Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I actually played a game last night against a list dubbed the Griffon Lawnmower, eKaya with 4 Griffons, a Gorax, Sentinel stone and some other pieces. Having 4 POW 14 MAT 8 Primal'd Griffons trample over your army then teleport back to Kaya to frenzy onto worthless stick was is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Are there any Menoth casters who can run Idrian Skirmishers? Try as I might, I can never justify taking the full unit, even though I love the models. All I can think of is pSeverius putting Defensive Ward on them, and there are probably better uses for that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

pospysyl posted:

Are there any Menoth casters who can run Idrian Skirmishers? Try as I might, I can never justify taking the full unit, even though I love the models. All I can think of is pSeverius putting Defensive Ward on them, and there are probably better uses for that.

Testament synergizes decently with them as Ashen Veil makes them DEF 17 (granted only against stuff that doesn't ignore concealment) and 15 in melee. And with Revive you never lose Prey.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Not really-ish, most defensive buffs are better utilized on other units . They're honestly too expensive nowadays thanks to them being the poo poo in Mk1 and getting hit a little too hard with the nerf hammer. pMagnus actually kinda likes'em with Snipe though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Vulich the Subtle posted:

I feel as if I could use a different line of reasoning we'd eventually figure out we're all agreeing but I drat well just can't figure out the best way. I disagree with the statements being made but I don't disagree with the vast majority of the conclusions; I'm apparently used to good play having to be explicitly pointed out and not assumed.

At the very least we got a good scrap out of the deal, even if I appear to be some sort of howling autistic scrublord. :v:

I honestly think that you are really over-stating the reach and significance of the voices that you're having problems with.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

pospysyl posted:

My first thought is pKreoss honestly. But he does everything.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
On a note that has nothing to do with MK; I made a little purchase to expand my Khador collection. I picked up a full unit of Demo Corps, Three Iron Fang Ulhans, Kovnik Markov, a unit of widowmakers. pButcher, two Destroyers, a Juggernaut, and perhaps two other casters? I want to say pSorcha and pIrusk, but I'm not certain. Got it all for $165 USD, and I'm more than likely going to re-sell the jacks and widowmakers.

I'd just like thoughts on whether or not I got fair value for third-hand models.

Secondarily - does anyone have some experience with Kahdor cavalry? I've never played them and I'm very afraid of sending them into the wrong unit/beast/jack and wasting 7/11 points in a game. Thoughts?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Duderclese posted:

Secondarily - does anyone have some experience with Kahdor cavalry? I've never played them and I'm very afraid of sending them into the wrong unit/beast/jack and wasting 7/11 points in a game. Thoughts?

Play them with Iron Flesh 'Casters; Def 16 Arm 17 ain't nothing to sneeze at, and it'll help them survive long enough to get them to their targets. Bonus points if you play them with the pButcher to get them there with Frenzy + Feat (Mat 8 Pow 19 Weaponmaster 13" charges FTW and all).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

pospysyl posted:

I'm going to be tooling around with them soon so I will let you know. I think Vindictus will like them since True Path lets me assault and battery all I want, picking off support pieces while my jacks advance up-field. I'll probably use something like this:

Vice Scrutator Vindictus +6

Reckoner 8
Vanquisher 8

Vessel of Judgement 9

Choir min 2
Idirian Skirmishers full + UA 13
Zealots min 4

Wracks 1

I might change out the Zealots but in my experience the Sacrificial Pawn comes up way too much for me to ignore. If I was going to switch it out I would put in the Covenant for 2 (Fire weapons hitting on turn one? Yah baby) and a Vassal for some jack love.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Duderclese posted:

Whatever you do, do not put them anywhere near an Earthborn Dire Troll, or put them anywhere near your caster if you're playing against a Troll list with an EBDT, unless you enjoy the idea of a beast that hits at between POW 22-26 with 7 attacks.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I'm on a roll!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Duderclese posted:

They're really cool with Vlad3. I don't own Uhlans (and I don't know Markov that well) but I would use them if I did with Vlad3 and any Iron Flesh caster with a damage buff. They aren't the kind of thing you put in every list, but they go real fast and they're never overkill against a colossal. I take Fenris and MoW Drakhun with Vlad3; they don't hit as hard as their same points' worth in Uhlans, but they do it more accurately and Terror and Counter-Charge gently caress up peoples' plans a lot more unpredictably. They also require a bit more effort to kill. But if you've got the benefit of a spell that buffs a single unit (like Iron Flesh) and you're taking cavalry, Uhlans or Outriders are the way to go.

I also take Gun Carriage, frequently with Vlad3 and sometimes with Sorscha2 and Butcher1. That thing's awesome. Horses are awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

pospysyl posted:

Id say pKreoss and Thyra. With kreoss they have incredible offensive output, and with Thyra occultation can keep them relevant most of the game unless there are gunmages/etc on the table.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Looking at them in the book, I don't think I'd ever take them without the UA. (I'm not a Protectorate player and have never seen them on the table; this is just reading comp.) Paying 6/10 for an incredibly unremarkable skirmishey unit with AD, CRA, and Pathfinder seems like an exercise in futility--they have the worst base defensive stats I'm aware of (except Kossites, which I looked up for the next chunk of this sentence) and they hit with only one more POW than the (maligned) 4/6 Kossite Woodsmen (who incidentally also have worse attack stats--they really do suck, huh). At least when you pay 9/13 you've got Assault & Battery, a minifeat that lets them survive the AOEs that will otherwise annihilate them, three extra melee attacks, and Prey. I don't think paying 9 points for 8 of those dudes with 9 melee attacks is actually a horrible idea, all things considered; if they were in Khador I might occasionally take them. Neat models, too. I think they honestly look pretty cool if you have a plan for them. Of course, they're competing with a lot of other amazing infantry.

Are there any Mercenary charters that can take Idrians? They're an Ally unit but Highborne is just Cygnar affiliates and Four Star is Cryx/Khador, right?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Magnus can take them in his tier thingy majiggy, and he has Snipe and Blur which is obscene on them. You're pretty accurate in your summary of Idrians and they're leftovers from MK1 when they were horrendously broken to the point of obscenity. Unfortunately, they're pretty poor in Menoth compared to our other infantry options, not because they are bad in anyway, but because they are so expensive.

Also their guns need +2 RNG.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Idrians, like Circle's Reeve Hunters, were casualties of a combination of over-balancing and over-costing of MK1 CRA units. They were awesome in MK1, so during the field test both took a hit from the nerf bat(losing abilities and/or stats), while having a very high point cost assigned.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What kind of melee infantry does Siege like to have at the 35/50 point levels? Tarpit stuff like Boomhowlers?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jesus Christ, Incubi are a pain in the arse to assemble.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Thanks for all the Khador Cav info gents! I'm definitely looking to get some more games in with Vlad3. I'll be filling the Uhlan unit out later this week, and I already own the MoW Drakhun. Looks like the Vlad3 Cav party is almost complete! Just need to get Fenris in there. :black101:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Duderclese posted:

Thanks for all the Khador Cav info gents! I'm definitely looking to get some more games in with Vlad3. I'll be filling the Uhlan unit out later this week, and I already own the MoW Drakhun. Looks like the Vlad3 Cav party is almost complete! Just need to get Fenris in there. :black101:

Honestly, I think they're stellar with any of the Vlads. Vlad 2/3 just make them murder machines and Vlad1 makes anything a murder machine.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Since it's hard to just stand on one (Cygnar) leg, I've ordered some Skorne: the Battlebox, Paingivers, and an Agonizer, bringing me to 15 points. In the future, I really dig the look of Praetorian Swordsmen and what Makeda1 (or 2) can do for them, but I'm still too new to the faction, and hordes in general, to know where to go from here. So, any Skorne advice would be greatly appreciated! Particularly a sample list bringing me up to 35 points with either Makedas would be great, as well as general tips - for example, am I shooting myself in the foot if I take the Swordsmen over the Nihilators?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

S.J. posted:

Honestly, I think they're stellar with any of the Vlads. Vlad 2/3 just make them murder machines and Vlad1 makes anything a murder machine.

Yeah--Duderclese, don't take the fact that I didn't mention Vlad1/Vlad2 as an indictment. I've actually never played either, but I expect he'd be good with both. Probably pIrusk and Strakhov, too, though I've never played either. (I tend to concentrate on just a couple of casters when I do a faction--I've had Circle for ages but still haven't played pKaya outside of a battlebox game or pBaldur or Grayle or Cassius at all!)

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Hoboskins posted:

I was reading through same random crap on the PP forums and came across this disappointing piece of news

"Right now we don't plan for the Convergence of Cyriss to be added to the regular rotation of updated armies in our WARMACHINE anthology books (Cygnar, Khador, the Protectorate of Menoth, Cryx, and the Retribution of Scyrah), but we will likely add new models to their ranks from time to time. " PPS_Simon

Which kinda sucks my understanding was they were to be a fully fleshed out faction but it seems this is not the case.

Crossposting from the official forums:
My biggest fear with them not being in the regular update list is that it's combined with the lack of merc support. If it was one or the other, that would be fine. But mercs would help fill holes in the release schedule and help to round out the army when it has less options available to it.

I know the lore and blahblah all flesh is inferior, but if there was some fluff reason for them to be Gatorbros, or OK with the mindset of the rhulicfolk or something, it would help everyone fill out a viable army and make people whine less about release schedules and "wah, we have nothing to fill X gap in our army" situations.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Whats a good expansion path after the Cryx box? Skralloc thrall looks really good, and everyone recommends Pistol Wraith and Warwitch Siren. Would Bile Thralls / Satxis Raiders / Bane Thralls work?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Whats a good expansion path after the Cryx box? Skralloc thrall looks really good, and everyone recommends Pistol Wraith and Warwitch Siren. Would Bile Thralls / Satxis Raiders / Bane Thralls work?

Yes to all of the above. Satyxis and Bane Thralls are much better for pDeneghra than Bile Thralls if you plan on keeping with her.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Thanks, I'll probably pick up the Satyxis Raiders and Bane Thralls + some solos (Skralloc, Warwitch etc). I'm guessing the rules for things like the Siren and Pistol Wraith are in the Forces of Warmachine book?

Without having the rulebook handy, whats the interaction between Satyxis/Bane/Deneghra that makes them work well?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Denny is the ultimate turd polisher. She debuffs enemy units into oblivion. -2 DEF/ARM to the opponent basically is a +2/+2 to your entire army that targets it. So it makes any bucket of poo poo good, and Satyxis and Banes are already good, so it pushes them into overdrive.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

What kind of melee infantry does Siege like to have at the 35/50 point levels? Tarpit stuff like Boomhowlers?

Siege doesn't do much for infantry outisde of his feat. Explosivo is awesome on ATGM and Foxhole can make stuff like Boomhowlers even harder to deal with, but he really shines with almost any choice you could make. Forgeguard are awesome with him too

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If one were to get Koldun Kapitan Valachev, what merc units would go well with him? I re-e-ally need something to break my friends Harbinger tier list :sigh:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
In general Nyss Hunters go great with any Ranking Officer, and Aiyana and Holt are pretty good options too. When they come out the Rhulic Arcanists will probably be excellent matches with Valachev, or at least I'm going to try it and see how it works because I can't see any faults with Wizard + Wizards.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Tias posted:

If one were to get Koldun Kapitan Valachev, what merc units would go well with him? I re-e-ally need something to break my friends Harbinger tier list :sigh:

Nyss are amazingly good. Zephyr syngergizes very well with them.

On the topic of Khador, how has Vlad3 been doing? I actually bought two full units of Uhlans off a friend and never got to mess with that army. Has anyone done much with Vlad3+MoW?

also, after hearing how amazing eMorvhana is, I decided to delve into the PP forums and found two pretty nice videos of Will P using eMorhavana. They are pretty fun to watch and decent examples of what WMH games are like if you're new.

Mayhem Cup Round 3
Mayhem Cup Round 4

!amicable fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 7, 2013

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

:stare: Jordan's army is the most infantrymachine thing I've ever seen.

Thanks for all the Idrian advice! It's good to hear that my reservations about the point cost are shared. I'll definitely try Testament or an eMagnus army.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

pospysyl posted:

That's eButcher's tier list. It's pretty amazing.

Actually now that I think about it I'm just gonna link to that guys Youtube page in the OP because those games are really good to watch.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Tias posted:

Boomhowlers and pAlexia are great with Valachev too (I've only used pAlexia with him once but I've heard good things, and I can attest to him dialing Boomhowlers up to 11.) Harbinger's feat is pretty horrid, though--what caster are you running?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Thanks for all the Idrian advice! It's good to hear that my reservations about the point cost are shared. I'll definitely try Testament or an eMagnus army.

eButcher has the most fun-looking theme list I will never run.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Sulecrist posted:

As an aside, this is a very deep game with a very social and very centralized hobby aspect. The standard-bearers are at the top of the game for a reason. Jason Flanzer, Keith Christenson, Danny Modesto, Jake Van Miter (Meter? Metir? god) are not just loudmouths who've had some luck; they're the Bobby Fischers and Rod Lavers of this (much smaller, but still skill-intensive) game. This is not 40k or roulette.

Hey man I'm terrible at this game; I haven't even won a national masters yet...

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Hey man I'm terrible at this game; I haven't even won a national masters yet...

Shut up, Danny. You're going to Europe to rep our country, none of us want to hear it :colbert:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Tanon posted:

Shut up, Danny. You're going to Europe to rep our country, none of us want to hear it :colbert:

I'll have you know the only reason I signed up was for an excuse to go to Amsterdam.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I'll have you know the only reason I signed up was for an excuse to go to Amsterdam.

As someone who has watched Danny party, I believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Post faux-Caine PV. Do ittttt

• Locked thread