Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I went to check the doritos panel (current update, not the original), and wow John's totally petting that frog a few panels after. That's cute.

vvv It's this one mate vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Blackheart posted:

I went to check the doritos panel (current update, not the original), and wow John's totally petting that frog a few panels after. That's cute.

That sounds pretty neat! What's the link to the panel?

e: :downs: Oops, nevermind.

Booky fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 6, 2013

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Just a note that the revised gifs all have retcon as a part of the file name

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I dunno, you guys, this sort of thing might be armful to the space-time continuum. :hf:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ohtsam posted:

Just a note that the revised gifs all have retcon as a part of the file name

A note so important I'm surprised nobody repeated it sooner.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

TinTower posted:

Oh please, the end of the anime series is grade-school comprehensible compared to Homestuck. :v:
code:
VBVS: Congratulations to all the children!
The End.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 6, 2013

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Just not quick enough with that fork, Meenah. Bets on where John went?

John hasn't gone anywhere - he's just started being already here.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

krakagar posted:

John hasn't gone anywhere - he's just started being already here.
Then it's settled.

John is in fact Lord English and Caliborn is a red herring. The JuJu could only be used once and now he used it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
John has gone to the Squiddle universe.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

lotus circle posted:

Then it's settled.

John is in fact Lord English and Caliborn is a red herring. The JuJu could only be used once and now he used it.

It's gonna be a reference to that horrible animu lord english fanart, won't it?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

This whole plot twist is pretty amusing but the trident at the end just loving killed me for some reason. Meenah :allears:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
You know, there have been times in the past I've kind of jokingly described Homestuck as "What if Bob and George was incredibly well written?" As much of a joke as that statement is, "the comic's most recent update retroactively changes a lot of the archives" is literally something I've only ever seen Bob and George do before.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Falls Down Stairs posted:

You know, there have been times in the past I've kind of jokingly described Homestuck as "What if Bob and George was incredibly well written?" As much of a joke as that statement is, "the comic's most recent update retroactively changes a lot of the archives" is literally something I've only ever seen Bob and George do before.

Order of the Stick had something similar, though it only retroactively changed the cast page (and mostly as a gag).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I don't remember Bob and George doing that, but I remember Bonus Stage doing it. The last episode involved one of the characters going back in time and stopping the series being made, and so the 'last' episode started de-existing halfway through (which was honestly a kind of creepy effect). The show's archives were redone so that only the first episode was watchable, which was actually a modified version with the time-traveller turning up and killing himself.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I have to say that John's arm floating around in [S] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter really adds to that flash.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Boneless Jogger posted:

I have to say that John's arm floating around in [S] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter really adds to that flash.

Had to watch it twice to find it, it was in the last part of that I'd think to look for it. Even going through the update today I didn't even catch that one.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 6, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Zerilan posted:

Had to watch it twice to find it, it was in the last part of that I'd think to look for it. Even going through the update today I didn't even catch that one.
I checked through the updates and he didn't actually put an image of the arm in that flash within the panels. So there may have been even more changes that just didn't get highlighted.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

lotus circle posted:

I checked through the updates and he didn't actually put an image of the arm in that flash within the panels. So there may have been even more changes that just didn't get highlighted.

Yeah, he did.

EDIT: vv Hey, I completely forgot that panel was part of the comic at all, much less a flash :v:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 6, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Oh oops, I didn't realize that was from the flash. My mistake. :shobon:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

VRISKA: John, will you get your hand out of there?
VRISKA: You're vaguely loving poo poo up in some totally am8iguous way.

I love this comic.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I wonder how many fans are doing furious clickthroughs of the entire comic trying to determine where John is.

I doubt Hussie's actually going to retcon a page until he wants us to know where John ended up, which could be a good long while.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

You have to admit, it'd be like Where's Waldo. (Or Where's Wally, for the applicable countries.) Except you're trying to find one instance of him in a set of books about as long and thick as the Encyclopedia Britannica. And some of them are actually videos or games.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best thing is that someone reading it for the first time probably won't notice it at all, and if they do, they'll just say "huh that's kind of odd" and promptly forget about it.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

After I saw the hand in [S] Wake, I tried checking Cascade to see if it was there as well, but it wasn't there. :(

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Cavatica posted:

After I saw the hand in [S] Wake, I tried checking Cascade to see if it was there as well, but it wasn't there. :(

Well, retconning Cascade, AKA The Thing That Broke The Internet, would be... problematic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

What if John wakes up fine, but he's missing his arm?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bobulus posted:

What if John wakes up fine, but he's missing his arm?

Then he shouldn't have been noodling in paradox space to begin with.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Then he shouldn't have been noodling in paradox space to begin with.

What if he has to do it again to defeat Lord English, and the comic ends with John having no arms?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bobulus posted:

What if he has to do it again to defeat Lord English, and the comic ends with John having no arms?

Then Equius builds him two robot arms. John just has to retrieve them. From a chest.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Holy poo poo

A big flaming stink posted:

Crazy Gnostic theory: Yaldabaoth gave Caliborn all of existence as he perceived it, so it takes the shape of the logo of the webcomic as a subtle nod to the utter limitedness of the perceived material reality. IE it's a loving webcomic, there's stuff outside of it.

I....called it???

But no, really, this juju is literally the entire existence encapsulated in Homestuck. The loving Demiurge literally gave Caliborn the universe.

Jesus Christ, I figured Hussie was only going to reference Gnosticism, not take its cosmology wholesale.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Holy poo poo

I....called it???
Pretty bloody much, yeah. :aaa:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cavatica posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that none of the arm panels were Cascade though?

The only one that looks like it could have been was the Bec Head one with the Red Miles starting, but that's this page.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that none of the arm panels were Cascade though?

The bit in [S] Wake where Nepeta gets stabbed is in Cascade for about two frames.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo

I....called it???

But no, really, this juju is literally the entire existence encapsulated in Homestuck. The loving Demiurge literally gave Caliborn the universe.

Jesus Christ, I figured Hussie was only going to reference Gnosticism, not take its cosmology wholesale.

Well he also referenced it with the fact that in Gnosticism there are mentions of "four lights" who surround the Monad (which is god I believe) and these four lights are served by twelve Aeons.

Bonus: When I was factchecking because I wasn't sure about the four lights stuff, Ephesians 4:13 kept popping up. Pretty weird coincidence. The verse is "until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood,[a] to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ". Isn't it said Homestuck is a story about growing up?

What a shame this is probably all confirmation bias.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I....called it???

drat, son, well played. I really need to do some reading on Gnosticism - can anyone recommend a good place to start?

Indie Rocktopus posted:

One of the cool things about this act has been its fractal structure - it's everything Homestuck did before in miniature. We had suburban puzzle-solving, exploring a new planet, a Midnight Crew-style intermission with Jack Noir, Meenah's adventure as Hivebent, Trickster Mode instead of Rose going grimdark...

So we're right on schedule for a big climactic Flash movie like Cascade. After that? ...well, if my reasoning is correct, we'll have a chunk of act 6 that mimics the structure of act 6. Which would mean that we'd then need another chunk of that to mimic the structure of act 6 mimicking act 6... which would need to have another segment of that to...

Homestuck's really never going to end, is it?

I wrote this as a joke, but Hussie kinda just did this? It's the fractal thing again. Act 6 is Homestuck in miniature - and we just got, within Act 6, another Homestuck in miniature.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Indie Rocktopus posted:

drat, son, well played. I really need to do some reading on Gnosticism - can anyone recommend a good place to start?

This is a pretty good starter for it as it relates to homestuck:

http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.com/2012/12/seer-of-light-ascend-why-homestuck-is.html

In general, it's basically a subversion of the Platonic view of reality by making the supreme being (the Demiurge) an incredibly flawed and evil entity to explain the existence of suffering. To the followers of Plato, the Demiurge (literally "Artisan") was the perfect expression of reality and any flaws in his creation were a result of distance from him. To the Gnostics, the Demiurge was an aborted act of creation by the aeon Sophia, who was so ashamed of her creation that she wrapped him in shadows and hid him away from the rest of the Aeons. Thus, when the Demiurge became aware, he beheld nothing and concluded that he was the sole and ultimate God. He's basically thought of as a blind, hateful idiot.

The form I'm most familiar with (and that I think Hussie references the most) is the Sethian version of it.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 6, 2013

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

glowing-fish posted:

What if when that happens, the entire Homestuck archive is replaced with videos of flashing lazers? And then from then on, noone can reread it?

...how awesome/terrible would that be?

Quick, someone archive the whole thing!

dumb brunette posted:

I wonder how many fans are doing furious clickthroughs of the entire comic trying to determine where John is.

I doubt Hussie's actually going to retcon a page until he wants us to know where John ended up, which could be a good long while.

Many, I'd bet. Hussie is once again troll cosplaying. :troll:

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Update! Goddamn this is meta as poo poo :magical:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

clockwork chaos posted:

Update! Goddamn this is meta as poo poo :magical:

It is, and i love it. I also love Caliborn, he's the loving best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Caliborn posted:

I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE I HATE PUPPET PEOPLE.

Finally, something Caliborn and I can agree on.