Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I think having a reasonable goal in mind keeps you from taking the hobby too far. I learned this setting up Hyperspin, that there are some consoles and games I will never have a desire or reason to play and decided to remove them so I didn't have to scroll through countless systems and games to get to the ones I enjoyed. When I began collecting hardware, I took a similar approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

StellarX posted:

I think having a reasonable goal in mind keeps you from taking the hobby too far. I learned this setting up Hyperspin, that there are some consoles and games I will never have a desire or reason to play and decided to remove them so I didn't have to scroll through countless systems and games to get to the ones I enjoyed. When I began collecting hardware, I took a similar approach.

Pretty much this. I grew up with the N64 and my goal is to collect every N64 NTSC carts as well as some Japanese ones, but I know I have no attachment to the TurboGraphx 16 and I'm better off buying a couple of TG16 games on the Wii/PS3.

I can play Devil Crush and Super Star Soldier without having to track down expensive hardware!

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Ineffiable posted:

Pretty much this. I grew up with the N64 and my goal is to collect every N64 NTSC carts as well as some Japanese ones, but I know I have no attachment to the TurboGraphx 16 and I'm better off buying a couple of TG16 games on the Wii/PS3.

I can play Devil Crush and Super Star Soldier without having to track down expensive hardware!

But, maaannnnn... If there was ever a system to get hopelessly addicted to, it's the Turbo! It's so awesome, you're doing it all wrong.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mobius posted:

But, maaannnnn... If there was ever a system to get hopelessly addicted to, it's the Turbo! It's so awesome, you're doing it all wrong.

Even as a kid I never fell to the wiles of Johnny Turbo and Sega Sanshiro.

:colbert:

Though I will say I love the Sega Saturn even if most of my games for it are burned copies of Japanese games. I bought the system off another goon on a whim for cheap and it's nifty to have around.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

zenintrude posted:

OK guys, we're rapidly approaching pound of flesh territory. Time to shut it down.

I am willing to do what it takes to have the entire C64 library of everything on a single storage device, and also skip the attrocious load times on the 1541. :colbert:

Y'only need one lung and one kidney anyway.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

I am willing to do what it takes to have the entire C64 library of everything on a single storage device, and also skip the attrocious load times on the 1541. :colbert:

If you don't have the 1541 load times then you're doing the C64 wrong. :colbert:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

If you don't have the 1541 load times then you're doing the C64 wrong. :colbert:

I appreciate this sentiment and agree to a degree [and dat drive read noise :allears:] but I am old, and lacking in patience, and want my bleep bloop noooooow :corsair:

e. Also that means having disks, and I have declining faith in 20-30 year old 5.25" floppy disks keeping their poo poo together

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

e. Also that means having disks, and I have declining faith in 20-30 year old 5.25" floppy disks keeping their poo poo together

Funny you mention that, I suspect 5.25" disks have a much better shelf life if they're not bent than 3.5" disks. I think I still have a 5.25" high density drive in glorious beige somewhere, I used it a few years back to recover my dad's WordPerfect files from 1981 when he wrote his book.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

zenintrude posted:

If it helps you understand how bad it is, his wife left him (with his kids!) over his obsession a few years back, but Luke kept truckin' hoardin'! :thumbsup:

[edit] More than likely he has compulsions/obsessions beyond his control, but the money he should be spending on therapy is going to games.

This makes the Giant Bomb hoarders parody CollectSHUN a little less hilarious

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/game-of-the-year-2012-day-four-recap/2300-6916/

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I love owning old hardware, so I end up buying all the old consoles I can. As for games, I just work on a wishlist of sorts and go from there. I used to have the goal of trying to get every NES game released in the US, but stopped doing that when I hit the 300 mark, and it turned out I owned most of the best the console had to offer. Hell, the only game I can think of that I want for the NES now is Ninja Gaiden III, and that's the worst of the three Ninja Gaiden NES games. There may also be about two or three black box NES games I'm on the lookout for as well.

For every other platform, I get all the games that the platform is probably most known for, those top tier games that everybody has heard of at one point or another, as well as a few cult classic titles that got rave reviews and word of mouth appeal, and a few really bad games just to remind me that not all was great on the platform. I also have a bit of a weakness towards first-party titles; it's easier with Nintendo and Sega, but not so much with Sony and especially Microsoft.

All that being said, my spending as of late has slowed a lot, thanks to a lot of my collection reaching a point where I'm satisfied. I own the majority of the NES games I wanted, as well as the SNES, N64, Genesis, Playstation, Game Boy, etc. There are a few Saturn games I'm in the market for, but they're on the higher end of the price spectrum. The TG-16/CD setup will probably be my next big game buying project after I'm done with those few expensive Saturn titles, since I only own about 12 games total for that system, and I know there's more that I want. As for most of the other platforms, there's maybe a stray game or two I'll get if they catch my eye on a random trip to some local store, but otherwise there's nothing I'm actively seeking for those.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today is Thursday, but more importantly it's Rakuten delivery day!

Going off the top of my head, my Saturn collection has gone from 2-3 games up to 44. :stare:

Also interesting to note, the Gundam Side Story games were listed as "limited edition" on Surugaya, and unlike the other games are sealed in plastic bags.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

iastudent posted:

Today is Thursday, but more importantly it's Rakuten delivery day!

Going off the top of my head, my Saturn collection has gone from 2-3 games up to 44. :stare:

Also interesting to note, the Gundam Side Story games were listed as "limited edition" on Surugaya, and unlike the other games are sealed in plastic bags.

What's that Virus game about? Looks interesting.

Also, Deep Fear, you're a hero in my heart.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

I honestly have no idea. I got 300 free points from Rakuten for some reason but they were considered "limited", so I just threw a bunch of cheap Saturn stuff I didn't have yet into an order. :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was semi tempted to get a Sega system to play the old Sonic games, and then I found this:

The gods saved me from myself it would seem. $5 at a Toys r Us outlet :)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ineffiable posted:

Looks confusing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FooW-WBofBQ

http://www.mobygames.com/game/virus

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaii posted:

Another really good channel is Luke Morse. He's recently done another room tour.. and.. well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_vaeczma2Y

:|

What do people like this DO for a living? I'd love to work a job that pays well enough to buy expensive toys and then actually have the time to play with them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

al-azad posted:

What do people like this DO for a living? I'd love to work a job that pays well enough to buy expensive toys and then actually have the time to play with them.

They probably work a retail job and retain crippling levels of debt.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Random Stranger posted:

If your C64 ain't got a FastLoad cart in it, then you suck. :colbert:

I keep my C64 collection on my regular computers and dump disk images to the 1541s over one of those custom cables.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tusen Takk posted:

They probably work a retail job and retain crippling levels of debt.

It's that kind of mess that makes me want to sell everything and buy some flash carts.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Finally finished casing my GBA games in DS cases:

And while I'm at it, I guess I'll take pics of the rest of my Nintendo collection

Wii/GC

SNES

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I got curious about those Gundam games and pulled them out of the plastic to see what was up with them.

It may be hard to tell from the picture, but they're all hardbound as opposed to being in standard jewel cases.

Each one also has the instruction manual glued to the inside cover.

With some nice art and layouts I must say.

Also you Virtual On purists can get it on the fun too!

And finally, this pin came bundled with the first game (those spots where there when I opened it).

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

al-azad posted:

It's not hard when you have a decent paying job and are single with no kids with no major debt.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Since I had no idea about this retro gaming thread till 2 days ago, it's worth posting a link here :

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512313

Current challenge is Revenge Of Shinobi on the Genesis/Mega Drive. Y'know, just in case you guys actually want to play some old games.

The nerd dollar is strong. It's given rise to a new term coined by the BBC I believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22009425

midge fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 4, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

fatpat268 posted:

It's not hard when you have a decent paying job and are single with no kids with no major debt.

Probably don't even go on vacation, as well as living in a cheap home/apartment, and own a used car? It's managable.

Especially if you also supplement your income by buying/reselling.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

fatpat268 posted:

He's a white nerd living in a tiny closet in Japan... we can assume that he's an ESOL teacher or something along those lines.

Ineffiable posted:

Especially if you also supplement your income by buying/reselling.

Also this... I'm not sure if he's supplementing as much as attempting to mitigate the hemorrhaging.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ineffiable posted:

Pretty much the way I treat it as well. I buy a lot of Dreamcast, SNES, PS1, N64 and Genesis games, everything else I tend to ignore. Hell even those systems, I don't buy everything I come across.

Then again at the end of the day, my policy with buying retro stuff or stuff for any other hobby, is that my bills, and groceries get taken care of first, after that, I can go have fun.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I have little interest in the game collecting part. I love having original hardware and a neat setup to play on but I'd rather just get flash carts and stuff.

Edit.. I have collected plenty of games over the years for every system I've owned they just aren't my main focus after the consoles gain retro status. I'm no dirty pirate... Maybe a clean one...

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 4, 2013

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Timett posted:

I have little interest in the game collecting part. I love having original hardware and a neat setup to play on but I'd rather just get flash carts and stuff.

Yeah that's how I'm starting to feel with my cart based systems. I'll likely keep the games I already have and only buy the occasional game I'd like to own a cartridge of, but flash carts just make the whole process so much easier on my wallet and closet space.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I mostly stick to Nintendo consoles as since those were all I had growing up with. Space is limited where I live, so I tend to pick the must own games for each system. I pretty much have all the SNES games that are on everyone's top ten list and the ones I had fond memories of playing when I was younger. I'm still missing a few Squaresoft RPGs such as Final Fantasy II and Chrono Trigger though. Playing games on the actual hardware is way better than emulating them. That being said, I would love to have one of those SNES Flash carts. Play ROMs on actual hardware, best of both worlds!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I used to collect slavishly but last year I sold everything that wasn't A) a good game, B) a game with some kind of novelty (like the train simulators with controllers), or C) didn't have some kind of emotional/sentimental value. I ended up selling 2/3 of my collection. It was liberating. Now I look at a shelf of good games and cool hardware instead of 1,000 cartridges full of poo poo I bought only because it was .99 cents at Funcoland.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fatpat268 posted:

Finally finished casing my GBA games in DS cases:

This looks fantastic! How did you do that/where did you get the cases/ make the inserts?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

In case anyone was curious, this is how the instructions for the SFC version of FF5 look.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think we can pretty much agree though. This is a money-consuming hobby first and foremost. No matter your level of involvement in it, you will eventually want more games, or to start getting boxes/manuals for your current game. Or you'll discover some interesting hardware and start 'investing' in it.

Even if you start out emulating games on your computer and a keyboard, I feel like it's a slippery slope from there. I started college with a collection of PC emulators and ROMs and a xbox 360 controller, and now over 4 years later, I have a collection that's probably worth over 2k+.

It's why our signature emoticon is burning money.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

I think we can pretty much agree though. This is a money-consuming hobby first and foremost. No matter your level of involvement in it, you will eventually want more games, or to start getting boxes/manuals for your current game. Or you'll discover some interesting hardware and start 'investing' in it.

Even if you start out emulating games on your computer and a keyboard, I feel like it's a slippery slope from there. I started college with a collection of PC emulators and ROMs and a xbox 360 controller, and now over 4 years later, I have a collection that's probably worth over 2k+.

It's why our signature emoticon is burning money.

Yea, most hobbies involve financial investment, but I think when it gets to the point where your wife takes the kids and leaves...might be time to cut back a little.

Anyway, games. SOS (the boat escape one) is kicking my rear end. Alien 3 for the genesis is really good too, but drat I wish it told you where the level exits were.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Has someone ever compiled a list of original Famicom Japan exclusives that can be played without extensive Japanese reading ability?

Even though I'm planning to get an Everdrive N8, I have a bunch of eBay Bucks that are burning a hole in my virtual pocket. I never wanted to collect Famicom but the cartridges are so fun looking. What have I gotten myself into?

:cry: :retrogames: :retrogames: :cry:

EDIT: Also, since it's semi relevant, does anyone know of an AR Japanese translation app for Android? I know there's one for iOS, but I haven't seen one on my platform yet.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2013

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
Seriously, Namco Star Wars is pretty good. Very weird take on the movie and also balls hard. Also has a shiny cartridge with an end label (pretty rare for Famicom carts I believe)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

shymog posted:

EDIT: Also, since it's semi relevant, does anyone know of an AR Japanese translation app for Android? I know there's one for iOS, but I haven't seen one on my platform yet.

Pretty sure the Google Translate app does it now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

shymog posted:

Has someone ever compiled a list of original Famicom Japan exclusives that can be played without extensive Japanese reading ability?

I'm not aware of any such list but if you wanted to look into it a good starting point is to start with the late Famicom releases. From 1991 on localizations for NES games became pretty rare. So while there were Japanese companies who had finally mastered developing games on the platform, that was the point where things slowed down.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Install Gentoo posted:

Pretty sure the Google Translate app does it now.

No, not quite. It lets you tap to take a picture and highlight the text to be translated. I'm looking for something that does it in real-time.

I figure I could grab a copy of Dragon Quest 3 or something I'm familiar with and use an app of that sort to supplement my incredibly limited reading ability and then move on to stuff like Lagrange Point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm running into a bit of trouble getting my PS1 imports to play on my US system. I thought I had read previously that by using a Gameshark or Action Replay to pause a NTSC-U disc while the tray was open (usually by selecting it to read music tracks), you could then swap out the disc and put in your JP or whatever one, then start the game up by exiting the cheat device's menu.

I'm using a Gameshark Pro 3.0 on a model # SCPH-5501, manufactured August 1997, if any of that makes a difference.

• Locked thread