Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hey ain't Vriska prophesied to cause unfathomable destruction?

Anyone think webcomic characters can fathom the idea of destroying the website of the comic they're in? :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kazy posted:

What if he falls in? :ohdear:

Don't you get it? If he falls in that thing, he will have always been there

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Don't you get it? If he falls in that thing, he will have always been there

It's pretty obvious what Lord English did with it.

He was already here.

Seoinin posted:

Hey ain't Vriska prophesied to cause unfathomable destruction?

Anyone think webcomic characters can fathom the idea of destroying the website of the comic they're in? :unsmigghh:

No, that's when Caliborn takes the crowbar to the tower again :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tumblr makes weird things sometimes.

source

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
This update is crazy and all, but John's hand reaching for the Doritos was much funnier to me than it should have been.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

You're missing one important bit here: John accidentally poked Vriska's stinger horn. He is Vriskapoisoned now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Color Printer posted:

It's pretty obvious what Lord English did with it.

He was already here.

Is there any chance he hasn't done that yet, and Kurloz or someone else is actually going to steal the thing here and now in order to make the Cairo Overcoat and let Caliborn do his Already Here thing in the first place? There was a lot of speculation that Vriska and friends were being suckered into this treasure hunt, after all.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

lotus circle posted:

Not that this isn't funny, but I don't see how John can drastically alter the timeline by randomly sticking his hands through several random panels.

You'd be surprised how effective a good ticklin' can be, both for weakening foes and boosting the morale of friends.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popo posted:

VRISKA: This is a very powerful juju. You'd 8e messing with some forces we don't fully understand.
ARADIA: sounds like a dare to me

Aradia, you so awesome.

Aradia's tired of waiting for things to break apart, she's going to help speed things up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Oh hey! 's been a while since the last recap, huh? Thanks John.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Blackheart posted:

You're missing one important bit here: John accidentally poked Vriska's stinger horn. He is Vriskapoisoned now.

And now he'll turn into a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat with no real understanding of the larger scope of things! :ohdear:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I wonder if the panels will go back to normal when he takes his arm out.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Freudian posted:

And now he'll turn into a self-absorbed rear end in a top hat with no real understanding of the larger scope of things! :ohdear:

oh my god, he'll become a teenager

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I love this comic so loving much. :allears:

I wish I could erase my memory of Homestuck and read it for the first time again so I could be confused by all those arms.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Can't wait until John pulls his arm out and Hussie has to go back and replace all those panels again. The things he does for his metafiction!

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

Scale Model Giant posted:

a gag, not a major loving plot point.

Aren't these two things often actually the same thing in Homestuck?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Wow. Postmodernist as gently caress.

I might actually email my old Postmodernism professor about this and see what he thinks about it.

Retconing the story as a means of progressing the story is a pretty crazy narrative device.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
Oh christ, I don't care how many metas happen, just resolve the plot already.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
I can't decide if I want the arms to stay or not. On the one hand (hah) it makes sense that if they didn't appear until John stuck his arm into the cursor, then when he takes it back out they'll disappear again. On the other hand I'm laughing hysterically at the idea of future archive readers being confronted with random unexplained arms through four years' worth of comic.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

When stuff like this happens, what I love the most is reading fans who go "No this is literally too ridiculous even for Homestuck I'm out!". I mean, really?

(Not directed at anyone in particular.)

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Boneless Jogger posted:

This update is crazy and all, but John's hand reaching for the Doritos was much funnier to me than it should have been.

John high-fiving AR was my favorite. :hf::jihad:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Fun Fact: There are 52 changed pages!
Fun Fact 2: Four times thirteen is 52!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

KaosMachina posted:

Fun Fact: There are 52 changed pages!
Fun Fact 2: Four times thirteen is 52!

Fun Fact 3: The montage of retconned pages is 4 pages long, with 13 panels on each page.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

krakagar posted:

John: Retrieve arms from webcomic

Hahahahahahha

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's pretty much guaranteed that the hands in the old panels will vanish when he pulls it back out.

I guess Archive Bullshit is more powerful than Time Bullshit. All John would need to do is just... sort of... reach inside and pull out Caliborn from before his plans got underway.

This is also secretly the method for defeating Koos forever.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Crain posted:

Wow. Postmodernist as gently caress.

I might actually email my old Postmodernism professor about this and see what he thinks about it.

Retconing the story as a means of progressing the story is a pretty crazy narrative device.

John Fowles' 1969 novel The French Lieutenant's Woman does this. The novel ends, and then the author steps into the story (as a narrator he's rather Hussie-like, sort of confrontational and sarcastic toward the reader and the characters) and he says, "You know, that ending was dumb. I'm going to try this again." So he retcons the ending. Then retcons it again for good measure, and basically says "Well, choose whichever ending you like the best, I'm out."

That said, I don't think this is going to be a "true" retcon. Dolash's post seems on-point to me: the narrative of the comic thus far follows the "Alpha timeline" that results in the antagonist existing, and the characters now have a way to (perhaps) influence that narrative/timeline in a way that still requires them to have followed the Alpha timeline this far.

This also throws totally into question whose disembodied white hand moved that cake.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Thundarr posted:

It's pretty much guaranteed that the hands in the old panels will vanish when he pulls it back out.

I guess Archive Bullshit is more powerful than Time Bullshit. All John would need to do is just... sort of... reach inside and pull out Caliborn from before his plans got underway.

So just like he removed the tumor from the battlefield.

He will remove the tumor from the alpha timeline.

He really is a doctor. Also, cancer symbolism.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Maybe this is how Lord English is always already here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mother of god.

It's Neon Ice Cream Headache.

I think Homestuck has now referenced (in a plot-relevant way) every work Hussie has written before.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001982 posted:

The game presently eluding you is only the latest sleight of hand in the repertoire of an unseen riddler, one to engender a sense not of mirth, but of lack.

John's arm is the unseen riddler. It's him.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So, let me see if I've got this straight: the current plan is to telekinetically move a plot hole into a position where it can un-self-insert the villain from the story.

Well it's original if nothing else.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I really love the idea of this but I'm not sure how to feel about the arms floating by the title. The rest of the arms are hidden enough to pique interest and get a new reader wondering but the arm flying by the title just sort of...messes with the scene, I guess. It's too apparent.

I also wish that Andrew had come up with this idea earlier because it's like a perfect thing to read serially and see a lot of speculation about the arm, and whose arm is that, where else have we seen the arm, stuff like that. I still really do love this whole sequence though!!

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
I'm still holding out for Hussie to give us multiple endings like in Waynes World. :allears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Thundarr posted:

But... I don't understand. Why on earth would you want to do that?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

and that was gotten out of the way fast

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

FunkyAl posted:

I really love the idea of this but I'm not sure how to feel about the arms floating by the title. The rest of the arms are hidden enough to pique interest and get a new reader wondering but the arm flying by the title just sort of...messes with the scene, I guess. It's too apparent.

I also wish that Andrew had come up with this idea earlier because it's like a perfect thing to read serially and see a lot of speculation about the arm, and whose arm is that, where else have we seen the arm, stuff like that. I still really do love this whole sequence though!!

No, you're missing the point. This is integral to the story. The entire point hammered home again and again is that Paradox Space sets the rules. There is the Alpha Timeline and if you deviate from it then gently caress you. Lord English is the king of it and he's unbeatable because paradox space guarantees his ascension and rule.

John just changed the Alpha Timeline.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

FunkyAl posted:

It's also small enough to be mistaken for a cloud or a bird or some poo poo. It's apparent but obscure enough that some people will notice it and dismiss it within a few seconds and most will not even really notice it, they'll be focus on the text.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

team overhead smash posted:

No, you're missing the point. This is integral to the story. The entire point hammered home again and again is that Paradox Space sets the rules. There is the Alpha Timeline and if you deviate from it then gently caress you. Lord English is the king of it and he's unbeatable because paradox space guarantees his ascension and rule.

This sounds like the best explanation for the JuJu actually and drat it makes a lot of sense. Doc Scratch always said that the Alpha Timeline was something he had mastery of because it had his life and his death and both of those things are tied in Lord English's existence in Paradox Space. That's how he gets to entering. A JuJu that can alter the timeline in a way that won't obliterate it is the perfect weapon against someone who has coordinated a single timeline of misery. The One True Timeline and the timeline that ends with him being unbeatable unless you cheat.

Frankly beating a cheater by cheating against him sounds like the perfect way to take him down.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

But... I don't understand. Why on earth would you want to do that?

I didn't say it was *my* plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

team overhead smash posted:

Exactly this. This isn't something Hussie should've been adding to the comic on the way up to this point, this is explicitly John reaching back and adding himself right now, at this moment. John is the author of this action.

Well okay except not literally since you know John still isn't real, but in the metafictional sense.