Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

doctorfrog posted:

I have to credit DotEmu for fighting the good fight, and this latest promotion is pretty interesting: they had their community pick their favorite Sega games for a one-off "Community Bundle" for $6.

It's beat-em-ups and Sonics, basically.

Well, those games are all awesome. I have so many good memories with Shinobi 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Funkysauce posted:

Picked up NWN2 because I've always wanted to try it. Of course it was the priciest one. I played BGII for maybe 3 hours and never touched it again so I didn't want to drop 21 bucks on a bunch of games I'll never play because of my stupid attention span.

My friend said that multi really adds staying power to NWN so hopefully I can get a game going there. We'll see.

If you dropped BG2 because of a short attention span you're going to drop NWN2 in a second.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Deakul posted:

NWN2 is a must have.
The OC is a bit of a slog at first but gets better and then you have Mask of the Betrayer which is Planescape levels of amazing... and then there's Storm of Zehir which is alright if you were a fan of Icewind Dale's gameplay.

Is it necessary to play through OC before starting Mask of the Betrayer? I always get bogged down in the original, forget what I'm doing, and then start over.

I'll end up buying the whole pack anyways, just want to know where to start.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ABen posted:

Is it necessary to play through OC before starting Mask of the Betrayer? I always get bogged down in the original, forget what I'm doing, and then start over.

You can go straight into Mask of the Betrayer but it's a direct sequel to the OC. It's literally what happens a couple of months after poo poo went down at the end.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

ABen posted:

You can, but stepping headfirst into epic level DnD is going to be pretty nuts, and not in a good way. Still, there's always the difficulty slider

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RentACop posted:

You can, but stepping headfirst into epic level DnD is going to be pretty nuts, and not in a good way. Still, there's always the difficulty slider

That's really the biggest hurdle, MotB is disconnected from the OC plot minus a few references from what I remember. But it is balls to the wall with encounters expecting you to understand min-maxing epic level 3.5e mechanics on normal difficulty. I had an exponential buff bard/red dragon disciple that made the OC endgame easier than it could have been and spent most fights reloading and trying from a slightly different angle on normal difficulty in MotB.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I picked up Signal Ops today because I remembered it having a neat concept.

It took me six minutes to open a door and I still don't know how I did it. There doesn't seem to be a list of controls. Not the best signs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cheston posted:

I picked up Signal Ops today because I remembered it having a neat concept.

It took me six minutes to open a door and I still don't know how I did it. There doesn't seem to be a list of controls. Not the best signs.

It does seem like a neat concept and has a unique look. I don't think I'd play it unless it had co-op and a level editor, though.

fake edit: it has co-op. Good co-op?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm trying to play Planescape Torment and every time I launch it I get a black screen. I have all of the mods that were recommended and I've tried uninstalling some of them to see if it works or not and it simply doesn't. I'm running Windows 8 64bit which others seem to be running Torment fine with.

Any ideas?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
It's most likely to be an issue with the Widescreen Mod. In particular, it's symptomatic of trying to launch at a resolution your monitor doesn't support.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I thought that myself and I even uninstalled the mod but it continues. I'm attempting to run the game at 1920x1080.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

WASDF posted:

I thought that myself and I even uninstalled the mod but it continues. I'm attempting to run the game at 1920x1080.

Well if you installed ghost dog's UI mod after installing the widescreen mod and then uninstalled the widescreen mod things will still be broken because ghost dog's UI mod requires the widescreen mod.

Think it'd usually be more of a crash to desktop broken though.

Have you tried starting over from the very beginning? Try reinstalling the game to some other folder without mods and see if it will get pas the black screen.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That is what I am trying right now. I didn't even bother to see if it worked vanilla.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

You also may want to try restarting your computer.

Looks like it could be some weird windows 8 thing: http://www.gog.com/forum/planescape_torment/black_screen_on_startup

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Vanilla does the same thing. I also saw that post and restarted a while ago and it still does it. Guess its just Windows 8 :/

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

WASDF posted:

Guess its just Windows 8 :/

That's your problem. I doubt that any game on gog would be optimised to run well on Windows 7.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

You could try to run planescape in windowed mode. The in game movies won't work unless you set your desktop display to 16-bit colors. Search for torment.ini and change Full Screen=1 to Full Screen=0 (it may be fullscreen without a space, not sure).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Testekill posted:

That's your problem. I doubt that any game on gog would be optimised to run well on Windows 7.

I run W8 64 bit and haven't had issues with a game yet, including Torment. Torment also lists 8 with its compatible OSes.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

It sounds like planescape is defaulting to a different resolution for the intro movie and that is pissing off his display adapter. Not really sure what he could do to fix that.

You could also try http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html specifically the part where you drag the WineD3D .dlls into the same directory as torment.exe

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Let me try this business out and I'll report back

Testekill posted:

Do you realize that optimizing good old games to run on new machines is kind of the point of GOG?

WASDF fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 6, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

WASDF posted:

Do you realize that optimizing good old games to run on new machines is kind of the point of GOG?
Sounds like you've got one slam dunk of a bait-and-switch lawsuit.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm revving my lawyers as we speak.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Deakul posted:

NWN2 is a must have.
The OC is a bit of a slog at first but gets better and then you have Mask of the Betrayer which is Planescape levels of amazing... and then there's Storm of Zehir which is alright if you were a fan of Icewind Dale's gameplay.

Didn't the multiplayer servers get taken down so you can only join multiplayer games if you know the server addresses?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 8, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

havenwaters posted:

It sounds like planescape is defaulting to a different resolution for the intro movie and that is pissing off his display adapter. Not really sure what he could do to fix that.

You could also try http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html specifically the part where you drag the WineD3D .dlls into the same directory as torment.exe

No dice. I tried all three options that it gave me and using the Wine one (unsurprisingly) just crashed the game instead of just getting a black screen.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

WASDF posted:

No dice. I tried all three options that it gave me and using the Wine one (unsurprisingly) just crashed the game instead of just getting a black screen.

Well drat. Using the Wined3d .dlls was the only thing that would prevent the game from crashing when spells were cast when I played the game on windows 7 (with a radeon card)

I guess you could go through the fun of setting up a windows xp virtual machine or something.

e: Not that this is a good work-around. It's pretty much the same thing as asking you to just dual boot with windows 7 and windows 8.

e 2: quick question. Where did you install planescape? Because putting it into program files is just asking for trouble with this game.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 6, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm also using two monitors... I'm gonna disable one of them and see if that solves it.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

WASDF posted:

Let me try this business out and I'll report back

Maybe its just a problem with your drivers or vid card, I know that game and other infinity engine games don't work well on some setups.

Edit: And Windows 8 is a piece of garbage when it comes to old/new game compatibility (subjective opinion), if you have the option of using win 7 go for that. :ughh:

Xii fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 6, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Games in the Myst series... their save files should be easily transferrable, right? If I start on my PC here then go away on holiday I can easily copy the saves on to the PC at the place I am staying and load them up there without a hitch, right?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You shouldn't have problems, I do that most of the time with GOG games and even some modern games (unless they use GFWL :arghfist:).

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

It would seem updating my video drivers worked.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Games in the Myst series... their save files should be easily transferrable, right? If I start on my PC here then go away on holiday I can easily copy the saves on to the PC at the place I am staying and load them up there without a hitch, right?

Yes. My saves got corrupted after a crash and I had to download some new ones from a french website, worked perfectly.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ABen posted:

Echoing what everyone else is saying.
If you're not already experienced with how NWN2 plays, you'll probably get your rear end handed to you in MotB.

But, storywise, it does make quite a few references to the OC but you could just read up on the plot on a wiki if you so inclined... I would personally recommend slogging through the OC just because it has some really fantastic levels and companion content once you get to the midway point.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have never played any of the NWN games, but NWN2 sounds/looks great. If my time is limited, is there any reason to play NWN before NWN2, or can I just jump into NWN2 since it seems to be far superior?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone have a mod to increase the party limit in NWN2/MOTB? I hear this is especially useful in MOTB since otherwise one dude would be on the sidelines, but the NPC interactions in NWN2 are great.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wildtortilla posted:

I have never played any of the NWN games, but NWN2 sounds/looks great. If my time is limited, is there any reason to play NWN before NWN2, or can I just jump into NWN2 since it seems to be far superior?

No reason to play NWN1 save for Hordes of the Underdark and the multiplayer, the OC sucks and the other expansions suck too.
But, NWN2 does reference some events in NWN1 but that's all really.
Just know that there was a huge plague that nearly wiped out the city.

Dec 26, 2012

Deakul posted:

the other expansions suck too.

I actually kinda like Shadows of Undrentide! But really unless you're getting the package and getting it super cheap it's probably not worth it if you only get one of NWN and NWN2.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Does anyone know if one can gift individual games at a discount if they own some (or all) of the Dungeons and Dragons games?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

liquid courage posted:

Does anyone know if one can gift individual games at a discount if they own some (or all) of the Dungeons and Dragons games?

It automatically takes into account any of the games you already own. I'd already bought PS:T, and rather than just screwing me out of the discount, it said "You already have one of these games! Enjoy your 40% off!"

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013
Decided to buy Neverwinter 2 from gog since it seems to have all the expansions, which I've never played (including Mysteries of Westgate which was previously hard to find anywhere).

Has anyone tried the Icewind Dale module for NWN2? Is it worth playing? I never finished the original one although I did get about halfway through years ago.

Link: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2modulesenglish.detail&id=346

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Follow up question: would anyone be willing to help out a goon who doesn't have any of the games? I can do Paypal if someone can get me a few of the games.