Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Round as gently caress supremacy club represent but that is a nice pointy guitar if it's your thing. Personally, I like to snicker and laugh at Steve Vai whenever I get the opportunity, so I'm probably not the guy who you want to listen to, but whether that's a scratch or a really bad neck joint, it sounds like you want to be talking to their customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

It's not a joint, it's from the clearcoat ending and turning into oil or satin, I forget what they do on these.

Ah. That's weird. Every guitar I have has the same finish from the neck through the back of the headstock.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Picked up my new Chapman Stick today!

I live right next to where they're made so I went to pick it up in person. Met Emmett Chapman, which was pretty neat!

It's my first time playing one so I'm really bad with it, but it's an awesome instrument. Lots of fun to play.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

It's not a joint, it's from the clearcoat ending and turning into oil or satin, I forget what they do on these.
This man is correct. It's not a joint or a scratch. It's just a build-up of something that I rubbed off with my thumbnail and now it is gone.

I spent all night working on this guy (he needed a spotty connection fixed and a cleaning/re-stringing) because he was in a real JEM case and I wanted to put this new JEM in it; so I will be finishing the JEM70V work tomorrow night. The USA Custom Exotic Wood is now in the Indonesian case and the Indonesian JEM is going into the real deal pink-lined old-school JEM case.

And I get why people like to smirk and laugh at Vai, I do it to; but goddamn I love his guitars and what he did for the Strat-style guitar in general. He's a hero in that regard.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, I always thought what was holding the strat back was the lack of a stupid hole in the body that you can use as a super convenient handle :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

And a neck made for baby hands :colbert: :cheeky:

Gordon Cole posted:

Picked up my new Chapman Stick today!

I live right next to where they're made so I went to pick it up in person. Met Emmett Chapman, which was pretty neat!

It's my first time playing one so I'm really bad with it, but it's an awesome instrument. Lots of fun to play.

Nice! I feel like my failed experiment with 8 string guitars taught me that I was looking for a chapman stick like instrument. I'm glad to hear you're liking it. They look so fun but i'm not sure I could manage myself well enough to learn one competently along with keeping up my guitar/bass skill. Maybe someday.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nrr posted:

Yeah, I always thought what was holding the strat back was the lack of a stupid hole in the body that you can use as a super convenient handle :v:

He's also indirectly responsible for nu-metal by getting Ibanez to make the first mass-produced 7-string.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
So that makes it two disasters.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Xabi posted:

So that makes it two disasters.

He also gave Devin Townsend his big break, so depending on your feelings that's 3 for 3 in the disaster department.:v:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I blame Frank Zappa. If Zappa hadn't given him his start, guitars would be at least 50% less pointy than they are today.

Edit: We'd also have at least 20% less bad photoshops

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 4, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Bought this old Epiphone LP a couple weeks ago. It needs a huge stack of repairs (nut's broke on the big-E, selector switch worn out, knobs scratchy, stripped strap peg hole) and eventually some upgrades.

It's just got some dings, a little peeling clear on one edge, etc. Gives it some character.

I was thinking some SD Antiquities in gold to complete the "worn" look of the guitar.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Zappa introduced both Vai and Belew to the world at large.

His biggest mistakes.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I sold my TR-707 and promptly bought a TR-606.

215 :smug:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 5, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'll grant you the handle is silly and certainly not beneficial, tonally, to the instrument. That said, if your were a seventeen year old when they showed up in every Vai interview for the Skyscraper album (which is a great album, haters :colbert: ), then you loved them instantly. So now I'm 41 and I still think they're cool.
The other features, specifically the tilt-back headstocks, upgraded and beefier tremolo, deeper lower cutaways and two octave necks, super-flat fretboards with huge frets, the five-way H/S/H wiring, and other nice little touches are awesome and I won't hear a bad word about them. Also, the JEM neck is thicker than the Wizards so it doesn't feel so much like a ruler. I have one Wizard neck on my RG770DX and I adapt to it instantly after playing my other instruments, and I don't have baby hands.

As for seven strings, they aren't my thing. They seem to be quite popular around... everywhere, and I see no problem with extending the range of the guitar to play heavier low notes (then again, my favorite band of all time is King's X, and they pretty much pioneered the whole low-tuning thing without seven-string guitars). The prevalence of eight-strings is a mystery to me (as is nu-metal, which you can't actually blame on Steve), but it's another sign that Steve was a visionary whether you like him or don't.

You scamps.

Let's at least agree that we all love King's X. Up to one record or another (for me the last awesome album is Ear Candy and it's all downhill from there.)

VVVV Thanks for saying that, I wasn't sure if the Belew comment was sarcastic or ironic or earnest, but I love the guy.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 4, 2013

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Zappa introduced both Vai and Belew to the world at large.

His biggest mistakes.

Adrian Belew owns. And is that Zappa's fault or Robert Fripp's fault?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

The other features, specifically the tilt-back headstocks, upgraded and beefier tremolo, deeper lower cutaways and two octave necks, super-flat fretboards with huge frets, the five-way H/S/H wiring, and other nice little touches are awesome and I won't hear a bad word about them.

All of which are thanks to Randy Rhoads and Grover Jackson. Except the two octave neck; that was Dave Mustaine's doing.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Dr. Faustus posted:

(then again, my favorite band of all time is King's X, and they pretty much pioneered the whole low-tuning thing without seven-string guitars).

I do like King's X. That being said...
Well, there's this guy, name of Tony Iommi, who cut off his fingertips and detuned so he could still play. Pretty sure he kind of predates King's X. Just a little bit.
So... I figure I should post it, it's someone's newest instrument. If fictional.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/
We've all been there. But...
He sold his tele. I'm not going to argue about the bank account, but he sold his tele. BAD DECISION. You can sell anything else, but never ever sell that tele. It's your backstop. It's the guitar that won't break and will always serve you. Long as you have it, you can still make sounds.

Speaking of weirdo bass guitars, anyone know anything about the fuzz circuit in a Fender Power Bottom?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

watt par posted:

All of which are thanks to Randy Rhoads and Grover Jackson. Except the two octave neck; that was Dave Mustaine's doing.
And who brought all those things, plus more good things, together into the awesome package that is the JEM/RG series?

Sorry, I'm not here to measure dicks. I just love my Ibanezes. Pics coming soon of the new JEM in a real JEM case with the Crunch Lab installed.

Precious.

quote:

Well, there's this guy, name of Tony Iommi, who cut off his fingertips and detuned so he could still play. Pretty sure he kind of predates King's X. Just a little bit.

Have you ever heard King's X eponymous album from 1992? Or Dogman? I wouldn't compare that level of detuning to anything Iommi ever did. That's just me. Opinions, etc.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 5, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

Well there was this other guy named Leo Fender who made this instrument called the Bass VI... though if you wanna get nitpicky Danelectro did it first.

But yeah this is a silly discussion.

e: although it's a little weird Ibanez held out for so long on copying the Dinky/Soloist/pointier superstrat shape, considering the Destroyer, X series, etc. I guess it was a function of them primarily marketing to jazz fusion guys still. IIRC Dave Murray was the first metal endorsee they had back in '86.

Here's a neat collection of vintage Ibanez catalogs:

http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/

It's sad watching Alan Holdsworth and George Benson slowly being pushed to the back of the catalog as the 80s roll on.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 5, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
There's something about picking up an 8 for the first time, plugging it in to a high-gain amp, turning it up kind of loud, and whomping on that low string that a tele will never produce.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Unless the 8 is also a Tele. I've seen them, they're pretty sweet, but always custom. Rondo has some 7 string teles though and man they're cool. I bet some country guys would really dig them. You can combine your lovely pedal steel licks and baritone acoustic songs into one package.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I don't play guitar, but I've got to admit they're some of the sexiest bits of music gear ever made.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

watt par posted:

Well there was this other guy named Leo Fender who made this instrument called the Bass VI... though if you wanna get nitpicky Danelectro did it first.

But yeah this is a silly discussion.

e: although it's a little weird Ibanez held out for so long on copying the Dinky/Soloist/pointier superstrat shape, considering the Destroyer, X series, etc. I guess it was a function of them primarily marketing to jazz fusion guys still. IIRC Dave Murray was the first metal endorsee they had back in '86.

Here's a neat collection of vintage Ibanez catalogs:

http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/

It's sad watching Alan Holdsworth and George Benson slowly being pushed to the back of the catalog as the 80s roll on.

It's alright, he was always way cooler with his pink strat and steinbergers. And Carvins now I guess

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Been eyeing this beauty for a while, and decided to bite the bullet and get it over with tonight:

God, I can't wait. Curvy guitars 4-ever.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 5, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

holy poo poo that's sick

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Love the colour. It's reminded me to post my recently completed parts build.

"Seafoam Green" Mighty Mite body which looks more like Surf Green to me.
Fender Classic series 60's Jazz neck.
All Fender hardware including the vintage style reverse tuners.
Fender custom shop pickups.
62 style wiring with the resistor to keep the tone controls independent.
Strung with TI jazz flats.

It really turned out better than I could have expected with the exception of the tuners which manage to be both stiff and sloppy. I might change them up for a set of Gotohs down the track but these will do for now.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Been eyeing this beauty for a while...

30" scale baritones are the bestest.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I just don't gel with lower register guitars for some reason. I have a 7 string ibanez and an LTD baritone, both are great, well built instruments but they just don't speak to me, or rather I can't speak through them. Both just sit in the rack basically unused, I took the baritone to band practice a few weeks back and just couldn't find the creative spark to jam effectively, just couldn't get into a groove. I was considering selling it but I decided to put thinner strings on it and tune it up to Eb and you know what it now just works. The extended scale length (27") gives the notes a little more clarity and bite, and being back up to a familiar tuning lets me create more freely, now it's taking a place at the top of my guitar hierarchy. D must be as low as I need to go.

I've recently had to learn to sing so I could be guitarist and vocalist in a band, I got over the initial voice and hands co-ordination hurdle pretty quickly but then embarked on the long arduous journey of making my voice nice to listen to. As I am irrationally self conscious about my singing and don't want anyone else to hear me until I am comfortable with it, I built this:

so I can sing and yell and scream and rap all I want without anyone hearing me. The freedom I have inside the booth is massively liberating, and I'm making solid ground into my singing journey.
The booth walls are built out of three layers of MDF (1x18mm, 2x12mm), separated by 45mm beams with acoustic batts filling the cavity, and a viseoelastic sheeting between the two inner sheets. Covering the entire inside of the booth is 50mm pyramid acoustic foam with a padded, carpeted floor. I have four XLR and four 6.35mm stereo ports to cover all the mics, guitars and headphones I need, as well as two powerpoints. There are two fans at the very top that run through snaked ducting in the ceiling for air (but it still gets pretty warm in the summer months) and the LED lights change colour with a remote control so I can instantly change the mood of the room by bathing it in assorted primary colours or mixtures. The window is two panes of 12mm laminated glass with a 45mm airgap. The whole unit weighs roughly 600kg and it is so drat quiet inside it's incredible. I never feel happier than when I am in this booth with a guitar strapped on and singing until my throat hurts.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 5, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

HollisBrown posted:

Adrian Belew owns. And is that Zappa's fault or Robert Fripp's fault?

I recognize he's an insanely talented musician.

I just loving despise everything about him and Robert Fripp is God. :P

quote:

Have you ever heard King's X eponymous album from 1992? Or Dogman? I wouldn't compare that level of detuning to anything Iommi ever did. That's just me. Opinions, etc.

What is Dog Man tuned to? Love that album.

Actually I love King's X. Did you know the first four albums Ty Tabor used a strat with active single coils?

Please get back to us on the Agile Harm! I've always eyed them and if you're very impressed I might see about finally grabbing one with P90s.

ed

Rondo is a little sparse this month, but cool. Agile branded strats.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 5, 2013

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Been eyeing this beauty for a while, and decided to bite the bullet and get it over with tonight:

Let me know what you think of that. I want to add a cheap 30" sixer to my collection and I've been most tempted by the Harm. If it has a traditional semi-hollow sound and the construction is okay I'll have to get one.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I'll definitely post up some impressions once I've spent some quality time with it. Unfortunately, that won't be until after the 20th, because I'll be out of town.

I've been pretty interested in trying out a baritone for some time now, and when I saw that Harm, I had to keep checking on it every few days to make sure it hadn't sold. I was torn between the green and the natural finish, but that green just looks so great with the cream binding and the silver hardware and those pickups. Couldn't resist. I have one other Agile that is pretty fantastic, so I expect good things.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I just loving despise everything about him and Robert Fripp is God. :P

Awww man how can you hate on Adrian? He's such a nice dude!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I've been trying to hold off posting this until it shows up, but it's coming Monday and my excitement's got the best of me:

Carvin DC800

It was one of the in-stock guitars and since it's my first Carvin I wanted the cheapest available - that way if something is wrong or I don't like it I'm not gonna be out quite as much. The color is blinding and headache inducing and definitely not something I would've chosen for a custom, but it's my guitar and I'll learn to like it!

The guitar has decent specs too:
  • Alder Body
  • 1 Piece Tung-oiled 27" Scale Maple Neck-Through
  • 24 Fret Ebony Fretboard with White MoP Diamond Inlays
  • Med Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets
  • Vintage Yellow Metallic Finish
  • Carvin A80 Active Pickups
  • Chrome Hardware
  • Sperzel Locking Tuners
  • 8.6lbs Actual Weight

E: This was a birthday present to myself, thanks to a larger than expected tax return. I was hoping it would show up today, my bday, but apparently guitars take a long time to reach the East Coast from Cali

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 5, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What is Dog Man tuned to? Love that album.

Actually I love King's X. Did you know the first four albums Ty Tabor used a strat with active single coils?
Yeah, I am a huge King's X geek. Dogman is all over the place, tuning-wise. It has tunes with the lowest strings tuned to B and C (or Bb and B if they're down a 1/2 step, can't remember), with other tunes in regular Drop D and even Standard. I give Brendan O'Brien the credit for the amazing tones on that album, as well as the simple, dry, in-your-face performances with almost no ambience. I brought it to my band and they could NOT get over the dryness (lack of reverbs) on that record for a long time. Then we did everything that way. It forces you to really nail the parts and not rely on reverbs to make you sound better.

Ty's first studio guitars were Fender Elites, which had notoriously noisy on-board preamps for its active single coils. They were discontinued and any tech will tell you the preamps are crap (if you are looking for them on eBay). Most don't work, and the ones that do are noisy.
Another interesting thing about the early (best, except for Dogman) KX records is that Ty played Lab Series amps (all solid state!) on them and they sound amazing. Dogman is mostly MESA/Boogies with a special Zion guitar with EMG pickups that are set specifically for that amazing tone, and Ear Candy is just your basic Marshall stack with some outbound gear.

Craziest story: Ty put an elite preamp in his signal chain, in a rackmount unit, powered off, to get his tone for awhile. I miss the old Ty who cared about his guitar tone. Then when Tape Head came out he switched to an ART modeling amp and he's had poo poo tone ever since.

BTW, pointy JEM fans, watch this space for the new pics of the JEM70VSFG, which is completed and playing beautifully. Not 100% sure about the electronics yet, but I usually can sort that stuff out given time.

Non-JEM fans, please disregard!

It's the Seafoam Green pages!

Wanna have some fun? Check this out: King's X Live at Woodstock 1994

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 5, 2013

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I got this a couple of weeks ago.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The Gasmask posted:

I've been trying to hold off posting this until it shows up, but it's coming Monday and my excitement's got the best of me:

Carvin DC800

Sick.

My buddy has this weird pink Japanese Fernandes strat with EMG single coils and a floyd (it may be a super old L'Arc En Ciel sig of some sort, he got while we were in Tokyo.) It sounds nothing like a "real" strat but it's so bright and cutting that it can work in a lot of places a regular strat won't.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

sensy v2.0 posted:

What is it? Those inlays are ill. Looks like the kind of thing I'd never want to pick up for fear of destroying it with fingerprints, too. ;)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

sensy v2.0 posted:

Hell yes kurvy krew

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How are you liking that evertune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

What is it? Those inlays are ill. Looks like the kind of thing I'd never want to pick up for fear of destroying it with fingerprints, too. ;)
It's a VGS Eruption. It's only my second guitar after having a Washburn BT-2 for 17 years I kinda felt I needed something new. Comparatively this guitar is loving amazing to play on.

muike posted:

How are you liking that evertune?
As I said, it's only my second guitar ever so I'm no expert or anything, but I like it. Easy as hell to set up and it works.