Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Baby Cakes posted:

Also, is there a guide to bus station placement?

Go to Zones view. Assume that sims will only walk a maximum of six tiles between a zone and a bus station. If you have mass public transport like train stations, put bus stations both up the road and down the road from the stations so that sims can get on from both directions, and when getting off can go either way up the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuancitoEfectivo
Sep 3, 2011
Why do my sims not commute to some of my commercial and insutrial zones? If they live near (say, 10 tiles) a commercial or industrial zone they will, but they don't travel to zones that are 15 tiles away. I have built bus stops and railway stations, but my sims refuse to use them to travel long distances. There are only freight trucks on the roads, not even cars, or at least that's what the game is telling me. However, when I click on the factories, the game tells me there are sims working there, but no commuters, except for the trucks. I have the Old Fashioned pack installed.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Breetai posted:

Could you please do me a massive favour? Could you take a screenshot of a built-up skyscraper area like this, and then take another one in the same position but using the Zones view so that I can see the underlying road system? My region has just hit the region-based threshold for mass development of skyscraper-style buildings, but I'm having trouble creating transport systems that can support them and would like to get a few ideas about layout.

Here we go. Highways, avenues, rail line, and a subway system get my people around.

And this is my region, though mostly untouched. Any cities that aren't blanketed with trees haven't been started.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Baby Cakes posted:

Any tips for making dirty industry look good? I always fall into the "commercial buffers industrial" pitfall. I've been mixing R and C to make things organic but I end up making a giant industrial section isolated from everything else. Also, is there a guide to bus station placement? I'm using the Old Fashioned pack.

Buffer industry from low density R with a nice looking traffic artery with greenery. In reality, industry usually really is separated from the rest of town in the way you describe, in a boring grid pattern (which is why they often teach people how to drive a car in industrial areas, they feature lots of intersections without much traffic).

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
With dirty industry you want a mix of poor residential and industry as has been stated above. There will also be gaps of "green" in places.

Also, don't forget some industries are very large, like this steel mill.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pitt...nnsylvania&z=15

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
My game seems to crash sometimes when I use the scroll wheel to zoom. This is the only case I remember crashing at all. Does anyone know of a fix?

Edit: Actually, Google tells me setting it to run on a single processor should fix the issue. I should have looked for this before.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 7, 2013

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread :downs:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 7, 2013

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I'm having an issue in the region view where all my cities revert to a flat green plain. The issue is purely cosmetic, as when I enter my cities they exhibit all their normal terrain features. I've cleared out both my regions and plug-ins folder, and I've re-installed my local content. I'm running the game off of steam and am using hardware rendering. If anyone has some advice, it would be surely appreciated as I am running out of ideas.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

sulphix posted:

I'm having an issue in the region view where all my cities revert to a flat green plain. The issue is purely cosmetic, as when I enter my cities they exhibit all their normal terrain features. I've cleared out both my regions and plug-ins folder, and I've re-installed my local content. I'm running the game off of steam and am using hardware rendering. If anyone has some advice, it would be surely appreciated as I am running out of ideas.

Do you alt-tab while saving? It happens to me while I do that.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Nope. I saw that posted earlier in the thread and made sure I wasn't doing that.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
When you go to quit the game, try using the "Save and quit to region" option, and then quitting once you're in region view. That solved it for me.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Just tested exiting the game both through the region view and from cities, neither resolve the issue.

I'm launching the game via steam, and rendering using hardware.
My card is an AMD Radeon HD 6850 w/1GB memory; I'm currently on DirectX 11.

The last time I played several months ago, this didn't occur. Could this be related to downloading the Killhour pack? The only plug-in I was using prior to that was the NAM. Although, since this issue has started, I've wiped both my plug-ins and region folder and have re-installed. So it would seem kind of odd to me that the Killhour pack would have an effect after I clean out my plug-ins folder.

Edit: Yeah, I've tried software mode. Considering I used to run fine without this problem, I think it may be a driver issue. I'm looking into that right now, as I'm out of other ideas.

sulphix fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 8, 2013

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Try software mode. As stated in the OP, it alleviates many issues.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I tried the OP mega packs. They are great, but I don't want my mayor menus to be cluttered with dozens of different trees and plopables. I really just want NAM, SPAM, and some pack that will add a variety of buildings for the city.

Is there a pretty building pack?

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
All my cities are still showing up as flat green plains. I've exhausted just about every solution I could find for people with the same bug. I'm planning on upgrading to a new graphics card within the month anyways, hopefully that will resolve it. Until then, I'll just deal I guess.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Maybe try playing in a low resolution on full-screen mode, and make sure you don't tab in or out while it's saving? That's what seemed to finally fix it for me.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah now that I think about it, it shouldn't have anything to do with your graphics card. If I'm thinking correctly, the city tiles are just image snapshots taken when you last saved and included in the city tile save files.

Do you have any kind of hard drive fuckery like automatic backups or synching software that could be interfering with those snapshots saving? At least as long as it isn't something simpler like alt-tabbing or switching windows.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I had a weird glitch pop up a couple days ago. A 3-4 block wide section of my city, spanning the entire side of a 100% built-up large map, lost most of its props. Trees, stoplights, stop signs, parked cars, etc, and about 25% of building models (downloaded ones where the buildings are props), just disappeared, across an entire swath of one of my cities. I tried restarting multiple times, but it didn't fix anything. The lots all still work and have jobs/are functioning properly, they just look barren as gently caress due to the missing props (no brown boxes, just emptiness). If I demolish them and rebuild them they come back looking correct, and the street trees, stop lights, and stop signs all reappear if I rebuild the roads. It's as if part of my city just decided "OK, to the east of this line, we will no longer have any more props!!" :colbert:

Anyone else ever encounter this glitch?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
:siren:Diagonal houses!:siren:

Suck it new Simcity

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have ye olde Sim City 4, the original release. I read the OP and didnt' see any place to get up to speed on the latest patches or which patches I need without getting Rush Hour.

What should I download just starting out with vanilla SC4? I'm very new to the mod thing and want to make sure I get the right one and the correct patches.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
SC4 is borderline unfixable without Rush Hour. Get Rush Hour.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

SC4 is borderline unfixable without Rush Hour. Get Rush Hour.

Or just rebuy the game in Deluxe version, it will probably be the same, or even cheaper, than trying to track down a standalone Rush Hour package.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
Any suggestions for night or lighting mods? Or any building/lots that look great at night? I like to play with the day/night cycle on, and my nights look so...dull. Barely any of my buildings have lights, and my streetlights look rather lacklustre.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Mock and Droll posted:

Any suggestions for night or lighting mods? Or any building/lots that look great at night? I like to play with the day/night cycle on, and my nights look so...dull. Barely any of my buildings have lights, and my streetlights look rather lacklustre.
Simfox day night mod.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love to upgrade, but I'm under a specific No Spend Order from the wife. Which is why I'm going back to SC4 to have some fun with the mods:) Looks like I can't:(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jastiger posted:

I'd love to upgrade, but I'm under a specific No Spend Order from the wife. Which is why I'm going back to SC4 to have some fun with the mods:) Looks like I can't:(

Sounds like an E/N thread waiting to happen.

On a more relevant note, once every few months SC4 Deluxe goes on sale on Steam for like $8. If you can't talk your wife into permitting you to spend $8, then it's probably E/N time.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol ouch. Now I lost my job last month and we have a 7 week old. Its somewhat justified.

I'll keep an eye on steam. I will hate rebuying the game but $8 is pretty reasonable. I'm downloading the patch to at least improve my game.

Lots of neat regions to play though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's a $20 game on Steam and Gamersgate, so it goes for $5 usually. Or $4 if you can get someone with the GG discount to buy it for you.

edit: on sale, which it does pretty commonly. I think the last sale was only a couple weeks back.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 9, 2013

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
$5 when its on sale? Or always $5 somewhere? That low I can ask forgiveness rather than permission

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Jastiger posted:

That low I can ask forgiveness rather than permission

Derail, but that is so true. What have we become...

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I would imagine she'd have more of a qualm not with spending $8 on a game, but instead, spending an entire day just getting a highway set up perfectly in SimCity...

This game is nothing but a huge time sink.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've been playing vanilla SC4K:RH and I've got almost a half-million population in my region. Were I to break down and grab one of the mod-packs in the OP would I have to regen a region?

Jastiger posted:

Jastiger posted:

$5 when its on sale? Or always $5 somewhere? That low I can ask forgiveness rather than permission

:munch: This gon' be good.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Is there a way to remove the various BSC trails from the parks menu? I have the Old Fashioned pack installed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Heh it's not so bad. I'll probably sneak it through if its $5 or something. Muahaha.

As far as SC4 though, Ugh. I must be a total newbie. I started it back up again and my town is bleeding money. I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end all the stupid water upkeep and stuff is. I'm running it with NO MODS since I only have the patched original SC4 with no RH expansion.

Gotta get myself back up to speed on what to do.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

Heh it's not so bad. I'll probably sneak it through if its $5 or something. Muahaha.

As far as SC4 though, Ugh. I must be a total newbie. I started it back up again and my town is bleeding money. I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end all the stupid water upkeep and stuff is. I'm running it with NO MODS since I only have the patched original SC4 with no RH expansion.

Gotta get myself back up to speed on what to do.

If you're having trouble getting going, it's best to start off running your town like a horrific third world country and withholding things like water, police, education, medicine, etc.

Then add them as you can afford them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Keep in mind that water is required for any kind of multi-story buildings to grow. If you aren't planning to water an area, don't bother zoning medium or high density because they will still only build low density in it. Initially your demand won't be high enough to support any real medium density either way.
Schools and hospitals are required for medium and high wealth, so if you leave those out you will barely get any of that. Keep in mind that the primary "use" of medium and high wealth residents is employment at big commercial offices and high-tech industry, and those require a significant city size either way to appear.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you're having trouble getting going, it's best to start off running your town like a horrific third world country and withholding things like water, police, education, medicine, etc.

Then add them as you can afford them.

Yeah, don't give your sims a goddamn thing until you get a fire or a riot or something. SC4 is the best politician simulator ever because your job is to essentially ignore as many complaints as you possibly can.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I have a problem where I can never balance R$$$ residents with $$$ jobs. I keep having R$$$ move in but demand for offices or I-HT never goes up enough, so I can't develop any employment for them. Eventually they litter my city with abandoned mansions due to "commute time". I've tried attracting employers by slashing taxes and improving education but I only get blips in demand, not enough to stop the R$$$ from leaving. Eventually the offices and I-HT that do develop will also stagnate and abandon due to low demand. I've also tried keeping land values lower to discourage so many R$$$ from moving in when there aren't enough jobs for them, but that doesn't stop them and only seems to hurt the business that are there.

Anyone have any tips? Is there a way to get CO or I-HT demand up without bringing in more R$$$ so I can employ the R$$$ that I already have? I follow all of the advice in this thread. I start my cities as sprawling low density slums. I am running NAM on medium. I don't think they are actually having "commute time" problems.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting. So keep everything mega low density until I see $$ or $$$ Industry/Commercial pop up?

I'm not quite sure how it works. I need more tax revenue, so I zone is denser with the idea that more sims=more tax revenue and more density=more $$$ residents.

Is this wrong, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Medium Style posted:

I have a problem where I can never balance R$$$ residents with $$$ jobs. I keep having R$$$ move in but demand for offices or I-HT never goes up enough, so I can't develop any employment for them. Eventually they litter my city with abandoned mansions due to "commute time". I've tried attracting employers by slashing taxes and improving education but I only get blips in demand, not enough to stop the R$$$ from leaving. Eventually the offices and I-HT that do develop will also stagnate and abandon due to low demand. I've also tried keeping land values lower to discourage so many R$$$ from moving in when there aren't enough jobs for them, but that doesn't stop them and only seems to hurt the business that are there.

Do you have the HT jobs fix?

• Locked thread