Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeah that's definitely not normal. If possible see if you can get in to see your doctor today. I'm sure you'll be fine until Monday, but personally I wouldn't want to sit around with a bleeding, possibly pierced cervix. :cry:

Getting in on Monday is already expedited by their standards. But since I'm doing field work for the three days after that, I really wanted to get in before I had to leave.

fork bomb posted:

Pick, that sounds super worrisome and I hope everything is okay. If your pain/blood flow increases, please go to the ER. If you stick it out till your appt on Monday, ask them how the hell this could have happened because I'm totally curious.
I'm thinking I may have seriously snagged the threads at one point. I don't tend to be good at noticing when I do things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I got a card that stated I had an Implanon and how to find it to put in my wallet. They even specifically told me to keep it on me at all times, for emergencies. It was really nice too, like a credit card, not some laminated paper bs. Did you guys not get one too? I wonder if I still have it somewhere..

I did get one of those, but I worry about becoming separated from my wallet/purse while unconscious.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I got a card that stated I had an Implanon and how to find it to put in my wallet. They even specifically told me to keep it on me at all times, for emergencies. It was really nice too, like a credit card, not some laminated paper bs. Did you guys not get one too? I wonder if I still have it somewhere..

I had that for my Paragard and I do have one for my Nexplanon. I had sliced up my finger though, so directing my husband to get my insurance card was all I had mind for. Also, I agree with fork bomb regarding getting separated from it. I keep considering something like RoadID to wear all the time (since I also have some drug allergies).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I have two cards for my Paragard with stuff like the lot number and "expiration date" on it, but they're just cardboard and probably wouldn't hold up well in a wallet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Turns out I snagged my threads. All has been remedied after the world's most awkward conversation :downs:.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Pick posted:

Turns out I snagged my threads. All has been remedied after the world's most awkward conversation :downs:.

What do you mean "snagged your threads?" Were they poking you and causing you to bleed?

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
So I have a bit of a catch 22. When I first started taking BC, my gyno put me on Yaz. I've never had a problem remembering to take pills so it seemed like a great option. And it did work great until I realized it was probably the reason I was suddenly acting like a dramatic, weeping lunatic. I finally gave it up when I couldn't stop myself from crying in front of the cashier at Taco Bueno because of a completely imagined slight earlier in the day. After a few months of just using condoms, I decided to try hormonal BC again. I think I spoke to a lady at my school's health clinic that time. I mentioned my symptoms (which she referred to as "mood swings" but which I recall as being closer to "constant, irrational hysteria") and she prescribed me some Mononessa. Looking at Google it looks like it's just another brand of Ortho. This worked out pretty well at first, as it's cheaper than Yaz and I didn't feel like I was losing control of my emotions all the time. Eventually though, I realized the Mononessa had completely smothered my sex drive. So at my next appointment, with my current gynocologist, I mentioned my problem and my history with Yaz and she said "Ok. We'll put you on a lower dose." So she put me on Loestrine 24 and mentioned that it was basically the lowest dose available. The Loestrine was nice because it gave me much lighter, shorter periods and the iron in the reminder pills was great for the exhaustion I usually experience during my period. However, it was at least three times as expensive and my sex drive remained non-exisistant.

I'm back on the Mononessa now, because if I'm going to be completely uninterested in sex, I might as well not go broke at the same time. The last time I brought this up (to my gynocologist's Physician's Assistant) she just said "I guess we could see if there's a lower dose." Seeing as that did basically nothing last time, I just told her to switch me back.

I want to keep trying new prescriptions until I find one that works, but I'm scared of the emotional roller coaster that might ensue. Implants and IUDs seem like great options for long term BC (my sister got Implanon and raved about it), but I don't want to commit to something for several years if there's a chance it will turn me in to an irrational mess. Also, copper IUDs seem like a bad idea as my periods are really heavy already and I don't want to get into gushing territory. I'd really like to keep using pills, since I'm used to taking medication every day and I've never had a problem with forgetting. Also, neither my boyfriend or I really enjoy using condoms.

From what I gathered while reading the thread, it seems like the high amount of estrogen in Yaz is what drove me crazy, and the switch to predominantly progesterone pills is what's compromised my sex drive. (Did I get that right? I feel like I might have confused something there.) So if I ask for something with a higher estrogen content, will I get a bit loopy again, but get my sex drive back? Is there any way to avoid the crazy over-emotional bullshit while getting my libido back, or am I stuck choosing between my sanity and my sex drive?

I know this is a conversation I need to have with my gynocologist, and I'll be scheduling an appointment to talk to her tomorrow, but I can never think of what I actually need to ask. Something about doctors offices messes with my brain and I can never adequately express my concerns. So I guess all I'm really asking for is advice on what to say when I go to my appointment. What are good terms to use to get my point across? Is there any specific prescription or method I should ask about? Has anyone else had this problem and found a good solution?

Sorry about the wall of text. The thought of switching again just makes me so nervous. I miss being horny, but I never want to cry in front of a stranger agian. :(

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

DaChurl posted:

Sorry about the wall of text. The thought of switching again just makes me so nervous. I miss being horny, but I never want to cry in front of a stranger agian. :(

Write everything down before you go. Seriously. Bullet point that stuff, go through the pros and cons of everything that you think might work for you and ask your gyno if you missed anything. Write down exactly what has been going on with you and when, and what things you liked/didn't like about your previous BC. Write down any worries you might have about anything. It helps a ton with those doctor jitters :) It also seems to show the gyno that you've done your research and they're much more willing to listen to what you want instead of just shoving something else at you- I went through a list of everything available and why I didn't want each one, and why I did want a Mirena, and she was all "well looks like you've covered everything, when do you want it in?"

I personally love my Mirena and will most likely get another in 4 1/2 years when this one's up. Smaller/nonexistent periods, no change in sex drive from when I wasn't on BC, and if I've been going whacko then my husband sure hasn't said anything :v: Plus, while being able to take a pill every day may seem like an awesome habit, I figure I'll be taking enough when I'm older that I'd rather be free of it as long as I can. You can always substitute a vitamin during that time to keep up the habit though if you're wanting to try a non-pill method (just in case you end up not liking it and swap back to a pill later).

Good luck with everything!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DaChurl posted:

Definitely write it all down in a way that will help you get your thoughts in order! I do that whenever I have a lot of stuff to go over on the phone, since I'm terrible at keeping my thoughts in order during phone conversations.

I will say that I find it a little odd that your doctor keeps looking for lower dose pills. When I went to my doctor about libido problems, her main recommendation was something with a higher dose of estrogen since that's a big factor in a woman's sex drive. In my case I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo which killed my sex drive, then switched to the higher estrogen version and everything was much better.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think that's an individual thing, though -- I'm on Implanon (progesterone-only, low-dose) and everything goes to 11.

I'm obviously not a doctor, but I think it'd be worth it to try a progesterone-only method, just to eliminate one variable (and estrogen causes more side effects). If you want something simple, you could just try a POP. Or if you want to try Implanon, since it works for your sister, you could do that too -- it's easy in and out, and effects disappear almost as soon as you get it out. And you could ditch it anytime, it's not a big investment anymore, because :911:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

I think that's an individual thing, though -- I'm on Implanon (progesterone-only, low-dose) and everything goes to 11.

I'm obviously not a doctor, but I think it'd be worth it to try a progesterone-only method, just to eliminate one variable (and estrogen causes more side effects). If you want something simple, you could just try a POP. Or if you want to try Implanon, since it works for your sister, you could do that too -- it's easy in and out, and effects disappear almost as soon as you get it out. And you could ditch it anytime, it's not a big investment anymore, because :911:

Well yeah, but if you're on progesterone-only you would be mainly dealing with your own natural levels of estrogen. I just meant a higher dose on a combination pill. Generally the progesterone levels on combination pills don't change much between high dose and low dose pills, it's the estrogen levels that change.

And Implanon could still be a big investment if she doesn't have insurance.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Maybe try a progesterone-only pill for a while? All the ones you've been on have been combined. You could try a minipill first before you commit to something like Implanon or Mirena.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
double postin~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vozr9vHeMo
This is a nice explanation of how birth control in general works, not just Plan B.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

What up birth control thread. I've never posted in here, though I have occasionally referred to it off and on. Excellent OP. I'm mainly looking to gather some outside opinions on my particular situation. I've been on a pill (Loestrin 24 FE) for several years now, but Loestrin has become stupid expensive lately. I'm also about to move out of the country (I currently live in the US, moving to Ireland for a year or so), so I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to switch to something that I don't have to collect from a pharmacy so often, since I'm going to have to start getting all my prescriptions mailed to me. Right now I'm considering the ring or an IUD. Leaning toward the IUD because then, assuming no complications, I wouldn't have to worry about it at all while I'm away from my doctor. My main issue with the IUD is that I'm a massive worrier and the possible complications all sound really scary to me, and if anything happens while I'm overseas it would be more difficult, although certainly not impossible, to get it taken care of. I'm in my early 20s, never had kids, not in a monogamous relationship; I don't know how much all that actually affects the possibility of complications. Anybody have opinions on IUDs they'd be willing to share?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yeah click the ? under my name to wade through my posts for Mirena info. I recently had a partial expulsion and I'm still gung-ho on them if that makes you feel better. The only reason I had the expulsion is because I did a dumb thing and didn't break the suction on my menstrual cup, too :downs:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

What up birth control thread. I've never posted in here, though I have occasionally referred to it off and on. Excellent OP. I'm mainly looking to gather some outside opinions on my particular situation. I've been on a pill (Loestrin 24 FE) for several years now, but Loestrin has become stupid expensive lately. I'm also about to move out of the country (I currently live in the US, moving to Ireland for a year or so), so I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to switch to something that I don't have to collect from a pharmacy so often, since I'm going to have to start getting all my prescriptions mailed to me. Right now I'm considering the ring or an IUD. Leaning toward the IUD because then, assuming no complications, I wouldn't have to worry about it at all while I'm away from my doctor. My main issue with the IUD is that I'm a massive worrier and the possible complications all sound really scary to me, and if anything happens while I'm overseas it would be more difficult, although certainly not impossible, to get it taken care of. I'm in my early 20s, never had kids, not in a monogamous relationship; I don't know how much all that actually affects the possibility of complications. Anybody have opinions on IUDs they'd be willing to share?

Which IUD are you considering and what complications are you concerned about? Some of them are a little different depending on the IUD. If it's things like perforation or infection, those are both fairly rare and usually are the result of a doctor who's not very good/experienced at insertions. So find a doc who does a lot of IUD insertions. :)

If you go through my posts, I have a Paragard (copper IUD) since early January and I can answer questions about it if you have any about it specifically. Or questions about having an IUD in general, I'm also happy to answer.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Oh jeez that's exactly my biggest fear, since I've been using a Diva Cup for a couple years now and I would be heartbroken to have to stop using it. But it's not going to pull out an IUD as long as you break the suction every time?

e: Oh whoops new post. I'm thinking about Mirena, because I think I might have some metal sensitivities so I'm not sure if Paraguard would cause me any problems. I've also heard a lot about how it causes really heavy periods, although I don't know how much truth there is to that. My doctor sounded like she's done a lot of IUDs, so I'm not too worried as far as that goes. My biggest concern is mainly expulsion, because it seems like it would be more difficult to get it fixed overseas where I don't actually have a doctor.

MK-Ultramarathon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 5, 2013

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Oh jeez that's exactly my biggest fear, since I've been using a Diva Cup for a couple years now and I would be heartbroken to have to stop using it. But it's not going to pull out an IUD as long as you break the suction every time?

e: Oh whoops new post. I'm thinking about Mirena, because I think I might have some metal sensitivities so I'm not sure if Paraguard would cause me any problems. I've also heard a lot about how it causes really heavy periods, although I don't know how much truth there is to that. My doctor sounded like she's done a lot of IUDs, so I'm not too worried as far as that goes. My biggest concern is mainly expulsion, because it seems like it would be more difficult to get it fixed overseas where I don't actually have a doctor.

Ask your doc about implanon, too. None of the expulsion worries of an IUD. Plus insertion hurts way less. It's only a three-year though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

I think nickel is the main concern there, although I've heard of people with nickel sensitivities using Paragard without a problem. I think it's probably a matter of how severe your allergy is but I could understand if you wouldn't want to risk it. It does cause heavier periods, but not too much worse than what I get naturally and really it's only one or two days of my period that are really crazy. I'd say with something like a Diva Cup it would be pretty manageable. It seems to normalize a lot after 6 months or so from what others tell me.

Unfortunately, expulsion is one of those things that you really can't predict before it happens. Just from looking at the statistics and talking to my own doctor about it, it's not that common really and after the first year chances of expulsion really go down. Maybe you could look into doctors overseas just in case? I think most countries have doctors that specialize in dealing with travelers and expats. And IUDs are really popular around the world, so finding someone who does them might actually be easier (assuming you decide to get another if it expels).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Yeah pretty much. The other danger is getting ahold of one of the strings while pulling it out. There was definitely a study recently that found no increased risk of IUD expulsion with a menstrual cup.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Another thing to keep in mind about the Mirena is that it could stop your period and you wouldn't even need the cup. I haven't had a period since July.

I loving love my Mirena. No babies. No periods. All the win.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fork bomb posted:

What do you mean "snagged your threads?" Were they poking you and causing you to bleed?

I mean they got caught on a richly textured vibe.

By the way this is a great incident to have on your medical record because it adds an air of sophistication and suavity.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Pick posted:

By the way this is a great incident to have on your medical record because it adds an air of sophistication and suavity.

Haha. I'm really glad there wasn't anything seriously wrong. Did they straighten them out for you?

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

Kimmalah posted:

In my case I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo which killed my sex drive, then switched to the higher estrogen version and everything was much better.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I'll definitely ask about something with more estrogen than the Mononessa and less than the Yaz. Maybe with a better balance i won't go nuts. The progesterone only pills also sound like an interesting option. If they work out I could look into the Implanon. My appointment is just over a week from now so I'll start making notes now. Thanks again for the help!

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Pick posted:

See, this is why I love SA, you'd never get these kind of caveats on the official Mirena website. Very helpful thread in general, glad it exists... definitely leaning toward Mirena, and my doctor said to let her know on Monday what I want to do, so I'll do a bit more research between now and then.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DaChurl posted:

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I'll definitely ask about something with more estrogen than the Mononessa and less than the Yaz. Maybe with a better balance i won't go nuts. The progesterone only pills also sound like an interesting option. If they work out I could look into the Implanon. My appointment is just over a week from now so I'll start making notes now. Thanks again for the help!

Like Anne said, earlier it could be an individual thing. I just remember when I was trying to decide on the right pill to try and mentioned having libido problems previously my doctor suggested a higher estrogen dose right off. It wasn't a miracle cure since it still put a damper on things a little (which I didn't realize until stopping the pill entirely) but I did have a reasonable sex drive rather than none whatsoever.

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

See, this is why I love SA, you'd never get these kind of caveats on the official Mirena website. Very helpful thread in general, glad it exists... definitely leaning toward Mirena, and my doctor said to let her know on Monday what I want to do, so I'll do a bit more research between now and then.

I can't speak for Mirena myself from experience, but I will say that after being on something like the pill having an IUD (or probably any kind of long-term birth control) is awesome. I love being protected from pregnancy without having to stop what I'm doing to take a pill everyday and never having to worry about stuff like drug interactions or anything. Even with the heavy, crampy periods I love it.

Of course don't take that as me trying to persuade you one way or the other, that's just been my experience. I wish I had gotten my IUD sooner really after all those years on the pill.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Click on my ? to see all my posts about paragard + diva cup. I also have a stupid bad nickle allergy and have had 0 problems.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

My pleasure :downs:.

It was actually pretty funny because it's one of those conversations you have to stumble through awkwardly or just own. So for your own sake you just own it and enjoy the gynecologist being taken aback by a rare display of unqualified honesty.

They took care of it and now they'll have a calming anecdote for future patients. "Ha ha," they will say, "At least you're not that lady who came in having--"

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Another very satisfied Mirena user chiming in. I used a menstrual cup with mine a few times but my periods stopped so quickly there wasn't really much chance to use them together.

I got my first Mirena at 23 and used it for the full 5 years. Second one at 28 and used it for a year and a half until we decided we were ready for kids. I had no periods for 6 of the 6.5 years I used the Mirena. Fewer migraines than either on the pill or not using any hormones. Sex drive was always fine. Honestly it made me feel like I got a be a person instead of a woman, if that makes sense. Nothing quite as awesome to me as not having to worry about whether I was going to get my period in the middle of field work or a backpacking trip. Worst side effect I had was mild cramping whenever my bladder got too full.

For those who care about such things, I got my cycle back almost immediately after the second Mirena came out. Got pregnant less than two months after it was removed. That one ended in a miscarriage but I have no reason to think it was related to the Mirena (I'd had two very normal periods before I got pregnant). Pregnant again less than two months after the miscarriage and I'm due at the end of this month with that one. So for me it was perfect. No periods or worries about pregnancy while I had it but almost immediate return of fertility after it came out. And I'm clearly every bit as fertile as I expected based on my family history (I got pregnant 2 of 3 months we tried), so it was definitely doing it's job while it was in. I'm planning to get another one as soon as I can after the baby comes and keep it until we're ready for a second child.

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?
Has anyone had an infection whilst having an IUD in? My doctor made it sound like an emergency if it ever happened. I feel like I'm developing a yeast infection and I'm wondering if that constitutes going to urgent care, being seen regularly, or being seen at all.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Getting a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis while you have an IUD is no big deal. It's getting gonorrhea or chlamydia that presents a problem, as those infections could move into your upper reproductive tract and cause pelvis inflammatory disease at a slightly higher rate with an IUD than without one.

I had two yeast infections while I had the Mirena. It wasn't a big deal. Just get on meds for it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sexily posted:

Has anyone had an infection whilst having an IUD in? My doctor made it sound like an emergency if it ever happened. I feel like I'm developing a yeast infection and I'm wondering if that constitutes going to urgent care, being seen regularly, or being seen at all.

They're mainly worried about STIs like gonorrhea and chlamydia (which is what they test for before they'll even put the IUD in). I don't know exactly what your doctor said, but they may have also been telling you to watch out for signs of infection caused by the insertion itself, which can be a rare complication. But if it's been a while you're probably in the clear there.

Something like a yeast infection is no big deal though. I've had one since I got my IUD and I just used the usual over the counter treatment I always do with no problems. And I know one person who had hers inserted while she had a case of bacterial vaginosis and no one seemed all that concerned about it other than giving her some flagyl to take afterwards (which they probably would have done IUD or not).

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

So after getting the runaround from my OB/GYN where they were cancelling and rescheduling my appointments without notifying me :wtf: , I show up for my appointment this morning where they proceed to tell me that my appointment has been cancelled and rescheduled AGAIN. Mysteriously, there was an appointment cancellation for my same exact time so they were able to fit me in. :jerkbag:

Anywho, I'm now the proud owner of a brand-new Nexplanon! I've already been through two Implanons, and as I previously mentioned in the thread I was worried that they made people switch to a different method after two, but the doctor never even said a word. Got a pap done at the same time so now I'm good to go for another three years!

Candycanes
Apr 7, 2007

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

If you're paying out of pocket, it may be cheaper to get the IUD in Ireland (about €300 for Mirena).

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Holy crap, I just unwrapped my arm for the first time since getting my Implanon removed and a Nexplanon inserted yesterday and there is no bruising. :aaa:

I wouldn't be surprised if some developed, but that doc must have had the magic touch because after my first two it looked like a train had hit the inside of my bicep.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Candycanes posted:

If you're paying out of pocket, it may be cheaper to get the IUD in Ireland (about €300 for Mirena).

Oh wow. Yeah, American health care... etc. I'm in the process of figuring out how much of it insurance will pay, but I'll probably end up getting it here regardless, just because I'm super neurotic and I'd rather get it from the doctor I've been going to for a few years. Hoping insurance will cover at least part of it, but I guess we'll see.

Glad to hear the stories from all the Mirena users! Definitely making me more confident about my decision.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Depending on when your policy went into effect, all birth control should be covered. I don't know if that means they'll pay it in full, but it's something.

If not, Planned Parenthood is always worth looking into since (most) clinics will charge based on your income. I paid out of pocket for my IUD and even though it was still insanely expensive because of the way the clinic was funded, it was still cheaper than any other option I had with no insurance coverage.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Crossposting from sex questions thread:

I've been having sex for around a month now with a girl who has a copper IUD, and we've both had some problems with irritation. I have noticed that there has been something rigid in there that didn't feel right and caused me some pain (to the point where we couldn't have sex for a few days because it hurt me too much). Now, she is having similar problems (painful to the point where we can't even start).

She's noticed that if I go to one side more, there's no pain, and I noticed the painful rigid feeling on the side that hurts for her. We think this might be the string coming down from her IUD, but aren't particularly sure. Is this A Thing that happens? Any way of fixing it short of removing the device?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 10, 2013

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
ANY GOONETTES IN CANADA USING ALYSENA READ!

http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2013/04/09/alysena_recall_patients_using_the_birth_control_not_informed_for_five_days.html

quote:

Women taking recalled birth control were kept in the dark for five days after the problem was discovered, prompting fears of unplanned pregnancies and panic on social media.
Apotex, the maker of Alysena 28 contraceptive pill, issued a voluntary recall to wholesalers, retailers and distributors on April 3 after it discovered some packs contained 14 sugar pills instead of seven. This Type II recall pulled the drug from the shelves but did not require contacting patients.
Health Canada upgraded the recall five days later on Monday, issuing the most serious, Type I recall of the drug, which obligates retailers to contact women who were sold the pill.
As news of the recall spread Tuesday, hundreds of women across Canada took to social media, expressing outrage, worry and consternation, many of them saying they still hadn’t been contacted.
One Twitter user, calling herself Mademoiselle Titam, summed up much of the outcry, writing “In Canada, taking the pill is like playing Russian roulette, especially with Alysena-28.”
Health Canada says a Type I recall occurs in “a situation in which there is a reasonable probability that the use of, or exposure to, a product will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.”
“By taking the birth control pill, a woman has made the decision that she doesn’t want to get pregnant,” said Sarah Hobbs-Blyth, executive director of Planned Parenthood Toronto. “When a mistake like this happens, that decision has been taken away from them.”
Carolyn Egan at the Birth Control Venereal Disease Information Centre says women unknowingly taking placebos are no longer protected from unwanted pregnancies.
“You think you’re protected, but you aren’t,” she said. “You’re in a pretty vulnerable situation until you’re on your new package and you’re on it for seven days.”
The sexual health centre, like many others across the city, received calls from worried women on Tuesday. They recommend women who are unsure if they’re affected check the lot number on their pills — the affected lot is labelled with the code LF01899A — and call their pharmacy.
A packet of 28 pills, to be taken daily, normally includes one week of white placebo pills and three weeks of pink active tablets. The affected lot may contain up to two rows of white placebo pills.
“Ingestion of only 14 tablets of active instead of intended 21 of oral contraceptive would most likely result in reduced efficacy for contraception and therefore possibility of unplanned pregnancy cannot be ruled out,” wrote Apotex in its urgent drug recall issued last week.
The affected birth control was sold in all provinces except Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba since early December 2012.
Alysena 21, a version of the contraceptive that doesn’t include the placebo pills, isn’t included in the recall.
Women prescribed Alysena-28 were only required to be informed of the error when Health Canada issued its drug recall Monday afternoon.
Apotex posted its first mention of the recall on their website late Tuesday.
Pharmacies had already begun calling affected customers.
Shoppers Drug Mart representative Tammy Smitham said the pills were pulled from shelves last week when the first recall was issued. Pharmacists began calling patients Monday after receiving the second recall.
London Drugs, a chain of pharmacies in western Canada, is offering two free pregnancy tests and a morning after pill to anyone affected. Normally, morning after pills cost $40.
Pharmacy Vice President John Tse said they also identified 350 women in British Columbia who received the affected lot and had pharmacists call them over the weekend — before the Health Canada recall was issued.
In its recall, Health Canada advises patients to “use a nonhormonal method of contraception as an interim measure until you speak with your physician and obtain medical advice.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

smokyprogg posted:

Crossposting from sex questions thread:

I've been having sex with a girl who has a copper IUD for around a month now, and we've both had some problems with irritation. I have noticed that there has been something rigid in there that didn't feel right and caused me some pain (to the point where we couldn't have sex for a few days because it hurt me too much). Now, she is having similar problems (painful to the point where we can't even start).

She's noticed that if I go to one side more, there's no pain, and I noticed the painful rigid feeling on the side that hurts for her. We think this might be the string coming down from her IUD, but aren't particularly sure. Is this A Thing that happens? Any way of fixing it short of removing the device?

I've personally never had anything quite this and my partner's never complained about sex feeling any different for him with the IUD, so I don't know if this is really "a thing" that normally happens. It would probably be worth getting it checked out by her doctor since it's both causing her (and you!) pain along with screwing up your sex life. Something doesn't seem right.

Anyway, IUD question: I've had mine for about 4 months now and I'm just curious, do you still get little twinges and aches even after having the IUD a while? I'm just coming off my period and this time around I'm having all kinds of little aches in my pelvic area, kind of like I did in the weeks immediately after it was inserted. It's nothing severe and I only notice it when I move around a lot, it just seems weird to me since I've had it in there long enough to adjust to it.

• Locked thread