Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

A Steampunk Gent posted:

is kickstarter actually becoming a significant participant and funding and publishing?

It did for independent film: http://www.npr.org/2013/01/25/170191605/for-would-be-sundancers-kickstarter-can-fuel-films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

gently caress it, upping to 150 for the Numenera companion. Gonna get that money somehow.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So, what's up with the ever-increasing final funding sums? Alot of people in this forum (myself included) have been predicting kickstarter fatigue and diminishing returns for InExile, but between Wasteland 2, then P:E and now Torment, the number of backers and level of support is still rising. Is this gonna peak anytime soon or is kickstarter actually becoming a significant participant and funding and publishing?

It very much depends on how the campaign is run - InXile did everything right in terms of not only the amount of information revealed, the frequent updates, the appealing reward tiers and stretch goals. In addition, it's a highly appealing concept and they already have a community around Wasteland and to a lesser extent Project Eternity. It's still the exception, not the rule, but the point is they're delivering what backers want and putting a huge amount of effort into delivering it how they want.

I think kickstarter fatigue is by and large an artifact of backers becoming more savvy with their expectations, but a lot of developers not really stepping up their game to match. So even though you might have big names, you can't rely on them if the pitch isn't up to a high standard as easily as say, Double Fine could. That said, it's offset by more and more people finding out about kickstarter with every successful project.

It's a number of factors involved and far from a known quantity, but that's always the case for a new business model like this.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So, what's up with the ever-increasing final funding sums? Alot of people in this forum (myself included) have been predicting kickstarter fatigue and diminishing returns for InExile, but between Wasteland 2, then P:E and now Torment, the number of backers and level of support is still rising. Is this gonna peak anytime soon or is kickstarter actually becoming a significant participant and funding and publishing?
It may slow down for a while. Wasteland/(old)Fallout, Baldurs Gate, and Torment were the trifecta of "OH MAN WHY DID THEY STOP MAKING THOSE" games.

Will probably see a bunch of hopeful but ill-fated attempts to do the same thing with lesser-known/wanted things.

We will also probably see a bunch of shell-company bullshit attempts from "real" publishers looking for free money any day now.

Even the Ultima Shroud of the Avatar kickstarter has limped along compared to these three.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

jivjov posted:

Well, it's feasible that we'll hit the 4.5 million, or come close enough that they'll give us the stretch goal anyway. Especially if they have a slacker backer option like P:E did.

This is the first kickstarter I've ever even looked at, so I don't really know much about how it all works. But wouldn't the game designers and publishers just go "Hey, we've already sold 4.25 million dollars worth of product. Why don't we just spend another 500k and try to sell more copies than we've already sold!" Wouldn't it make sense for someone other than initial consumers to invest in the product at this point, especially since the base game is already funded?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

FRINGE posted:

It may slow down for a while. Wasteland/(old)Fallout, Baldurs Gate, and Torment were the trifecta of "OH MAN WHY DID THEY STOP MAKING THOSE" games.

Will probably see a bunch of hopeful but ill-fated attempts to do the same thing with lesser-known/wanted things.

We will also probably see a bunch of shell-company bullshit attempts from "real" publishers looking for free money any day now.

Even the Ultima Shroud of the Avatar kickstarter has limped along compared to these three.

Eventually developers are going to run out of strong IPs they could hang their hats on and we'll see how it goes from there. It'll be interesting to see how inXile fares when they are relying on PE and Numenera to fund their sequels instead of Baldur's Gate and Torment.

Meanwhile despite being completely broke I'm trying to convince myself not to drop 25 dollars into this over the next half hour.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

This is the first kickstarter I've ever even looked at, so I don't really know much about how it all works. But wouldn't the game designers and publishers just go "Hey, we've already sold 4.25 million dollars worth of product. Why don't we just spend another 500k and try to sell more copies than we've already sold!" Wouldn't it make sense for someone other than initial consumers to invest in the product at this point, especially since the base game is already funded?

Virtually nobody is going to buy this game for a Stronghold feature that wasn't going to buy it anyway. It doesn't make sense for them to do that.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Oh hey, just ran across this thread after not having read it for several weeks, apparently I got in just under the wire. PS:T owned, pledged $25.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

The stretch goals aren't because it'll cost another 250k to add a fortress base. It's as an incentive to get people to up their pledges and rope other people in to meet the goal and get the fortress or whatever it is.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Nilbop posted:

Virtually nobody is going to buy this game for a Stronghold feature that wasn't going to buy it anyway. It doesn't make sense for them to do that.

My point was more about how this is probably a safer investment than most other games, but I guess what really matters is how many people aside from kickstarter pledges buy the game after release.
Oh and also if there's any other sources of funding for these things aside from initial consumers. I don't know anything about this setup. I just want a video game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I never played Planescape: Torment, but I liked the LP on the Archive. I was debating whether or not to drop money into a game that I won't see for 2 years (when I don't know what my life will be like), but I caved and decided to go for a $28 pledge anyway.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Rasczak posted:

Oh hey, just ran across this thread after not having read it for several weeks, apparently I got in just under the wire. PS:T owned, pledged $25.

Tell your friends!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Schurik posted:

Tell your friends!
Yeah but it better be within the next 25 mins...

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I never played Planescape: Torment, but I liked the LP on the Archive. I was debating whether or not to drop money into a game that I won't see for 2 years (when I don't know what my life will be like), but I caved and decided to go for a $28 pledge anyway.

What's stopping you from playing planescape now? It's still awesome at what it's good at (story) and awful at what it's bad at (combat).

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I've tried to make an animated gif of all the labyrinth fathoms but I'm terrible at this. :smith:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Masonity posted:

What's stopping you from playing planescape now? It's still awesome at what it's good at (story) and awful at what it's bad at (combat).

My backlog of 50+ games that I've already bought and never finished. I've got a ton of other games I want to buy too, like Bioshock Infinite, but with my money situation, the only games I was intending to buy this year were Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

My backlog of 50+ games that I've already bought and never finished. I've got a ton of other games I want to buy too, like Bioshock Infinite, but with my money situation, the only games I was intending to buy this year were Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin.

It's like $5 on GOG. Go donate some plasma or something.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Prioritise Planescape.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nobody Interesting posted:

Prioritise Planescape.

Seconding this it may be text heavy but its a real good game. Arguing a guy out of existence is awesome.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
If you got a lot of games and don't know what to play just play Planescape, dummy.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Why haven't you put 3 votes into this yet, you monsters!

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3819374-add-the-guy-with-the-yellow-shirt-at-the-party-to

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

omeg posted:

I've tried to make an animated gif of all the labyrinth fathoms but I'm terrible at this. :smith:
Something like this?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I'm in for $156, and I haven't played PS:T in over a decade.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well, I was planning to do some fancy zooming and crossfading but I think I had too much beer tonight.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Added $14 for the comic compilation. Not really even that interested in them, but hey more money for inxile to make an awesome game. Over $300 pledged between this and P:E, just need to wait two years to see if it was actually worth it.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Funded Funded Funded!

Kickstarter total: 4.188.927 USD

Not bad, not bad at all.

Parenthesis fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 6, 2013

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Woohoo! I didn't go mega big on this, but did get in on it as it will be awesome.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Oh my God over 74,000 backers.

The fathoms. You can't escape from the fathoms.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

You got your money no get to work you slobs!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That sure is a sum of cash they have there.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Schurik posted:

You got your money no get to work you slobs!!
Half the money is going to go into Colin McComb's Kane outfits, aren't they?

As long as he postures at the camera and talks like Kane during updates.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

FRINGE posted:

For people who played RPGs in the 90s, sure, but there are enough other dead and dormant genres to be nostalgic for that Star Citizen has raised 8.5M. Since the winning combination seems to be loved 90s IP in forgotten genre I'm pretty sure that something like Volition pitching Freespace 3 (I can see the purple dildo ship stretch goal now...) or Firaxis pitching Alpha Centauri 2 could hit 4M+ as well. Assuming either company was interested in trying or owned the actual IPs, anyhow.

The real decider will probably be in how well the current crop of funded games match backer expectations. One or two major projects will probably turn out to be mediocre experiments just by statistics, some backers seem to expect Witcher or Mass Effect style AAA presentation in spite of the budget differences, some might just not like the game they get. It's a guarantee there will be some people disappointed with the result of their 2-3 year pre-orders for various reasons. If there's too much disappointment going round then the backlash might kill the more ambitious projects and it's back to things more on the scale of FTL.

Personally I'm more curious about what'll happen with crowdfunding outside of gaming. The Veronica Mars movie is going to hit 5M before closing funding, for instance, and Veronica Mars wasn't that popular (sadly). Kickstarter has barely begun to mine the television and movie nostalgia fund and there's probably more money in that than in games...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

a bunch of people posted:

Get Planescape: Torment!

Okay, I'm game. If I buy that game for $6, anyone want to match me and donate/up their pledge by $6 to the "Divinity: Original Sin" Kickstarter? :v:

(They've got awesome stretch goals, and haven't even met their target yet.)

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Did you guys see the gog.com pack up today? $20 for a bunch of games, $1.99 each: http://www.gog.com/promo/hasbro_stacking_weekend_promo_050413 Buy that! ;)

edit: Nevermind, it's five pages back. Man this thread is moving fast.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Xerophyte posted:

For people who played RPGs in the 90s, sure, but there are enough other dead and dormant genres to be nostalgic for that Star Citizen has raised 8.5M. Since the winning combination seems to be loved 90s IP in forgotten genre I'm pretty sure that something like Volition pitching Freespace 3 (I can see the purple dildo ship stretch goal now...) or Firaxis pitching Alpha Centauri 2 could hit 4M+ as well. Assuming either company was interested in trying or owned the actual IPs, anyhow.
The difference is that these three are filling a more noticeable void than most of the space games would be. EVE is always there lurking in the background (as one example), so it is less likely that as many people would throw down $250 for Freespace.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, I'm game. If I buy that game for $6, anyone want to match me and donate/up their pledge by $6 to the "Divinity: Original Sin" Kickstarter? :v:

(They've got awesome stretch goals, and haven't even met their target yet.)

Get to it. :colbert:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Slackerbacker store is already up. I guess thats one advantage to Wasteland having come first. They had the structure in place.

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/store

In case anyone is hit by Regret now that the ks is closed. :v:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

FRINGE posted:

I'm still holding out hope for Wizardry 9.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FRINGE posted:

Slackerbacker store is already up.

Please tell me this adds to stretch goal totals and can still get us a stronghold.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

vilkacis posted:

Get to it. :colbert:

You got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I better get my drat stronghold.

• Locked thread