Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

yaoi prophet posted:

But my gigabytes :byodood:

If Chrome's using a lot of memory it's your own drat fault for putting all that memory in the system in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Is ChromiumOS stable enough for daily use as a mom-PC? I'm basically looking for a low cost alternative to buying her a Mac. She has a Windows machine right now whose disk died, but I was fielding nearly daily questions about how to do what on it. She's just not a computer person, god bless her.

ChromeOS looks pretty idiot proof, but I guess I'd like to know if I'm in for a world of hurt, or whether I should wait a little while longer for it to mature, or what.

We've been using Chromebooks at school and it's been going relatively well. Imagine the worst user base ever, then make it slightly dumber, that's our teachers. Other than physically sitting on the device, or picking it up by the screen, we've had no problems. We are able to manage software installs via the Google management console, since we have a Google for education account, so we can avoid installing 800 games and toolbars and other junk that slows them down. You may want to look into getting a 10-user Google for business account so you can do the same for your mom.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Figured out my problem with Chrome taking a long time before letting me open a website. Turns out Tampermonkey was lagging it for some reason. Unfortunately, I have a few scripts I'd like to run on a few sites, suggestions for getting those scripts to work?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

calandryll posted:

Figured out my problem with Chrome taking a long time before letting me open a website. Turns out Tampermonkey was lagging it for some reason. Unfortunately, I have a few scripts I'd like to run on a few sites, suggestions for getting those scripts to work?

Does it always do it? Was it just checking for script updates? In my experience, nothing beats Tampermonkey for scripts like that in Chrome.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I apparently missed the memo on Google taking Chrome Sync away from the free apps accounts. About a month previous I changed my password and that is when I started having all my sync issues. At frist it would allow me to connect my account and would sync but after a few minutes it would error out. Eventually over the course of trying everything I could think of or find on the internet to try it stopped recognizing my account information all together.

I tried upgrading to the business account figuring that would solve my problems. At first it worked, and I was happy, although not happy about potentially having to pay $100 a year for my two email accounts. Then I got the dreaded exclamation show up, so I signed back in. I had to do this multiple times till eventually it stopped recognizing my account again.

So I am right back to where I started but now with the potential to cost me $100. I downgraded my account and figured I would just have to manage my bookmarks and all that stuff manually.

I do have a few older @gmail.com accounts, would there be any harm in using one of those for chrome sync. I really don't like the idea of mixing information between accounts, so I have been hesitant to try.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

crestfallen posted:

Does it always do it? Was it just checking for script updates? In my experience, nothing beats Tampermonkey for scripts like that in Chrome.

I'm not sure what is going on. Uninstalled the extension and reinstalled with just 3 scripts and now it's fine!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

niss posted:

So I apparently missed the memo on Google taking Chrome Sync away from the free apps accounts. About a month previous I changed my password and that is when I started having all my sync issues.

The only sync issues were when sync functionality was added to Apps accounts properly causing a conflict with early usage that would sync to a non-Apps account profile. Some colossal mess where you need to delete the non-Apps profile and re-sync to the Apps account and then continue as normal.

Make sense? Doesn't really to me.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

MrMoo posted:

The only sync issues were when sync functionality was added to Apps accounts properly causing a conflict with early usage that would sync to a non-Apps account profile. Some colossal mess where you need to delete the non-Apps profile and re-sync to the Apps account and then continue as normal.

Make sense? Doesn't really to me.

That doesn't really make sense to me either, but the gist I get is that I shouldn't be having an issue as I have never sync'ed a non apps account. :(

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My internet craps out a lot, what's the best download manager/extension that will let me resume stuff afterwards?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does Chrome do this when you resize for anyone under Ubuntu 12.04?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Chrome is detecting random malware at a bunch of popular websites. God it's annoying having to jump through all the hoops just to go from one page in the site to another.

LoveisOver
Aug 8, 2011
Hello. My Chrome has two flash add-ons-Chromes native one, and Adobe's. I disable one for YouTube, but then other website's flash players don't work, and then I reverse which Flash Add-on I have turned on, and the non-YT sites work fine, but YouTube is now broken. On top of this, is seems that whenever Chrome gets updated or I restart it, both stupid Flashes are automatically turned on. Does anyone else share this problem? I thought Google would have fixed this bullshit by now.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Chrome is still messed up in windows 8 on flash-heavy pages. Any version I try, any combinations of add-ons enabled/disabled. Anyone else have this problem?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Update error 3 caused by running Chrome with admin rights is such an annoying issue.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is kind of a ridiculous thing but the black bar at the top of Google Search keeps disappearing on Sundays. It shows up on all other Google sites (Maps, G+, Calendar, etc.) and also in Firefox. On Chrome (27.0.1448.0) it has disappeared two Sundays in a row now, but was back during the week. This seems to affect all country domains.

Is there a quick way to load without addons without manually disabling everything, so I can rule that out?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tunga posted:

This is kind of a ridiculous thing but the black bar at the top of Google Search keeps disappearing on Sundays. It shows up on all other Google sites (Maps, G+, Calendar, etc.) and also in Firefox. On Chrome (27.0.1448.0) it has disappeared two Sundays in a row now, but was back during the week. This seems to affect all country domains.

Is there a quick way to load without addons without manually disabling everything, so I can rule that out?

Incognito windows by default will load without extensions.

edit: and to clarify about the black bar thing, google will gradually roll out different UI updates or even test different ones on a random sample of users. A quick google shows this, and the newer builds of chrome canary/dev have the "Enable Instant extended API" flag (chrome://flags) which turns the URL bar into the google search bar and displays autocomplete results in their own box below the URL bar -- a neat trick to consolidate space.

hifi fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 24, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

Incognito windows by default will load without extensions.

edit: and to clarify about the black bar thing, google will gradually roll out different UI updates or even test different ones on a random sample of users. A quick google shows this, and the newer builds of chrome canary/dev have the "Enable Instant extended API" flag (chrome://flags) which turns the URL bar into the google search bar and displays autocomplete results in their own box below the URL bar -- a neat trick to consolidate space.
Aha, so it's Google using me as a guinea pig. That's cool, I run Dev Channel so it's fair enough.

The screenshot there is exactly what I'm seeing. I like the in-page autocomplete and the way that it makes Chrome and the Google homepage feel like they are both part of the same experience, but the lack of a menu bar is pretty jarring when you're used to using that to get to Maps, Plus, etc. They need to move it to the bottom or something if they're going to do this.

Anyway :ms: so thanks!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tunga posted:

Aha, so it's Google using me as a guinea pig. That's cool, I run Dev Channel so it's fair enough.

The screenshot there is exactly what I'm seeing. I like the in-page autocomplete and the way that it makes Chrome and the Google homepage feel like they are both part of the same experience, but the lack of a menu bar is pretty jarring when you're used to using that to get to Maps, Plus, etc. They need to move it to the bottom or something if they're going to do this.

Anyway :ms: so thanks!

You can disable it in chrome://flags or if you hit enter then autocomplete stops and shows they grey bar.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

You can disable it in chrome://flags or if you hit enter then autocomplete stops and shows they grey bar.
This works, but it means I have to do a search just to get the bar to show up, which is a bit backwards. If I manually go to google.co.uk, the bar should be there, but it isn't. The grey bar also only shows about half of the stuff that is on the black version. Basically I'm assuming this functionality is not quite finished right now, which also explains it turning on and off on different days. But that's cool, I run the Dev channel so I'm happy seeing this stuff. I just figured it was a broken addon originally.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Has anyone found a workaround for the background-color of the screen between pages to not be set to white? I use/make dark themed styles for most of the sites I visit, and that just makes the white flash in between loading pages that much more blinding. Firefox doesn't have this issue :(

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Shot in the dark here: I'm on my laptop at the client site on their wifi and they don't block IRC connections but they do flag them and hunt me down to get mad. I'm not using an IRC client. These are connection attempts coming from websites. I just got a notice this morning and I think it came from gifsound.com according to my history and their timestamp. Is there a way I can block IRC connections or ports or something in Chrome so I don't accidentally trigger this crap while I'm at work? I'm trying to be as safe as possible without just shutting the wifi off of my laptop.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Funny, I do something similar at work with the SA forums themselves. For some reason, the image domain 'fi.somethingawful.com' is flagged by my work as a a 'tasteless & offensive site' (but the 'forums' sub-domain is not). I had to add an entry to my hosts file for the images domain so IT doesn't come yelling at me every week.

I'm afraqid this solution doesn't help you at all though, since I was able to block an entire domain, not just a specific port. :(

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smooth-gestures/lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld

"Smooth Gestures" was updated recently with some shady poo poo that inserts ads (which can be disabled in the options, but only temporarily) and apparently embeds sites in a frame, which could have some security/privacy implications. It also introduced some bugs, making the "back" function not work reliably and breaking the extension's inline image zoom/hide functions that used to work fine. AND it broke the context menu on linux & mac, which can be "fixed" by another plugin from the developer that requires full computer data access permissions. Not suspicious at all, no.

From what I can tell, there were concerns with this extension containing spyware back in 2011, but that appeared to have been resolved... until now.

I've looked around, and there don't appear to be any alternative chrome extensions that handle gestures as well as this one (used to). I tried to revert to a copy of the previous version of the extension I'd backed up, but chrome just autoupdates over it with the new version. Is anyone aware of a more stable/secure fork of Smooth Gestures? It's kind of an essential extension, but I don't trust it anymore :(

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 27, 2013

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Can someone tell me why google chrome cannot load google.com. My internet explorer can, but not chrome.

I get

The webpage at https://www.google.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 15 (net::ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED): Unknown error.

This and constant flash crashes is making me want to switch browsers.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Gerudo Rivera posted:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smooth-gestures/lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld

"Smooth Gestures" was updated recently with some shady poo poo that inserts ads (which can be disabled in the options, but only temporarily) and apparently embeds sites in a frame, which could have some security/privacy implications. It also introduced some bugs, making the "back" function not work reliably and breaking the extension's inline image zoom/hide functions that used to work fine. AND it broke the context menu on linux & mac, which can be "fixed" by another plugin from the developer that requires full computer data access permissions. Not suspicious at all, no.

From what I can tell, there were concerns with this extension containing spyware back in 2011, but that appeared to have been resolved... until now.

I've looked around, and there don't appear to be any alternative chrome extensions that handle gestures as well as this one (used to). I tried to revert to a copy of the previous version of the extension I'd backed up, but chrome just autoupdates over it with the new version. Is anyone aware of a more stable/secure fork of Smooth Gestures? It's kind of an essential extension, but I don't trust it anymore :(

I ditched Smooth Gestures last time they pulled their shady poo poo and ended up using Gestures for Chrome(TM)

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Xeom posted:

Can someone tell me why google chrome cannot load google.com. My internet explorer can, but not chrome.

I get

The webpage at https://www.google.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 15 (net::ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED): Unknown error.

This and constant flash crashes is making me want to switch browsers.

I'm getting this on my work computer. Not sure how to fix it, other than closing Chrome and reopening. I thought it might be something at work interfering, but again no idea.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
e- nm fixed

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 1, 2013

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Xeom posted:

It means a problem with the SPDY protocol to Google, all HTTPS marked Google sites will handover to SPDY for performance.

You can usually disable via a flag somewhere.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

MrMoo posted:

It means a problem with the SPDY protocol to Google, all HTTPS marked Google sites will handover to SPDY for performance.

You can usually disable via a flag somewhere.

I found this website mentioning this issue, or what I think is this issue, I'm going to try this fix:

http://www.jamiestarke.com/2011/09/02/are-googles-services-running-slow-in-chrome-try-disabling-spdy/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So... has anyone ever figured out the "right click, save as... CRASH" issue? I never had this happen when I was running Windows 7 Pro, only when I upgraded to 8 is when this happened and it's giving me enough reason to switch browsers because it's annoying as gently caress when I have a lot of tabs open, try to save something, then Chrome shits itself and I lose all those tabs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Google's forking WebKit. Since this could be interesting news and affects more than just Chrome, I made a thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541964

Burger King Bathroom
Jan 11, 2005

Arbeit macht LOL
Is there a way to make Chrome ask me when to update itself? It's absolutely infuriating when all of a sudden everything grinds to a halt especially on my five year old crappy laptop without it telling me what's up. Googling showed me other people with the same problem, but I couldn't find any answers.

My version is 26.0.1410.43 m.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just noticed Chrome no longer uses native popup menus, a bit odd.

Either HTML layers or drawing in Skia.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 5, 2013

Korthal
May 26, 2011

They changed my menus :qq:

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
That looks really ugly, but I'll be OK with it if they'll make it smaller. There is too much pointless space.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm actually OK with the menu size, but the bookmarks followed suit and my dropdown menu of bookmarks is way too long now.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Is that a beta build or something? Still have native popup menus here on 26.0.1410.43 m

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

beejay posted:

Is that a beta build or something? Still have native popup menus here on 26.0.1410.43 m
That's the version I'm running, and I have the new menus :confused:

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

beejay posted:

I have the same version and I get these new menus. Maybe it's :google: activating it randomly gaian.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm actually OK with the menu size, but the bookmarks followed suit and my dropdown menu of bookmarks is way too long now.
Bookmarks is actually what annoys me most. Context menus are kind of OK, but bookmarks waste too much space now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ah... I restarted Chrome and now I get those new menus too. Barf.