Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I really couldn't be happier with mine. loving DO IT

Always never not be buying supermotos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Always never not be buying supermotos!

You cant put a price tag on freedom

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Anyone with a DRZ want to buy an RS3 slip on? I just bought a full RS2 system off TT and need to offload this one. Figured I'd post up here before I offload it on TT.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

JP Money posted:

Anyone with a DRZ want to buy an RS3 slip on? I just bought a full RS2 system off TT and need to offload this one. Figured I'd post up here before I offload it on TT.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but does installing this require a lot of separate tuning?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

No. Maybe rejetting but it's been so explored that it's very easy to nail down.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Anyone know how I can quiet down my exhaust? I have a ProCircuit T4 and it's way too obnoxious most times. I got the stock exhaust when I bought the bike, but I don't really have to space to break things down and mess with the jetting right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

axia posted:

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but does installing this require a lot of separate tuning?

Its like one mainjet size up, its not a big deal

AkrisD posted:

Anyone know how I can quiet down my exhaust? I have a ProCircuit T4 and it's way too obnoxious most times. I got the stock exhaust when I bought the bike, but I don't really have to space to break things down and mess with the jetting right now.

Unless ProCircuit makes a quiet insert, your only option may be to go back to stock.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

AkrisD posted:

If you cant find a specific insert for your exhaustyou can probably use a generic one from ebay. I just put an aftermarket baffle into my cut down Yosh RS2 end can (previous owner was a retard and cut it). its quietened it down a good bit at idle and low rpms.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A perfectly cromulent word

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Here are some listed inserts from PC.

http://www.procircuit.com/stainless-quiet-inserts.html

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A perfectly cromulent word

It embiggens the noise reduction satisfactorily.

quote:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quietened
quietened past participle, past tense of qui·et·en
Verb
Make or become quiet and calm: "her mother was trying to quieten her"; "things seemed to have quietened down".

Smile
Dec 16, 2005
So is motostrano pretty much the go-to for supermoto conversions? Looks like their barebones kit is about 1300 dollars, I've tried looking around for used bits to cut that price down a little but all ebay throws up is page after page of cheap Chinese headlights and plastic kits.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, but be prepared for long lead times getting your product and not the most communicative company ever. Good product though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Smile posted:

So is motostrano pretty much the go-to for supermoto conversions? Looks like their barebones kit is about 1300 dollars, I've tried looking around for used bits to cut that price down a little but all ebay throws up is page after page of cheap Chinese headlights and plastic kits.

What bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Yeah, but be prepared for long lead times getting your product and not the most communicative company ever. Good product though.

They're seriously the worst about that. Expect delivery times of at least a month.

I'd rather buy private party for much cheaper on SMJ.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
How do you guys feel about the WR250X vs the DRZ400?

WR250X:
-People who have owned both seem to enjoy this one more
-People claim it feels a fair bit lighter and less buzzy on highways (surprisingly)
-six gears and fuel injection
-supposedly less maintenance, though i haven't actually looked

DRZ400:
-Fair bit more power
-Costs less and easier to source parts for
-Easier to find for sale

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I have ridden both and the DRZ400 feels like an old-school thumper. It's powerful, it's a tractor, and it carries its weight high. The WR250 feels less powerful, but more refined in all respects. The suspension is modern, the power delivery is smooth, and the ride quality and engine feel are comfortable. 26K valve check intervals.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I had this same argument and I ended up back on a DRZ. I'm ultimately happy with my choice. It appears that even after you buy the full exhaust and PC3 / fuel programmer of choice which likely is going to cost you upwards of $750 at the least you're still at or below the stock power lever of a DRZ.

I found a super low mile DRZ with FCR and other mods for at least $1000++ less than WRX's around that I would consider to be worth purchasing. I just picked up a full exhaust for the DRZ for dirt cheap which would be harder (or at least less common) to do for the WRX I'd imagine. DRZ parts are super cheap as you can source almost everything off the dirt models and if you frequent ThumperTalk there are countless threads selling any part you need for very little money.

I don't think the FI is that big a draw now that I look back. You can dial an FCR in pretty well and there are loads of guides out there. The FI is easier but the cheaper boxes seem to have some REALLY rudimentary programming that was kind of sketchy. PC3's are going to cost more money for real tunability. Jets are a much cheaper option all around.

Maintenance intervals are very long on the DRZ as well. I'm sure you could go up to 26k miles on the DRZ as well without having to adjust valves after the initial check. Neither of the bikes are going to be maintenance hogs really.

I can definitely say that the WRX would be fun as well but I dunno about the powerband. It's shifted higher than the DRZ which would be strange for all the messing around you do around town on one. I can also say that if you dropped 5+ hp off the DRZ I would get bored with it. I'm already considering a big bore. This feeling will be magnified significantly if you ever ride a 450 motocrosser and feel the power those things have.

In the end it came down to me 1) saving a buttload of money while still getting a nice bike and 2) wanting more power than the WRX offered. I will say it would be nice to have a 6spd as cruising highway is kind of awkward at times. You own a ZX14 though IIRC so this is probably not a big deal.

There are loads of pro's and con's to each bike. I'd say just ride both and see what draws you in more.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

At the price point, a well modded DRZ is probably the better buy, knowing full well that highway cruising will suck (unless you gear very tall). You basically have to buy a KTM or Husky though if you want a smooth highway experience. In the >4k range, DRZ is king. All hail the best tech 1985 has to offer.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've been wondering what a KTM Freeride 350 would be like with a supermoto conversion and a couple of upgrades. The "power" map apparently puts it at 27-30HP, roughly the same as the WR250X, but it's slimmer, weighs about 20KG less and apparently has a fantastic chassis and suspension.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

JP Money posted:

What bike?

05 CRF450x

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

At the price point, a well modded DRZ is probably the better buy, knowing full well that highway cruising will suck (unless you gear very tall). You basically have to buy a KTM or Husky though if you want a smooth highway experience. In the >4k range, DRZ is king. All hail the best tech 1985 has to offer.

:cmon: Its solidly 2000-era tech (minus the steel frame instead of the aluminum frame the crossers of the day had). RM suspension (on the SM) from 2000, new in 2000 engine, etc etc etc

Anyway, the WR250 is a great bike and it depends on what you want. The DRZ is maybe the better highway bike, depending on if you value low rpm's or passing power more, and the DRZ has a larger aftermarket by orders of magnitude. The WR carries its weight lower, or at least more centrally, but the DRZ is certainly not lacking in the handling department either. The WR has a more modern aluminum frame, whereas the DRZ is steel. If you dont mind jetting a carb once for about $80 vs. spending $300 on a power commander, the DRZ is probably the better choice.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 3, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Spiffness posted:

I dunno, DRZ's were pretty solid and well loved dirtbikes before they ever made it into the supermoto game. It's definitely not 1985 tech. I'd say XR's fit that bill.

If you can get a KTM supermoto for the same price as a DRZ do it. It's just harder to find a good KTM that hasn't been destroyed. If I could I would have chosen a 625 but there's no way it would have been as cheap as a drz.

Smile posted:

05 CRF450x

Check on SupermotoJunkie, ThumperTalk, etc. forums for conversion parts. You also have the option of using your stock hubs and relacing to 17 inch hoops for the wheels to save a bit of cash over buying a new set entirely. Not sure if retaining dirt ability matters or not. There's usually plenty of people out there that buy parts for this big conversion they have planned in their mind and then they flake out and sell it cheap. Might save you some cash in the long run vs. buying one pre-made kit of every little part.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The DRZ is maybe the better highway bike, depending on if you value low rpm's or passing power more...

Debatable. The DRZ's lack of refinement takes some points away. I rode a DRZ with knobbies vs my WR250R with knobbies on the highway back to back and the DRZ had some latent headshake above 65-70. My WR250R has always be totally composed on-road, and doesn't feel terrible when you have it running at redline if you gear low, and cruises fine on stock gearing as well.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Did the DRZ have the dirt fender or a supermoto one? The huge dirtbike fender tends to catch wind like crazy. The Acerbis SM fender is a lot stiffer and has some good venting in the back. I noticed on both DRZ's that replacing the stock one eliminates any headshake the bike has on the highway. This is on street tires though. Knobbies are going to be rough no matter what.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Knobbies also tend to be really sensitive to balancing, unlike street tires. My friend's DRZ400SM with dirt wheels on it had a nasty headshake on it until they rebalanced the wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MotoMind posted:

Debatable. The DRZ's lack of refinement takes some points away. I rode a DRZ with knobbies vs my WR250R with knobbies on the highway back to back and the DRZ had some latent headshake above 65-70. My WR250R has always be totally composed on-road, and doesn't feel terrible when you have it running at redline if you gear low, and cruises fine on stock gearing as well.

Knobbies + Dirt fender = headshake on the DRZ at highway speed. Its not the "lack of refinement".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Knobbies + Dirt fender = headshake on the DRZ at highway speed. Its not the "lack of refinement".

Yeah the lack of refinement is everywhere else :v:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
"Lack of refinement" is pretty much me IRL so I'm glad I got my DRZ. :getin:

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

JP Money posted:

Check on SupermotoJunkie, ThumperTalk, etc. forums for conversion parts. You also have the option of using your stock hubs and relacing to 17 inch hoops for the wheels to save a bit of cash over buying a new set entirely. Not sure if retaining dirt ability matters or not. There's usually plenty of people out there that buy parts for this big conversion they have planned in their mind and then they flake out and sell it cheap. Might save you some cash in the long run vs. buying one pre-made kit of every little part.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. First step is getting the stupid thing plated. I have a street title from the previous owner, VIN inspection and everything, but the lady at the registry still wouldn't let me switch to another street title in my name. She said the previous owners street title must have been a mistake. I think my slip up was saying "dual-sport" because she immediately started going on about how you can't register dirt bikes. I didn't figure it'd be this much work in a state like Wyoming, we're pretty laissez faire about most regulations. I might just try again tomorrow and hope I get someone else.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If they already let it through to be registered just go to someone else tomorrow and try again. Don't say anything to them more than you need to imo.

I think if someone already did all the legwork with plating it once it'll be hard for them to renege on that.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

JP Money posted:

If they already let it through to be registered just go to someone else tomorrow and try again. Don't say anything to them more than you need to imo.

I think if someone already did all the legwork with plating it once it'll be hard for them to renege on that.

The only problem is that there is only one office to register it in town and the lady I spoke with also informed me she'd be sending an email to the rest of her office "just to make sure we're all on the same page". I might head 30 miles over and try there but I can't think of a good excuse for why I'm not registering near home.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If it's a legal title I can't see how they can reject you based on one employee's feelings on the matter. I'd try again as it's unlikely she really sent out an APB about your bike in particular. If she's there again and causes trouble just ask for her manager or something. I'm sure they can get you straightened out.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

JP Money posted:

If it's a legal title I can't see how they can reject you based on one employee's feelings on the matter. I'd try again as it's unlikely she really sent out an APB about your bike in particular. If she's there again and causes trouble just ask for her manager or something. I'm sure they can get you straightened out.

I ended up having to talk to the supervisor, and then her supervisor, the guy in charge of licensing compliance for the entire state. What he explained to me was that around 2008 there was a major push to standardize regulations across the entire country. Current rules for Wyoming, and a lot of the others is that if it was once an off road motorcycle it can not get a street title, regardless of any modifications to make the vehicle "street legal".

All's well that ends well though, 4 hours or so later I did end up getting my street title for it, but I'm not going to go into how.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Would you mind elaborating on how you got the street title again? I'm in kind of the same situation where one of my bikes is in limbo and the DMV is being weird about giving me a street title. The bike in question is a KLR250 which is factory plated, but the previous owner registered it as an off-highway vehicle then non-opped it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Theres always this, which works and is cheap

http://www.2strokeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10002.0

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

yergacheffe posted:

Would you mind elaborating on how you got the street title again? I'm in kind of the same situation where one of my bikes is in limbo and the DMV is being weird about giving me a street title. The bike in question is a KLR250 which is factory plated, but the previous owner registered it as an off-highway vehicle then non-opped it.

You already have a leg up on me because your bike was factory plated and most likely has a VIN sticker on the frame saying it meets federal safety standards and all that. They should be able to look up the original title or MSO, either of which should be enough for them to see it was originally a street vehicle, regardless of the retarded previous owner. Just be persistent.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
While we're on the topic, the bike I'm working on was a street legal enduro in the 70's. I scraped off the sticker on the neck to repaint but kept it on a piece of cardboard. Will inspection require I have that sticker on there, or will it be fine to bring it in and show that the VIN matches?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

When I had my bike done here, the guy just gave me the sticker and I put it in a ziplock under the passenger seat with my other papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Smile posted:

You already have a leg up on me because your bike was factory plated and most likely has a VIN sticker on the frame saying it meets federal safety standards and all that. They should be able to look up the original title or MSO, either of which should be enough for them to see it was originally a street vehicle, regardless of the retarded previous owner. Just be persistent.

Thanks, guess I'll just try nagging some more the next time I go to the DMV. I figured it should've been easy to register again since it was factory plated and was surprised to get trouble over it. Hopefully the next time will go better and this isn't just a case of California being California about it. Otherwise, I guess I'll try to plate it from Vermont haha.

• Locked thread