'd make your text a lot more readable.

EDIT: Now that I have said that, that's something that the forums software may fix automatically (which the test poster does not). You may be able to ignore me here.

Picayune fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 5, 2013

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Be careful if you're going to use anything copyrighted by Universal in your videos.
If they take your video down Youtube will not let you make a counter claim.

http://torrentfreak.com/youtube-deal-with-universal-blocks-dmca-counter-notices-130405/

SentientPeanut
Apr 4, 2013
I accidentally started a chat about how to fix my video in the request forum can you guys
Look and see how my video is progressing? here

Sorry I’m new, I don’t know if this is sounding like an interest check…

I'm also sorry that i wont be able to reply for a few hours,
if you would be kind enough to help i will be back as soon as possible :)

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I added a new video to my Virtual Murder 2 test post, and I wanted some feedback on it since I ran it through Youtube's editor. I wanted to confirm whether or not the quality is acceptable or terrible. Similarly, I'd like a little more feedback on the Screenshot portion's current iteration.

I've been putting off making a new post about it since I've only received feedback once, so I decided to add something new to the test post to make up for that, and I don't want to accidentally misinterpret a lack of feedback as approval of quality and unintentionally make a thread that is, well, lacking in said quality.

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Alright, I fixed up the test post for Analogue, could I get a bit more criticism on it before I post the thread?

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=11543

Some things I did to fix it:
  • Increased the portrait size a tiny bit
  • Used .pngs instead of .jpgs
  • Made the portraits transparent
  • Added a few more images

Schir fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 5, 2013

• Locked thread