Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

What's up with the red structure? What does it do?

I'm more curious about the coathanger wire spring under the big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giblet Plus! posted:

What's up with the red structure? What does it do?

Looks like a big fuckoff sway bar.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The red bar is an ARB (anti-roll bar, also known as a sway bar)

The "coathanger wire" spring is a tender spring, used to make sure that shorter, stiffer springs used on street-turned-race cars don't flop around at full suspension. Under pretty much any compression load it flattens. extension.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Beach Bum posted:

The "coathanger wire" spring is a tender spring, used to make sure that shorter, stiffer springs used on street-turned-race cars don't flop around at full suspension. Under pretty much any compression load it flattens. extension.

Ah, so it's there to take up slack at full droop? Neato. I've seen a few drift cars that could use something like that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

Interesting. Although now I think of it they look more like bed springs. How are they held in place in relation to the big one?

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
I installed a set of Airlifts into the rear coil springs in my '11 Crown Vic LX. The civilian CV's sit lower than the CVPI models in the rear. Springs are softer I believe. Just putting 2 people in the back seat and some luggage in the trunk makes it look like you have a load of dead bodies back there, or blown air springs. The Airlifts are inflatable bags that sit inside the coil springs, and have air lines that attach to a T junction with a schrader valve on it. Just air them up a bit, and it raises the rear end. They work good if you're towing too. I've got 28 psi in them, and they make the rear end feel better. More firm, and just a better feeling overall. Plus, I got the slight rake now I was looking for, as opposed to the slight squat before.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Replaced my tensioner pulley today, it's been growling since I bought the truck. It's almost eerily quiet in the engine bay now, the loudest sound is the injectors ticking away with the exhaust burbling in the background. It's kind of nice.

Also picked up a new water pump, as well as a caliper for my left front. There's what appears to be fresh grease residue on the wheel, and the rotor looks a tad darker on that side, so I'm thinking the caliper is dragging slightly and causing things to heat up. Gonna change it out when I get some free time next week, try and knock the pump out at the same time.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I drove the little white bastard today. It's all sorts of pissed off about setting for months. I think it's gonna need a new battery.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Installed my blow off valve with the help of a friend. Has a fantastic whoosh sound now and its adjustable so I can change it to silent if I want.

Bonus: Also had my DVD player and speakers installed by the local audio shop.

I unscrewed it from the floor and held it down with velcro so I can remove it easily if I need to transport something in a pinch.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Yes, the big red thing is a 30mm anti-roll/sway bar and the "coat hanger wire" is a tender/helper spring to take up slack on extension. The springs are held together by a spacer between the springs and spring preload.

The front suspension of the so-called transaxle Alfas uses double wishbones and longitudal torsion bars.
http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/65/Alfetta_front_suspension.jpg

On my car the coil-overs are in addition to the stock torsion bars (adjustable for height). Under static load the helper spring is almost fully compressed, but the load is carried by the torsion bars. The stiffer coilover springs load up after a few mm compression.

The rear suspension is also a bit unusual: dedion, Watt's link, inboard brakes and a transaxle.
http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/65/Alfa_Transaxle.jpg

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

rebuilt the rear brakes on the old Red Hilux- new drums and shoes and cleaned up all the hardware in there. Also did some work on the adjustments on the brake booster, so now the pedal actually has some progression rather than just being an on off switch.

Then the old man and I sat on the tailgate and watched life go by on the farm while drinking beer in the autumn warmth of Adelaide. Good times

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Nierbo posted:

I unscrewed it from the floor and held it down with velcro so I can remove it easily if I need to transport something in a pinch.

Really bad idea. Make some kind of removable bolt system or something unless you want to maybe find out how well your head is really attached to your neck.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finished putting summer wheels/tires on the TSX and all new wheels/tires on the Integra. I was delayed on the Integra by a stuck lug nut that took an air chisel to get off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lowclock posted:

Really bad idea. Make some kind of removable bolt system or something unless you want to maybe find out how well your head is really attached to your neck.

Also no longer considered permanently attached and not covered by car insurance.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Washed, clay barred and waxed my car. I would have polished it as well before waxing, but I forgot to bring it to my parents' heated garage, and all the stores were closed.

If you've never tried using a clay bar before, seriously give it a go. It's nothing short of pure magic. I used it on my windshield too, and it picked up more gunk that I thought possible. 12 years of embedded dirt, finally gone.

Oh yeah, and I used good old Turtle Wax Hard Shell Shine, it's the best wax ever because it's got a dapper turtle in a top hat on it :wotwot:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Bovril Delight posted:

Also no longer considered permanently attached and not covered by car insurance.

Ha, insurance doesn't cover your stupidly expensive stereo equipment anyway, unless you have a separate clause for it. Same applies to aftermarket wheels and tires. Or you get a $1000 deductible.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
New brake pads and fluid, changed oil, plasti-dipped my wheels black, and got two new rear tires.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EightBit posted:

Ha, insurance doesn't cover your stupidly expensive stereo equipment anyway, unless you have a separate clause for it. Same applies to aftermarket wheels and tires. Or you get a $1000 deductible.

Depends on your policy (and state).

My insurance will cover any aftermarket stereo equipment permanently attached to the car, up to $1000.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

EightBit posted:

There's no one answer to what insurance will or will not cover, sorry to squash your impotent rage.

Beaten by str. That should be a fetish.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Mine covers a set amount, then you have to buy more coverage.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well, I replaced two out of three brake hoses, and soaking them in PB Blaster worked wonders for making them turnable. I encountered my first banjo bolt (so that's what that is for), and found the design on my pickup is pretty clever. Hard connection to the frame, which the fitting fits inside of. I just had to break it loose from the frame, pull it through that hole, and undo the flare nut.

Unfortunately, the rear hose was not coming off without cutting it, and it wasn't listed on Rockauto, so I figured I'd just remove it here and buy local. It was not at my local Napa - but is in town, so I guess I can get it tomorrow.

Two good things happened though, I found out my new socket set does have a deep 5/8 socket (I forgot deep sockets were included at all), and I did all of the work without needing to either jack it up or removing any wheels.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Lowclock posted:

Ah crap, I didn't even think of that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Washed, clay barred and waxed my car. I would have polished it as well before waxing, but I forgot to bring it to my parents' heated garage, and all the stores were closed.

If you've never tried using a clay bar before, seriously give it a go. It's nothing short of pure magic. I used it on my windshield too, and it picked up more gunk that I thought possible. 12 years of embedded dirt, finally gone.

Yeah magic isn't it? I just love how the paint feels afterwards too.

I'd have never thought of using one on glass though, must try next time I get to detail the car (got to wait for this drat water ban to pass)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Replaced the chirping/squeaking HVAC blower in my E46 today. What a pain in the rear end. Used a nearly identical E83 X3 blower that only cost $120 rather than $500+ and works perfectly.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Washed the bronco, and cleaned the interior. Meguiar's upholstery cleaner works so freaking well. I "borrowed" two cans of it from the detail department at the ford dealership I worked at before I quit.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ozmiander posted:

Sourced a 2.5 out of a 2001 Dakota for my YJ. With any luck ill have it here saturday and ill start moving accessories from the original motor in preparation.

$300 delivered. He left all the accessories, clutch, starter, harness, etc connected to boot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

Yeah magic isn't it? I just love how the paint feels afterwards too.

I'd have never thought of using one on glass though, must try next time I get to detail the car (got to wait for this drat water ban to pass)

Try cleaning your windshield thoroughly, then put your hand in a plastic freezer bag and feel the surface of the glass. I bet it feels like a cratered lunar landscape, even if it feels completely smooth otherwise. The plastic bag trick really surprised me.

And I just love how you can actually feel the clay working when you use it. You can feel all the grit being picked up until the paint feels completely smooth, it's a great feeling.

After I was done waxing it, my dad showed me how they used to check their wax jobs back when he worked at a service station. You take a handful of cotton waste used for polishing and scoot it across the hood. On an unwaxed car, it'll catch and stick. On a properly waxed car, it'll scoot across almost frictionless.

Then he told me that my car "shone like cat poo poo in the moonlight" :wtf:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 7, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Plastidipped the wheels black. It looks 10x better than white wheels.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So what is the plastidip process like? Any issues?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

So what is the plastidip process like? Any issues?

Literally idiot proof. You don't even have to take the wheels off although its easier laying the wheels flat to get all the angles.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The only real issues I have are that if you're not careful its pretty easy to make it get all orange-peely. Multiple light coats is really the key.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think I've put all the patches on this one that it can take. I know this isn't more than 6 or 7 Sockingtons of rust, but I'm not good enough to weld to rust. The exhaust has just kinda been wafting out of the wheel well.

I put my passenger's side window down a couple of days ago and it stopped moving entirely at about 3/4 of the way up so I'm also re-flowing the solder on some Lucas poo poo (window lift ECU).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh yeah, and I used good old Turtle Wax Hard Shell Shine, it's the best wax ever because it's got a dapper turtle in a top hat on it :wotwot:

Was going to do this today, but upon reflection the wind was just too crazy. I live in a wind tunnel which magnifies whatever the ambient wind is. This was a good choice because I now see it's raining, despite the forecast saying otherwise.

Instead, I'm spending the day learning the ins and outs of using a Porter Cable with the always awesome Junkman2000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

:allears:

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Happy Birthday to me! Also, Ferrari's are senior hating heat seeking missiles.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Finally found a good way to clean these:

Neither of my 12v outlets have worked since I got the car, so I "fixed" (they were both unplugged) them. Used a low-profile USB car charger and hid as much of the cabling as possible. Connected it to my car mount for my cellphone. When I get a new head unit I will hardwire the phone to the car charger. Changed my oil and inflated my tires to the proper PSI. Overall a productive weekend.

My car has recently hit 100k so I will be doing a bunch of maintenance this Spring and Summer.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Amandyke posted:

Happy Birthday to me! Also, Ferrari's are senior hating heat seeking missiles.

Oh no :( If it's really your birthday happy birthday I guess? Don't go out next year and I can almost guarantee your next birthday will be 1000% better.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

General_Failure posted:

Oh no :( If it's really your birthday happy birthday I guess? Don't go out next year and I can almost guarantee your next birthday will be 1000% better.

Wasn't my Ferrari :) How many people can say they wrecked a Ferrari on their birthday.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Finally found a good way to clean these:

You can't just say that and not share.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Changed oil on the wife's 4runner and also the air filter. The PO had a K&N in there that was filthy as hell.

Edit: they put the oil filter in a really obnoxious spot too.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Got the most powerful engine $250 can buy.