Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm pretty bad at consistently breaking monster parts. I primarily use dual swords or hammer. Talk me into another weapon class, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ Lance, or Greatsword.

Machai posted:

First, slime is not an element, it is a status. In the case of the Dios SA, you deal slime in both modes and in sword mode you get +25% raw power. For status damage, imagine the monster has a separate health bar for each status. Once you deplete this separate health bar, they are afflicted with the status.

Elemental Phials give a raw damage bonus equal to 25% of the weapon's elemental damage. Ex: 1000raw/100fire SA in sword mode would be 1025raw/100 fire.
Wait.... what? Are you certain it doesn't add 25% of the element damage to the ELEMENT damage?

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mcpringles posted:

If you only want to use hammers then your best bet is to play online and let others worry about the tail.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to find a cutting weapon I like. Hammer's a loving boss, but not being able to cut tails in single player (not doing multi until I have a full farm and fishery, damnit!) makes my OCD twitch.

I never really gave dual swords a fair go after Great Jaggi, so I'll try them again tonight.

(edit) gently caress ranged weapons though, I'm not playing this game to hunt from a distance! :black101:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm pretty bad at consistently breaking monster parts. I primarily use dual swords or hammer. Talk me into another weapon class, goons.

I like the longsword. It's maneuverable and has good reach, plus the thrashing around with spirit combo breaks all sorts of stuff.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

i am tim! posted:

I like the longsword. It's maneuverable and has good reach, plus the thrashing around with spirit combo breaks all sorts of stuff.

Honestly. If you want a solo weapon that's not a lance, I'd say Long Swords are a good candidate. They don't require the timing other weapons do, have great damage and reach too.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
Had a helluva time soloing Alatreon, in all the videos people show he never seemed to stay in the air quite like he did with me. Bastard was flying around for like 90% of the fight. He'd land long enough to yell at me then fly again got old real fast.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Long Sword.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Plank posted:

I've never sat and attacked nothing but the tail until the monster died, but I've done a few fights where I've tried to prioritise the tail over any other part. Is the problem that I'm shelling it or hitting it with Wyvern Fire rather than stabs and slashes? I find no matter what I do I seem to kill most things before I get a break, unless they're super loving tough like a Duramboros.

Yeah, you need to hit it with stabs and slashes. By the way, don't use shelling as your primary form of attack, use it when you have an opprutunity to shoot where you wouldn't be able to attack normally, or to chain combos together.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of longsword, how much of a damage buff are the spirit auras actually worth?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's not such a big deal. After a while you'll learn what you need - and what you DON'T need - for a quest. No need for those tranq bombs and traps if you're just mining poo poo.

Oh, I've got my head wrapped around preparation. It's largely just that I love farming the everloving poo poo out of a zone. Doesn't matter what kind of quest it is. I want more space so I can just take home more arbitrary harvest loot.

SubliminalTomato
Dec 24, 2007
Inconsistent in everything but quality.
Okay I know this has been argued into the ground in previous threads, but I never saw it brought up. It's generally accepted that you should go for attack up L over affinity, but when I was using certain armor/weapon combos, it's possible to get your affinity to %70.

Here's the math
.70 x 1.25 = .875 <- represents number of hits that are crits
+
.30 x 1 = .30 <- represents non-crits
=
%100 strikes even out to 1.175 multiplier

Now,the only way to get affinity this high in MHP3 (I don't have a Wii U or 3ds) is to use an armor with Reckless abandon and use talismans/gems to get up to to +3, then use a Narga weapon. Unless my math is wrong, this would set Shadow of the Moon's average damage at 229 and change. Is there some sort of diminishing returns for affinity beyond a certain percent? Am I doing my math wrong? I'm assuming I am. I only bring this up because I've never seen someone address affinity math over %30, even after some moderate googling and reading several SA Monster Hunter threads.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Question about talismans. I've only just opened up the Flooded Forest, and I'm getting these rinkydink talismans for rewards. Right now they're all only adding +1 or +2 to various attributes. Should I be hanging on to these for any reason or just selling them outright, as they seem to have somewhat pointless modifiers?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
If it's a skill that's good,or fits into some armor skill it's worth keeping until you get can something better. If it has a slot it can come in handy if you're setting decorations at all.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nothing I've gotten has slots so far and the only one that I think has any value is a +2 slime. The only reason I suspect it has any value is because of how much I've seen it venerated in this thread. I was wondering if they could be hung on to, and then be used in crafting somehow to be improved or used to improve the modifiers of better talismans, but I'm guessing that's not an option. So, if a talisman is genuinely poo poo, I should probably just sell it.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Bought the Wii U version yesterday, enjoying it a lot.
However, I decided to just chance the charm table thing because changing system settings looked like too much work. I thoroughly regret that now, starting the game and going through the starter quests took ages for me, on top of waiting for the fish voyages. And I think I ended up with one of the worst tables anyways. But I'm way too tired and invested now to start over ._.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

5er posted:

Nothing I've gotten has slots so far and the only one that I think has any value is a +2 slime. The only reason I suspect it has any value is because of how much I've seen it venerated in this thread. I was wondering if they could be hung on to, and then be used in crafting somehow to be improved or used to improve the modifiers of better talismans, but I'm guessing that's not an option. So, if a talisman is genuinely poo poo, I should probably just sell it.
Yeah mostly. There's a some skills that are easy to gem, so having only a +2 charm can bump you into activating the skill; it all just depends.

Having a page or 2 for just charms in your box. Kept away from cluttering your other pages can be worthwhile. When you ever want to change your charms, goto the box option for View Talismans and it's easier to see them.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of longsword, how much of a damage buff are the spirit auras actually worth?

Red is ~1.2x damage, yellow ~1.1x, and white 1.05~. These stack with the spirit buff you get for a few moments after filling the meter, which is ~1.13x. Numbers are from portable3rd. They may have changed slightly, but the bonuses are substantial. Even yellow and maintaining your full meter buff is very good.

SubliminalTomato posted:

Okay I know this has been argued into the ground in previous threads, but I never saw it brought up. It's generally accepted that you should go for attack up L over affinity
This doesn't have to do with affinity having exponential growth or something. It was always about whether or not affinity was any good in the first place. Historically, it never mattered how high you could get your affinity. ANYTHING thing you could do with higher affinity would yield better results with Atk Up Lg. I think affinity scales with sharpness, however, so a purple blade will get a few more affinity from the same armor skill points than a white or blue, but the same happened in Freedom Unite, and Affinity still wasn't as good as Atk Up Lg.

I'm not doing the math myself, but make sure that when figure the absolute damage bonus when using Atk Up Lg on the lucent narga weapon you don't forget to apply that 50% affinity it already has. That is, 20x1.125x(weapon modifier)=average damage bonus. Then and compare that to the average bonus from stacking affinity. Remember, affinity ALSO benefits attack up large, so a high affinity weapon will benefit more from Atk Up Lg than it will from more affinity. You may be right, but I'm just saying that there have never been a case where affinity was better than more raw damage, whether it was already on the weapon, or activated through armor skills.

I should mention that a lot of calculations may not figure things like demondrugs, might seeds, horn buffs, or better yet, Power Pills. Since all but the horn buff is a flat damage bonus (modified by weapon class), they will all be proportionally larger with higher affinity, and the Lucent Narga weapon may already have such a high raw and affinity that all of these stacked can edge out a bit more attack. We're talking about a single solitary example, which might only work for the duration of a Power Pill, which is like 20 seconds. Not something to ignore, since 20 seconds of the highest damage possible, is a LOT of damage when you're talking about something like a paralyzed/trapped monster (it is fixed in place, and takes bonus damage for duration of the status effect).

vvv and temporary.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 5, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Challenger+2 is better than both attack up large and affinity, because it's both. :smug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Excepting for how often you have to use a whetstone, does a long green sharpness bar have any different effect from a shorter one?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Ciaphas posted:

Excepting for how often you have to use a whetstone, does a long green sharpness bar have any different effect from a shorter one?

That is about it as far as I understand.

Edit: Maybe allows you to get to a higher sharpness class if you have sharp +1.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Lizard Wizard posted:

Greatswords. They're swords that are great. That's all you need to know.

SubliminalTomato
Dec 24, 2007
Inconsistent in everything but quality.

Kiggles posted:

Red is ~1.2x damage, yellow ~1.1x, and white 1.05~. These stack with the spirit buff you get for a few moments after filling the meter, which is ~1.13x. Numbers are from portable3rd. They may have changed slightly, but the bonuses are substantial. Even yellow and maintaining your full meter buff is very good.
This doesn't have to do with affinity having exponential growth or something. It was always about whether or not affinity was any good in the first place. Historically, it never mattered how high you could get your affinity. ANYTHING thing you could do with higher affinity would yield better results with Atk Up Lg. I think affinity scales with sharpness, however, so a purple blade will get a few more affinity from the same armor skill points than a white or blue, but the same happened in Freedom Unite, and Affinity still wasn't as good as Atk Up Lg.

I'm not doing the math myself, but make sure that when figure the absolute damage bonus when using Atk Up Lg on the lucent narga weapon you don't forget to apply that 50% affinity it already has. That is, 20x1.125x(weapon modifier)=average damage bonus. Then and compare that to the average bonus from stacking affinity. Remember, affinity ALSO benefits attack up large, so a high affinity weapon will benefit more from Atk Up Lg than it will from more affinity. You may be right, but I'm just saying that there have never been a case where affinity was better than more raw damage, whether it was already on the weapon, or activated through armor skills.

That makes perfect sense! That's what I couldn't figure out. Thanks!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I just bought all the Dire Miralis weapons for blademaster because I couldn't decide which one was the best. I'm now broke and back to selling nulberries.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
and hats. Don't forget to sell hats.

Speaking of which, I saw Shepard recommend doing a certain combination of the crowns and gems, and crests, but that seems wrong. Does it not yield better results to just combine the red and yellow items, to sell the orange 6000z crown, and then sell the blue alone for 2000z. All of the odd combos with the red and blue to make green, then white, which only sell for 7000z. Anyway I slice it, it seems like you're missing out on AT LEAST 1000z by combining to the white crown item, and the green is only like 2000z anyway, so you're throwing away 1000z there, and another 1000z when you combine with the orange completed crowns.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Machai posted:

First, slime is not an element, it is a status.

Yeah I just misspoke. I didn't mean to suggest it was an "element" in the same sense of fire/ice/water/lightning. Type would have been a more accurate noun. I avoid calling it status as well due to the fact that it's unaffected by status skills/buffs

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I wish I understood how the minds of people playing this game online worked. I open a room with the name "Agnaktor" and the target "Agnaktor" and 3 people in a row join my game, check the quest board, see that I picked the Agnaktor quest, and then leave immediately.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Plank posted:

Any pro tips for Gunlance? I've done almost everything up to Fell the Lagiacrus (gently caress the Gigginoth in it's slimy leech rear end), and I love the X+A while holding R explosion that overheats your lance, but I can't seem to get a feel for its range/aoe. It's point blank, right? Sometimes Lagiacrus doesn't even flinch when I nail him in the face with it.

I did this for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DslNWk45noo

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Bland posted:

I wish I understood how the minds of people playing this game online worked. I open a room with the name "Agnaktor" and the target "Agnaktor" and 3 people in a row join my game, check the quest board, see that I picked the Agnaktor quest, and then leave immediately.

1. Pubbies are incredibly stupid.

2. They probably entered the room without seeing the target.

3. They also might have been Low Rank or High Rank or G Rank hunters who saw the Agnaktor target, but didn't see that you are in a lower / higher rank because you need to press a whole button to check the hunter rank of the person who created the room and that's too much effort.

4. Pubbies are incredibly lazy. I've been in a room, just got back from a quest when a pubbie joined while we were still on quest, and have them not say anything but put up a quest then get pissy when no-one joins their urgent that they want you to carry them through.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kiggles posted:

^^ Lance, or Greatsword.
Wait.... what? Are you certain it doesn't add 25% of the element damage to the ELEMENT damage?

SA guide

quote:

Element Phial (also known as Elemental Enhance): Adds a x1.25 boost to raw
damage based on your element power. Simply put, take 25% of your elemental
power (attack not included) and add it to your damage.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Original Damage Formula Guide

My guess is Hexecho incorrectly reproduced, or misunderstood the information derived from LG's guide, since earlier in that guide, the information is vague

quote:

| Note 2: For weapons with elemental vial: |
| use 1.25 variable for all attacks in Sword Mode.

However this is cleared up later when it explains when to plug in the 1.25 modifier into what part of the equation

quote:

VI: Switch Axe [VAR] = 1.25

This only applies if your switch axe has an attack or elemental vial. If
your weapon has an attack vial, use [VAR] = 1.25. In the case of the elemental
vial, also use 1.25, however you will be entering it into the elemental
damage portion instead of the raw damage portion of the formula.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 6, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can items be dropped off in your item box somehow mid-quest? Someone online implied that you could, which would be great for dumping all these sodding crystal bones which aren't machalite argh argh :argh:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ciaphas posted:

Can items be dropped off in your item box somehow mid-quest? Someone online implied that you could, which would be great for dumping all these sodding crystal bones which aren't machalite argh argh :argh:

Regular items, no. Luckily for you, crystal bones are account items, so you can drop them off at the red box in the campsite at any time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, better than a swift kick in the rear end, I suppose.

loving ores. At least killing giant monsters is interesting.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
In p3rd you had a one-time-per-quest service (via felyne rolling around on a barrel lumberjack style) who'd deliver items you got during a quest back to the village. So if you got a ruby and you wanted to abandon quest, you could send it off and still abandon. Shame they took it out from 3U. But any item with "account" in brackets in the item description can be dumped into the red box back at base for a small amount of zenni after the quest ends.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 6, 2013

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You doing these for all the weapons like you did for Portable 3RD?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ignimbrite posted:

In p3rd you had a one-time-per-quest service (via felyne rolling around on a barrel lumberjack style) who'd deliver items you got during a quest back to the village. So if you got a ruby and you wanted to abandon quest, you could send it off and still abandon. Shame they took it out from 3U. But any item with "account" in brackets in the item description can be dumped into the red box back at base for a small amount of zenni after the quest ends.

Or if you need space in your pouch, you can do it at any time to free up some room.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I meant that as "you'll get money after the quest ends from any items that you put in the red box during the quest", sorry if my wording made it seem like "deposit things in the red box only after the quest ends and you'll get money from it".

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That was awesome, thanks very much!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Trying to get two Nargacuga mantles will literally, literally kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I just wiped 48 minutes into Dire Mirialis. He just constantly snags me at weird angles with his movement and does too much damage for walking around so I can't hit any level 3 charges.

• Locked thread