Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

The Midniter posted:

The last time I boiled eggs I overboiled the poo poo out of them. I wanted to avoid this so the next time I did it, I looked up the temp at which the yolk should be before it starts creating those nasty sulphur odors (170), and tested the eggs periodically. The Thermapen tip is narrow and sharp enough to spear right into the egg without compromising the structural integrity of the shell, and wouldn't you know, soon I had 16 perfectly hardboiled eggs.

My girlfriend normally handles this, but.. put in the eggs. Bring water + eggs to a gentle boil. Turn off heat. Let water + eggs cool for 20+ minutes. Eggs should be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

diehlr posted:

Eggs should be done.

Or semi-sacrifice one egg and be done in minutes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Steve Yun posted:

The Kitchenaids used to be nice and simple, but they were discontinued and now we have this Kitchenaid Exactslice/Preciseslice thing that's getting very lukewarm reviews

Yes. Just get this one, then, which is big and awesome and doesn't have that issue.

Seems to still have awesome reviews, unlike the new ones, except for one guy who doesn't know how to use a food processor:

"I had a terrible time getting this product to work. There is some sort of interlock that I suppose is intended to prevent the motor from running if the bowl is not locked on to the base. In my case, one needed to press down on the bowl very hard to get the motor to run, all the while pressing down on hard on the unfriendly push button that starts the motor. Under these conditions, the motor always started under heavy load and grinding anything was very tedious.

I took the bottom off the base to attempt to disable this interlock, but I never could figure out quite how it worked, so I whittled a piece of a stick and jammed it into the small orifice provided for the purpose in the base. Now, the unit works, to a certain extent. The main reason I bought the product was to grind up coleslaw. The motor is weak and won't pull much load.

In addition, this is the hardest utensil to clean that I ever used. I have to remember to faithfully hose off all the parts with a dish sprayer immediately after use. If cabbage, for instance, dries in the any of the many crevices and narrow grooves, it is hell to get out."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That's the smaller version of the same one I posted that's getting lukewarm reviews :I

The older one was nice because there were less parts to mess around with, which is what Chef seems to be asking for

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 5, 2013

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

diehlr posted:

My only beef with my Vitamix is for thicker concoctions, you really have to work at stirring with the black thing constantly or a pocket will form around the blades and your stuff won't blend. I hear one of the advantages of the Blendtec is the two vs four blade design allows better circulation of your mixture. I have no idea whether this is true.

I have a blendtec and it's the same. I have to poke around in there with a spatula every time I make hummus.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

diehlr posted:

My girlfriend normally handles this, but.. put in the eggs. Bring water + eggs to a gentle boil. Turn off heat. Let water + eggs cool for 20+ minutes. Eggs should be done.

How many eggs are you cooking? What volume of water are you using? What altitude are you at?

There are a lot of variables that make this process less than foolproof. I'd rather check the temperature and be 100% confident in the level of doneness.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Doodarazumas posted:

I have a blendtec and it's the same. I have to poke around in there with a spatula every time I make hummus.

This is what I don't understand about Blendtec/Vitamix. This is exactly the thing I want to avoid and I'm still wondering what the big fuss is about these beefy blenders. I fully understand the quality construction/heavy duty motor/warranty. I've burnt out quite a few cheaper (and not so cheap) blenders. But apart from that, I don't see the alure. Everybody hypes up the 2hp motor or whatever, but I've never seen a blender struggle to chop up anything (even the real lovely $20 ones). Is it just that the more powerful motor spins the blade faster, resulting in quicker blending? Does the faster spinning allow for finer chopped particles? Is it that the strong motor means that it isn't outputting it's max power and subsequently won't burn out? The problem with just about every blender I've seen isn't that it's too weak to do something. It's that the shape of the blade/bowl (whatever the container thing is called on a blender) doesn't allow for continuous blending. I absolutely hate needing to stop the blender, stick a spatula down to stir up some poo poo, find a plate to set the spatula on, turn the blender on for another 3 seconds, stop, repeat). Something like the Vitamix would be nice where it has the built in plunger thing that would make this a whole lot easier, but you'd think they would have figured out a way where this isn't necessary. That's why I bought a Ninja N600. With the 6 blades, you just throw your poo poo in there and everything blends without any human interaction. I never need to stop it and stir/scrape the sides to get everything to blend together. It's pretty great.

My wife makes smoothies for breakfast everyday and we usually make some frozen drinks on weekends with occasional other cooking-related use of the blender throughout the week. I was starting to consider getting a Blendtect/Vitamix, but needing to stop/stir/scrape might be a dealbreaker.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Going way back in this thread, on the first page was discussion about walmarts's/sams club tri-ply cookware.
Walmart did set some sets called Tramontina, stocks came and went things brought up like some pans better than others.
Are the ones now up for sale as good as they were 2008-2011?
Looking at getting this Tramontina 12-Piece Tri-Ply Clad Cookware Set https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-12-Piece-Tri-Ply-Clad-Cookware-Set-Stainless-Steel/22984416

Would go with the 8pc but they don't have the saute pan or the stockpot. Would go for the 10pc but they have smaller fry pans and saute pan and miss the cassarole pot. But the 12pc has everything.
Only problem is shipping is $150 for the 10pc and $200 for the 12pc.
My existing cookware was bought by me as a 19 y/o, cheap arcosteel k-mart set. They are 20years old and always burn at the sides, have plastic handles and glass lids so not oven safe. I've bought a few cast iron or ceramic dishes in the mean time, but I want to get decent s/s cookware which doesn't seem available down here, everything is some kind of non stick or glass lids or $700 and they're not all clad/tri ply anyway. Even with shipping the Tramontina 12 Piece set will be about $500. Worth it if they last 20 yrs like my old cheap set, and I have the money now that I sold my house for a profit before I became homeless due to not affording the repayments, yay renting.
Anyway, are these basically s/s coated aluminium and need to be treated with kid gloves, or are these mainly S/S with aluminium in the core? Main reason for wanting these is so I could scrape it and treat it harshly like my old s/s pans to loosen fond etc, not treat it like a non stick surface so if it's s/s coated aluminium, I would be worried about peeling of the S/S.
I get get a scampan "impact" cookware set for $319, but doesn't have a saute pan, but not overly impressed with scanpan but for example http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/products/scanpan/cookware-set-10-pieces/cookware-sets

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 5, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mr Executive posted:

My wife makes smoothies for breakfast everyday and we usually make some frozen drinks on weekends with occasional other cooking-related use of the blender throughout the week. I was starting to consider getting a Blendtect/Vitamix, but needing to stop/stir/scrape might be a dealbreaker.
There's a difference between something being so finely blended that you can't sense particulate matter on your tongue at all and something being chopped up. Like, we're talking about taking frozen vegetables and chopping them so finely in liquid that the resulting solution has the texture of heavy cream. It's not even the same drat sport.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, it's the same

quote:

Anyway, are these basically s/s coated aluminium and need to be treated with kid gloves, or are these mainly S/S with aluminium in the core?
You can treat the Tramontinas rough.

Are there retailers in Australia that carry the Cuisinart Multi-Clad line? That's another great tri-ply set with comparable prices, and the regular retail version should have SS lids (the Costco version has glass lids)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

There's a difference between something being so finely blended that you can't sense particulate matter on your tongue at all and something being chopped up. Like, we're talking about taking frozen vegetables and chopping them so finely in liquid that the resulting solution has the texture of heavy cream. It's not even the same drat sport.

This, and get a vitamix with a variable speed. Variable speed is key if you don't want air pockets to form around the blades.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Mr Executive posted:

I only have to mess with it if I'm blending something so thick you would have a hard time pouring it out, like approaching the consistency of creamy peanut butter. I think that's just a physics problem at that point. For smoothies and grains and the like it vaporizes whatever you put in it. When I got mine, ninjas weren't around, so I'm not sure if it's that big a difference.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Steve Yun posted:

That's the smaller version of the same one I posted that's getting lukewarm reviews :I

The older one was nice because there were less parts to mess around with, which is what Chef seems to be asking for

The difference with that one is that there is no slider built into the food processor. The slicer disk is adjustable, that's all. There's very little to break on it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

gently caress it, just going to look around for a used robot coupe. I don't want cheap plastic bowls, I literally just want something built exactly like a robot coupe, but cheaper.

Like, why do all these food processors have that lovely feedhole/plunger thing. POUR IT IN AND COVER IT WITH A SIDETOWEL.

Why can't consumer equipment be built like professional equipment, why does everything have a million SuperSafe(TM) parts.

At least I have you VitaMix and the Candy Apple Red KitchenAid :smith:

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
You can buy plain lids for Cuisinarts. It's one of those things I keep meaning to pick up because the stupid feed tube, interlocking, pain to clean, now where'd I put that drat piece lid I have is the number one reason why I rarely use my food processor. The thing doesn't even come apart fully for cleaning.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, it's the same

You can treat the Tramontinas rough.

Are there retailers in Australia that carry the Cuisinart Multi-Clad line? That's another great tri-ply set with comparable prices, and the regular retail version should have SS lids (the Costco version has glass lids)

I did find this cuisipro set, but it's a smaller set and $400 anyway. http://www.everten.com.au/Cuisipro-Cookware-Set-6pc.html
And scanpan clad 5, but again smaller set. http://www.everten.com.au/Scanpan-Clad-5-Cookware-Set-5pc-18894.html

That's the only clad/tri-ply brands I could find, most sets are plain s/s or anodised non stick.
Cuisinart only sell 'classic' s/s or non stick here, one of the reasons why I'm looking overseas and have to pay to much in shipping.

Late edit: Seems amazon have the cuisinart multiclad 12 pc set for $250 and quote $80 shipping to AU. I will miss the larger frypan, saute pan and stockpot from the $299 12pc tramontina set, but going through walmart buyer and shipping forwarding service adds $150-210 shipping and fees, while amazon may ship direct the cuisinart set. Decisions decisions.
My old set has a 3qt/24cm saute pan and I hardly use it because it's so small, I usually have to use the stock pot for cabbage or beans... The more I look around, the more it seems these all clad/tri-clad things are only common in the US, hardly anywhere in AU has them, the they are soo cheap, hell even Au is cheap compared to the UK. I've done a thing.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 6, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
edit: nevermind

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 6, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If anyone is interested in a stand mixer, Woot is selling refurbished Cuisinart #SM-70's for 210 bucks http://home.woot.com/offers/cuisinart-7-qt-stand-mixer-white-2

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Does anyone make a slow cooker that doesn't get absurdly hot even on the low setting anymore? I realize food safety and all that, but on my mother's old crockpot, you could leave a nice batch of tomato sauce all day without worrying about it, while on any of the recent models I've purchased it's impossible to avoid a ring of scorched on crap around the crock.

I can always add more liquid for roasts and such, but I'd much rather just find something that just runs at a lower temp and doesn't hard simmer on the warm setting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Epiphyte posted:

Does anyone make a slow cooker that doesn't get absurdly hot even on the low setting anymore? I realize food safety and all that, but on my mother's old crockpot, you could leave a nice batch of tomato sauce all day without worrying about it, while on any of the recent models I've purchased it's impossible to avoid a ring of scorched on crap around the crock.

I can always add more liquid for roasts and such, but I'd much rather just find something that just runs at a lower temp and doesn't hard simmer on the warm setting.

Do you own an oven? If the answer is yes, get a dutch oven to put inside it and enjoy your new precise temperature control for your slow cooker.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

signalnoise posted:

Do you own an oven? If the answer is yes, get a dutch oven to put inside it and enjoy your new precise temperature control for your slow cooker.

Most home ovens are pretty crap at low temperature settings.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If precision is what your after you could always PID your slow cooker. Then you could use it to sous vide.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Thats fair

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

If precision is what your after you could always PID your slow cooker. Then you could use it to sous vide.
Yeah, I got Modernist@Home for Xmas, so I've been looking at getting one of those. I might try hitting up goodwill and seeing what they have in stock as well.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

I'd be leery of letting my oven run all day while I'm at work anyways

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you think will happen if you run it all day?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What do you think will happen if you run it all day?

He obviously never cleans it, so there will be a grease fire.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

For whatever reason, my wife has the same concern about leaving the oven on vs. leaving a crock pot on. I think she's crazy, but it's a common concern.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I dunno, there's something about leaving gas (if you have a gas oven) on all day - as opposed to what equates to a mini electric oven that has an automatic turn off.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Doh004 posted:

I dunno, there's something about leaving gas (if you have a gas oven) on all day - as opposed to what equates to a mini electric oven that has an automatic turn off.

If you have a gas oven, you more than likely have a gas furnace and a gas hot water heater that also run all day. I know I grew up with the whole "never ever ever ever leave the oven on when you leave the house" mentality, but maybe it's more that slightly nonsense.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm looking for a vacuum sealer to use for general freezing of leftovers, sealing mason jars of coffee with the accessory hose, and potentially some sous vide applications (though I am pretty happy with ziploc bags). Foodsaver's web site makes it essentially impossible to compare all their models on features. I gather they basically all have the accessory hose, multiple pump settings, drip trays, and so on. Some of them have features like "auto liquid detection", "automatic bag detection", and "SmartSeal" (whatever that is). I want to spend as little as possible, and I don't care about any automatic features, but most people seem to recommend a model with pulse and manual sealing buttons for sous vide. Foodsaver doesn't bother to list the pulse feature for most of their products, which is making it really hard to choose a sealer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
SubG bought some cheap as poo poo Rival vacuum and it works fine for him, so it would appear that you can get any cheapass vacuum sealer and it will work at its one most important function.

All low end sealers are manual. Preferable anyways, because you waste less bag and have more control.

I think low end sealers at least have a port so that you can attach an accessory hose

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 7, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I have the $60 Rival Seal-A-Meal and I use u-line bags with it. You can get 1k of them for $30.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

I'm looking for a vacuum sealer
Many people buy one from Goodwill (or any other thrift store of your choice) because all of the actual sealers work about the same. If you're not in a hurry FoodSaver sometimes has really good deals, but those seem to happen once in a few months.

The real difference is in the quality of the bags, and most people just buy cheap ones off of eBay.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I use u-line bags with it. You can get 1k of them for $30.
Link?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-14569/Plastic-Retail-Food-Bags/5-x-7-3-Mil-Poly-Nylon-Vacuum-Bags

They've gone up to $42/1k, but it's still super cheap.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I leave my gas oven on all the time when leaving the house for up to 6-8 hours v :) v

MY GIRL was concerned because You Shouldn't Leave Ovens On, but I convinced her it was OK by just setting it to a lower temperature than I originally wanted. :confused:

:confused:

dunno, not asking questions about that one.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I always leave my oven by accident. I don't turn them off at work, so why would I think to at home?!

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

The only issue with secondhand sealers is that the foam/rubber gasket that forms a seal on the bag when the machine is closed can get compressed over time. This will lead to not being able to get a good vacuum during sealing. I've fixed an older sealer by removing the gasket, lining the groove with silicone, and replacing it, but I still have to lean heavily on the machine as it vacuums/seals or it doesn't make a tight bag. One way to combat this is to make sure you never store your sealer in the locked position, which accelerates the compression of the gasket.

ConfusingWizard
Apr 5, 2004
HURR I CLOSE MY THREADS IN SH/SC

Fo3 posted:

Going way back in this thread, on the first page was discussion about walmarts's/sams club tri-ply cookware.
Walmart did set some sets called Tramontina, stocks came and went things brought up like some pans better than others.
Looking at getting this Tramontina 12-Piece Tri-Ply Clad Cookware Set https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-12-Piece-Tri-Ply-Clad-Cookware-Set-Stainless-Steel/22984416

I got the ten piece set a couple years ago when it included the large sizes (2/4 qt sauce pans, 10/12 inch saute pans, 5 qt dutch, and 12 qt stock) and I LOVE it. I use every piece at least once a month... the saute pans and sauce pans multiple times a week. They can take a serious beating and heat very evenly.

But here's where it (seemingly, hopefully) gets awesome... I was just looking at walmart.com to see how much it would be to just get the big 5 qt covered deep saute pan on its own since my set didn't have that and I found this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...Trivet/22307020

It appears to be a glitch where you get the 10 piece set I got (with the big pans) PLUS a 5 qt enamaled dutch oven for.... $36.10!

[EDIT] It looks like this deal might not be what it appears to be. The page for the item lists it as the 10 piece set PLUS the enameled dutch oven, but a friend who ordered it noticed that the only thing that showed up in his confirmation e-mail was the enameled dutch oven. When I ordered it, I was directed to an in-store pick-up confirmation print-out that included the 10 piece set and the dutch oven, so I'll see what happens when I go to pick it up. Either way, I fully endorse tramontina tri-ply stuff... I love the set I have. [/EDIT]

ConfusingWizard fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

ConfusingWizard posted:

I got the ten piece set a couple years ago when it included the large sizes (2/4 qt sauce pans, 10/12 inch saute pans, 5 qt dutch, and 12 qt stock) and I LOVE it. I use every piece at least once a month... the saute pans and sauce pans multiple times a week. They can take a serious beating and heat very evenly.

But here's where it (seemingly, hopefully) gets awesome... I was just looking at walmart.com to see how much it would be to just get the big 5 qt covered deep saute pan on its own since my set didn't have that and I found this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...Trivet/22307020

It appears to be a glitch where you get the 10 piece set I got (with the big pans) PLUS a 5 qt enamaled dutch oven for.... $36.10!

I just ordered it and my order went through fine... I'm going to give the set to my mom... she gave it to me for Christmas in 2010 so I want to repay her the favor... not sure if I'm gonna keep the enameled dutch for myself...

As far as shipping goes, I don't know how far you live from a Wal-mart but you can get it shipped to the nearest Wal-mart for free and just pick it up from there.

So far it seems like the order worked for me... I got a confirmation email and everything... hope it works for at least one of you before they catch it.

Just got in on this. I'm moving into my first place without roomates in about a month here and needed a sautee pan, which was already gonna run me at least $30, so throwing in a dutch oven with that is a pretty amazing deal. Shipping and tax only added up to about $6 for me, so nothing outrageous. Thanks for the heads up!

• Locked thread