Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guess I'll shill for one of my old favorites, Hana Yori Dango. It's sooooo by the numbers 90's flowery sparkley shoujo, complete with an abusive bad boy love interest that the main character has keep under control and enough rich kid bullying stereotypes to make your head spin. Characterization was pretty good and given that it got some 36 volumes there were plenty of arcs and twists. I think it'd be worth a look if you want a quintessentially old (but not too old) shoujo story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Seconding Sailor Moon. The art style is interesting and fun and there's a lot of emphasis on long, flowing hair. Also, how can you not have a Shojo thread without Sailor Moon. :colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:doh: Chihayafuru should also definitely be in any new OP too.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Well I'm not so sure, because chihayafuru can fill it's own thread. This is for the ones that can't merit their own thread.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

While that's very true, I think the OP is for a list of great things to check out in shoujo/josei/romance in general when people come looking for suggestions.

Vvvvv
Yay new Bonouji :neckbeard:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 4, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yaaaayyyyy. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bonnouji/Bonnouji-027?id=160421

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
What about Midnight Secretary? I thought that was pretty good.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
Midnight Secretary is goofy as hell, I'm not sure I'd call it 'good romance', but it is kind of a hilarious manga-take on woman-swooning-for-dark-brooding-vampire.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's maybe the worst manga I've ever read, and I've read some really bad manga.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Ok, I've started compiling (and reading a few I didn't know). I'll be typing it up tomorrow after work, so there's still room for suggestions if you have one.

Edit: Priority is going to titles that have been mentioned by more then one person.

Further Edit: Title Mentions are as follows, including my own.
Aoi Hana x2
Banana Fish
Bitter Virgin
Bonnouji x3
Cross Manage
Fruit's Basket
Fushigi Yuugi
Gokinjo Monogatari
Gokusen
Hana Yori Dango
The Heart of Thomas
High School Debut
Honey & Clover
Kare Kano
Kimi ni Todoke x2
Kodomo no Omocha x2
Kuragehime/Jellyfish Princess x2
Lovely Complex x2
NANA
Nodame Cantabile
Notes from the Garden of Lilies
Octave x2
Oh! My Goddess
Ooku
Ouran Host Club
Ore Monogatari
Oresama Teacher
Paradise Kiss x2
Rose of Versailles x2
Sailor Moon x2
Taiyou no Ie x2
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Wandering Son x2
Yamada's First Time

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 4, 2013

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
I'll put in another vote for Oresama Teacher, seeing as it's the only shoujo I follow regularly. Delinquent comedy, not just for shonen anymore!

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I'll put in a vote for Yamada's First Time.

Cute and funny.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The coffins are back. :3:

Disposable Intern
Aug 26, 2008
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun for the bump-up. It's ending soon but it's been a fun ride.

Disposable Intern fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 4, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Fruits Basket certainly deserves a mention, and Bonnouji is just fantastically chill, but I'd definitely put Taiyou no Ie in any new OP. It's definitely my favorite currently-running shoujo manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sahara Mizu's My Girl was also really good, and ended really strong. I'd definitely suggest it for an OP spot.

It's essentially a slightly more melancholy Usagi Drop that doesn't poo poo the bed at the end.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Here's what I think about a few of those mentioned:

Classics:
Banana Fish - Use the top right panel here with the words SHOJO MANGA (spoiler for about halfway through):http://i.imgur.com/rkxL2td.jpg
Hana Yori Dango - Definitely a classic, but the early art is not very good and it is very very tropey (although it probably created half of them). This is coming from someone who mail ordered the anime fansubs on VHS and half the manga in Japanese before learning the language, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to a newcomer nowadays.
Rose of Versailles - For whatever reason I still have not read or watched this, but it's basically the definition of "classic shojo"
A Drunken Dream - Hasn't been mentioned yet, but I read this short story collection by Hagio Moto recently and really enjoyed some of the stories in it. Definitely atypical shojo, they tend to be more about family and belonging than romance, and the English release is just beautiful.

Ongoing:
Kimi ni Todoke - probably the most well-known ongoing series
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - I'm pretty far behind on this but I remember it being really entertaining
Wandering Son - the English language release is beautifully done.
Kuragehime/Jellyfish Princess - hilarious and manages to avoid a lot of the romance tropes that bug me about josei manga

Others that I like:
Honey & Clover - I never got over just how young Hagu looks, but it's a solid josei series
Kodomo no Omocha - I think the first plot line was amazingly well done in the anime, but there is plenty of filler later on.
Lovely Complex - has an excellent anime adaptation
Ouran Host Club - same here
Nodame Cantabile - has both an anime and live action adaptations. Not too focused on the romance aspect.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I thought it had been a while since there was a new Kimi ni Todoke chapter, and I was right because I completely missed Chapter 77 coming out a couple weeks ago.

:iia: She's been on a roll lately with these chapters, they're full of all the good things that made me love the series in the first place.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Double posting with a cool chapter of Honey and Honey where the author and her girlfriend participate in the Tokyo Pride parade.
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/honey_honey_ch28#1

coathat
May 21, 2007

Y'all still alive? Because some good shits been coming out lately.

Pochamani continues being excellent with a chapter mostly focused on PDA. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Pochamani/6?id=161109

The new volume of Kuragehime has been pretty fashion focused so far but Hanamori can still steal a scene like no other. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kuragehime/Vol-011-Ch-056--Toxic-Jellyfish-Princess?id=161102

And last but not least some older shirt stories by Bonnouji's Aki Eda. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Itou-san

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

a kitten posted:

Double posting with a cool chapter of Honey and Honey where the author and her girlfriend participate in the Tokyo Pride parade.
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/honey_honey_ch28#1

Thanks a lot for posting this! I'd never heard of this manga before and I'm really surprised I've never seen it come up in any discussions of LGBT manga. It was really good.

I looked up the author to see what she was doing now and saw that her profile says she's dating a transgendered (FTM) person, so now I'm really curious to know if she's dating the same person as she was in the manga or if they broke up.

EDIT: Also, here's another chapter of Kuragehime.

jellycat fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 20, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

jellycat posted:

I looked up the author to see what she was doing now and saw that her profile says she's dating a transgendered (FTM) person, so now I'm really curious to know if she's dating the same person as she was in the manga or if they broke up.

I can't for the life of me remember where I heard, but I think it's a different person.

I have no idea why batoto doesn't notify me about new chapters of Kimi ni Todoke like it does for everything else on my list but:
Kimi ni Todoke: 78 came out a few days ago.

Ayane and Kent chapter. :3: Also, when the hell did Pin morph into such a cool dude? He's still the same, and yet he's changed enough that he's no longer just a goof and is, in fact, pretty insightful; not a bad little bit of writing.

Kids on the Slope Official Fan-Book showed up too. It even has some omake behind the scenes information about the animated version.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 20, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last few Kimi ni Todoke chapters have been pretty great. I guess they're trying to imply that Sawako will in fact go to a university to become a teacher? And that's why at the she's thinking they will have to separate? Because otherwise if she gets a job locally, I don't see what the problem would be.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Has anyone seen the True Tears anime? It was actually pretty good overall, which is a lot better than I expected.

Edit: Well.. pretty good might be too much. It was alright..

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought it was meh, but he ended up with the love interest that I found most boring so that colors my opinion a bit.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blhue posted:

I thought it was meh, but he ended up with the love interest that I found most boring so that colors my opinion a bit.
I thought it was more interesting that they went with the one they did; it would be more typical to go with the other. I enjoyed the series overall.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
I watched some True Tears after seeing this. The anime itself was a lot slower and less riveting than that, but it was a decent bittersweet small-town coming-of-age story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only good parts of true tears are the eufonius OP and the animation.

Does anyone remember when Bandai Visual was going to sell it and I think Shigofumi state-side? They were literally planning on doing the Japanese 2-episode-per-disc, $40+ approach. Funniest god drat thing. I can't remember if they actually followed through before BV folded though.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Apparently they cancelled it, can't imagine why.

Yeah, I liked it at the time but in retrospect it was pretty slow-paced.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

The only good parts of true tears are the eufonius OP and the animation.

Does anyone remember when Bandai Visual was going to sell it and I think Shigofumi state-side? They were literally planning on doing the Japanese 2-episode-per-disc, $40+ approach. Funniest god drat thing. I can't remember if they actually followed through before BV folded though.

They cancelled it, but both shows were eventually released through Bandai Entertainment in sub-only sets. (I THINK it was True Tears) There was also some fun where the licensor had apparently double licensed it where Sentai Filmworks and Bandai had DVD rights, once it was pointed out to Sentai that quickly changed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 40

I remember this series was wrapping up, but I guess we're actually a few chapters behind because that was the end of volume 10? Meaning the serialized chapters are well ahead, if not finished.

coathat
May 21, 2007

We're 2 volumes behind. The last one does out in June I think and it's going to have an OVA with it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
These latest Kuragehime chapters have been pretty great. I like that there's a big bad now, and chapter 59's ending is quite something else. Wonder what'll happen with that!

"This is a gathering for losers, after all." :smug:

That should be the subtitle for ADTRW.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 26, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

I can't wat for the next volume to come out. I really want to see ring shopping in Italy!

A great chapter of Taiyou no Ie just came out. It's pretty crazy how much she packs into every chapter. So good. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-005-Ch-019--Together-Alone-at-Last?id=162324

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Sasameki Koto has finally been fully scanlated, here being the last chapter: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/sasameki_koto_ch53

It's so good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cityinthesea posted:

Sasameki Koto has finally been fully scanlated, here being the last chapter: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/sasameki_koto_ch53

It's so good.

Oh hey, someone besides me is in fact reading that.

What a great ending, I read a different translation earlier so I knew how it turned out, and yet I found myself wobbling between :3: and :qq: all over again.

The series as a whole kind of tends to wander, and (especially early on) can't always seem to decide if it wants to be a full on farcical comedy or a sweet romance, but overall it's a really strong story and the ending really nails it making it one of my favorites.
I'm sure it's a pipe dream, but here's to hoping for an official release some day.

edit:
I had not however, seen the omake pages. :lol: Some of them are great! And I just realised that my memory isn't actually faulty and there are several pages that weren't in the magazine version.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 27, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Had to reread it since I stopped following along with scanlations back when they slowed down around chapter 37, and I'd say it makes for a much better work when you can read it straight through, since the meandering and angst isn't nearly as frustrating when you're not waiting months between every chapter (perhaps the same can be said of all romance!). I certainly enjoyed it a lot, and also Ikeda Takashi draws some of the most expressive crying faces I've seen.

I was honestly pretty surprised that there wasn't more drama regarding their future, since that seems to be almost mandatory in yuri manga, and it's not like the work is lacking in typical drama. Not that I'm complaining.

Also I'm surprised and saddened that Takashi apparently hasn't done any other romance manga, and equally sad yet unsurprised that none of her other works are scanlated at all.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Takashi is a guy, actually, as far as I know; pretty sure he's supposed to be Ushio's manga writing brother (considering he writes Yuri).

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
That makes sense, I've just gotten in the habit of associating the name Ikeda with women since pretty much every Japanese person with the name that I've heard of is female, even though it's a surname.

E: Also, does anyone have recommendation for Shoujo/Josei manga that doesn't heavily feature romance? It hit me that pretty much every manga I've read in those categories has a ton of romance, even when it's not the focus of the work (well I guess Hourou Musuko doesn't have that much), so I'd be interested in checking out something with little/no romance.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Check out Oresama Teacher, 7seeds, Gokusen, or Banana Fish they're all good.