Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Yakattak posted:

It won't "void" it. They'll just deny the warranty claim if something goes wrong that could have been caused by it. Which being the ECU could be anything. The dealer can apparently see if the original map was changed but this is highly disputed. It's also disputed if it can even be used to prove anything. I think it is just a checksum difference but I could be wrong. 92 octane could be weird because AFAIK Cobb only has 91 and 93 octane maps for the off the shelf options. You'll notice a nice difference on stage 1 though.

From what I have gathered, if they check your ECU, it will looks as if you have unhooked your battery when you flash/reflash. There is definitely a lot of conflicting information. I really want to get one for my '13 STi, but I am a worrywart and figure that if I flash the ECU, I'll get hit full in the face with the ringland issue the next day. The WRX doesn't suffer from the same condition, I hear, so you may be better off.

What I do know is that a wet fart has to work better as a tune than what SOA saddled the STi with stock.

Edit: Congratulations on the new car. I hope you get as big of a smile driving it as I do driving mine. :)

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexanderCarrillo
Nov 27, 2012

nm posted:

No one waves in socal :(

I live in SoCal and that is definitely not true. Especially in places like Big Bear.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AlexanderCarrillo posted:

I live in SoCal and that is definitely not true. Especially in places like Big Bear.

Maybe no one waves at stock looking subaru wagons (even GTs).

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

War Bunny posted:

Accessport, ringlands

Just buy one. They are sweet. One life to live. As a realistic mitigation, DD the car in S mode with the AccessPORT flash, it's 14.5 psi target. I think the people that blow their motors on stage 1 are in S# pounding it all day.

-----

Extra-S is awesome and I am just here to say it makes as much of a difference as people have said. I was expecting to barely notice a difference in my 18k mile STi, but I did the tranny and rear diff with it Saturday and the difference is really nice. Smoother, feels way better, much quieter under engine braking (esp. 2nd gear), and the car just feels more lively with a transmission that wants to work. I haven't pushed it so I don't know how the diffs feel yet.

Also at only 18 k miles, I had plenty of shavings on the magnets and the rear diff fluid was blacker than the blackest black, times infinity.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Am I safe to run 225/40/18 Yokohama s.drives on 18x8 +48 Rota Gravels? I'm terrible with this stuff. Also anyone used the s.drives? I've heard good things.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Just buy one. They are sweet. One life to live. As a realistic mitigation, DD the car in S mode with the AccessPORT flash, it's 14.5 psi target. I think the people that blow their motors on stage 1 are in S# pounding it all day.

-----

Extra-S is awesome and I am just here to say it makes as much of a difference as people have said. I was expecting to barely notice a difference in my 18k mile STi, but I did the tranny and rear diff with it Saturday and the difference is really nice. Smoother, feels way better, much quieter under engine braking (esp. 2nd gear), and the car just feels more lively with a transmission that wants to work. I haven't pushed it so I don't know how the diffs feel yet.

Also at only 18 k miles, I had plenty of shavings on the magnets and the rear diff fluid was blacker than the blackest black, times infinity.

One life to live, and my wife would put an end to it if we had to pay out of pocket for a new motor. ;).

I did decide to splurge on changing my fluids over to Motul now that the break in period is over. Thanks for posting about your oil. Some people say its a waste, but I've always been one to change fluids out early and often for that very reason.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

No one waves in socal :(

I got waves or headlight flashes all the time in my STI. Evo too.

Can't wait til other Bricklin owners throw the peace sign on the streets.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, like I said, I'm probably just being overly paranoid. I'm at this point where I have to decide if I want to start putting more money into the '02 to keep it on the road (rust fixing, new tires, some suspension work) and I have this voice saying "you do this and 500 miles later the engine will blow!"

My '11 is so much quieter by comparison that my perspective for noisiness has probably been skewed.

My 02 spun a rod bearing after making ticking noises (though I can't hear if its similar, probably not as I can't hear it).
I spun the rod bearing at a lapping day though. I wasn't down on oil that day, but I may have been before/before I got the car.

It was a reason to put in a ej207 though, so now I have more power/more worries about funny noises because I know how much it costs to fix it.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
What's the deal with subframe bushings - are inserts more than enough or is it worth it to pony up for the full replacement on a daily driven, sometimes tracked/auto-x'ed 3G WRX; also, am I correct in assuming whiteline has the current best offering or should I look at another brand?

From what I've seen, the full replacement bushings are a giant pain in the rear end to work with, but I have access to a full shop with press, if needed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah completely replacing them is a pretty involved process. Whole rear x-member and suspension and diff has to come out and then you've got to figure out a way to get it into a press to get the old bushings out.

It is worthwhile to replace/stiffen bushings in the rear end though because there are so many of them. four pretty soft mounts for the x-member, and then 6 more bushings per side that are all moving around when you load the suspension.

So I would just go with the inserts. Whiteline and Kartboy make them but the whitelines have things in them that stick out and fill the voids while the KBs are just plain discs that fit between the x-member bushings and chassis. Also the 08-10) had softer bushings with more voids.

What other suspension parts do you have on the car?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
RCE yellows on Koni sport inserts, 25/22 Perrin sways with Kartboy endlinks

What else can you recommend to take away from the handling slop? I've already got a pitchstop, group n tranny mount(don't really mind the NVH), and whiteline's posi shift kit ear-marked away for when I pull the trigger, so I figure I might as well handle all of this in one go.

I'll be sure to hit you up with a parts list to see what you carry, after I finish moving and decide to go bushing crazy.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 3, 2013

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
So I bought this
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=APSRRC

And two of these
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HA%2F741

And also some 50mm version of these..
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...365033641754858

Oil money means I can finally live out my dream this year. I'm building a goddamn rally car out of my rolled 2002 Impreza Wagon, motherfuckers!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I really gotta ask - do Whiteline USA have anywhere near the number of bushing failures Australia seems to get? Noting another 3-4 ALK faliures in the last couple of weeks.

Whiteline is becoming a poison name with the regular failures esp of ALK's

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

No. I have only seen it happen once ever and they guy had a new one from WL within a week.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

So I started my project thread for the $600 Legacy I picked up over the weekend.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541811
Getting some "holy shits" already. Come have a look!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

MrZig posted:

So I bought this
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=APSRRC

And two of these
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HA%2F741

And also some 50mm version of these..
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...365033641754858

Oil money means I can finally live out my dream this year. I'm building a goddamn rally car out of my rolled 2002 Impreza Wagon, motherfuckers!

Congrats. Charles from safe drives is awesome to work with.

Did you get the JVABs used or from the JVAB guy?

Also, Have fun with that cage kit, I've read that the fitment is poo poo from the main hoop forward.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I put in an order for a new set of 50mm's from John (the JVAB guy).

The cage doesn't have to be perfect. I plan on writing this car off anyway! Cheap is the name of the game here. My next build will probably have a proper custom cage.
And yeah Charles was awesome to deal with. He says he runs the Autopower cage in his car and it works good, so we'll see.

I'm full on stoked about it though. I should be able to compete in October at Pacific Forest Rally!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

MrZig posted:

And yeah Charles was awesome to deal with. He says he runs the Autopower cage in his car and it works good, so we'll see.

Has he crashed extensively with it?

I wouldn't think there would be a way to determine "works good" without basically crushing the gently caress out of the car (see Evo crash from Pikes Peak).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm getting a cam grind from Deltacam for my RS.

Do I want the 1000, 1500, or 2000 grind? I rallycross the car and daily drive it a bit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

McSpatula posted:

RCE yellows on Koni sport inserts, 25/22 Perrin sways with Kartboy endlinks

What else can you recommend to take away from the handling slop? I've already got a pitchstop, group n tranny mount(don't really mind the NVH), and whiteline's posi shift kit ear-marked away for when I pull the trigger, so I figure I might as well handle all of this in one go.

I'll be sure to hit you up with a parts list to see what you carry, after I finish moving and decide to go bushing crazy.

Now that you've done the struts, springs, and bars it's going to come down to bushings mostly. The ALK up front is a big one because the stock rear control arm bushing is very soft and tends to fall apart. Steering rack doesn't make as much of a difference as it did on the older cars but there is still a little bit of play there. So if it was me I would start with the ALK and rear subframe bushing inserts, the outer rear LCA bushings because they are fairly easy, and then gradually start replacing other bushings in the rear end. The biggest pain in the rear end are the upper a-arm bushings just because the bolts are so hard to get to.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

daslog posted:

I'm getting a cam grind from Deltacam for my RS.

Do I want the 1000, 1500, or 2000 grind? I rallycross the car and daily drive it a bit.

Just be aware that if you're running the stock ECU it will periodically throw misfire codes with more aggressive cams. And while you're in there you might as well do valve springs and stuff.

I have direct experience with (stage III twin-cam, mind) TechWorks cams http://www.techworkseng.com/Products/Subaru_Engine_Cams.htm and springs - I was super-happy with them in my DD, with the caveat that I had to clear a misfire code every few weeks.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

MrZig posted:

I put in an order for a new set of 50mm's from John (the JVAB guy).

The cage doesn't have to be perfect. I plan on writing this car off anyway! Cheap is the name of the game here. My next build will probably have a proper custom cage.

I'm full on stoked about it though. I should be able to compete in October at Pacific Forest Rally!

John makes a great product, I just don't have the time or budget to go that route, maybe next year.

As for the cage, it is a perfectly fine cage that will pass logbook when installed correctly, I have just read about a lot of fitment issues main hoop forward. If you have the talent to get it in and welded up and work around any issues, awesome. I knew I didn't have that talent, so I outsourced it.

Those OMP seats are surprisingly comfortable. I got the brackets for them and welded the brackets in car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sockington posted:

I wouldn't think there would be a way to determine "works good" without basically crushing the gently caress out of the car (see Evo crash from Pikes Peak).

And in that case, the cage was a heap of poo poo and it was luck the co-driver wasnt killed. Anyone who knew poo poo about rollcages would have seen that one coming.

There are ways actually. Pro cage designers usually have pretty good modelling tools to "test" a cage and get a feel where crash energy is being directed, so before the cage goes in the car a designer can have a pretty good idea what'll do in the event of the worst happening

The FIA does test designs to destruction for certification too, so you get a pretty good idea what actually works and what doesnt. If a cage design is FIA certififed, it'll work. It'll then come down to how well it's fabricated and there's non destructive ways to test that.

But I think SiF is more talking about the chassis stiffening effects in this case.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

But I think SiF is more talking about the chassis stiffening effects in this case.

I'm just saying I've seen people say fitment sucks b pillar forward. It will pass logbook when you get it installed and let you go racing. As for how good it is keeping the non squishy things away from your squishy parts. I dont know I just press the loud pedal and pray I dont die.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

And in that case, the cage was a heap of poo poo and it was luck the co-driver wasnt killed. Anyone who knew poo poo about rollcages would have seen that one coming.

Yea, because no one on that professional race team had ever even seen a roll cage before before they slapped that one together.

Didn't they plummet off a cliff and survive? Sounds to me like it worked pretty well, but who am I to argue with a roll cage expert who has intimate knowledge of the cage in that exact car? OH WAIT.

Seriously, of all the dumbass know it all Internet pricks I have observed, you are the worst.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Seriously, of all the dumbass know it all Internet pricks I have observed, you are the worst.

Haha, oh lord. :allears:

I'm pretty sure cage design is something CT knows well. I know I haven't spent a small fortune on rallying for the past xx years.

IIRC, we talked about that crash in detail in another thread and there were some points that could have been reinforced. Also the passenger had a shittier seat than the driver.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 3, 2013

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Yea, because no one on that professional race team had ever even seen a roll cage before before they slapped that one together.

Didn't they plummet off a cliff and survive? Sounds to me like it worked pretty well, but who am I to argue with a roll cage expert who has intimate knowledge of the cage in that exact car? OH WAIT.

I feel like I'm missing something. Are we getting some cross thread shouting matches?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I'm not the only person voicing that opinion - and moreover they are better at the rollcage game than either of us, so go get all Internet Yelly at someone else.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Slow is Fast posted:

John makes a great product, I just don't have the time or budget to go that route, maybe next year.

As for the cage, it is a perfectly fine cage that will pass logbook when installed correctly, I have just read about a lot of fitment issues main hoop forward. If you have the talent to get it in and welded up and work around any issues, awesome. I knew I didn't have that talent, so I outsourced it.

Those OMP seats are surprisingly comfortable. I got the brackets for them and welded the brackets in car.

I've heard the JVAB stuff is good. MAN he talks a lot too, like I heard it was bad but jesus he likes his own voice. Very entertaining guy to talk to though, for sure.

I ordered seat brackets as well and I'm pretty stoked on the whole thing. Can't wait to build it all up.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

MrZig posted:

I've heard the JVAB stuff is good. MAN he talks a lot too, like I heard it was bad but jesus he likes his own voice. Very entertaining guy to talk to though, for sure.

I ordered seat brackets as well and I'm pretty stoked on the whole thing. Can't wait to build it all up.

YUP.

I didn't have time for that poo poo. I wanted to put my credit card into a web page and get a thing, none of this call a guy and talk about stuff kinda deal. I'm building up STi struts this year and I'll deal with him over the winter.

I've already done most of my car build, so don't be afraid to ask me anything if you run into stuff.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Slow is Fast posted:

YUP.

I didn't have time for that poo poo. I wanted to put my credit card into a web page and get a thing, none of this call a guy and talk about stuff kinda deal. I'm building up STi struts this year and I'll deal with him over the winter.

I've already done most of my car build, so don't be afraid to ask me anything if you run into stuff.

Its funny because half the poo poo he talks about isn't even about cars at all. Also, he promotes fun RWD cars more so than Subarus. Calls them unreliable haha.

Do you have any kind of blog/build page of your car? I'd like to see it all condensed. As far as advice - I'll probably ask questions here and there. I have a few rally buddies in town that have been doing it for years so I have a lot of knowledge to draw on. Plus my crew has serviced for a rally team before and they know their Subarus.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MrZig posted:

Its funny because half the poo poo he talks about isn't even about cars at all. Also, he promotes fun RWD cars more so than Subarus. Calls them unreliable haha.

While they're not "unreliable," per se, I do think it is similar to owning an Alfa Romeo. There's a "knack" you have to develop with the car if you're going to own multiple Subarus and not simply be rich and take them to the shop whenever something goes wrong. It's not as...extensive... as the one you'd need to develop to own an Alfa, but similar.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

MrZig posted:

Do you have any kind of blog/build page of your car? I'd like to see it all condensed. As far as advice - I'll probably ask questions here and there. I have a few rally buddies in town that have been doing it for years so I have a lot of knowledge to draw on. Plus my crew has serviced for a rally team before and they know their Subarus.

Yes, I have a build thread on here + fb.com/sifmotorsports

Just smash the space bar until you see blue car related stuff, although my legacy work is kinda relevant because it deals with rust, bad ej25s, and broken dreams.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
So I bought this thing

I'd like to put am more aggressive tire on it for back road/dirt road/two track shenanigans, and ideally to just have to worry about one set of tires on the car all year round. I was hoping for something like an All Terrain T/A. I'm not worried about pretty rims or road noise, just tires rubbing. I don't want to get hornswoggled by some douche at a tire shop, so I put it to you Subaru gentle persons, how do I address this problem?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dirty Impreza seems to love the General Grabber AT2, so that might be an option.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

the 225/60-17 size is loving killing me. That's why I am wondering about rims.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Yep, AT2s and/or a snow tire. Can you downsize rim to 16?

Did you get rid of the STi?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

When I die, I plan to be fired into the sun in my STi.

I thought about getting a smaller rim and hopefully filling the gap with sweet sweet all terrain rubber, lol they are going to look like worse balloons than I have on there now. I'll start looking at the 16s.

I am a little worried about the car becoming terribly wobbly, or messing up the speedo readings.

edit: Tire Rack only wants to sell me 17s or 18s.

edit Mk II: Ok, I am going to have to get out and pound the pavement on this one, I will put this very helpful information to good use. Thanks guys!

burtonos fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 5, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

burtonos posted:

edit: Tire Rack only wants to sell me 17s or 18s.

Try building a winter tire package, more often than not they will give a downsize open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Or just shop by size. You can get an older set of oe 16" alloys for dirt cheap on nasioc.