Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Der Shovel posted:

Why does it have to be explicitly useful for anyone? Top Gear review cars that cost £500 000 which means nobody is actually getting useful purchasing advice. It's just interesting. It's a relatively talked about thing and here it is, now how is it?

That's just my opinion though. Maybe The Verge are reviewing it out of principle since the thing is out and Julie has only recently started to claim that this isn't the actual launch. We can only guess at their motives.

(also 60 000 people are waiting to get this thing. I would imagine they are interested in hearing what they'll be getting in the mail. Or possibly not since a lot of them are already struggling to put a brave face on this and hearing they paid 99 dollars for a turd won't help)

I think the issue is that if you review something early, and that causes your review to misrepresent the product that people end up getting, that's a problem. And that's not just a pro-OUYA argument. It's completely possible that OUYA could totally collapse and the servers would be offline two months from now. If someone read that review and decided to buy an OUYA, only to find out that they couldn't actually get any games on it, that's pretty hosed up. By the same principle, the issue that OUYA fanboys bring up about possible improvements to the software and library holds some water, as well.

It's just generally bad practice to review a product several months before it's available for purchase, because who knows what will change. In this case, I think that it was actually alright for them to review it early, for some of the reasons you mentioned - but it's still not a good habit to get into, and they should definitely look into the system again at release and do a second review if there have been significant changes.

But that's also just my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

XboxPants posted:

I think the issue is that if you review something early, and that causes your review to misrepresent the product that people end up getting, that's a problem. And that's not just a pro-OUYA argument. It's completely possible that OUYA could totally collapse and the servers would be offline two months from now. If someone read that review and decided to buy an OUYA, only to find out that they couldn't actually get any games on it, that's pretty hosed up.

This just in; reviewers are honour-bound to continuously update their reviews of consoles to reflect the current state of online connectivity and game availability.

The Super Nintendo is a poo poo console; there's nothing at ALL available at Walmart!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

XboxPants posted:

I think the issue is that if you review something early, and that causes your review to misrepresent the product that people end up getting, that's a problem.

That's true. I have a feeling they'll cover the "launch" in June too, though, and see if things have changed.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

For all we know, the 63000 kickstarter backers are the bulk of their customer base. Of course its fair to review the product they're going to receive. If Ouya didn't want the product reviewed, they shouldn't have gone public with it. Selling a product to 63000 paying customers (at full retail price and above!) is not a closed beta test.

Could the product possibly improve in the future? Of course. But these aren't reviews of promises and possibilities -- they're reviews of the actual, existing product.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

XboxPants posted:

I think the issue is that if you review something early, and that causes your review to misrepresent the product that people end up getting, that's a problem. And that's not just a pro-OUYA argument. It's completely possible that OUYA could totally collapse and the servers would be offline two months from now. If someone read that review and decided to buy an OUYA, only to find out that they couldn't actually get any games on it, that's pretty hosed up. By the same principle, the issue that OUYA fanboys bring up about possible improvements to the software and library holds some water, as well.

It's just generally bad practice to review a product several months before it's available for purchase, because who knows what will change. In this case, I think that it was actually alright for them to review it early, for some of the reasons you mentioned - but it's still not a good habit to get into, and they should definitely look into the system again at release and do a second review if there have been significant changes.

1) The UYOA was made available for purchase over 9 months ago.
2) When the UYAO company closes shop, the ~64,000 people who bought during 1) are going to be well over half of everyone who ever buys an YUOA.

The Verge review is absolutely apt, because they are reviewing the real, actual OYAU for the majority of population that will ever own one.

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

Imagine how great college would be if you could do this. I'd like to hand in a paper and say here you go it's done and then when the professor says sorry this is poo poo, turn around and reply with "oh no it's not done! I need another 2 months to finalize it!"

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

obithrawn posted:

Imagine how great college would be if you could do this. I'd like to hand in a paper and say here you go it's done and then when the professor says sorry this is poo poo, turn around and reply with "oh no it's not done! I need another 2 months to finalize it!"

:smug: "This is only the first iteration in a series of term papers, each one an upgrade from the last."

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
The fact that there aren't great games announced simply means that there aren't great games coming. Simple as that. It doesn't matter if the console is small, or big, or good, or if the controller is the Stradivarius of controllers or if it's a piece of poo poo.

The BUKKAKYA is useful today like it was useful during the Consulate of Publius Cornelius Scipio "Africanus" and Licinius Crassus.
-How could Scipio play games on the GOATASS if there was no electric power in 200 BC?
-We have electric power but we can't play games on it, either

Even the dumbest poo poo has been trumpeted like the second coming of Mohammed in Canada so if there was a remotely decent game coming for it, they wouldn't keep it a secret.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Cippalippus posted:

The fact that there aren't great games announced simply means that there aren't great games coming. Simple as that. It doesn't matter if the console is small, or big, or good, or if the controller is the Stradivarius of controllers or if it's a piece of poo poo.

The BUKKAKYA is useful today like it was useful during the Consulate of Publius Cornelius Scipio "Africanus" and Licinius Crassus.
-How could Scipio play games on the GOATASS if there was no electric power in 200 BC?
-We have electric power but we can't play games on it, either

Even the dumbest poo poo has been trumpeted like the second coming of Mohammed in Canada so if there was a remotely decent game coming for it, they wouldn't keep it a secret.

Literally lol if you did not see the sweet visorman multiplayer reveal posted on the last page.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
No one picked up on the fact that XboxPants put Stalagflight on his list of good games?

Uhrman's 'favorite' game. So loving nuts that a dinky browser game you get tired of after three minutes is now cast as some big deal for the Ouya.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I did.

Also it would've been funny if "A space shooter for 2 bucks" had its market price raised to 14.99$ due to the expensive games are better Xboxpants' pricing policy of yesterthread.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

I'm not sure which fact is more amusing. The fact that this is just a much worse version of Goldeneye, or the fact that this developer couldn't get one other person to play with him for his multiplayer demonstration.

Gaudia
Nov 4, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I'm not sure which fact is more amusing. The fact that this is just a much worse version of Goldeneye, or the fact that this developer couldn't get one other person to play with him for his multiplayer demonstration.

Oh wow, he literally says "It seems to be running well, I could have an enjoyable multiplayer experience I think with this. I have not tested it with anybody else yet tho." :pseudo:

edit: Man, I respect this guys dedication and even what he managed to put together all by himself as a hobbyist. I really do. But this stuff should be on the bottom of a list somewhere on Newgrounds. It´s so depressing. He managed to get 69 pounds on his Kickstarter. :smith:

Gaudia fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 6, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

MrBims posted:

No one picked up on the fact that XboxPants put Stalagflight on his list of good games?

Uhrman's 'favorite' game. So loving nuts that a dinky browser game you get tired of after three minutes is now cast as some big deal for the Ouya.

I think it's because none of us read his stupid list of games we knew were poo poo.

Even in the Flash Launch Game genre Stalagflight is barebones and lovely, have you even played the drat thing, Xboxpants?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

XboxPants posted:

If you have something and its poo poo you review it and its poo poo. In three months when the "real" thing launches if its not poo poo you review it again and the two stories together create the narrative of improvement and if its still poo poo then you were right to give people cause to consider their investments. If something is poo poo now and you just keep quiet and then its poo poo when it releases "for real" you've done everyone a disservice as a consumer journalist or whatever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Xboxpants literally has Stockholm Syndrome.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Tell us all about journalistic integrity, please.

Without somebody actually getting up on their hind legs and misrepresenting the product telling people it's poo poo, all you have is Uhrman and company misrepresenting the product. Except you can't have someone call them out on it, because that would make people not buy a lovely product.

And God knows we can't have that happen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inspector_71 posted:

Have you not heard of Yves Behar before? I mean, there's a lot of making GBS threads on it to do, but the design chops of Behar are pretty far outside of that realm.

I've never heard of him before this, and I figure if he's that reputable, he wouldn't be slumming it on poo poo like this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah this is so hilarious. There was NO indication whatsoever the units going out at the end of March were 'early units.' Every indication was made that it was The Ouya. The final product. The same one that would be available in June. They even made blog posts indicating 'hey guys we're really busy getting the software done for the March launch. ' It wasn't until the reviews rolled in complaining about hardware that they changed their tune to 'well these aren't The Final Product.' It's bullshit and they know it. They are absolutely going to leave the 68k backers hanging in the wind with lovely hardware.

The fact they are shipping them as they roll off the line explains why Julie didn't have the final version at SWSW. They literally didn't have them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

raditts posted:

I've never heard of him before this, and I figure if he's that reputable, he wouldn't be slumming it on poo poo like this.

I'd guess the OUYA tried once again to make something fantastic and magical that was beyond their means. Aesthetics and indie cred before functionality.

You know, their entire MO.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XboxPants posted:

Pretty happy about it, actually. Tons of poo poo but that's not something that's relevant to me at all. I don't really care about what percent of games are good, only thing that matters to me is the absolute number of good games. There aren't any great games, but all of these look like good games:

Canabalt

Canabalt is a one button running game where all you do is jump over things and I think slide under other things. I got that for my tablet as part of one of those humble bundles and I was still shocked at what a non-game it was. Like, I didn't even feel like it was worth keeping around as a cheap diversion on something I used for better things. Is this the kind of thing that really sells you on a game console?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Actually, this whole "it's not the final unit, wait to review in June." thing works both ways. Xboxpants, why do you and OUYA Inc. care about what the Verge said, after all, that review isn't going to hurt OUYA's sales number. It's not for actual sale until June.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Actually, this whole "it's not the final unit, wait to review in June." thing works both ways. Xboxpants, why do you and OUYA Inc. care about what the Verge said, after all, that review isn't going to hurt OUYA's sales number. It's not for actual sale until June.

Verge presented it as the final product which means potential buyers (hah nobody is going to buy this) might change their minds.

e: ouya king of dongholes

batteries! fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 6, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Let's revoke the freedom of the press so that ouya gets good sales!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DoubleWelp posted:

Verge presented it as the final product which means potential buyers (hah nobody is going to buy this) might change their minds.

They presented it as the thing that is being sold right now and has already been sold to ~60 000 people. Which is true.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

After that, we will execute everyone who speaks ill of the XERXES! No man shall speak ill of The King(of Consoles)!

Dec 26, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT OUYA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All consoles are equal. Some consoles are more equal than others.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

They presented it as the thing that is being sold right now and has already been sold to ~60 000 people. Which is true.

Wait, they're already selling to non-backers? I thought they didn't have an actual inventory.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yeah this is so hilarious. There was NO indication whatsoever the units going out at the end of March were 'early units.' Every indication was made that it was The Ouya. The final product.

Furthermore, they actually had a specific reward for early units*: the dev units that came with the $699 pledge. Having a specific reward for early units kinda implies that the units in the other rewards that will ship later aren't early units or work-in-progress or beta or whatever they're now calling them.

* though they called them "first run", which I suppose is on purpose to leave the door open for a "second run" instead of "final"

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

DoubleWelp posted:

Wait, they're already selling to non-backers? I thought they didn't have an actual inventory.

They took preorders on the website.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MrBims posted:

They took preorders on the website.

The preorders are being delivered now, alongside the backer units, right?
So, people who preordered before a certain point in time were preordering beta versions of the OUYA, or so the dev team now claims.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DalaranJ posted:

The preorders are being delivered now, alongside the backer units, right?
So, people who preordered before a certain point in time were preordering beta versions of the OUYA, or so the dev team now claims.

Who knows at this point? They're talking so much poo poo that it's hard to keep track of what's what at any given time.

But realistically, it's now two months out from "the real launch". They're having trouble manufacturing enough Ouyas to satisfy their existing Kickstarter orders. Does anyone really think they'll be able to make any meaningful changes to the hardware or controller and get enough boxes manufactured in time for June? Because I'm gonna bet it'll be one or the other.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I don't think Ouya Inc ever said the Kickstarter backer units were retail on their Kickstarter page but otherwise all mentions of these units prior to the negative press seemed to have indicated that these late March backer units were the retail units.

Even down to Urhman saying that they're baked and there aren't any hardware changes coming between backer units in March and the June launch. Pretty much the only thing they can realistically change right now is the software. I doubt they have the money to shut down production and get new molds for controllers done. Glue new magnets in I guess is a possibility for the face plates but I have no idea what the back of those look like nor if they have any room for more magnets. Guess homeboy they sent to Taiwan should have gotten 90% in Street Fighter and not a measly 85% :downs:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I'd wager they shipping out the first wave of DOUYADENUMs to finance manufacturing the rest of the orders. People have been questioning their ability to manufacture 60,000 OUVARIEs with their kickstarter money from the beginning, and those estimate didn't account for design, coding the store, a kicking launch party in San Francisco. or Julie and co. jetsetting around the world. It seems to me they're living paycheque to paycheque, hoping they can sell enough DAVE STALAFIGHTs to afford the next batch.

Xboxpants, what would you do if OURREOLYA goes tits up before you receive yours? Please dont do anything rash.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?

XboxPants posted:

I think the issue is that if you review something early, and that causes your review to misrepresent the product that people end up getting, that's a problem.

Misrepresentation of the product people end up getting... Why does that sound so familiar... OUYA! :v:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I met a traveller from an antique forum
Who said: "Two squishy and useless controllers
Lie on the trash heap. Near them on the beans
Half sunk, a shattered console lies, whose fan
And burnt-out motherboard and molten top
Tell that its sculptor did not give a poo poo
But yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that scammed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'OUYA
Ouya.'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The other piles of trash stretch far away."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wait, hang on, they used a d-pad and four face buttons game as the benchmark for controller testing?

In 2013?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Wait, hang on, they used a d-pad and four face buttons game as the benchmark for controller testing?

In 2013?

No. Sending a dude to Taiwan until he could get "85% or better in Street Fighter" was the metric used. Yeah, she said that. No I don't know what she's talking about.

Also I love mentioning that because anyone that knows even jack poo poo about what they're talking about knows that this makes zero goddamn sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

In 2013?

If it works in my mind it works. If on paper you could argue it works it works. I'm Julie Urhman.

• Locked thread