Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

My RAZR MAXX keeps trying to push an OTA update (currently rooted on 4.0.4, system version 6.14, I think). From my understanding you basically have to hide the root, update, then reroot. Anyone have any experience with this? Just want to confirm before I take the plunge and risk being stuck unrooted until they crack this version. Still debating a full ROM change, but I hear this update is the JB one, so maybe it's good.

A root tool exists for the Droid Razr Jellybean OTA

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/6924-root-achieved-for-jb-ota-razrmaxx-xt912/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I rooted, installed cwm formatted /sdcard /data /system /cache and installed cm10 on my att sgs3. I've not done any backups or restores or trial rom flashes yet.

I've done all that bolded stuff a lot on my old inspire, does it all work the same way here? saves cwm backups to /sdcard but otherwise leaves /sdcard untouched even though that's not really an sd? /sdcard itself is not part of the backup right?

My big question, Is /sdcard or external_sd ever in danger of being wiped while doing anything? Thought I read about some phone maybe a samsung that factory data resets wiped that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Wagonburner posted:

I rooted, installed cwm formatted /sdcard /data /system /cache and installed cm10 on my att sgs3. I've not done any backups or restores or trial rom flashes yet.

I've done all that bolded stuff a lot on my old inspire, does it all work the same way here? saves cwm backups to /sdcard but otherwise leaves /sdcard untouched even though that's not really an sd? /sdcard itself is not part of the backup right?

My big question, Is /sdcard or external_sd ever in danger of being wiped while doing anything? Thought I read about some phone maybe a samsung that factory data resets wiped that.
A factory data wipe will format the internal storage also, but just wiping /data will leave it alone.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Vykk.Draygo posted:

A factory data wipe will format the internal storage also, but just wiping /data will leave it alone.

Internal storage being /sdcard and factory wipe being from within the os? If I'm working within cwm I can't do anything to /sdcard without wanting to?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Wagonburner posted:

Internal storage being /sdcard and factory wipe being from within the os? If I'm working within cwm I can't do anything to /sdcard without wanting to?

I don't know about CWM, but TWRP has a data wipe and a factory reset option. The latter wipes everything, much like the option within android. If it says wipe data, I would assume it wouldn't wipe /sdcard and would hopefully tell you if it was going to. If you have a recovery that doesn't tell you, get a new recovery.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Has anyone run into an issue where contacts no longer sync? I have sync enabled but the last time it synced was 3/10. If I disable and reenable, nothing happens (there's a little sync logo next to the date).

I'm running CM 10.1 M2.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I attempted to root my SIII using this guide: http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/at-your-own-risk-how-to-root-your.html

And now my phone will boot but I get no signal from my carrier. I assume I'm bricked or hosed in some other way? How do/can I fix this? (I tried a factory restore to no avail.)

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I updated to the latest nightly on CM 10.1 (was previously on stable 10.1) to mess around with PIE controls, am I doing something wrong or are they not that consistent/responsive ?

I've tried all options of which side it shows up on but I can only get it to come up half the time (sliding from the border inward).

Edit: This is on a Nexus 7

Sendo fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 7, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I attempted to root my SIII using this guide: http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/at-your-own-risk-how-to-root-your.html

And now my phone will boot but I get no signal from my carrier. I assume I'm bricked or hosed in some other way? How do/can I fix this? (I tried a factory restore to no avail.)

Is your baseband & bootloader compatible with the ROM?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

UncleGuito posted:

Has anyone run into an issue where contacts no longer sync? I have sync enabled but the last time it synced was 3/10. If I disable and reenable, nothing happens (there's a little sync logo next to the date).

I'm running CM 10.1 M2.

Everything stops syncing if you're low on free space, is that a possibility?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I'm running CM 10.1 M2.
What device are you on? On the latest CM10.1 nightly on my Galaxy Nexus contact sync is fine. In fact I just changed stuff on the site and it instantly changed on the phone before my eyes.

Update to the latest nightly as the developer tools for debugging Google sync issues weren't fixed until after the M2 (I know since I submitted the bug report :smug: ).

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Mr Scumbag posted:

I managed to do the same thing to my S3 a while back (it was stuck in roaming mode, but nothing worked). I did alot of messing around trying to get it fixed, but if I remember right, I finally fixed it by restoring the factory default image. I used the manual installer exe that you can download from Samsung.

Here are some links that help explain the issue.
Links:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1852255
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1867442

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 7, 2013

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

LastInLine posted:

What device are you on? On the latest CM10.1 nightly on my Galaxy Nexus contact sync is fine. In fact I just changed stuff on the site and it instantly changed on the phone before my eyes.

Update to the latest nightly as the developer tools for debugging Google sync issues weren't fixed until after the M2 (I know since I submitted the bug report :smug: ).

I have plenty of free space and I tried the latest nightly- still no dice. Seems like quite a few others have this issue but it's something in Jellybean itself that's messed up. Something to do with individual contacts with incompatible info or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I have plenty of free space and I tried the latest nightly- still no dice. Seems like quite a few others have this issue but it's something in Jellybean itself that's messed up. Something to do with individual contacts with incompatible info or something.
What device? I've never heard of this and I've been using Jellybean for quite a while.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

LastInLine posted:

What device? I've never heard of this and I've been using Jellybean for quite a while.

Galaxy S3. Here's a bug submission with quite a few people also reporting it:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42641

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Thanks for this, my girlfriend ended up doing the update anyway while playing The Room, and this basically saved my rear end. Works like a champ.

Motorola's JB implementation is drat nice... kinda tempted to just leave it, because its not slow and bloaty like most default implementations (gently caress you, Sense), and it's really streamlined, for the most part. My only beef is no percentage view on the battery meter, that pisses me off.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I saw some mention in the thread earlier about LTE on T-Mo for the N4. Does it work fine as long as you use a custom 4.2 rom (CM, AOKP, etc) and have the right .33 radio? Or does it not work correctly with any 4.2 ROM?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tatsujin posted:

I saw some mention in the thread earlier about LTE on T-Mo for the N4. Does it work fine as long as you use a custom 4.2 rom (CM, AOKP, etc) and have the right .33 radio? Or does it not work correctly with any 4.2 ROM?
It won't work with 4.2. The radio controls sensors (I know it does the orientation, not sure about the proximity and light sensors) so all of those break on 4.2 with the old LTE compatible radio.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sendo posted:

I updated to the latest nightly on CM 10.1 (was previously on stable 10.1) to mess around with PIE controls, am I doing something wrong or are they not that consistent/responsive ?

I've tried all options of which side it shows up on but I can only get it to come up half the time (sliding from the border inward).

Edit: This is on a Nexus 7
This will corrected on the next nightly.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Thanks for the link, that's really helpful. I've always wondered what's going into these nightlies but I can't/I'm too stupid to be able to keep up with their gerrit.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Getting a hand-me-down original Kindle Fire, and I've been trying (and failing) to figure out if any of the roms, preferably Cyanogenmod, have gotten USB Host figured out.

Haven't been able to find any definitive about it, but being able to use a gamepad and USB drives with it would be awesome.

Any ideas?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What can cause a galaxy s3 to lose its imei? Still pretty new to this phone. I saw a couple threads at xda that give the idea that this is a big danger to anyone who flashes stuff and everyone should use some tool to back it up in case of problems. I never could figure out from those threads or googling what actually would cause this problem though. Rom flashing in general? flashing radios or something?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Does anyone know how yo remove Apollo from CM 10.1? Thing always crashes on me so it's time to get rid of it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

UncleGuito posted:

Does anyone know how yo remove Apollo from CM 10.1? Thing always crashes on me so it's time to get rid of it.

Install a file explorer with root privileges and remove it from /system/apps. Or just don't use it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Wagonburner posted:

What can cause a galaxy s3 to lose its imei? Still pretty new to this phone. I saw a couple threads at xda that give the idea that this is a big danger to anyone who flashes stuff and everyone should use some tool to back it up in case of problems. I never could figure out from those threads or googling what actually would cause this problem though. Rom flashing in general? flashing radios or something?

I believe it is something to do with an autorestore file they have. If something causes an error on boot, it will overwrite the current imei with the backup copy. Problem... This backup copy is blank. I linked a thread a page or so back that explains how to correct this. Myself, I've not had a problem since fixing it the first time.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Dyscrasia posted:

I believe it is something to do with an autorestore file they have. If something causes an error on boot, it will overwrite the current imei with the backup copy. Problem... This backup copy is blank. I linked a thread a page or so back that explains how to correct this. Myself, I've not had a problem since fixing it the first time.

Thanks, found your post. Wish I'd have seen that 1st linked thread earlier and have it be my 1st knowledge of this problem, it's explained pretty well what the issue is and gives some (much simpler & newer than I saw earlier) fixes/safeguards.

I did the part a of the 1st thread, the command line "reboot nvbackup" one that's supposed to make the built-in samsung backup sections actually work like samsung may have intended at one time before release. I'm going to do the part b flashable script that backs it all up to sd tomorrow when I have more time to read if that's ok on an att one. It's in the vzw gs3 section.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 9, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Install a file explorer with root privileges and remove it from /system/apps. Or just don't use it.

You don't have to use it for it to crash, it seems. I used it once back on my Galaxy Nexus, but I'll occasionally see a crash toast on my Nexus 4.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

Just disable it in the apps list if you arent going to use it, I had problems on CM10 with it constantly crashing but I prefer poweramp anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That's strange, I use Apollo exclusively as my music player and I've never had it crash. Getting it to recognize new music, however, took me a day of fiddling with it on and off.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

That's strange, I use Apollo exclusively as my music player and I've never had it crash. Getting it to recognize new music, however, took me a day of fiddling with it on and off.

It would work for a while but sometimes all the album art would go funny and then it would constantly come up with fc's until you cleared the cache. That was on cm10, im on 10.1 now but I disabled apollo anyway because I use poweramp.

I did quite like apollo tho, but poweramp lets me play by folder which is easier with my lovely untagged collection of music.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anime and cars posted:

It would work for a while but sometimes all the album art would go funny and then it would constantly come up with fc's until you cleared the cache. That was on cm10, im on 10.1 now but I disabled apollo anyway because I use poweramp.

I did quite like apollo tho, but poweramp lets me play by folder which is easier with my lovely untagged collection of music.
They've rewritten all the image fetching code since then (I'm pretty sure it was a nightly after the M2 merge since several Apollo bugs I reported against the M2 were resolved then but they had to do with playlist reordering so I could be wrong). Either way the image caching working perfectly now.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012
Good news for Verizon Motorola phone users, the bootloader for the RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD, & RAZR M are unlockable with the following exploit, already requires root. Looking forward to having a proper CM build on the phone.

http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2013/04/08/motorola-bootloader-unlocking/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

David Mountford posted:

Good news for Verizon Motorola phone users, the bootloader for the RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD, & RAZR M are unlockable with the following exploit, already requires root. Looking forward to having a proper CM build on the phone.

http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2013/04/08/motorola-bootloader-unlocking/

With the huge caveat of it doesn't work on unrooted 4.1.2 Moto devices.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

With the huge caveat of it doesn't work on unrooted 4.1.2 Moto devices.

Yeah, big caveat, hence it requiring root already. I'm really glad I didn't take that OTA at this point. If anyone is interested, details of the exploit can be read here: http://blog.azimuthsecurity.com/2013/04/unlocking-motorola-bootloader.html?m=1 . Pretty neat work.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Are there any custom ROMs for Samsung Exynos 4412 based tablets? I have a generic Chinese tablet running one (you may have read in the tablet thread) and was wondering what my options were.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

4.1.2 is now rooted on Moto devices.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I've got this ancient Droid X original that's full of annoying behaviors, is CM the way to go? I'm not upgrading for a bit as I still have unlimited data and I don't really feel like spending money on a new phone right now considering how infrequently I use it.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I have an old Motorola Cliq, and no desire to use it as a phone. Is there a way to make it act like a Linux box connected over ssh via my home network? I was thinking about getting a new Raspberry Pi to do some web server stuff, but if there's a way to use most of the phone's features in a bash shell, that's be cool. Bluetooth stuff would be neat as well.

I'm probably asking for more than is available. It's just something that'd be cool. I know I could just write an app, but I haven't really caught on to how to develop for android yet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TVarmy posted:

I have an old Motorola Cliq, and no desire to use it as a phone. Is there a way to make it act like a Linux box connected over ssh via my home network? I was thinking about getting a new Raspberry Pi to do some web server stuff, but if there's a way to use most of the phone's features in a bash shell, that's be cool. Bluetooth stuff would be neat as well.

I'm probably asking for more than is available. It's just something that'd be cool. I know I could just write an app, but I haven't really caught on to how to develop for android yet.

Oddly enough the Motorola Cliq is actually old enough that it has lower performance than the Raspberry Pi.

Anyway, yes you can use it as a remote shell server. You will likely have issue getting software packages that will allow it to remotely use features like Bluetooth though, unless you're up for coding them yourself. To get a basic one going, a program like this will work ok: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.shkschneider.dropbearserver2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Does anyone running CM 10.1 have issues with audio messing up through any music app? It mainly happens while I'm playing music in the background and tap an icon or navigate to an app (glitches in the place where system sounds would normally be).