Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Patter Song posted:

The World Stage website is now down. Those of you that didn't already grab World Stage might be out of luck.

Aw shucks :saddowns:

Is this the end of Paradox letting modders make games off their engine? I'd hate to see it end like this. I think the modders just need to be vetted more. Maybe some kind of psychological exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I'm sure the potential successes (Like Darkest Hour) more than outweigh the risks involved.

After all, its not like Paradox aren't willing to cancel something that wont work anymore.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Actually, there is still a working link to the demo;

http://www.world-stage.net/Downloads/Demo.aspx

Click the link there and after a few hours you'll have 500 MB of crap.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrProsek posted:

Actually, there is still a working link to the demo;

http://www.world-stage.net/Downloads/Demo.aspx

Click the link there and after a few hours you'll have 500 MB of crap.

The site seems to be back in general. Guess he was just overwhelmed by the number of people trying to download this masterpiece.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Patter Song posted:

The site seems to be back in general. Guess he was just overwhelmed by the number of people trying to download this masterpiece.

Someone must be watching this thread because now the link I provided is down too :(. Paradox why are you trying to suppress this work of art, are you afraid?

(NOTE: This is a joke)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Do I get rights to the Clausewitz engine if I download the demo? I've always wanted to be a game developer.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Keisari posted:

Do I get rights to the Clausewitz engine if I download the demo? I've always wanted to be a game developer.
Only until the next person downloads it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Don't worry Keisari, I'll be able to get you the rights to Clausewitz as soon as my lawsuit to give me sole ownership of Steam goes through and I'll have all the moneys ever! I mean, I don't recall the Steam EULA saying I DON'T own Steam....

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Westminster System posted:

I'm sure the potential successes (Like Darkest Hour) more than outweigh the risks involved.

After all, its not like Paradox aren't willing to cancel something that wont work anymore.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they've said (Maybe even in this thread) that whatever problems MMtG caused, they've had a lot of success with things like Darkest Hour and don't plan on stopping the policy itself. I do imagine they'll be a bit choosier though.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ZearothK posted:

Pretty much, here are the juicier bits translated by a human machine.
I'm a Porchageese, too :eng99:

Didn't Ubik never have any rights to anything? I mean, his entire company was created by Paradox and they just gave all this poo poo to him for free and for a specific reason. Does Ubik even have a controlling interest over "his" company?

Fister Roboto posted:

Jomini Engine would be more apt, wouldn't it?
I still kinda miss the decisions from V1 (or was it VIP?) that let you choose which tech route you went down. You could favor Jomini over Clausewitz and deal with that poo poo, etc.

ThePutty posted:

Still holding out that snake Bohemia/Poland/Lithuania won't happen in EU4. Maybe Wiz will work his magic on the AI.
Isn't this a direct product of tribal horde forever wars? I should hope that this poo poo won't be in EU4. It never made sense to begin with. It always felt like a "Well, we don't know what else to do with them" kind of thing.

I'm also afraid of clicking on the new EU4 DD because Anna Karenina. I had to read that poo poo in three days in college. Not even once.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Turns out that when your country consists of one lightly-defended city under siege and in terrible danger of annexation, you're an underdog in trade.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Turns out that when your country consists of one lightly-defended city under siege and in terrible danger of annexation, you're an underdog in trade.

I'm surprised that Ubik didn't use a set of similarly obscure adjectives to describe the blockade level.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Patter Song posted:

I love how all the incredibly important variables in World Stage are only expressed with vague adjectives.

Was the mod Magna Mundi actually any good, or was it just good in that it fixed some of the problems with early-mid EUIII that Paradox later fixed themselves? People seem to be saying the latter.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

brocretin posted:

Was the mod Magna Mundi actually any good, or was it just good in that it fixed some of the problems with early-mid EUIII that Paradox later fixed themselves? People seem to be saying the latter.

Even up to HTTT, Magna Mundi improved on vanilla in a lot of ways. It had a pretty good concept behind it (make EU3 behave in more historically-plausible ways) and integrated lots of different features that improved the game in various ways. It also included a few terrible and/or very poorly-implemented features (FRAMED!, three different piracy systems, pointless province decision micromanagement, etc.). Not coincidentally, those tended to be the features Ubik was individually responsible for (most of the good parts of Magna Mundi were the work of other people, Ubik just gets credit for integrating and managing everything).

That said, even at its best it could be a bit of a bloated mess. I played Magna Mundi over vanilla for quite some time, but nowadays I vastly prefer Wiz's EU3+ and would really have a hard time going back to Magna Mundi.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

This. I posted about in the old thread, but he literally used to keep a file of quotes on anyone who criticized him or Magna Mundi and would mock them in a special thread on the Paradox forums.

I can't even imagine the legal smackdown that is winding up in Sweden.

Magan Mundi Sucks!! :allears:

I'm honored to have been quoted in that thread.

Riso posted:

Paradox gamers are not grognards :colbert:

They existed. The general population certainly wasn't, but if you played a shitload of HoI2 back in the day as I did, you'd probably have seen the works of a one Blue Emu who is as close to a grognard as any paradox gamer will ever be.

Hyord fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 5, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is there a recommended beginner's guide to EU3?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

elf help book posted:

Is there a recommended beginner's guide to EU3?

If you're not adverse to LPs this is a really good beginners guide by our very own Kersch.

http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

brocretin posted:

I love how all the incredibly important variables in World Stage are only expressed with vague adjectives.

The faction and HRE stuff were some pretty good ideas. Pretty much most other stuff was tedious crap.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Flython posted:

If you're not adverse to LPs this is a really good beginners guide by our very own Kersch.

http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/

No problem with LPs if they are good ones, that's cool with me. Thanks.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

James The 1st posted:

The faction and HRE stuff were some pretty good ideas. Pretty much most other stuff was tedious crap.
I think Helius made the HRE stuff and yeah, it was pretty great.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

brocretin posted:

Everything that was taken from all the other mini mods was fantastic. the HRE mod Sacra Romanum Imperium was fantastic, the religious mod Dei Gratia was excellent, Strannik's map made the game pretty, and numerous other little things made the mod pretty revolutionary when it was first released, if not a bit of a bloated mess.

Now that nothing it does is revolutionary anymore, its just a bloated mess.

Paradox definitely took a LOT of their improvements in expansions from ideas that were in Magna Mundi. This is not to say Ubik has contributed anything to EU3, because all the GOOD work from Magna Mundi was done by people like dharper and Helius.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
So I'm playing EUIII+ as Italy and have been best buddies in the whole wide world with Burgundy for quite some time. I'm due to have a personal union with them that'll make the rest of the game laughably easy in a couple of months. Should I console command up an heir to their throne, or begin my ascent into stupid-high levels of power? (I kind of want to focus on conquering the Balkans and wiping out the last bits of Catholicism there rather than just conquering everything)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

James The 1st posted:

The religious/reformation events were neat too, I helped on them a bit before it was part of MMtM.

Dunno if this was noticed amid the stuff I can't talk about, but the paradox webshop has HoD steam codes for sale now, although of course it won't activate until the 16th.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Will I get extra paradox cred if I buy the code through you guys?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Baloogan posted:

You get to own the game engine.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

brocretin posted:

Early Magna Mundi was alright. Magna Mundi Platinum was only playable when Wiz rebuilt it from the ground up and released it as fun2mmp (under protestation and cries of "Plagiarism!" from ubik). Keep in mind that Magna Mundi started from humble origins as an aggregate of smaller, sensible mods. I don't even think ubik started it, he just kind of force projected himself onto the top of the heap because who cares about this stuff?

Darkrenown posted:

Dunno if this was noticed amid the stuff I can't talk about, but the paradox webshop has HoD steam codes for sale now, although of course it won't activate until the 16th.
Eeeeexcellent... Smithers, prepare the viewing glass! Heat the Jiffy Pop!

Shorter Than Some posted:

You get the rights to Clausewitz 2 signed over to you in perpetuity. Enjoy your royalties from EU4 and The Old Gods, you lucky dog.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Patter Song posted:

To be fair, that system isn't really a bad idea. The modifier is based on how many merchants you have out (unless they changed it), so it helps level the playing field a bit. Considering the problem of power often accumulating too quickly in EU3, I think systems such as that make a lot of sense. More so because that system adds bonuses to the little guy, not maluses to the big guys, which just feels better to the player. I guess you could similarly add a bunch of manpower and tax to the capital city of any state, which for small states could be a hefty bonus, but larger states don't really benefit much from it.

Hyord posted:

Now that nothing it does is revolutionary anymore, its just a bloated mess.
I wouldn't necessarily call it a bloated mess, but it's certainly much less of an improvement than it was. Helps that the current iteration is being run by a new crew, who seem a bit less anal. I guess it also helps having gotten used to the idiosyncrasies of the mod when it was a more definite improvement, can't say if it's worth it to get into nowadays. (Not to mention with EU4 around the corner.)

Hyord posted:

Paradox definitely took a LOT of their improvements in expansions from ideas that were in Magna Mundi. This is not to say Ubik has contributed anything to EU3, because all the GOOD work from Magna Mundi was done by people like dharper and Helius.
Which makes Magna Mundi the Game World Stage even more hosed, because Paradox had basically shown them what they should have done, just with the slightly more complex bits of the mod.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Early Magna Mundi was alright. Magna Mundi Platinum was only playable when Wiz rebuilt it from the ground up and released it as fun2mmp (under protestation and cries of "Plagiarism!" from ubik). Keep in mind that Magna Mundi started from humble origins as an aggregate of smaller, sensible mods. I don't even think ubik started it, he just kind of force projected himself onto the top of the heap because who cares about this stuff?

Actually, just this once, it wasn't Wiz who created a good Paradox mod. It was Riso. I remember ubik becoming absolutely LIVID about someone daring to excise his cancerous 'contributions' from Magna Mundi, to the point where he threatened legal action. It was absolutely ridiculous, and of course nothing came of it. As always with him.

Although in hindsight, if you apply ubik-logic here... Wouldn't the release of fun2mmp have made Riso the owner of Magna Mundi (the mod)? He's not even good at playing by his own, arbitrary rules.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gimmick Account posted:

Actually, just this once, it wasn't Wiz who created a good Paradox mod. It was Riso. I remember ubik becoming absolutely LIVID about someone daring to excise his cancerous 'contributions' from Magna Mundi, to the point where he threatened legal action. It was absolutely ridiculous, and of course nothing came of it. As always with him.

Although in hindsight, if you apply ubik-logic here... Wouldn't the release of fun2mmp have made Riso the owner of Magna Mundi (the mod)? He's not even good at playing by his own, arbitrary rules.

Yeah the hilarious thing about fun2mmp is that the main thing it did was remove Ubik's work.

ps.

Frionnel posted:

Click Wallpapers on that page for a surpriiiiiise!

I told you all it's all about the wallpaper, but did you listen? No!

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 5, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
One thing to remember is that EUIII as it currently exists is very literally a different game then release date EUIII 1.0. I don't want to say it was 'bad', but it was unbalanced, insanely blobby, lacking the vast majority of features it has now, and was about as historically plausible as Renaissance Risk. I doubt we will EVER see another Paradox game change as much as EUIII changed from 1.0 to the current 5.2 beta.

For a while some of the big overhaul mods like MM did provide a serious improvement over vanilla gameplay, but with all the expansions improving the game immeasurably, and the fact that the longer the big mods exist the more bloated and overdeveloped they get, I think they're pretty unnecessary/undesirable now.

Shorter Than Some posted:

I'm formally declaring Clauzwitz to be Open Source. Paradox never explicitly said I couldn't, so I can. No takebacks. I'm starting a new project as Idea Guy. Who wants to be my coder? I'll also need a couple graphics guys and event scripters.

Zybourne Universalis.

EDIT: Imagine four factroys on the edge of a cliff...

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 5, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

When the mod enters the timestream, EU begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four factroys on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the factroy nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of factroys and takes the place of the first factroy. The formerly first factroy becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Ubik works the same way.

(edited to match up with Fintilgin)

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 5, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Riso made fun2mmp? Oh dip, my bad. (In my defense, I'm on some pretty heavy painkillers from some dentalwork.) I better remember the time that came after, when practically everyone in this thread had their own EU3 mod. I still wish MiscMods and Fantasyland were being brought into the great leap forward. I'd kill for crazy bullshit scenarios like that right off the bat in EU4.

Did I get the "didn't reuse code" part right? I (think I) remember that it was something of a point of honor that no line of code was actually being reused from MMP.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I better remember the time that came after, when practically everyone in this thread had their own EU3 mod.

Some of us still have our own eu3 mod :colbert:

It's hilariously unbalanced, but if I restrain myself I can avoid taking over the world as Antilles.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Baloogan posted:

Since the fun jokes are used already I'll just go serious answer: Nope, it's just a pre-order for a steam code. You get a copy of V1 complete thrown in for good measure, but that's it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm just going to continue assuming Ubik is completely batfuck crazy, but this post from a former MM team member implies something was funny or wrong about the contract:

quote:

The contract was in English and at least from the one I originally saw, which may not have been the actual one, PI's lawyers dropped the ball with a copy-paste contract from likely Majesty. In fact, I originally spotted it, the irony of which is not lost on me, given how the die was cast. And now it is going to cause further grief. I doubt it's a serious attempt at a commercial release, but rather an attempt to build recognition and support other goals such as building a track record to attract private investment in his new project (see Page 6 of http://www.ccdr-alg.pt/ccdr/paramete...os_Fev2013.pdf), but I could be wrong. Maybe he is going to make a go of it.

A little weird that the link to the 'demo' hasn't been killed from the forum if it is, as seems probable, flat out copyright infringement. :iiam:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Darkrenown posted:

Since the fun jokes are used already I'll just go serious answer: Nope, it's just a pre-order for a steam code. You get a copy of V1 complete thrown in for good measure, but that's it.
Actually, I have a relevant question: is HoD getting a non-Steam release? I got my copy of Vicky 2 and AHD off of Amazon and they're non-Steamworks versions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

"Our Most Reasonable Demands" vs. "Their Outrageous Extortions" is both an excellent aping of how Paradox games tend to present themselves to the player, and also encapsulates Ubik's perspective with stunning precision.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Well Paradox should have known better than to deal with Ubik after all of the threats of legal action against people like Riso who altered his mod.

I didn't manage to get a copy of his demo, and I'd like to mess around with it. Can someone mediafire it or something? I don't mind that if I play it I am signing over the rights to my computer's operating system.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Actually, I have a relevant question: is HoD getting a non-Steam release? I got my copy of Vicky 2 and AHD off of Amazon and they're non-Steamworks versions.
It's on GG as a non-Steam version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

James The 1st posted:

It's on GG as a non-Steam version.

You can also download it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-II-H...art+of+darkness
Which is probably what I'll do.

• Locked thread