Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Wow, I greatly dislike their disclosure method. Nowhere do they say that you're getting a synthetic alexandrite until you click through to another page and match up the code from the first page. They're making quite the effort to hide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Oh yeah, it's been long enough since I got it that I forgot to mention - I think all of their gems are synthetic.

Edit: Found it, it's in the description after the unnecessary story about what watermelon snow is: "A created gemstone is placed in a recycled white gold or platinum setting. Socially and ecologically responsible, yet exactly the same as its natural counterpart, it's perfect when you seek 'a marriage of values'."

Helena Handbasket fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 24, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

compshateme85 posted:

Due to buying a house much sooner than expected, my fiancé and I are getting on-paper married in two weeks at the courthouse. I wanted to have a cute, fun dress for it, and this is what I found. Appropriate?

We're still doing the big wedding with the guests and actual wedding dress and stuff in August.

The style is fine but um it looks kind of like a murdering dress. Is that red stuff a print or a 3D detail of some kind? Maybe it looks less bloody in real life...

razz posted:

So my Mom showed up at my place yesterday with a wedding dress for me, haha!

I'll probably ditch the belt, but I'm not sure what shoes to wear. I actually wasn't planning on wearing a dress at all (courthouse wedding) but this is pretty nice for 40 bucks :)

This is straight up adorable. I'd go with either simple shoes, not too flashy, or some totally rad boots.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Eggplant Wizard posted:

This is straight up adorable. I'd go with either simple shoes, not too flashy, or some totally rad boots.

Yeah I tried it on with my cowboy boots but it didn't look that great, plus they're a little scuffed up. So I'm either going to get a new pair of boots (but probably not because I'm a brat and only wear Tony Lama boots which are pretty much all $200+) or just get some cute flats. Hell it could even be nice-ish flipflops.

By the way that dress came from Maurices. They have some other styles that are really cute also, if anyone is looking for a simple inexpensive wedding dress or even bridesmaid dresses.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
My engagement ring was $550. We went to a store with a large estate selection and I fell in love. I think the ring is worth about double that. So it is very possible to find a nice diamond/gold ring in that price range if you search estate sales.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
:siren: Warning: Invitation List Drama :siren:

So, we're several months into planning our wedding, which is in September. We pretty much had the guest list finalized months ago, asking our respective parents if there was anyone they wanted to invite in addition to our own guest list. We received a fair bit of money from both my parents and my fiance's. Last week, my fiance's great-grandmother passed away, and at the viewing her mother asked her if we could invite some distant family members who were also at the viewing. A bit hastily, my fiance said "sure" to avoid a conversation.

After thinking about it, we both agreed that the venue we're using is already approaching it's capacity, as is our budget, and it's not necessary to invite these people. The one guy is the husband of the niece (who is deceased) of the great-grandmother, and the other two are the great grandmother's cousin's kids or something. Nobody from such distant relations is being invited from my side, and both of us hardly know these people.

So we tell her mom today that we can't invite them, and she goes "Oh, I already told them they were invited, it would be an insult to take it back now". We're both pretty pissed, as we made it clear we'd like to contain the guest list, and asked for other invitations months ago, to which her mother added about 8 people. On one hand, three more people isn't going to totally break the event, but on the other, it's still going to require us to pay for them. I had also told some of my college friends that they could have +1's for their significant others right before this, thinking that we had the list finalized and had a little bit of breathing room.

So, I'm unsure how to respond to this. I'm thinking there are basically three courses:

1.) Suck it up and invite them.
2.) Tell her mom that she invited them prematurely and she has to deal with it.
3.) Contact the unexpected invitees directly and explain to them that her mom got carried away, that we're already way over our target guest list, and that we're really sorry that we can't fit them in.

Part of me wants to just go with #2, but obviously that might burn some major bridges. I'm loathe to just suck it up, because we hardly know these people, and we didn't invite them outside of my fiance just verbally going along with it (to her mother, not to the potential guests), at a freaking viewing. Would it be that big of an insult to go with #3? I expect that's kind of hard to decide on without knowing the people, but I'm partially asking for general advice, and partially venting here.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 24, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
3 is really, really rude and you should avoid it at all costs. Better to "forget" to add them to the list than do that. I'd suggest you do 1 and hope they don't come.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I second going with "suck it up and invite them". Your budget is being augmented by the parents anyway so it is only fair that they have some say in the guest list. The new invitees may not be able to come after all, or the people you already had counted on coming might be unable to come, allowing more wiggle room in your numbers. In the grand scheme of things, the cost of dinner for three people isn't worth fighting over. The venue isn't going to kick you out because it is supposed to hold 150 people and you have 153! And a lot of caterers even plan for more than your final guest list states (I know the one we used took our final numbers from ~1 week before the event and added a 10% cushion in case additional people showed up).

I totally understand the need to vent though. I know it sucks having to take into account the additional opinions/wishes of your parents and in-laws while wedding planning, but they are being gracious enough to supplement your budget so you should be gracious enough to go with the flow. If they were taking huge liberties with the guest list (inviting tons of people without telling you or something like that), I guess you could work out an arrangement to have the extra dinner costs covered by whoever invited them... but in the end, the dinners of three extra guests seems like such a small thing to quibble about it's probably best to just let it slide. Both #2 and #3 are really rude.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

my fiance said "sure" to avoid a conversation.

We're both pretty pissed, as we made it clear we'd like to contain the guest list,

Actually, you didn't make it clear, you said yes when she asked if she could invite someone.
I understand that you're upset, but if shrugging it off isn't an option, you should be upset at yourselves for hastily agreeing to something you didn't actually want, not at the mother who acted in good faith after she'd asked you for your approval and you'd given it.

Unexpected things happen when you plan a wedding. Alternative 3 is as EW said really rude, and alternative 2 is only OK if the mother is a mindreader who should be expected to know when "sure" means "I'm sorry, no". Invite these people. Chances are they won't even come.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

blackswordca posted:

I'd like to keep it under $500

My engagement ring was under $500 and it looks similar to this, but in white gold:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/124288828/antique-diamond-cluster-ring-anniversary?ref=br_feed_30

Edit: here's a crappy pic of mine. It is a 1/2 carat cluster of diamonds that sort of looks like one big diamond. I get compliments on it all the time :).

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 25, 2013

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

The style is fine but um it looks kind of like a murdering dress. Is that red stuff a print or a 3D detail of some kind? Maybe it looks less bloody in real life...

The red is a flower, printed on both layers. It doesn't look like blood in person.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Did she invite them before or after asking you if she could? If she invited them before she asked you, I wouldn't invite them because that was a dick move; but if she invited them after she asked you and you said "sure" then you're stuck and you should just suck it up and send them invites.

We gave each set of parents a hard deadline for guest list additions, then once they gave us our lists we sent them each our complete guest list and told them this was their absolute last chance to add people. They each had about two months to come up with people, so if they suddenly remember a 5th cousin twice removed now then clearly they're not important enough to be invited in the first place. We also told the parents that our venue capacity was smaller than it actually is to cut down on the random additions.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Thanks for the responses, like I said it was partially about venting. I understand why #3 is bad form, just wasn't sure HOW much of a problem it would be. If I was in their shoes, I wouldn't have much of a problem with it, but I'm easy going and not a big stickler for protocol.

To the people who said "well you said yes, you should have refused", let me clarify how this went:

We were sitting in the funeral home, maybe 15 feet away from the open casket, when she asked my fiance. My fiance said "sure", with the understanding that we would invite them with the formal invitation, and without discussing it with me. Fiance came over and told me. I told her I wasn't happy about it, and neither was she, but like I said, we were at a freaking viewing for her great-grandmother and this wasn't exactly the right moment to be hashing out the wedding guest list. We didn't know she had verbally invited them until today, and I'm not even sure if she invited them before or after she asked us, but I'm sure it happened at the funeral. There was really no time to discuss or think.

As a separate event, this hiccup isn't so bad. Like I said three people won't break the event. But her mom hasn't exactly been, to put it mildly, the model parent. She has also been telling us for months that she was going to throw and engagement party, then told us she wanted to have it up near her (she lives three hours from anyone else in the family), then dropped the whole idea like a week ago. We also understand that her mother is contributing to the wedding, but we've already spent a lot to bring it up to something she would be happy with. It's sort of one thing in a long line of problems, and I don't want them to get any bigger as the wedding gets closer.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We gave each set of parents a hard deadline for guest list additions, then once they gave us our lists we sent them each our complete guest list and told them this was their absolute last chance to add people.

Yeah, we did this too. Her mom and stepfather required about a (not exaggerating) dozen reminders, and took three months. We actually sent out the Save the Dates before they got us the list. We let her know they were going out well in advance, and were like "last chance, send it now or they don't get one!". So this came on top of that. We're both sure her mom happened to see these few people at the funeral, had some impulsive thought that it would be nice to invite them, then sort of pressured my fiance at an inappropriate time.

On the brighter side, my fiance also bought her wedding band today. She had been looking forever and finally found a great vintage art deco ring at a great price. :toot:

Fake Edit: I'm also a bit on edge because I've been working 60-70 hour weeks, out of town, to help save up more more money for the honeymoon, and in general. It'll be worth it though.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 25, 2013

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Here's another etiquette question for ya: My mom sent me her list of bridal shower invitees so that I could pull the addresses for the wedding invitations. Yeah, I'm slow on wedding invitations, eat me. I get the list and it's got a few people that neither of us have seen in about 15 years but are friends of my grandmother (who passed away several years ago). The extra rub is my mom is not really capable of acting appropriately in social situations, to a pretty severe level so it's very possible that these extra shower people feel very uncomfortable getting a shower invitation, much less a wedding invitation, especially since they won't be able to hang out with their actual friend, my grandmother. I'm tempted to not send them a wedding invitation because it might just be a waste and make them feel even weirder. On the other hand they might be expecting one since they got a shower invitation. What to do?

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
Today I had a hair trial, and the stylist charged me $75 (more than we had discussed) before telling me that she was no longer sure she was available on my wedding date. WTF? Obviously I wouldn't have paid for a trial with someone who couldn't actually do my hair on my wedding.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, we did this too. Her mom and stepfather required about a (not exaggerating) dozen reminders, and took three months. We actually sent out the Save the Dates before they got us the list.

Yeah I had to call/email my parents several times before they'd look at our list. At that point we thought we had a pretty solid wedding date and were getting ready to send out save the dates so I was on their asses about it nearly daily, if our wedding date had been up in the air at that point like it is now I'm pretty sure I'd STILL be waiting on them. My parents keep offering to help with planning but when I actually ask them to do a thing by a deadline it's like pulling teeth to get it done. Then when I just do stuff and inform them after the fact they act all butthurt that I didn't ask for help.

Emaxculatrix posted:

Today I had a hair trial, and the stylist charged me $75 (more than we had discussed) before telling me that she was no longer sure she was available on my wedding date. WTF? Obviously I wouldn't have paid for a trial with someone who couldn't actually do my hair on my wedding.

That blows. Does she have a replacement from the same salon that could sub for her or was it more of a "too bad go find someone else" type of deal? Did she at least let you take pictures of it to show to whoever might actually do your hair for your wedding? I could sort of see having a sub from the same salon that she could give a run-down of what to do, but charging you that money and flaking out of doing the actual wedding is pretty unprofessional.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

That blows. Does she have a replacement from the same salon that could sub for her or was it more of a "too bad go find someone else" type of deal? Did she at least let you take pictures of it to show to whoever might actually do your hair for your wedding? I could sort of see having a sub from the same salon that she could give a run-down of what to do, but charging you that money and flaking out of doing the actual wedding is pretty unprofessional.

Well, I didn't really like the way she styled it AND she also quoted me a new, higher price for the day-of than we'd discussed over the phone. So I didn't really like it and now I can't afford it anyway. I wish she'd told me her real prices and availability in advance- I could have saved myself a bunch of time and money today.

broken chair
Dec 17, 2009

A Slime draws near!
This thread has been an excellent source of information!

My fiancé and I were going to get married one year after getting engaged, on Halloween of this year. Originally, we were going to just do a courthouse wedding follwed by a party for the family and friends that weekend. We had been trying for some time to get knocked up even before getting engaged last year to no avail. Now, of course, after we made our plans, I am pregnant with the baby due at the end of September. This wouldn't interfere with a courthouse wedding, but I doubt very much we could enjoy a celebration with a month-old infant. So now it's looking like we will do a simple ceremony and reception for everyone in July, when I will be about 7 months along.

I have a question about dresses. I am in love with this one - http://www.lightinthebox.com/Empire-Ball-Gown-Strapless-Knee-length-Organza-Tiered-Maternity-Wedding-Dress--WSM0216-_p249434.html

It doesn't seem so much to be a maternity dress as it is a dress they can tailor for you to wear while pregnant. Does anyone have any experience with how to go about measurements when I know I'll be growing at a rapid rate? Would it be better to buy a dress in advance to allow for tailoring time if necessary, or to wait and buy closer to the date so the measurements are as accurate as possible? Am I wasting my time looking online for something like this in the first place?

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
That dress is super cute! And congrats on your pregnancy. I'll be about the same amount along at my wedding.

My only recommendation is that, with a strapless gown, the boobs might be more trouble than the belly in terms of getting stuff fitted. A little more or less drape in front of your stomach is not that big a deal, but your chest can change a lot in the early days - maybe it already has? My chest went from a 40D to a 38G in the first trimester, so I waited a month to see if they were done hulking out, bought my maternity/nursing bras, and then took the dress in for tailoring.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
My girlfriend in some ways is a bit of a traditionalist. She wanted me to ask her parents permission. I had that conversation with them last night. It went far less awkwardly than I expected.

Thank you for the heads up about Etsy. Ive found a few nice rings on there for about half the price of other websites. Im trying to dig up some information on Silver\Palladium alloy that a lot of those rings seem to have. Mostly im wondering about how it wears and how it tarnishes.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

blackswordca posted:

My girlfriend in some ways is a bit of a traditionalist. She wanted me to ask her parents permission. I had that conversation with them last night. It went far less awkwardly than I expected.
I did this too and also found that it wasn't a big deal. My fiancée, her parents and I were all out at the bar on cinco de mayo. When I had a moment alone with her dad, I asked him about it. He said yes, got really happy and started buying me drinks. When my fiancée and her mom came back they were all, :confused: "what the hell are you guys celebrating?" I think I just told them we were really that it was cinco de mayo. Then the next day, I proposed.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

blackswordca posted:

Thank you for the heads up about Etsy. Ive found a few nice rings on there for about half the price of other websites. Im trying to dig up some information on Silver\Palladium alloy that a lot of those rings seem to have. Mostly im wondering about how it wears and how it tarnishes.

I asked for permission as well. She never told me she wanted to, but I like her parents a lot and felt it was right to ask, so I called them the night before I did it. I actually got yelled at when I asked them because I was out in their state for work that weekend and I called them from the airport when I was waiting for my flight. Her mom thought I was calling to say my flight was cancelled because of the snow so it threw them off guard when I asked. They were ecstatic, just thrown off because they figured I was calling for a ride. Her mom yelling at me sort of made me less nervous about it oddly enough, until she said something like "you're the best thing that ever happened to her" and then I lost it.

Edit: Oh and don't do a silver ring, it tarnishes waaay too easily.

FloorCheese
Jul 17, 2012

LogisticEarth posted:

On the brighter side, my fiance also bought her wedding band today. She had been looking forever and finally found a great vintage art deco ring at a great price. :toot:

Fake Edit: I'm also a bit on edge because I've been working 60-70 hour weeks, out of town, to help save up more more money for the honeymoon, and in general. It'll be worth it though.

Wow, that is a gorgeous wedding band! My fiance and I haven't gotten to the bands yet, I was thinking of just a plain band but now your post has me wondering. I didn't even know wedding bands came in options aside from basic plain ones. I don't know much about jewelry, admittedly.

I'm always a little surprised how many people like the asking 'permission' thing, I wonder how much of this is still prevalent in western & American cultures. I never heard of people doing such things in the culture I grew up in, unless they were serious about wanting to negotiate the bride price else kidnap the bride in question (no joke, happened to my grandmother).

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Went to schedule a fitting for Something Positive's dress and I found out that we will need to have everything (bra, shoes, etc.) that she'd be wearing for the wedding there that day. That gives me a little over a week to pull all this together for her. The big thing is her shoes... She is very set on getting Ruby Slippers Ala Wizard of Oz. Looks like I've got a crafts project coming up. We need to find some red shoes that fit her well, a hot glue gun, two red bows, and some sequins. Will post some pics on progress and steps for anyone who also wants a wedding over the rainbow. :cool:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

rockcity posted:

Edit: Oh and don't do a silver ring, it tarnishes waaay too easily.

I've worn a silver ring for the last 10+ years and it's not tarnished except inside a whorly bit. I think being rubbed around on my fingers has kept it clean. Yes, I am sure it's silver.

FloorCheese posted:

I'm always a little surprised how many people like the asking 'permission' thing, I wonder how much of this is still prevalent in western & American cultures. I never heard of people doing such things in the culture I grew up in, unless they were serious about wanting to negotiate the bride price else kidnap the bride in question (no joke, happened to my grandmother).

Yeah, me too, but I understand it sort of. I mean, we still do the fathers "giving away" their daughters thing, which is essentially the same concept. It's still by far more common for a woman to take her husband's name than vice versa. Marriage is one of those socially important things that maintains traditions longer than daily life stuff. The important thing, though, is that now women and their partners have the choice to do these things if they want to, and won't be whispered about (usually) if they don't.

(No feminism derail please I do not want to deal with it)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I have a question about dads and tuxes. I've started to do some research on tuxes for both myself and my groomsmen and I think I've decided I want to go midnight blue tuxes a la Daniel Craig in Skyfall. I sent my mom a link to the look I'm going for to see what she thought and she asked me if the dads were going to wear tuxes. I hadn't really thought about it at all and it brought up a bunch of situations that I'm trying to figure out in my head. My fiancee's dad wore (rented) a tux to her sister's wedding so I know he's worn one as a father to a wedding before. My dad however is a fairly casual guy. The last two weddings I've seen him at he's worn dress pants and a dress shirt, but no suit. I'm the first of his kids to get married so I have no direct comparison for him. My step-dad said he'd wear whatever I wanted him to. My issue is that in my head, I don't really picture my dad in a tux. He'd probably wear one if I wanted him to, but I'm not sure I want him to if I don't picture him in one (if that makes any sense). My mom seems to think I'd be taking it away from her dad if I told them not to wear tuxes, but he's hands down the most easy going person I've ever met, so I know that even if I asked him, he wouldn't give me an opinion on it.

I haven't asked my fiancee at all what she thinks, but I don't know if she's going to have much opinion on it. I'm guessing she'll just say "whatever you think is best". I'm just not quite sure how to handle this since I'm not sure how I feel about it. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? I just don't want my dad to feel pressured to wear one, but I'm not sure how to ask without it seeming like I want him to (which I could go either way on).

The other couple factors that are playing into this are A. It's a daytime wedding which I know if you follow black tie rules to the letter, you shouldn't even wear a tux, but I want to look like James Bond at my wedding and save money on not having a night time reception, so the rules can suck it. And B. My fiancee is already a bit out of her comfort zone with the size of the wedding so we're trying to keep it as low-key as we can so maybe having the dads not in tuxes would be better for that.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Our fathers wore suits that complimented our mothers' dresses. The fathers did the same thing at my sister-in-law's wedding. I would say that your dad probably needs to at least wear a nice suit, especially since you & your groomsmen will be in tuxes.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My dad keeps asking what he should wear, I honestly don't care what he wears to the wedding. The civilian groomsmen will be in tuxes but I'm not going to make my dad wear one unless he wants to. My fiance's dad will probably wear one because he owns one.

On the clothing topic:
Our reception venue has a strict dress code, how do I make sure everyone is aware of it? I'm putting it on our wedding website's reception page, but a lot of people probably won't look at it. Putting a card outlining the dress code in the invite seems a little tacky. It's not anything ridiculous and normal wedding wear should get everyone dressed properly, but the venue won't let guys in who aren't wearing a military uniform or a suit and tie and I'm mildly concerned about someone not wearing a tie or just going with dress pants and a dress shirt without the coat and getting turned away. Ladies have a little more leeway as long as they look nice. Do I just add a line to the reception card that says "Note: dress code applies, see website for details"? Then what about old people without the internet? Thoughts?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Do I just add a line to the reception card that says "Note: dress code applies, see website for details"? Then what about old people without the internet? Thoughts?

I would put it right in the invitation on a separate piece of paper, but find a polite way to word their dress policy so that it's clear. The way I look at it, would you rather have someone feel a little awkward being told how to dress for your wedding or have them show up at your wedding and not be allowed in? I'd preface it by saying something about the "venue dress code" that way it at least seems like it's not your policy. I regularly see people wearing just a dress shirt and slacks at weddings or even khakis and a golf shirt so if you don't say anything be prepared to have a lot of people not fitting their dress code.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Are there any good websites I can go to to read up and start researching different types of engagement rings (other than jewelry store websites directly)? I don't know the first thing about rings, diamonds, or jewelry, so I just want to read up on what's available and not get ripped off when I go to buy something. There wasn't much in the OP and the thread is huge, and I unfortunately don't have search. My girlfriend gave me a strict budget of $800 for a ring, but I'm flexible and I definitely don't want her to just settle on a cheap ring. After talking to friends and family, I was told I absolutely had to spend at least $2,500 for a good ring and I was really shocked (I don't have that kind of money), but from what some of you have posted here though I think I could get a really nice ring for under $1,000.

VVV - Thanks a lot for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for to get started.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 29, 2013

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah, the "must spend at least $2500" is BS. Granted, that's around what I ended up spending on mine, buy my inital budget was closer to $1500 and I spent more time saving up over the course of looking and decided to splurge. That was for an approximately half-carat, higher quality diamond, set in palladium with ~1/4 carat of accent diamonds, from Brilliant Earth, who has higher prices supposedly due to stringent ethical standards for the sourcing of thier stones.

For $800-1000 you could easily get a 0.25-0.5 carat diamond (depending on quality) in a simple white gold setting. Or you could go the moissanite or other alternative-stone route and get a bigger, clearer stone. Check around on Blue Nile or some other major online retailer and get a handle on how much they charge.

Basically, you want to decide what matters most:
  • Stone quality vs. size: Does it matter to you to have a larger stone, or a higher quality (whiter, more brilliant, etc.)? Does she want to have a diamond, or is an alternative stone OK?
  • Setting type: Does she want a simple setting, or something more complex? Accent stones (diamonds, emeralds, saphires, etc.) You can spend more on the setting while getting a cheaper stone.
  • Setting metal: Does she want a white metal (white gold, platinum, palladium) or a yellow or rose gold? Remember that white gold typically has a rhodium plating that needs to be maintained over time. Avoid silver as it tarnishes easily.
  • Matching wedding band: This is one that bit me a little bit. After thinking about it my fiance decided she was interested in a matching wedding band that would "fit" with the ring. Unfortunately we would have had to have it custom made, which gets expensive quick. If your fiance is interested in this, find out and look for matched sets. You can usually buy just the engagement ring, and then the wedding band later.

Anyone who says you MUST spend $2500 or higher is just full of it. If you shop around you can get great deals. I think what happens to most people is that they just blunder into jewlery stores and never take a look online. Or they have some kind of arbitrary stipulation that the diamond has to be at least 1 carat or something. While nice to go for if you have the cash for it, that's totally unessecary.

FYI this is what my fiance's 0.5 carat diamond looks like on a size 6 finger. If I recall it's just about 4.5mm square. Bumping it up to a full carat would have increased the size only by another milimeter one each side. You have to ask yourself if that is really worth another $1500-2000.:

EDIT:
As far as links with info go, most of the major online retailers have mostly reliable education sections. Example:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-and-jewelry-education

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Has anyone else noticed a ridiculous increase in spam email after signing up for The Knot? I don't mean wedding-related spam, I mean regular ol' Russian mail order brides and diet pills and fake loan offer emails. I used to only very rarely get spam, but it's increased like crazy since signing up for The Knot. Ever since our wedding plans got put on hold and I stopped going to wedding sites/googling wedding related crap I'm now getting ads for couples counseling :allears: Thanks, google.

Also I am going to strangle the next person who makes a sideways comment about how we're "too young" to get married. We'll both be 24 (or 25) on our wedding day, it's not like we're 18 year old high school seniors who are so ~in love~ and you just don't understand maaan. We're both independent adults with stable employment, I don't see what the big deal is.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I don't know about email spam since it all goes to the junk folder, but I'm pretty sure either The Knot or David's Bridal sells your info to other companies. I can't count how many times I've been called telling me I've won a FREE gift and I need to go to their bridal show to pick it up. Don't put your phone number in these sites unless you absolutely have to!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Dead Pikachu posted:

I don't know about email spam since it all goes to the junk folder, but I'm pretty sure either The Knot or David's Bridal sells your info to other companies. I can't count how many times I've been called telling me I've won a FREE gift and I need to go to their bridal show to pick it up. Don't put your phone number in these sites unless you absolutely have to!

The Knot definitely sold my mailing address. I get postcards from various wedding venues all the time, but I don't mind since they're actually kind of helpful and I want to get that sort of stuff for the time being while my plans are still pretty flexible and not set in stone.

I'm going to a bridal expo in a couple weeks, I'm going to make sure to be VERY selective of who (if anyone) I give my contact info to.

Edit:
Weddington Way was actually very responsive to me emailing their "consultants" and explaining our current situation and actually respected my request to please stop sending me and my bridesmaids 15 emails a day asking for dress measurements because we're not ordering dresses until we know when we're having the wedding.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 30, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm thinking of getting my groomsmen something each with their initials engraved in it. Do you have to include their middle initials in these kinds of things, or no? I ask because I don't know some of theirs haha.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

triplexpac posted:

I'm thinking of getting my groomsmen something each with their initials engraved in it. Do you have to include their middle initials in these kinds of things, or no? I ask because I don't know some of theirs haha.

I think you usually do... Just say you want their middle initials for the programs so it looks fancier.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

LogisticEarth posted:

Anyone who says you MUST spend $2500 or higher is just full of it. If you shop around you can get great deals.

Thanks for this post. There just seems to be a ton of misinformation and confusion about what one SHOULD buy in terms of a ring. I recently bought a ring, paid a little over $5000 for it. My family caught wind of it (I haven't proposed yet btw) and now they're giving me hell for 'being cheap.'

I have close family members that have recently received rings in the $15k+ neighbourhood, so naturally we have to compete (ugh). I picked a piece that I know my gf will love, but has anyone else been on the end of this sort of thing? 15k on a ring just sounds like insanity to me, especially considering what a struggle it was to even raise the funds for the one I chose.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That is complete and utter bullshit; what you "should" spend on a ring is the amount to find a ring you like, your to-be-fiancee likes, and will look pretty. Hopefully somewhat durable, too.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

triplexpac posted:

My fiance just got some beer mugs engraved at Things Remembered. Walked right in, and they did it within an hour. They have templates to choose from, I believe the initials did have 3 letters instead of just two. He got "Best Man ____" and "Groomsman _____" instead though.

edit: oh god one week from tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

jot posted:

Thanks for this post. There just seems to be a ton of misinformation and confusion about what one SHOULD buy in terms of a ring. I recently bought a ring, paid a little over $5000 for it. My family caught wind of it (I haven't proposed yet btw) and now they're giving me hell for 'being cheap.'

I have close family members that have recently received rings in the $15k+ neighbourhood, so naturally we have to compete (ugh). I picked a piece that I know my gf will love, but has anyone else been on the end of this sort of thing? 15k on a ring just sounds like insanity to me, especially considering what a struggle it was to even raise the funds for the one I chose.

My response would be "Welp, guess I'm not getting married then. Looks like your grandchildren will all be bastards."

I've started looking, and so far my reaction has been "Oh. That's just the price of the setting? Well..."