Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Here I thought maybe Goldie was stressed because another cat spent the night in my room a week ago.

She just rubbed against me. Her feet were damp. She just peed on the cat bed I keep under the computer desk.

What the gently caress is wrong with her? Vet check was clear, she has two litter boxes to use, I've been spending more time playing and brushing her. Unless the kitten possibly being in heat is stressing her, or the feral cats outside are stressing her, or the loving weather change is stressing her, what the gently caress is WRONG.

I love this cat but I am not dealing with washing my sheets, the catbeds, etc every loving day because she'd rather piss on something soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Here I thought maybe Goldie was stressed because another cat spent the night in my room a week ago.

She just rubbed against me. Her feet were damp. She just peed on the cat bed I keep under the computer desk.

What the gently caress is wrong with her? Vet check was clear, she has two litter boxes to use, I've been spending more time playing and brushing her. Unless the kitten possibly being in heat is stressing her, or the feral cats outside are stressing her, or the loving weather change is stressing her, what the gently caress is WRONG.

I love this cat but I am not dealing with washing my sheets, the catbeds, etc every loving day because she'd rather piss on something soft.
Some cats are easily traumatized out of using the litterbox and are hard to get back into the habit, even when it doesn't hurt anymore and all the stressors go away.

Are you using Cat Attract litter?

For a stopgap measure, take up the cat beds and throw a tarp over your bed when you're not in it.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I will be moving 800-900 miles away, and need to bring 3 cats. I will be moving into the Arizona desert during the summer, which is not ideal to say the least. I currently have one small carrier for taking a single cat to the vet, any recommendations on car travel carriers? Could I use a larger dog crate and put all 3 in there? Travel litterboxes? What do I need!!??!!

My husband mentioned he would like to rent a van that has the back walled off from the front seat (like a kidnappers van) and let the cats loose in the back with food/water/litter, I think this is a ridiculous idea, but is there a grain of practicality in this? My initial thoughts are that we will drive with the cats, but I suppose we could contact a courier and have them shipped? But I think the weather/temperature will make this a terrible and deadly idea.

Also, one of my younger cats has pissed himself (likely out of fear) the 2 times I've had to take him to the vet for a routine checkup. I think sedatives are not a good idea for travel in general, but if he can't handle a 3 mile drive to the vet, do you think it might be reasonable to drug him for a 2-3 day drive to a new home, even if the other 2 cats are chill...but nervous?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Cowslips Warren posted:

One of our guys just suddenly started peeing on certain inappropriate surfaces a few months back as well. We couldn't really place a major change that would cause him to pee in inappropriate places, and his vet check came back clear, so we were stumped. A friend of mine currently in vet school said that sometimes cats will just spontaneously decide to pee in different places for a certain period of time, and no one can explain it except to say cats are dicks. What we ended up doing to solve the problem was we took away the things he was peeing in/on (hard plastic surfaces, such as laundry baskets), we picked up some cat attract additive for his litter, and we put a feliway diffuser in our living room (which was the room between his boxes). Thus far it's been working, and like I said, it's been a few months. :)

Is Goldie peeing on all soft surfaces (or just the bed and cat beds)? Are you able to cover your bed with a tarp and hide the cat beds like Engineer Lenk suggested?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I need some help, My 9 year old tabby and I just moved to a much smaller house In a much more urban area. My cat was a predominately outdoor one, he loves to hunt and his much more "alive" while outside. I'm reluctant to let him out as there are much more dangers here,a much busier road and many neighbors cats, he's previously been in two fights with unknown animals( the vet suspected cats) that have required stitches and quarantine, I don't want to risk another. I'm also afraid that If I let him out he'll get lost in the unfamiliar environment.

I got a harness and leash for him and this worked at first, but it soon led to hissing and scratching. I really need some help, He seems very depressed now and rarely leaves my bed. any ideas would be appreciated.

Pic for reference: http://i.imgur.com/TVWfO.jpg

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Do you have a fenced yard?

The reality is, if you let your kitty live his life the way he did before, he's eventually going to come home with injuries that will result in big vet bills and possibly the need to have him put down. Or, he will just never come home because he was hit by a car.

Make sure you're providing some stimulation to him inside the home. Toys, feathers, laser pointers etc. Any kind of mental stimulation would help, put some treats inside an empty paper towel roll and let him figure out how to get it out. Make sure you provide some comfortable spots where he can look out the window and if possible setup a bird feeder outside his favorite window for more entertainment.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
I pick up my kitten next Saturday! He is the one at 0:16 that runs towards the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwV-C2dT5Q

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

For people with :downs: cattes I feel you some but not on poop, because one of my cats shits in the yard during his outside time then scrapes dirt and leaves over it. (I think he does this to prove he can do it better than the dog, like look you stupid dog cover the poop). Also they have never had a problem with tables and only climb on the treat table. (the beagle will zoom in and consume any treats if they are on the floor.) :shrug:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

whiskas posted:

Do you have a fenced yard?

unfortunately no

whiskas posted:

The reality is, if you let your kitty live his life the way he did before, he's eventually going to come home with injuries that will result in big vet bills and possibly the need to have him put down. Or, he will just never come home because he was hit by a car.

Yeah I've thought some about this, making the choice between a happier or a longer life

whiskas posted:

Make sure you're providing some stimulation to him inside the home. Toys, feathers, laser pointers etc. Any kind of mental stimulation would help, put some treats inside an empty paper towel roll and let him figure out how to get it out. Make sure you provide some comfortable spots where he can look out the window and if possible setup a bird feeder outside his favorite window for more entertainment.

Ok so I picked up some cat-nip mice and some balls with bells in them. I also set up a box so he can have ready access to a window. I decided to let him out on a little balcony, I had his leash attached to a post so he could not escape, he seemed to enjoy this at least for a little while, soon he wanted to go farther then the leash allowed him so I went on a "walk" with him and tried to show him how to find our house if I ever decide to let him out.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've got two cats that have been together since they were kittens. They get along great for the most part, except every now and then they do play fight. I think during one of their sessions, Beasley got a little too rough and now Dodo has a small wound on the back of his neck. It was scabbed over but I just noticed it was bleeding because I think they tumbled for a second again.

They don't really fight like this often -- I've never seen her actually hurt him like this and I think this was a special occurrence. We have a patio and Beasley flips the gently caress out if she sees any other cats out there. Once an "enemy cat" innocently was hanging out on our outside patio and Beasley saw him on the other side. She lost her poo poo and started puffing up and just in the heat of the momment started beating on Dodo. I think thats what might have happened with this wound as a couple of nights ago I heard the blinds in front of the glass shuffling like crazy and they were fighting again.

Anyhow, my first question is, how should I deal with this wound on the back of dodo's neck. Its not huge and he doesn't seem to be complaining about it but I'd like to know if I need to do anything or if maybe Beasley will eventually clean it for him or something? Also, should I be more worried about Beasley beating on him like this? He defends himself and usually their tussles are over very quickly and they're never really violent but this one threw me off.

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012
I'm almost certain I'm overreacting here, but we had a bit of a gently caress up in the kitchen today and one of our pans burned. It was a Calphalon Unison Slide, which apparently contains some PTFE in it's coating. I know it's ridiculously toxic to birds, are cats similarly at risk? It wasn't burning at a very high temperature, but it did sit on low for a solid 30 minutes (someone forgot to turn the burner off, sigh) and there was some smoke going on. We've got the windows open and the fans doing their thing, but these furballs are my bffs and I don't want to just sit here if they're in some kind of danger.

EDITS: Visuvius, that seems like pretty standard kitty behavior. As long as they aren't drawing blood or leaving TONS of open marks on each other, I'd say they're okay but maybe keep an eye on them just in case. If you're worried about the cut, you could rub a tiny bit of Neosporin in it - if your cat licks it off they might get the shits but it'll keep it from getting infected.

Meow Cadet: Are you guys doing your drive in 1-2 days? If so, try not to feed them a day beforehand. You can probably put them all together in a big carrier if they get along well enough, and when you guys stop at rest stop or whatever let them out to do their business. Your husband's idea for the van isn't bad per se, but letting them run wild while you guys drive is kind of inviting trouble, imo. I'd get the van, put them in a big carrier, and when you guys stop for lunch/potty breaks set up a little box, some water, and a little dry food, let them run around for an hour and then put them back in the crate. If you cats will let you, putting them on a harness and leash would be really good too - just in case one of them makes a grand escape you can grab the leash before they make a run for it.

As for the younger kitty, try and acclimate him to a cage/crate/carrier while you have the time! We did this by just moving the dreaded crate right into the living room, putting toys in it, and letting them explore it at their leisure. If that doesn't work there's no harm in asking your vet for some drugs, especially because you'll be driving. It's potentially deadly on airplane rides (when they're out they can't regulate their body temperature as well) but since you'll be controlling the AC all the way there it shouldn't be a problem. And hey, welcome to AZ, it's hot as balls here! :P

Marceline Abadeer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 7, 2013

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
Weird cat behavior time!

My male cat (Ash) has been really dumb and clingy lately. Particularly in the morning and when I get home from work, he will launch himself onto my shoulders and curl around my neck. He seems to do it more when I OBVIOUSLY AM NOT CUDDLING HIM ENOUGH GEEZE. It's very difficult to remove him without him losing balance and then trying to hold on by sinking his claws into my back as he falls. Do I have any hope at correcting this?

Also, my female cat (Misty) has taken to hiding under our bed around bedtime. Removing her usually ends up being a giant chore of trying to chase her to a corner and grab her, then pull her out as she either tries to run away or becomes totally dead weight. We don't leave the bedroom door open at night because boy cat thinks exposed feet are toys, and we can't let her stay in because we don't keep a litter box in the bedroom. Again, any hope of fixing this? She doesn't respond to treats.

Regarding the poop discussion a page back: Ash used to flee from the poop ghosts before we figured out he had food allergies and he still had loads of tummy problems. Apparently his poops were too horrific even for him. Also, Misty seems to leave her poops uncovered to punish us. When she's super pissed, she moves from this to pooping on the floor. She also tries to bury her food (guess she's not a fan) and occasionally DOES bury it under the bathroom rug.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arkham Angel posted:

Weird cat behavior time!

My male cat (Ash) has been really dumb and clingy lately. Particularly in the morning and when I get home from work, he will launch himself onto my shoulders and curl around my neck. He seems to do it more when I OBVIOUSLY AM NOT CUDDLING HIM ENOUGH GEEZE. It's very difficult to remove him without him losing balance and then trying to hold on by sinking his claws into my back as he falls. Do I have any hope at correcting this?

Also, my female cat (Misty) has taken to hiding under our bed around bedtime. Removing her usually ends up being a giant chore of trying to chase her to a corner and grab her, then pull her out as she either tries to run away or becomes totally dead weight. We don't leave the bedroom door open at night because boy cat thinks exposed feet are toys, and we can't let her stay in because we don't keep a litter box in the bedroom. Again, any hope of fixing this? She doesn't respond to treats.

Regarding the poop discussion a page back: Ash used to flee from the poop ghosts before we figured out he had food allergies and he still had loads of tummy problems. Apparently his poops were too horrific even for him. Also, Misty seems to leave her poops uncovered to punish us. When she's super pissed, she moves from this to pooping on the floor. She also tries to bury her food (guess she's not a fan) and occasionally DOES bury it under the bathroom rug.

There are probably more qualified responders who can speak to this more completely, but I have heard that it's impossible for cats to do things out of spite or to take revenge because they can't plan for the future in the way that would be required--like, their brains lack the regions used to think about future action.

making GBS threads outside of the litter box sometimes means that the cat thinks it's not clean enough to use safely (instinct says predators will smell it and come eat them), or if they have a urinary tract infection or other problem that makes peeing or pooping on sandy material painful or uncomfortable.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

making GBS threads outside of the litter box sometimes means that the cat thinks it's not clean enough to use safely (instinct says predators will smell it and come eat them), or if they have a urinary tract infection or other problem that makes peeing or pooping on sandy material painful or uncomfortable.

She never pees outside of the box, just poops. Our other cat has never had this issue, so maybe she's just really choosey about where she poops. She's also done this when we tried to switch litter boxes to one of those rolling easy-clean ones.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Heh, it might not be possible for them to take revenge but damned if Hugo isn't good at mimicking it. Whenever we shut the cats out of our bedroom at night, without fail Hugo will shred a toilet roll - although I suspect that's more out of looking for something to occupy his time since he's been shut off from his main source of entertainment.

Fat_Jacks
May 8, 2004
Yo Mines !!!
So the neighbors cat pretty much adopted my family back in December. Shes about a year old. Well she got knocked up a while ago and just had a kitten under my bros bed. She then moved the kitten to another room and put the kitten underneath the bed as well. So I moved her water and food in the same room. Put one of them plastic laundry containers next to the bed with a towel in it.

Problem is the cat seems kinda WTF is going on. Shes currently in my room looking at me for directions or something. Does the cat not need to be with the kitten underneath the bed doing huggles? Not sure why she leaves the room. She just jumped on my bed as I'm writing this.

Could use some advice goons.

P.S.

If I attempt to go into the room when I hear the kitten cry, she does seem to go into alert mode and go in there, but I haven't really seen her go underneath the bed. I'm keeping the lights off in that room and trying to minimize traffic in there.

Fat_Jacks fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 8, 2013

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
:ohdear: There's only one kitten? Shouldn't there be more? Yes, you may need to help the cat give birth if she's having trouble. Looking around on Google I found a WikiHow page and an Animal Planet page with diagrams for assiting the birth. But I personally have never done this.

And of course, go see a vet if things seems to be going wrong.

ToastFaceKillah posted:

I pick up my kitten next Saturday! He is the one at 0:16 that runs towards the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwV-C2dT5Q

Baby Bengals! :) I adopted a bengal for free 5 years ago, and now I'll always need one. Next time I'll have to actually pay money for one.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I got up this morning with one cat question, and now I have two. :ohdear:

My first question popped up this morning when I was brushing my teeth and noticed one of my guys had some blood on his ear and forehead. My two guys are littermates, three years old this month, and they like to roughhouse, but I've never seen scratches on either of them like this. The catte that had the injury (Oliver) also has really bad seasonal allergies, which makes him scratch if not on the proper dose of allergy pills, but I've also never seen him scratch himself like this. My question then becomes, is it cat-inflicted? Or did it come from somewhere else? Should I be worried?

The wound after being cleaned up a bit:

The next one is just an irritant I'd love to solve; our other cat, Adrian, chews on cords, but only at night or when we're gone. He'll chew on both power cords and chargers, and I'm getting really sick of having to replace things he chews up. I got him some cat chew toys, which he doesn't seem to care about, and I've tried the bitter spray, which he has now developed a liking to. He's always chewed on things, and I've tried to get him to stop over the years, but unsuccessfully. Does anyone know why he might do this? Or would anyone have any other suggestions to get him to stop?

Bonus pictures of assholes in question (not all the greatest quality, but all involving catte snuggling):

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Just a reminder that Spring is here and it's great weather to harness up your cats and let them explore the great outdoors and eat barf grass.

(apologies to Southern Hemisphere people it is not Spring for you right now)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Niemat posted:

My question then becomes, is it cat-inflicted? Or did it come from somewhere else? Should I be worried?

From the looks of it, I would say almost certainly yes to cat inflicted. I would heavily bet on self inflicted scratching as opposed to the other cat, also. Worried? I wouldn't freak out too much right now. Just get the allergy stuff on him, and it should solve itself. If he continues to make it worse than that though, you'll want to get a collar on pronto.

Niemat posted:

The next one is just an irritant I'd love to solve; our other cat, Adrian, chews on cords. Does anyone know why he might do this? Or would anyone have any other suggestions to get him to stop?

I am a cat->This looks like string->String is a toy->I must attack toy

Can of coins, water spritz, different bad taste stuff, loud noises when you catch him doing it, LIGHT! spanking, and if all else fails, try sheer terror followed by attention once he gets away from it.

If he ONLY does it when you're not around/not looking, then he's a little poo poo on the level our old kitty was. rear end in a top hat knew what he wasn't supposed to do, so it only did it when we weren't directly eyes on him. Even if we were 2 feet away looking the other direction.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Slickdrac posted:

Can of coins, water spritz, different bad taste stuff, loud noises when you catch him doing it, LIGHT! spanking, and if all else fails, try sheer terror followed by attention once he gets away from it.

If he ONLY does it when you're not around/not looking, then he's a little poo poo on the level our old kitty was. rear end in a top hat knew what he wasn't supposed to do, so it only did it when we weren't directly eyes on him. Even if we were 2 feet away looking the other direction.

Direct punishment methods lead to these results. Better to wrap cords in a protector and find something he really doesn't like to taste than rely on you being there to punish him.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Engineer Lenk posted:

Direct punishment methods lead to these results. Better to wrap cords in a protector and find something he really doesn't like to taste than rely on you being there to punish him.

Depends on the cat's personality. Most cats I've had and seen will stay away from things they know they aren't supposed to go near if they've been punished before in some way. Of the 6 cats I've had through my life, only one decided to be a sneaky bastard. He still knew he wasn't supposed to do certain things, if you simply looked at him in the act (or even in thought of the act), he would stop and trot away.

Just have to know/figure out your cat and the best way to operate them.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
If you catch pizza in the act he pretends to be doing something else, usually flopping over and looking casual.

"Huh? I'm not touching your charger I'm just chillin here. Maybe just going to stretch my paws out...coincidentally toward hour charger...olook I'm holding it. Still cool though, just hanging ou-CHOMP CHOMP CH-WHAT what fine whatever who needs it."

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
I'm having a chronic ear infection problem with my cat. I'm about to take the cat to the vet for the FIFTH time.

This cat has had double ear infections nearly continuously for the last year or so. Repeated trips to the vet have resulted in a steroid shot and a bottle of GentaOtic drops. The last trip, I got four refills plus ear wash, and after using up everything, the cat is still oozing, crusty and unhappy. She has a cleft palate, so I suspect there's some ear-nose-throat interaction going on that most cats don't have. (Her housemate has never had any sort of infection even with all the mutual grooming they do.)

Do I need a new vet? Is there something specific/stronger I should be asking for?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

onionradish posted:

I'm having a chronic ear infection problem with my cat. I'm about to take the cat to the vet for the FIFTH time.

This cat has had double ear infections nearly continuously for the last year or so. Repeated trips to the vet have resulted in a steroid shot and a bottle of GentaOtic drops. The last trip, I got four refills plus ear wash, and after using up everything, the cat is still oozing, crusty and unhappy. She has a cleft palate, so I suspect there's some ear-nose-throat interaction going on that most cats don't have. (Her housemate has never had any sort of infection even with all the mutual grooming they do.)

Do I need a new vet? Is there something specific/stronger I should be asking for?

Have they done any tests to see what's causing the infection (bacteria, yeast, mites)? Have they suggested culturing the ears, to make sure the infection isn't resistant? If none of these have been done, that would be a good next step.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
They've done tests from swabs, but I suspect just basic tests between "yeast" and "bacteria." Whatever's in there must be resistant, at least to what they're prescribing. I don't want to throw another $80 on a visit with the same outcome, because it's clearly not working.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Niemat posted:

The next one is just an irritant I'd love to solve; our other cat, Adrian, chews on cords, but only at night or when we're gone. He'll chew on both power cords and chargers, and I'm getting really sick of having to replace things he chews up. I got him some cat chew toys, which he doesn't seem to care about, and I've tried the bitter spray, which he has now developed a liking to. He's always chewed on things, and I've tried to get him to stop over the years, but unsuccessfully. Does anyone know why he might do this? Or would anyone have any other suggestions to get him to stop?

Anything that can be put away should be put away (this can just be closing off a room). For cords you can't put away, try split loom over them. Don't miss split looming anything because he'll get bored/more determined to find chew toys (if he's like our chewer). Hot sauce seems to be working for us, since bitter spray is no longer effective. I've had recommendations of foil over things as well, depending on how determined your cat is. Didn't work for us, as our chewing cat also chews on metal :wtf:

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

onionradish posted:

They've done tests from swabs, but I suspect just basic tests between "yeast" and "bacteria." Whatever's in there must be resistant, at least to what they're prescribing. I don't want to throw another $80 on a visit with the same outcome, because it's clearly not working.

Unfortunately the test to find out if it's a resistant bug will be more than $80 (probably about $150). That's probably what I would recommend next for an ear infection that has been present for months despite treatment. You can always get a second opinion--sometimes a new set of eyes or a new perspective is needed to get a handle on things.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fat_Jacks posted:

So the neighbors cat pretty much adopted my family back in December. Shes about a year old. Well she got knocked up a while ago and just had a kitten under my bros bed. She then moved the kitten to another room and put the kitten underneath the bed as well. So I moved her water and food in the same room. Put one of them plastic laundry containers next to the bed with a towel in it.

Problem is the cat seems kinda WTF is going on. Shes currently in my room looking at me for directions or something. Does the cat not need to be with the kitten underneath the bed doing huggles? Not sure why she leaves the room. She just jumped on my bed as I'm writing this.

Could use some advice goons.

P.S.

If I attempt to go into the room when I hear the kitten cry, she does seem to go into alert mode and go in there, but I haven't really seen her go underneath the bed. I'm keeping the lights off in that room and trying to minimize traffic in there.

The cat is probably roaming to make sure there's no threats in the house, or looking for food. They don't have to be with the kittens 24 hours a day even when they're in potato mode. Just make sure the kitten is being fed and kept warm most of the time and it's OK. When we had a litter, our cat exited the room about 30 minutes after birthing her kittens, ate some food and instigated a huge fight with another cat in the house before going back to her babies. The cat going to check on it when you enter the room is a good sign, if she was just abandoning the kitten she'd leave it where she birthed it and pretend it didn't exist.

Ema Nymton posted:

:ohdear: There's only one kitten? Shouldn't there be more? Yes, you may need to help the cat give birth if she's having trouble. Looking around on Google I found a WikiHow page and an Animal Planet page with diagrams for assiting the birth. But I personally have never done this.

And of course, go see a vet if things seems to be going wrong.

Baby Bengals! :) I adopted a bengal for free 5 years ago, and now I'll always need one. Next time I'll have to actually pay money for one.

It's possible to have super small litters. 1-2 isn't the norm, but it's certainly possible, but I would definitely monitor momma cat to make sure she's not showing any signs of still being in labor or being unable to birth remaining kittens.

EtchaSketch
Jul 17, 2002
The girl can lay as flat as possible while still getting the hole to your dick, thus elevating her ass slightly. Then, tuck in your abs and extend your tongue to the clit/surrounding areas.
This is my handsome little man, Adonis.

9.5lbs fully grown.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

My poor kitten Luna recently had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic when she was getting spayed and has now gone blind! Their is a small chance her eyesight will return over time but plan for the worst and all that.

Any advice or suggestions on how to make sure my kitten is as happy as possible if her eyesight does not return?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Make sure you keep her litter boxes/food bowls in the same places all the time, don't move a lot of stuff. I've heard of people putting different textured rugs/flooring in different places, or putting scents on certain toys/items that they want the cats to recognize.

Maybe bubble wrap the hard/sharp edges of furniture until she memorizes her way around? Keep toilet lids closed and other possible hazards blocked off.

Sorry about your kitty. Does she have another cat friend?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Huntersoninski posted:

Make sure you keep her litter boxes/food bowls in the same places all the time, don't move a lot of stuff.

This is probably the most important thing to take away from what Huntersoninski said. When Stoff would have seizures and go temporarily blind, the one saving grace was that he was familiar enough with the layout of the house that he could get to the litter box and food without thinking too hard about it.

I also recommend getting a value-pack of Kleenex. The confused mewling will probably break your heart more than a few times.

EDIT: Undead Waterfowl also reminded me - picking your cat up may scare and confuse her (especially at first). If you must pick her up (and comforting cuddles are a good enough reason to me), try to put her back down more or less where and how you found her. Newly-blind cats are apparently like the old "puck" mice used for CAD - they forget where they are if you move them wrong.

Kugyou no Tenshi fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alright cat whisperers, help me see a solution here:

My cat eats carpet. Can't stop him. He doesn't claw at it, he bites hunks of it, chews them off, and swallows the fibers. He hasn't needed surgery for this but he has become severely constipated before and needed pumpkin to poop. You can spend all day picking him up off the carpet, putting him on the hardwood floor, watching him run back to the carpet, and resume eating it. The only thing he wants to do in life is eat the carpet. Sometimes he'll play with Da Bird for a few minutes, but if the bird lands on the carpet he loses interests and gets back to snacking. Cuddle sessions end abruptly when he remembers there is carpet in the house and he must go.

He eats a mix of Wellness/Nature's Variety Instinct/EVO wet and dry foods, and loves treats, so it isn't related to him being underfed. He is quite fat.

When I leave him home alone, I put him in the garage, which is obviously an unpleasant life.

Am I better off rehoming this guy to a carpet-free house? I know eventually this will cause him to die, but I worry about rehoming him. He has an auto immune disorder that causes him to sprout open, bloody sores all over his head and limbs every few months, so I imagine he won't be at the top of anyone's wish list. He really will have to go to a house with no carpet (eats it) or fabric surfaces (bloody sores)...

Stupid cat.

Ah and the pertinent info:

3, male, fixed. Had him for 18 months and this has been a problem the whole time. He is one of two cats and they get along fine.

Cat:

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 9, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Re: blind cat: Also maybe talk to her before touching so as not to startle her

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Mr Owl posted:

My poor kitten Luna recently had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic when she was getting spayed and has now gone blind! Their is a small chance her eyesight will return over time but plan for the worst and all that.

Any advice or suggestions on how to make sure my kitten is as happy as possible if her eyesight does not return?

Be aware that she may get stuck on top of chairs and coffee tables--blind cats sometimes jump or climb up onto things, then stay there, unsure of how far up they are and how to get back down. She should learn the layout of the house pretty quickly and be able to navigate, as long as the furniture doesn't move much. Toys that make noise will probably be more popular than toys that don't.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Huntersoninski posted:

Re: blind cat: Also maybe talk to her before touching so as not to startle her

Didn't even think of that - when Stoff was being pathetic (blind, tired, or otherwise) we talked to him all the time anyway. Just became a habit. A good one to pick up, though. Besides, cats never tell you you're being a drama queen when you tell them how much of an idiot your boss is. For all their assholish behavior, they're good listeners (if you can keep them in the same room long enough to hear you out, so maybe not).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Niemat posted:

Always pair deterrents with alternatives; if you cover the cords and use bitter apple spray, make sure there are toys nearby that he likes to bite. My rear end in a top hat cat used to bite pillows, blankets, and shirts, but grew out of it thankfully.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright cat whisperers, help me see a solution here:

My cat eats carpet. Can't stop him. He doesn't claw at it, he bites hunks of it, chews them off, and swallows the fibers. He hasn't needed surgery for this but he has become severely constipated before and needed pumpkin to poop. You can spend all day picking him up off the carpet, putting him on the hardwood floor, watching him run back to the carpet, and resume eating it. The only thing he wants to do in life is eat the carpet. Sometimes he'll play with Da Bird for a few minutes, but if the bird lands on the carpet he loses interests and gets back to snacking. Cuddle sessions end abruptly when he remembers there is carpet in the house and he must go.

He eats a mix of Wellness/Nature's Variety Instinct/EVO wet and dry foods, and loves treats, so it isn't related to him being underfed. He is quite fat.

When I leave him home alone, I put him in the garage, which is obviously an unpleasant life.

Am I better off rehoming this guy to a carpet-free house? I know eventually this will cause him to die, but I worry about rehoming him. He has an auto immune disorder that causes him to sprout open, bloody sores all over his head and limbs every few months, so I imagine he won't be at the top of anyone's wish list. He really will have to go to a house with no carpet (eats it) or fabric surfaces (bloody sores)...

Stupid cat.

Ah and the pertinent info:

3, male, fixed. Had him for 18 months and this has been a problem the whole time. He is one of two cats and they get along fine.

Cat:

That is loving weird, man. Have you talked with your vet about it? I wonder as a totally not a vet whether some kitty prozac might help. The only other thing I can think of is to coat your carpets in cayenne powder and no one wants that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I took my (brother's girlfriend's) cat (that I'm caring for for a year) to the vet's to be groomed this morning, and I forgot to ask about her water intake...

This cat has had urinary crystals in the past, when she was on a crappy dry food diet. Since then, her owner put her on a wet-food-only diet, and mixes extra water in with her food to ensure proper hydration. That's what I've been doing, too. This cat will not drink from a water bowl, and when I've put her by the sink to see if she likes running water, she shows no interest. It seems like mixing water in with her food is the only way she'll ingest water, but I'm wondering if she's getting enough hydration that way. I usually add maybe a couple of tablespoons up to 1/4 cup of water (or so) at a time, and she's usually fed twice a day.

Does it seem like this is adequate water for her? She's a smallish cat, 9-10 pounds, indoor-only, not especially active, no other known health issues.