Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Menus didn't always look like this? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is there some way to change the menus via CSS? The amount of vertical space is braindead.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

myron cope posted:

Menus didn't always look like this? :confused:

If you are using Windows 8, then they probably did. They now are styled like Windows 8 in Windows 7. It clashes badly with 7's native style.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It does not display as such in Windows XP.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 9, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
You can add this to your chrome shortcut arguments to go back to the old menus:

--disable-new-menu-style

e.g. c:\whatever\chrome.exe --disable-new-menu-style

Personally for me it's the fact that I use "right click -> move mouse down and right a couple pixels -> click back" all the time, and the new menu spacing makes that more obnoxious.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Orzo posted:

--disable-new-menu-style

Personally for me it's the fact that I use "right click -> move mouse down and right a couple pixels -> click back" all the time, and the new menu spacing makes that more obnoxious.

That did the trick. Hopefully :google: won't remove it.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Hopefully Google sets it to be the right style depending on the OS which is the Right Thing to Do.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uhhhhhh. Okay, so sometime between last week and yesterday something changed in my Chrome to where if I am moused over a Youtube video and I roll my mousewheel, the video window starts to get bigger or smaller. I thought maybe this was a feature but it doesn't seem to scale with the page, it just kind of gets bigger and appears behind all the other text.

This is Chrome stable 26.0.1410.43 on OSX 10.8.3. Doesn't happen on Safari so I don't think it's a Flash thing.

edit: Oh okay nevermind, I have the "Youtube Options" extension which I guess updated with that feature enabled by default? I say that because it seriously didn't used to happen and I know I didn't manually enable it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 6, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I've had a text display problem on a few select sites for quite some time now. It's happening on desktop installations, three different computers, and any computer I've tried the PortableApps portable installation. I thought it might have something to do with scaling, but ctrl+0 does nothing and the settings menu says it's at 100%.

Messed up sites (not just these, it's on other sites as well):
Joystiq

GOG.com

Most sites:
RPS

Have I been correct in assuming that it's just a problem to do with the sites in question and not a problem that I can fix?

Portable version is 26.0.1410.43 m but this is a problem I've been having for a long time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can tell you it's not happening on the non-PortableApps browser (same version though) on Win8 and OSX. Will check PortableApps in one second once it installs.

e:

Nope. Everything looks okay to me, sorry :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 7, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Hmmmm. I had it showing up on my brother's laptop and a 10 year old computer. I'll try unplugging my flash drive from my work computer here and see if it still shows up wrong on the desktop installation.

Edit: Yeah, it's showing the messed up text there too. I'd say it could possibly be a screen resolution deal, but then it wouldn't show up in the screenshots. Huh. Maybe someone else knows what does it. I tried disabling all of my extensions again (tried it when I first noticed it a while ago) but it's not them.

Onean fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It looks like the text just isn't being antialiased, unless there's some other glitching I'm not noticing. I'm not really sure why it would show up on multiple installations on multiple computers, but that's what I'd look into. It's not all the same font is it? (Assuming the other websites are fine because they use some other font)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Using Chrome's Inspect Element option and unchecking font: 14px/1.6 "Open Sans",Arial,sans-serif; on the CSS fixes the problem on Joystiq.

Before

After

Doing the same on GOG.com didn't at first, but once I found the right one it does.

Edit: Ignore the parts of the Joystiq image that isn't fixed. The CSS change only affects the article section, not the whole site. This might be something I can fix, but I don't really want to put together some kind of custom CSS for the sites that don't work.

Edit Edit: Actually, I think the Arial I set for Chrome's default font is just making it less obvious. It's still there and a bit more noticeable at larger font sizes. :( I've never been very good at this debugging thing. I'd try the antialiasing bit, but I couldn't see one in Chrome's settings option, and nothing obvious in chrome://flags.

Onean fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 7, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Chrome doesn't do sub-pixel rendering from what I know.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do you have Cleartype set up on your computer? None of your text looks antialiased, even on the tabs and the browser UI itself. That doesn't excuse the jankiness, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that Open Sans font is only designed to be smoothed, or if Chrome's rendering relies on it. There's definitely some weird kerning with your replacement font (like having an adjacent de smooshed together), I'm not sure if that's normal though.

I just turned Cleartype off (although you apparently still have to tweak it, so I guess it's not actually 'off' anymore?) to check and it looks awful. It doesn't mess up in the same way but other places look awful (like the URL bar - all uneven thicknesses and weird spacing) so I reckon try turning it on and see how far you get. Might require a restart or something if nothing changes

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Any idea why this would happen?:

Windows 8 Pro, Beta Channel (27.0.1453.15).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

TinTower posted:

Any idea why this would happen?:

Windows 8 Pro, Beta Channel (27.0.1453.15).

Googling it leads to this which says it's fixed in 28.0.1464.0, so wait a while or update to the dev channel.

edit: and here's the bug report.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

baka kaba posted:

Do you have Cleartype set up on your computer? None of your text looks antialiased, even on the tabs and the browser UI itself. That doesn't excuse the jankiness, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that Open Sans font is only designed to be smoothed, or if Chrome's rendering relies on it. There's definitely some weird kerning with your replacement font (like having an adjacent de smooshed together), I'm not sure if that's normal though.

I just turned Cleartype off (although you apparently still have to tweak it, so I guess it's not actually 'off' anymore?) to check and it looks awful. It doesn't mess up in the same way but other places look awful (like the URL bar - all uneven thicknesses and weird spacing) so I reckon try turning it on and see how far you get. Might require a restart or something if nothing changes

That fixed it. Wonderful! Thanks.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I've been having a weird problem with Chrome for a while now. If I try to shut down my computer without closing chrome first, I get stuck at "waiting for some programs to close" and I have to click force close to actually shut down. If I close chrome before doing it, windows closes everything else without issue as it shuts down, so I know for sure it's Chrome causing it.

Google hasn't helped so far (or maybe I'm just not searching for the right things?), and it's not exactly a huge problem, I just make sure to close my window when I need to turn off my computer or restart or something. I just have no idea why it would have started.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smooth-gestures/lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld

"Smooth Gestures" was updated recently with some shady poo poo that inserts ads (which can be disabled in the options, but only temporarily) and apparently embeds sites in a frame, which could have some security/privacy implications. It also introduced some bugs, making the "back" function not work reliably and breaking the extension's inline image zoom/hide functions that used to work fine. AND it broke the context menu on linux & mac, which can be "fixed" by another plugin from the developer that requires full computer data access permissions. Not suspicious at all, no.

From what I can tell, there were concerns with this extension containing spyware back in 2011, but that appeared to have been resolved... until now.

I've looked around, and there don't appear to be any alternative chrome extensions that handle gestures as well as this one (used to). I tried to revert to a copy of the previous version of the extension I'd backed up, but chrome just autoupdates over it with the new version. Is anyone aware of a more stable/secure fork of Smooth Gestures? It's kind of an essential extension, but I don't trust it anymore :(

If anyone else was having this problem, I figured out a way to roll back the extension to the previous, unbroken version & prevent it from autoupdating. Note that you'll need to reconfigure smoothgestures settings (or import them) after doing this, so make a backup if you don't have one already.

1. Have the current version of smoothgestures installed

2. Download https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12883402/smoothgestures%20oldversion.zip

3. Extract into [local user appdata directory]\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld

4. Open replace lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld section in preferences with this.txt

5. Make sure chrome.exe is not running

6. Open in notepad the Preferences file in [local user appdata directory]\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\

7. Search for lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld in the file

8. Replace the entire section (from "lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld": { to "state": 1 },)
with the text from replace lfkgmnnajiljnolcgolmmgnecgldgeld section in preferences with this.txt

9. Save & close the Preferences file

10. Open Chrome & reconfigure/import your smoothgestures settings

HOPE THIS HELPS

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Updated to latest dev version of Chrome on win7, and the "most visited" boxes that appear on a new tab page has gone from 8 to 4. I'd REALLY REALLY like to avoid installing a bloated extension like speed dial (or speed dial 2 or whatever's hot these days) to reestablish the number of sites which show up on that new tab page. Any ideas on how to go about reverting to eight, or better yet, a custom amount of sites?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am up-to-date on the beta channel and still have 8 items there. Maybe when you switched versions it reset whatever counter is used to populate that list so it is temporarily showing you less than eight?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

withak posted:

I am up-to-date on the beta channel and still have 8 items there. Maybe when you switched versions it reset whatever counter is used to populate that list so it is temporarily showing you less than eight?

I think it's a dev thing. I'm on dev and see only 4.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
It's definitely a dev thing, and it's pointless and annoying. Perhaps it's just how I use the internet but I have my static (always open) tabs then a bunch of sites I'll crack open once or twice a day, and they live on that new tab screen. If I throw them in a bookmark folder, I forget about them, so the new tab interface is how I'm reminded to see what I need to see on those pages. If I tinker with the css on that page and manually add in more of the "mv-tile" divs I can see as many as I want to on that page. I'm just clueless on how to permanently make that the default.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Is anyone aware of a chrome equivalent to firefox's "save image in folder" addon?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/save-image-in-folder/

It's just about the only function I haven't managed to reproduce yet in Chrome. Saving images through the "save as" dialog feels major tedious now.

Would this be something the chrome extension API even allows??

If so, I will pay CASH DOLLAR($) to whoever ports it. If not, i might have to go back to firefox

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 9, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know, but it's much much much faster for me to just open Finder windows side by side next to Chrome and drag images I want to save into their respective folders than it is to go through the Save As dialog. I presume this works the same way in Window but I haven't personally done it so I dunno.

I'd love an extension like this but I'm not holding my breath.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrMoo posted:

Just noticed Chrome no longer uses native popup menus, a bit odd.

Either HTML layers or drawing in Skia.

Christ, what is Google thinking with their UI these days? This might sound a bit spergy, but customized context menus is one of the biggest no-no's when making Windows applications. Leave well enough alone. Same with their absurd idea of using a browser window for adjusting settings and configuration in an application.

Now we know it's a matter of half a year or so until Firefox jumps on the bandwagon.

:goonsay: :argh:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Pilsner posted:

Same with their absurd idea of using a browser window for adjusting settings and configuration in an application.

No way, Windows' config UI is garbage (no clue about mac). Unresizable windows/text boxes that cover a laughable size of the screen, windows that steal and maintain focus, ect.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hifi posted:

No way, Windows' config UI is garbage (no clue about mac). Unresizable windows/text boxes that cover a laughable size of the screen, windows that steal and maintain focus, ect.

That's just poor coding. One solution to those problems is using a weird browser window. Another solution is using native windows/widgets appropriately.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Orzo posted:

--disable-new-menu-style

Doesn't work for me anymore. Dammit Google!

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Oldstench posted:

Doesn't work for me anymore. Dammit Google!

Still works for me on W8. Make sure you have it in launch options. If you restarted chrome due to update it will revert back until you launch it again.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Nokiaman posted:

Still works for me on W8. Make sure you have it in launch options. If you restarted chrome due to update it will revert back until you launch it again.
Also if you have any extensions/apps that run while Chrome is closed (like Feedly), it won't work unless you exit the app from the system tray then relaunch Chrome with the shortcut you added that option to.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there some way to revert back to the old navbar style? The newest version of Chrome pushed a horrendous revamp as an "experiment".

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

hifi posted:

Technically speaking there's no such concept of a "Windows config UI"; every application that needs configuration in a UI rolls it own completely custom UI. Unresizable controls and stealing focus is part of the native Windows UI and has nothing to do with configuration.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I did a search but it brought up a bazillion results about extensions. All my Chrome extensions suddenly stopped working, removing them and reinstalling did nada. Is there a fix or do I need to uninstall Chrome, delete everything and hope it works when it comes back? Win7 + latest v. of Chrome.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any good alternatives to Flash Video Downloader?

I had to disable it because it came with superfish, but I still need that functionality.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is there any reason why the "save password" pop-up doesn't even appear when I'm logging into Google stuff, like Youtube or Gmail? I wanna save my login information, damnit! :qq:

For some weird reason, logging as 'username@gmail.com' instead of only 'username' used to solve the problem, but even that doesn't work now.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 16, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It will save your information if you use chrome sync, afaik. You can also enable a flag in about:flags where you can get a sign in prompt to log you in.

The real stupid thing is there isn't as far as I can tell a good way to update a site password. You need to delete the current password then save the other one.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there an extension or something that locks a pinned tab to a domain? I'm tired of accidentally navigating away from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Has anybody seen an issue with a tab that stops redrawing? For instance, if I scroll or move the mouse, the cursor will change to indicate that it is moving over links and whatnot, however the picture doesn't change and appears frozen. Sometimes I'll even switch from one tab to another and it will show a different tab altogether, or even a recently closed tab, obviously in the same 'frozen' state as above.

This is probably related to the fact that I have 4 monitors across two video cards, but I've disabled everything GPU related in chrome:flags and it hasn't helped. This has persisted across every new stable version for the last few months.