Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I love that the super-shiny-bling :whatup: vinyl wrap has noticeably less depth of reflection than a properly-detailed regular paintjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

VanNuys posted:

I actually like how it looks completely slammed like this. The Wrap it has is ugly as sin, but in a nice artic white or something I think it would look good. Looks better than the stock ride height imo... :shrek:

Well yeah, that's sort of why everyone is hating on it though. It's a crummy CUV that's tall and bulky, so if you remove the height it looks better. But it's still too large so if you remove the bulk it looks even better. Almost like a car :P

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

davebo posted:

Well yeah, that's sort of why everyone is hating on it though. It's a crummy CUV that's tall and bulky, so if you remove the height it looks better. But it's still too large so if you remove the bulk it looks even better. Almost like a car :P

Yeah, I get it. I think the 5 series GT is uglier though. I've seen a few cruising around here in LA and good god they're ugly. LA is great to see expensive cars that are ugly as poo poo people buy as a status symbol.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's an X6 around our way that's slammed, lime green, on the original wheels but with very aggressive tread tyres and had louvres stamped into pretty much every panel. I like it, in an over-the-top, carved-from-a-solid-block-of-arrogance kind of way. I'd never buy or drive one though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

Oh good, another BMW designed exclusively for the douche market:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/bmw-x4-concept-images-leak-ahead-of-shanghai-debut/

In twenty years we'll be looking back at how cool the X4 was!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PeterWeller posted:

The Z4 has grown into a plush boulevard cruiser instead of a fun roadster/sports car. And the M cars have sacrificed driver involvement for all-out performance numbers, which is laudable in its own way, but not what most people expect or want from a M car. The 1 series still carries the old torch, but it's going to be replaced by a front wheel drive car pretty soon. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it will upset a lot of BMW faithful no matter how well it handles.

The 1 will be replaced by a front-driver, but the 1 coupe will be replaced by the 2-Series.

I bet if internet forums were around when the E36 M3 came out a bunch of dudes would have been posting about how BMW lost the plot because it's not as ~involved~ as the E30 or whatever. For a certain segment of the population, any change is going to be viewed as negative.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

In twenty years we'll be looking back at how cool the X4 was!

I unironically like the accord crosstour because it reminds me of the eagle wagon :smith:

Wood panneling between the body creases and it would be good to go.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

:toot:

Source

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
The "too many headlights" disease has spread to Europe, oh yay!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/05/citroen-c4-picasso-arrives-lighter-roomier-and-euro-6-approved/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

the design boss at Citroen isn't bald is he? Because that thing looks like an angry bald man shouting.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
The Hamann X6's are loving everywhere in Dubai.

Made me like them a lot actually...

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Has anyone ever found or talked to a person who bought an X6 and asked them why? I mean I see them all over the place but there must be an explanation somewhere for why it exists, or is forcing someone to admit to their own douchebaggery just too awkward?

I mean I can come up with a perfectly reasonable explanation for why someone would buy, say, the Pontiac Aztek - it's a boxy minivan with lots of plastic side cladding for minor offroad skirmishing, with plenty of interior room, even has this neat tent. Yeah it looks kind of stupid but I don't care about looks. There, done.

The X6? I'm baffled.

Don't they also qualify for business tax write-offs? I remember my former boss had whatever the absurd power X5 model was because he figured it was about as fast as his z4 but qualified for some sort of business vehicle tax rebate. The X6 looks kind of like an even more extreme version of that loophole. Unless they've changed the laws since then.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I actually like this one, but I'm one of those weird people that like MPVs

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Bugatti Veyron SS has officially been stripped of its' top speed record.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Am I not getting something? It's a road-legal vehicle that sold for public consumption? It seems that disabling the speed limiter would be obviously necessary to reach such speeds.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

travisray2004 posted:

Am I not getting something? It's a road-legal vehicle that sold for public consumption? It seems that disabling the speed limiter would be obviously necessary to reach such speeds.

That's the point; though. If the manufacturer has to disable something that is normally enabled for the public when they buy it, the record doesn't count as the fastest production car. Had the top-speed limiter been set to say 270 mph from the factory, then they would still have the record.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Even a little bit of modification counts, otherwise they could sit there and go well, we changed the ECU logic to do X and Y for the sheer sake of this top speed run, but it's still the same mechanical car you get from the dealership...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I wonder if a location based GT-R style system would count - it'd be weird if it was the worlds fastest production car but only at certain pre-approved places.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Even a little bit of modification counts, otherwise they could sit there and go well, we changed the ECU logic to do X and Y for the sheer sake of this top speed run, but it's still the same mechanical car you get from the dealership...

quote:

The company’s rules state that that the car that sets the record must be mechanically identical to those on sale to the public.

That wouldn't include any software changes, not by any normal person's reading. So a different ECU map would be kosher, and disabling the speed limiter would be completely fine.

Regardless, the fix is to make the limiter disableable via a combination of engine off, tranny in reverse, turn key to ACC and back to OFF twice, pump accelerator 3 times, tune radio from 102.7 to 104.5 The Edge and then honk the horn for exactly 7 seconds

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dissss posted:

I wonder if a location based GT-R style system would count - it'd be weird if it was the worlds fastest production car but only at certain pre-approved places.

But haven't we essentially already reached that point, since there are only a handful of places on Earth these hypercars can realistically achieve 270mph? How many miles does the Veyron SS need to hit that speed? That straight track they test on is like 5 minutes right? There's that loop in Texas that one Mustang hit 200mph, but since it's a loop and not straight is that not safe for 250+?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sure but limiters are generally set at far lower speeds which would be achievable (if not advisable) in far more places.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Don't they also qualify for business tax write-offs? I remember my former boss had whatever the absurd power X5 model was because he figured it was about as fast as his z4 but qualified for some sort of business vehicle tax rebate. The X6 looks kind of like an even more extreme version of that loophole. Unless they've changed the laws since then.

For tax accounting in the US you can deduct up to $25,000 of a vehicle's cost if it meets requirements for business usage and weight. The threshold is 6,000 GVWR. If the vehicle otherwise qualifies but the GVWR is 5,999 you can only deduct about $10,000 or so. The remainder must be depreciated. The rule used to be more permissive and you'd have people buying SUVs and writing off the entire thing. This would be useful for tax planning purposes for obvious reasons. Leases are accounted for differently and depending on the terms of the lease you can just deduct the payments. This means it can be beneficial for a business to lease rather than purchase certain capital assets.

This is a greatly simplified explanation, but in your boss' case there greater current tax benefits to buying the larger vehicle.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Devyl posted:

That's the point; though. If the manufacturer has to disable something that is normally enabled for the public when they buy it, the record doesn't count as the fastest production car. Had the top-speed limiter been set to say 270 mph from the factory, then they would still have the record.

I understand what you mean but as I recall the limiter was set in place to extend the longevity of such parts as tires that wouldn't last very long under such strenuous conditions for very long. Although the car itself is capable of hitting said record in its factory performance configuration.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What's the difference between an ECU remap and removing the limiter (assuming it's a software limiter) in terms of satisfying the "mechanically able" requirement? My Mustang has a limiter, but it's trivial to remove with a handheld tuner.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

travisray2004 posted:

I understand what you mean but as I recall the limiter was set in place to extend the longevity of such parts as tires that wouldn't last very long under such strenuous conditions for very long. Although the car itself is capable of hitting said record in its factory performance configuration.

It was put in place to keep people from killing themselves basically. The fuel tank was specifically designed to run out of fuel at or near top speed before reaching tire damage.

PT6A posted:

What's the difference between an ECU remap and removing the limiter (assuming it's a software limiter) in terms of satisfying the "mechanically able" requirement? My Mustang has a limiter, but it's trivial to remove with a handheld tuner.

There has to be no limiter set, or the limiter has to be set above the top speed achieved during the record-breaking process. Also, ECU remaps are out too. Like Snowdens mentioned, if there was a way to disable the limiter from the factory (car off, second key in, hold brake pedal while turning both keys at the same time & honking the horn kinda thing), then it would be kosher.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yes, but in this case it is Citroen, and you expect it to be bizarre

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KozmoNaut posted:

BMW has been moving from sporty handling, fun to drive basic everyday cars towards the luxury car market for years and years. Every iteration of the 3-series has been given more comfort features, a plusher ride and so on compared to its predecessor. The E30 and E36 were driving machines, no frills motoring for enthusiasts mostly. The current 3-series is basically a sportier-driving choice for C-series customers.

You can see it in the evolution of the M cars. The original M3 was raw, focused and edgy. The modern M3 is still hella fast and well setup, but it's also softer and more practical for more of the time.

For BMW, that's a good thing. They're selling heaps more cars now than they ever did as a dedicated enthusiast brand. Although it does sadden me that the days are gone, when a 316 or 318 was an affordable choice for someone who wanted a well-handling everyday car.

The E30 wasn't a no frills car at all, it was a premium compact car. A 318i was about 17 grand base in '85, adjusted for inflation that's around 36 grand, which is ironically where the 1 series starts now, which for size/utility makes total sense.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 1 will be replaced by a front-driver, but the 1 coupe will be replaced by the 2-Series.

I bet if internet forums were around when the E36 M3 came out a bunch of dudes would have been posting about how BMW lost the plot because it's not as ~involved~ as the E30 or whatever. For a certain segment of the population, any change is going to be viewed as negative.

I didn't know about the 2, and I bet the 1 will be a fun little car despite being front wheel drive. But the E30 to E36 M3 comparison is quite loaded. The E30 was a stripped track car with unique motor and bodywork. The E36, in the States at least, was a 328i with a juiced up motor and some suspension upgrades. It definitely was less involved than its predecessor.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DoesNotCompute posted:

The E30 wasn't a no frills car at all, it was a premium compact car. A 318i was about 17 grand base in '85, adjusted for inflation that's around 36 grand, which is ironically where the 1 series starts now, which for size/utility makes total sense.

Dunno, compared to a contemporary Detroit car of similar cost, it was definitely no frills. Much of the premium price was arguably due to the relative costs of import and manufacturing in Germany, and not premium or luxury features of any kind. BMW made pretty boring, mediocre cars until the 2002, and even 2 revisions later when the E30s rolled around, they were still making cars that had to make up in character what they lacked in actual material competitiveness in terms of power, luxury, ride, etc. when it came to the US market.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, compared to a contemporary Detroit car of similar cost, it was definitely no frills. Much of the premium price was arguably due to the relative costs of import and manufacturing in Germany, and not premium or luxury features of any kind. BMW made pretty boring, mediocre cars until the 2002, and even 2 revisions later when the E30s rolled around, they were still making cars that had to make up in character what they lacked in actual material competitiveness in terms of power, luxury, ride, etc. when it came to the US market.

I don't know what options you're talking about really, my '85 318i had power windows, central locking, sunroof, AC, power mirrors, shoulder belts in the back seat, independent rear, a 5 speed, full size alloy spare, tool kit in the trunk. Tons of stuff that none of my early-mid 80's cars of other makes had standard.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

My '89 325i was pretty nice. I'm trying to think what it lacked. Did not have leather or power seats or seat warmers. Only had a radio with cassette -- no 8-track or CD, but I think that was standard '89. If I recall correctly, the door locks and windows were powered, but the sunroof was a manual crank. Pretty sure it had rear shoulder belts and a full-size spare and definitely had a little toolkit and whatnot. AC worked until like 2008, so that's pretty impressive, really.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DoesNotCompute posted:

I don't know what options you're talking about really, my '85 318i had power windows, central locking, sunroof, AC, power mirrors, shoulder belts in the back seat, independent rear, a 5 speed, full size alloy spare, tool kit in the trunk. Tons of stuff that none of my early-mid 80's cars of other makes had standard.

Keep in mind average new car prices in the 80s were like $10k vs. $17k for a BMW. That was like Cadillac prices for a compact car - the early 80s Coupe DeVille had an MSRP of around $14k with a big V8 and luxury features like digital display electronic climate control, automatic seat belts, power seats, interiors finished in plaid/velour/knits/11 different choices of real leather, and other 80s foofery. Oh, yeah, it was also 18 and a half feet long. In hindsight the 80s Cadillacs were the beginning of the end and drove like crap, but at the time buying a BMW definitely was making a choice to eschew what were at the time considered premium features in exchange for a more "pure" driving experience while paying a lot more money for it.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Keep in mind average new car prices in the 80s were like $10k vs. $17k for a BMW. That was like Cadillac prices for a compact car - the early 80s Coupe DeVille had an MSRP of around $14k with a big V8 and luxury features like digital display electronic climate control, automatic seat belts, power seats, interiors finished in plaid/velour/knits/11 different choices of real leather, and other 80s foofery. Oh, yeah, it was also 18 and a half feet long. In hindsight the 80s Cadillacs were the beginning of the end and drove like crap, but at the time buying a BMW definitely was making a choice to eschew what were at the time considered premium features in exchange for a more "pure" driving experience while paying a lot more money for it.

A lot of the features being rattled off on the 318 were standard for my Monte Carlo - surely a Cadillac buyer would not be impressed.

My friend had a 1984 Buick Riviera with power lumbar

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I am old enough to remember the 1980's and lived in the Southern California coastal area at the time and there were lots of BMW 3/5/6/7's around and I even rode around in a few. They were expensive yes, but they were light loving years ahead of anything else at the time besides Porsches or the real exotics (Ferrari/Lambo/etc).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 8, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's a bit of a US/EU disconnect here, I think.

You guys pretty much didn't get the stripper models that we got in the EU, just like for you guys, the smallest 3-series was a 328i for years. Over here, you can still get a 316i (or at least you could with the E90 generation). Same thing with Mercedes Benz. Over here, the C-class and E-class are taxis, most of them with 4-cylinder diesels. Hell, even the police are rolling C-classes now and their budgets are tighter than ever.

I still see a fair amount of base trim E30 and E36 316is and 318is running around over here, lots of them with manual everything and no aircon and so on. Sure they were still a bit more expensive than Toyotas or Fords and whatnot, but not horribly so.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My flatmate had an early New Zealand new E36 318i and it had virtually no features aside from central locking and electric windows - no airbags, no ABS, no alloy wheels, not even body coloured bumpers/mirrors - quite a contrast when compared with a similar age Japanese market car.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
BMW and Mercedes (and German manufacturers in general) used to be notorious over here in the UK for making almost everything optional. Hell, I think the entry-level poverty spec. models in the 80's didn't even have a stereo as part of the standard equipment. You got a car that went and stopped - anything more than that was a cost option.

They had to knock that on the head when other manufacturers started making high-spec models as standard - I mean, it's a lot easier to say "gently caress you, pay me" when the only other marques on the road in any sort of numbers were Ford, Vauxhall & Austin/Leyland/Rover after all but when the European & Japanese makes started making serious in-roads, the unwritten rules changed.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoesNotCompute posted:

So does a 1985 Honda Prelude.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

animeliker posted:

So does a 1985 Honda Prelude.

80's Preludes were well equipped and weren't much cheaper than a base 318i either. The point is, E30's weren't stripper specials and they weren't cheap, not in NA anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry to interrupt your 1980s BMW chat, the new Maserati Ghibili is out.

Can't say I'm a fan. At first I couldn't even tell it was a different ar from the Quattroporte. The rear 3/4 really don't work for me, the swoops and the proportions aren't right. I don't like those swoopy round fenders in general but the Infiniti M does swoopy rear ends a lot better.

Also, there are a lot of people in the world who daily drive various Chrysler products, and they probably roll up/down their windows every day. They *are* going to notice that the driver side window controls on your Maserati is the exact same part as the one in their Dodge Caravan.