Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

theflyingorc posted:

The reason why Ouya is getting negative reviews is simply because of 2 major reasons.

1. It was over-hyped somehow to be perfect and when Critics got their hands on it, they just expected it to be better than what it is. They criticize its controller, quality and quantities of game, and the early interface and software. Its simply still under development and face it, us backers are basically beta testers until the console could be potentially improved and fixed before the June 4th release. Critics these days tend to point out more flaws than good. Every console and games have their flaws which can be fixed in the near future, but the good that comes with it is really what I'm looking forward too.

2. They were most likely paid by the Big companies such as Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo to put a bad review on it because they don't want the Ouya to change the 'Status Quo' which could potentially change gaming and the Corporations and Companies would lose money due to Ouya doing things differently.

Console quality went down hill sharply when the big three started colluding with reverse vampires to eliminate the meal of dinner. I just hope Ouya can win out. I'm hungry. Hungry for gaming to come back to the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sugoi Pilot-san posted:

:psyduck: I thought cell phones came with some support like a warranty? Not to mention when a new phone comes out an I the only one who doesn't shill out for it?
Pretty much the only people who actually do that are ones for whom the phone is a prestige item, and tech-writers.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.

raditts posted:

"Microconsole?" Is that some bullshit term that guy just made up to accomodate the constant history rewriting of the Ouya?

Google "microconsole" and you find another article, written by the same guy. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184465/2013_The_year_of_the_microconsole.php

Tadhg Kelly posted:

"Microconsole" is a term that I'm using to describe a new brace of low-cost, accessible and physically small game console. It's derived from the term "microcomputer". In case you're too young to remember them, microcomputers were cheap, easy-to-develop-for computers on which inexpensive games were sold. They had names like the BBC Micro, the Commodore 64, the Sinclair Spectrum and the Amiga (sort of) and were largely the reason why the "bedroom coder" came into being. They were also particularly popular in Britain, which is why so many old school legends of game development come from these tiny islands.

Microconsoles are very similar to microcomputers in many respects. For one thing, they are trying to make console gaming cheap and fun by being quite bare-bones in their offering. An Ouya is not really promising to be a high-powered media box, just a games machine selling games at app-prices that work on your TV. Microconsoles are also promising to be connected, and to be cheap and easy for developing games. While the main console providers pursue expensive and complicated (and largely failing) strategies to win the living room, microconsoles seem to want to get ahold of enthusiasts first and just give them what they want.

He's apparently coined the term (despite OnLive getting to it first), got his blog post republished a few times, and is milking it for all its worth.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Since OUYA is the new gold standard for videogames I'm just going to refer to anything by the Big Three as a "macroconsole" instead.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

theflyingorc posted:

2. They were most likely paid by the Big companies such as Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo to put a bad review on it because they don't want the Ouya to change the 'Status Quo' which could potentially change gaming and the Corporations and Companies would lose money due to Ouya doing things differently.

Are you serious

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sugoi Pilot-san posted:

:psyduck: I thought cell phones came with some support like a warranty? Not to mention when a new phone comes out an I the only one who doesn't shill out for it?

To be fair, if I could get the newest Galaxy S whatever for $99 every year I would totally do it.

However, the OUYA is more like a Nokia, so the comparison still doesn't make sense.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

theflyingorc posted:

Source your quotes, please.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

KillerMojo posted:

Are you serious

you can't pretend that the big three wouldn't do this. germany (Ouya) is conquering most of europe (videogames) and the allies (big three) doing everything they can prevent ouya from getting bigger without outright declaring war

its a fight no one wants

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

theflyingorc posted:

The reason why Ouya is getting negative reviews is simply because of 2 major reasons.

1. It was over-hyped somehow to be perfect and when Critics got their hands on it, they just expected it to be better than what it is. They criticize its controller, quality and quantities of game, and the early interface and software. Its simply still under development and face it, us backers are basically beta testers until the console could be potentially improved and fixed before the June 4th release. Critics these days tend to point out more flaws than good. Every console and games have their flaws which can be fixed in the near future, but the good that comes with it is really what I'm looking forward too.

I contest the second point. Corporations don't pay money to get people to do things they'd do anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sankis posted:

you can't pretend that the big three wouldn't do this. germany (Ouya) is conquering most of europe (videogames) and the allies (big three) doing everything they can prevent ouya from getting bigger without outright declaring war

its a fight no one wants

The Wii U is Poland.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Conclusions posted:

Google "microconsole" and you find another article, written by the same guy. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184465/2013_The_year_of_the_microconsole.php

He's apparently coined the term (despite OnLive getting to it first), got his blog post republished a few times, and is milking it for all its worth.

I wonder if he knows "brace" means "pair."

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
What exactly are they hoping modders and devs do with the Ouya? Why is everyone saying "Well, sure it sucks now, but think about what people might do...in the future!"

What will people do with it in the future? We've known the Ouya's specs for a year+ now, and in that time no one has come forward with any even remotely ambitious plans. I haven't even heard a talented modder go so far as to say "Well, the Ouya is poo poo and I can't be bothered to deal with it, but here's something I'd think would be kind of neat to do with it if it weren't a piece of poo poo."

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

Sankis posted:

its a fight no one wants

OUYA: It's like Nazi Germany

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I'm having the worst 3DO flashbacks. I bought that crapfest too. Meh.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Zip posted:

I'm having the worst 3DO flashbacks. I bought that crapfest too. Meh.

At least the 3DO had games like Street Fighter, Road Rash and other actual games that people wanted to play. It was also probably the most powerful console at time of release so at least it did something unique.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

luncheon meat posted:

At least the 3DO had games like Street Fighter, Road Rash and other actual games that people wanted to play. It was also probably the most powerful console at time of release so at least it did something unique.

And a bunch of good original games like The Horde, Gex, etc. And Trip Hawkins backing it, who had ACTUAL VIDEO GAME CREDENTIALS. As opposed to Uhrman who.. had something to do with IGN. Wow.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sankis posted:

its a fight no one wants

I think an Ouya = North Korea joke would be more topical.

Plus it's more apt, what with the population of deluded supporters and all.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Holy crap, the Cruchpad/Joojoo was made by Techcrunch? What was FusionGarage, then - did TC start them? Man, that whole deal was such a mess. Somehow I had forgotten the direct TC connection, I guess because it's so weird that a tech site would try to make their own tablet.

But, yeah, that whole article was a rambly mess. He had like two or three different points that he kind of jumped back and forth between. Sure, I write forum posts here like that all the time, but I don't publish them as news articles.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I get the sense that this whole Ouya thing hasn't gone that well.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

I think an Ouya = North Korea joke would be more topical.

Plus it's more apt, what with the population of deluded supporters and all.

i thought of doing that but everyone knows north korea is a joke. The ouya on the other hand is poised to take over.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
At least OUYA has actual, if horrendously, horribly, hilariously, naive, misguided support.

Wait, no, never mind. That sounds like North Korea's populace, too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

XboxPants posted:

I think that it was actually alright for them to review it early, it's just not a good habit to get into

This is what I said.

I Greyhound posted:

The Verge review is absolutely apt, because they are reviewing the real, actual OYAU for the majority of population that will ever own one.

Midjack posted:

Tell us all about journalistic integrity, please.

Without somebody actually getting up on their hind legs and misrepresenting the product telling people it's poo poo, all you have is Uhrman and company misrepresenting the product. Except you can't have someone call them out on it, because that would make people not buy a lovely product.

And God knows we can't have that happen.

I straight up said I thought that review from Verge for the OUYA was acceptable. Seems like a couple of you missed that.

But even though it was alright for Verge to review the OUYA in this case, I still stand very firm in my stance that it's generally a bad practice to publish a review for software months before it releases instead of waiting. You don't improve the review in any way, but you do put your review at tremendous risk of inaccuracy.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
The OUYA has been released, you moron. Until the reviews came out Uhrman proudly explained that the console was done. From the first days of the Kickstarter it was made explicitly clear that March was the launch date for this stupid piece of poo poo. Backers would get theirs first, but the console would be done. Up until two or three days ago the June 4th date was absolutely not a "release date," it was the day that the console would be available to retail shoppers rather than backers and pre-orders.

Edit: I'm a moron. Leaving post up because it still applies to Uhrman and the true believers.

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

Tarranon posted:

What exactly are they hoping modders and devs do with the Ouya? Why is everyone saying "Well, sure it sucks now, but think about what people might do...in the future!"

What will people do with it in the future? We've known the Ouya's specs for a year+ now, and in that time no one has come forward with any even remotely ambitious plans. I haven't even heard a talented modder go so far as to say "Well, the Ouya is poo poo and I can't be bothered to deal with it, but here's something I'd think would be kind of neat to do with it if it weren't a piece of poo poo."

There is the guy who wants to tape a wiimote to a guitar hero control and make a flamethrower for a game or something

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

There are supposedly weights in the system and its controller so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some enterprising modder uses that feature to, in some fashion, hold down various papers.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
You can't review the Ouya till it release date in June... 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

JazzFlight posted:

Oh shits dudes, TechCrunch just fired back against early reviews in their latest article:

What Games Are: The Reviewers Are Wrong About OUYA
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/06/wh...gle+Feedfetcher

Great comments

quote:

This is a very insightful view of the OUYA. I was also at the OUYA party and got the bag of stuff, but it was my second OUYA since I've had the developer model since December. I agree the "microconsole" market is hard for people to understand right now. I have been really excited about the OUYA since last year, and that's mainly because I don't want to see Call of Duty on it. Or most other games that have been on consoles for years. But I also just don't want to see bad ports of Android games either. I am expecting (hoping?) to see the creative talent that has been making really different and interesting stuff for mobile platforms make some different and interesting stuff that I can play on my TV with a real controller. As a developer myself, I'm excited to be a part of the movement.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I can see where he's coming from. Video gaming hasn't been the same since the Big Three mandated that you have to buy call of duty every year. Finally we have thrown off the yoke of call of duty based oppression and can not play whatever we want in the month of november.

Cantorsdust posted:

Look, I know the reviews are really negative, but they're being unfair! Ouya 1 is just the trial run for Ouya 2, coming out in June 2014 December 2014!

Just don't review the Ouya 2 until April 2015 because that's when it really launches.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 7, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Look, I know the reviews are really negative, but they're being unfair! Ouya 1 is just the trial run for Ouya 2, coming out in June 2014 December 2014!

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Vita crowd now have something to mock. So that's nice.

Dec 26, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's gone swimmingly, for observers. :allears:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

OatmealRaisin posted:

The OUYA has been released, you moron. Until the reviews came out Uhrman proudly explained that the console was done. From the first days of the Kickstarter it was made explicitly clear that March was the launch date for this stupid piece of poo poo. Backers would get theirs first, but the console would be done. Up until two or three days ago the June 4th date was absolutely not a "release date," it was the day that the console would be available to retail shoppers rather than backers and pre-orders.

Edit: I'm a moron. Leaving post up because it still applies to Uhrman and the true believers.

Oh, you're going to argue semantics.

Let me phrase it like this, then: it's generally a bad practice to review software months before people can actually get it.

But it was still alright for Verge to review the OUYA, since they opened themselves up to criticism, and people were interested in the current quality of the system.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 7, 2013

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

Oh shits dudes, TechCrunch just fired back against early reviews in their latest article:

What Games Are: The Reviewers Are Wrong About OUYA
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/06/wh...gle+Feedfetcher

quote:

Remember when the App Store launched and it was beer and fart apps galore for the first few months before developers figured out what they could do? Microconsoles are kind of in that phase right now.
Is it just me, or is he literally defending the Ouya by comparing it to a fart app? :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

01011001 posted:

It's gone swimmingly, for observers. :allears:

It's certainly given me $99 worth of entertainment.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

XboxPants posted:

Let me phrase it like this, then: it's generally a bad practice to review software months before people can actually get it.

No it isn't. I don't think you understand how reviewing things works.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

XboxPants posted:

But it was still alright for Verge to review the OUYA, since they opened themselves up to criticism, and people were interested in the current quality of the system.

Okay, so it's both okay for an early review and it's not. Thanks xboxpants, another point clearly articulated.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

If they didn't want reviews they should have put a review embargo up. They didn't. You can't send out a subpar product and then get upset when people say it's not good even if it's not out until June. That's not how it works.

Plus they didn't just review the software! They reviewed the hardware. You know, the unchanging device component.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sankis posted:

Plus they didn't just review the software! They reviewed the hardware. You know, the unchanging device component.

No but it will change! It'll be different! I'm a changed man! Ouya has always been at war with Eurasia!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you want to get technical you could say they should state the review is for the Backer version and the retail may be different, but that's a seriously hollow caveat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

They should do that and then just repost the same thing sans caveat when the june version comes out and is exactly the same.

• Locked thread