Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neo Helbeast posted:

As I understand it additional seasons and shows will be added in the coming months.

Awwww, man, I was hoping to pick up where I left off (at the end of Season 2 as well). I wonder why they're staggering the releases of the seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Oh man there is some good new stuff. It's almost like Netflix knows when I'm about to unsubscribe.

The additions of Aqua Teen Hunger Force and The Venture Bros. make me glad I avoided seeing them until now.

I was surprised to hear that VB "starts slow" because I really liked the first episode. I guess that means it only gets better.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Apologies if this is a repeat but Lars and the Real Girl is goon/internet distilled into moving picture format. But in a good way, not like that lovely reddit movie.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I love horror movies, but it can be pretty tedious to wade through all the crap to find good ones. That's why I'm mentioning The Shrine. It's not the best ever or anything, but it is a solid movie that I found very satisfying.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm watching Erasing Hate right now. I had no idea that it hurt a lot more to get tattoos removed than to get them put on. 30+ shots into the face and then the laser starts in. Think I'm gonna stay tat free...and nazi free.

Gah...he looks like he's had the poo poo beat out of him after one of those treatments.

Reign Of Pain has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Apr 2, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I watched some Doc Martin today because Netflix has been sticking Martin Clune's kinda-weird-looking face in my recommendations for months now, and I might as well get it over with...

And you know, it was actually pretty entertaining. Something about the townspeople reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks.

(Which is also on Netflix, so watch that poo poo too, if you haven't already. If you've already seen it, watch it again).

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

fishtobaskets posted:

I love horror movies, but it can be pretty tedious to wade through all the crap to find good ones. That's why I'm mentioning The Shrine. It's not the best ever or anything, but it is a solid movie that I found very satisfying.

Also going from horror films I'd suggest V/H/S. It's probably my favorite horror film of last year and it's one of the best found footage films ever made.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also going from horror films I'd suggest V/H/S. It's probably my favorite horror film of last year and it's one of the best found footage films ever made.

Which says a lot for the genre seeing as V/H/S is generally terrible.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just watched V/H/S too. Two things about that:
1. I enjoyed V/H/S but I thought it didn't hold a candle to Monsters as far as hand-held/found footage movies go. Not sure if that's still available on Netflix instant but it's a great movie. I highly recommend it.
2. The Shrine made a much bigger impression on me. I'm actually really curious what you guys think about it. I thought it felt like a hidden gem, which is why I posted it.

Oldstench posted:

Which says a lot for the genre seeing as V/H/S is generally terrible.

This seems rude, dude.

fishtobaskets has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Apr 3, 2013

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

fishtobaskets posted:

This seems rude, dude.

The truth hurts, man.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

AltoidsAddict posted:

The truth hurts, man.

V/H/S is fantastic though.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched some Doc Martin today because Netflix has been sticking Martin Clune's kinda-weird-looking face in my recommendations for months now, and I might as well get it over with...

And you know, it was actually pretty entertaining. Something about the townspeople reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks.

(Which is also on Netflix, so watch that poo poo too, if you haven't already. If you've already seen it, watch it again).

Yeah Doc Martin is hella cute. It's kind of like House only the protagonist isn't mean, just kind of :spergin:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

fishtobaskets posted:

I just watched V/H/S too. Two things about that:
1. I enjoyed V/H/S but I thought it didn't hold a candle to Monsters as far as hand-held/found footage movies go. Not sure if that's still available on Netflix instant but it's a great movie. I highly recommend it.
2. The Shrine made a much bigger impression on me. I'm actually really curious what you guys think about it. I thought it felt like a hidden gem, which is why I posted it.

This seems rude, dude.

My Shrinepinion:

Good makeup and middling special effects (especially the video game draw-distance fog), acting ranged from flat to just shy of overdoing it (especially in the female leads, but with uneven acting I normally blame the director.

I actually really liked not have subtitles for all the Polish bits, since it throws you into the same confusion as the protagonists. I also liked the statue save the kinda lame beating heart. The PG shower scene at the beginning felt tacked on, like the director had a checklist of horror tropes he had to get through. I also wish they had a more organic reason for the intern to wander into the fog (like she sees or hears something). I know they were arguing about investigating it, but she also just kind of wanders off without a look back.

A few things I thought would come up again but didn't (all kinda spoilery):

The picture of the statue in the girl's camera. Really thought there'd be a post-credits scene of Marcus collecting her luggage (with tags from a different European airport on it) a few months later, opening it up and going through the camera pictures with sad nostalgia before getting digitally possessed.
The little girl, who I thought also was all demoned up and manipulating them.
The scratch on the interns face, which I assume is related to a scene that was cut.
Why they had to cut the tendons of the hands and feet if the person was already tied down and the purpose wasn't torture.

I think my favorite part was retroactively realizing why the two guys were reluctant to kill Marcus, since he was kind of an innocent bystander from their point of view. I had already guessed at the twist, but it was still a nice, realistic way for him to overpower them and escape.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Totally TWISTED posted:

Apologies if this is a repeat but Lars and the Real Girl is goon/internet distilled into moving picture format. But in a good way, not like that lovely reddit movie.

This is really a very good film, and for all the oddness of the premise, rather sweet as well.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.

Totally just bought a juicer.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Spuckuk posted:

This is really a very good film, and for all the oddness of the premise, rather sweet as well.

Agreed. I was surprised at how neat it ended up being, having just put it to have something to laugh at. Don't judge a book by its lifelike silicone covering, I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

neonnoodle posted:

Yeah Doc Martin is hella cute. It's kind of like House only the protagonist isn't mean, just kind of :spergin:

Yeah, and having it be in a small town means that the patient(s) of the week can be actual characters with some development and all that. Definitely quality as hell.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, and having it be in a small town means that the patient(s) of the week can be actual characters with some development and all that. Definitely quality as hell.

Just a head's up if anyone is interested in Doc Martin, there are 2 made-for-tv movies that that came before the TV series that are also on Netflix, but dont watch these cause you will get really confused if you watch the series afterwards. The character went through a complete personality overhaul by the creator and is nothing like the movie versions. Just watch the series and not the movies (the series is pretty great though you should watch it).

Also Bully, the documentary, is now available. Its far from perfect, but its got a lot of emotion and its insanely amazing that they managed to get some of the shots they did. I would recommend watching, although its hard to watch at times and your ire might skyrocket at some of the victim-blaming.

Logan 5 has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Apr 4, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I watched Side by Side yesterday. Documentary about the start, rise and current standing of digital movies vs photochemical film. Was fun to watch. It's narrated by Keanu Reeves he and interviews many directors, cinematographers, digital editors, etc.
The documentary itself feels pretty neutral. They let everyone get their say from "Digital sucks! Reel film forever!" to "Digital is the future!" and "who gives a poo poo?"
The best part, by far, is seeing how Keanu's hair changes throughout the movie. Will he have a beard? Long hair? Short hair? You'd think they shot this over a decade.

Ghost Party
Feb 9, 2013
Just watched Fat Kid Rules the World last night. It wasn't spectacular and the ending was little ridiculous but it was pretty decent and a good waste of time. Contains a disturbing lack of rockin' out, though.

V/H/S was terrible and nobody should watch this ever.

American Astronaut is brilliant and one of my favorite movies so everybody should watch this! It's a sci-fi western, I mean come on. And it has a great soundtrack by the Billy Nayer Show!

Grave Encounters is another found footage film that takes place in an asylum and even though it's pretty awful in a few ways, I really liked it. Just don't watch any of the sequels.

Dogtooth is a weird one. The less you know the better. Also The Baby is very similar and also on Netflix if you like bizarre dysfunctional family films.

Together is a Swedish film about a woman and her child going to live in a a weird hippie commune in the 70's. Great soundtrack and pretty hilarious.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ghost Party posted:

V/H/S was terrible and nobody should watch this ever.

Yeah. It's funny because this movie is the source of the greatest polarization in the horror megathread. Like 90 percent of the thread unaccountably find it to be the greatest film ever. The rest are like me and you and find it to be dreadful (not in the good horror way). The proponents feel strongly to the point that many will take the position that people like me who dislike it just don't "get" horror as a genre at all, despite the fact that it's practically my favorite genre for around four decades with many favorites. I just don't find V/H/S to be a particularly good representative for the horror OR found footage genres.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

$0.01: The problem with the film is that it was mostly obvious, and the story framing it all was the absolute worst of them all. Like, I can't believe it got past a pitch.

$0.02: There were three tales that were both decent and effective, only one actually really good, but they were placed in a terrible, random order (but for the last and best, the haunted house, which belonged there).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
It was also terrible for the fact that the scene done by Ti West was the worst of the bunch and he's the best director of the group. House Of The Devil shows that he understands horror but V/H/S cursed him I guess.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I found it entirely boring and predictable, and not just because I knew whomever watched the tape disappears afterward.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Tell me more about how The Venture Bros. falls apart after the third season. I've only seen the first three seasons (because the fourth isn't available anywhere) and I really like them. I was under the impression people liked the fourth season (which is seriously like 3 years old already).

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
People think Venture Bros falls apart after season 3? I'm of the opinion that it just gets better and better, and the season 4 finale is probably my all time favourite episode.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ogmius815 posted:

Tell me more about how The Venture Bros. falls apart after the third season. I've only seen the first three seasons (because the fourth isn't available anywhere) and I really like them. I was under the impression people liked the fourth season (which is seriously like 3 years old already).

I adore the 4th season myself. Great episodes by and large and I love how SPHINX gets developed out. I may be a bit biased as I love Shore Leave.

Also this happens in the fourth season and is one of my favorite Venture Bros clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtB_jvznaNM

"Mournful. She has mournful tits."

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

People think Venture Bros falls apart after season 3? I'm of the opinion that it just gets better and better, and the season 4 finale is probably my all time favourite episode.

I'm bitter about dropped arcs. :( And Brock's creepy loving eyes.

The only thing I was pretty cool with in the fourth season was Dean's potential characterization in the future. They're obviously trying to set something up for him, especially since Hank stole the entire series prior in comparison. Also, despite the obvious reasons for him being there, I really feel as if Dermott is shoehorned into the fourth season. He's just there being a twat, whether he's relevant to the plot or not.

I wouldn't ever drop VB for the how the fourth season panned out, but it's not NEARLY as strong as the third was. I honestly don't think the show will ever get as good as ORB or The Invisible Hand of Fate again. That was plot. The season after just comes so one-offy for the sake of jokes, especially with the Captain Sunshine stuff. Although I will admit that Handsome Ransom is the funniest VB episode by far. I'll still watch season five, but not with the excitement I had for the premiere of the fourth.

Also, rewatching the series, I can't believe how much of J.G. Thirlwell's Foetus work they shoved in the first couple of episodes. If you've never heard of J.G. Thirlwell before this show, you're going to love him by the time you're done noticing VB's score. :allears:

MNSNTZR has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Apr 5, 2013

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Season 4 also has the episode Handsome Ransom, which is absolutely hilarious. Season 4 does kind of have a different feel to it because of some new storylines and character development, but it's still great.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Season 4 is the first season with a different status quo, I think, and people fear change.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I did hear that the ORB plot development got totally negated, which is lovely, but meh. I guess we should stop de-railing now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I can recommend what NOT to watch on Netflix, The Hunger Games just got put up and it's really, really goddamn bad. Which means it's head and shoulders above the book, but still.

Just watch Battle Royale instead, it's the same plot but done far, far better.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched Battle Royale first, and liked it. I watched Hunger Games last night and thought it was okay as well. That is my polarizing opinion.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the series, either, but I saw "Hunger Games" and didn't think it was particularly bad, either. Not "really, really goddamn bad" at least.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I spent the whole film going "... Stanley Tucci?".

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

poo poo yeah, Stanley Tucci. Eats that role up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

I spent the whole film going "... Stanley Tucci?".

Holy crap, I had no idea it was him. The whole time I knew it was some actor I knew from somewhere, but didn't realize it was him. I blame the fact he had hair. He was pretty good in it, too, especially compared to the flat performances surrounding him.

Also, some of my distaste for the movie could be from how heavily hyped the book and movie were by pretty much everyone I know. I don't know why but that always turns a movie I normally wouldn't like into one I totally despise.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Say what you will about Hunger Games but Donald Sutherland portrayal of a guy cashing a pay check is flawless.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Her Master's Voice is a thought-provoking, bizarre and emotionally affecting documentary about ventriloquism, of all things. I thought it was going to be a serious trigger for secondhand embarrassment but it was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Just watched Deadfall pretty good thriller, worth a watch

• Locked thread