Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its monday morning for me and i leave for work in ~10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

echinopsis posted:

you made it a week with no booze, celebrate by chugging liquor on your way to work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Socracheese posted:

you made it a week with no booze, celebrate by chugging liquor on your way to work

well when you embrace something

echinopsis posted:

in an ideal world this would mean i have pants on already

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Wheany posted:

you want to see some video signal spergin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8uPdDT4mfQ

why on earth is a video of an nes game available in 4k

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pagancow posted:

It's only 2 o'clock here. A little early dont you think?

on a sunday? sunday's are the exception since a proper sunday starts with a) sleeping in b) sunday brunch with mimosas / champagne c) watchsport if it is that kind of sunday d) otherwise chill out and have a drink in ur hand e) go to bed early for work next week

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
aaaaaah single life

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

because bigger numbers means better, hasn't this thread taught you anything? :smug:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Bisqwit posted:

Be sure to watch in HD. This video was uploaded in 3416x1920 resolution, and for this once, it was not just because of pixel scaling! The game was really rendered in 1920p...
You might wonder: How does that make sense? Well, remember that in analog television, theoretically, the horizontal resolution is infinite. Here, I went the extra mile and actually simulated the NTSC signal processing at very high resolution to produce a quite authentic looking picture. It is not a mere video post-processing gimmick: The emulator really produces composite NTSC signal _only_ (i.e. no paletted RGB pixels), which is then decoded in order to produce image. This is relevant, because though the pixel resolution of the NES is just 256 horizontally, the NTSC signal generator actually produces signal that shifts a little on each scanline, and mixes adjacent pixels together by outputting pixels on a sub-wavelength precision. The actual horizontal resolution of the signal ends up being 2048, plus what may be required to reproduce signal degradation artifacts.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
In late 2008, five years after I founded TASVideos, the God of Israel, YHWH Elohim, renewed my spirit (Romans 12:2, Psalms 51:10, Eze. 11:19–20) and set in motion a new direction and plan for my life. As part of that motion, I eventually determined that it would be necessary for me to sort and prune my obligations. Thus I gave the TASVideos site out in 2009 to new owners. Since then, things have been changing for me rapidly at times and slowly at other times, so usually I am not very afar.

I have been called a jack of all trades, for I love to seek a deep understanding about almost everything, but some things clearly fascinate me more than others. That is also why I set up TASVideos. I like positively breaking conventions and expectations.

I am also a professional programmer. I read and write source code for a hobby. I enjoy reading clever, expressive and artistic code. In what I write, I wish to return the collective favor. Once in a while, I publish programming videos on my YouTube channel. Currently (6/2012) the most popular one is the one in which I created a high-quality NES emulator in 15 minutes.

People who talk with me often find the discussion steering sooner or later towards the Bible, which speaks something about what fuels my core.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
a lot of tas videos get uploaded to youtube at 1920x1080 because then youtube applies better scaling to the 360/480 versions then they would if uploaded native

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

echinopsis posted:

aaaaaah single life

it owns except when it doesn't

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

a lot of tas videos get uploaded to youtube at 1920x1080 because then youtube applies better scaling to the 360/480 versions then they would if uploaded native

yeah this is something we discovered over on the losers forum. i asked joe at youtube about it and he said that they still use the legacy pipeline for contentid reasons.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

because analog video has infinite resolution, duh :rolleye:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
only 4k can properly capture the warmth of analog NES videos

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

analog video is the new vinyl

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sony is releasing their new "4k" (*cough* UHD *cough) TV here soon

55Inch
3840x2160 (lol 4k)
$5,000 US

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/07/sony-4k-tv-pricing/#continued

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pagancow posted:

55Inch
3840x2160 (lol 4k)
$5,000 US

so what content do i play on it thats better than current HD?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

test videos

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni shot some timelapse on his DSLR and tried to encode some 5028px across thing into a video and then qqed when most codecs are too lovely to do more than 4096 across

YVCPOS bithc

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

let me tell u about SECAM,

isn't secam compatible with black and white pal broadcasts

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

nigga crab pollock posted:

Please I must know the answer

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

no such thing as black and white PAL

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
secam seems like the better standard tbh

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
why does it say pal/secam on the graph there bud

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

why does it say pal/secam on the graph there bud

because that system has been used with both. others are only pal or only secam

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

55Inch
3840x2160 (lol 4k)
$5,000 US

I saw one in TV shop and it was loving HUGE and the picture was pretty clear Given the size but it was $26,000 which is a little out of my price range [which is approximately 1/100th of that]

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sniep posted:

4k youtube videos, duhp;l

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
the p;l was my cat helping me post :kimchi:

also i really dont see the fucken point of 4k for any display less than 60" at a bare minimum

also we don't really need a new format when existing hd hasn't even been fully exploited, at least w/r/t broadcast

no idea if there's any room for improvement for blu rays

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

I saw one in TV shop and it was loving HUGE and the picture was pretty clear Given the size but it was $26,000 which is a little out of my price range [which is approximately 1/100th of that]

where do you shop that has 4ktvs or was it like a trip to disneyland or something

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

ahmeni shot some timelapse on his DSLR and tried to encode some 5028px across thing into a video and then qqed when most codecs are too lovely to do more than 4096 across

YVCPOS bithc

I'm still mad about this
thank goodness for motion jpeg I guess ufhgghbfsfh

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
wait what does 4k refer to
is it horizontal resolution because lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what if

the uk had gone with the baird television system

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

wait what does 4k refer to
is it horizontal resolution because lol

here's a bunch of words of what 4k can mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

• 3840x2160
  • 4096x2160
  • 4096x1714
  • 3996x2160
  • 2656x2664
  • 4096x3112

few of them don't have 4000 pixels across.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

the p;l was my cat helping me post :kimchi:

also i really dont see the fucken point of 4k for any display less than 60" at a bare minimum

also we don't really need a new format when existing hd hasn't even been fully exploited, at least w/r/t broadcast

no idea if there's any room for improvement for blu rays

hidpi screens own, posting from my mbpr

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

where do you shop that has 4ktvs or was it like a trip to disneyland or something

nah it was the local TV/appliance store. I can't imagine who would buy it, it was ridiculous. not sure if it was 4k but it was huge, like more than 80" or so, and was definitely more than 1920x1080

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

here's a bunch of words of what 4k can mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

• 3840x2160
  • 4096x2160
  • 4096x1714
  • 3996x2160
  • 2656x2664
  • 4096x3112

few of them don't have 4000 pixels across.

yeah dat poo poo pisses me off. not just referring to the horizontal but it aint even consistent

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Malcolm XML posted:

hidpi screens own, posting from my mbpr

im sure it aint bad but caring :effort:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
well hdtvs have been a thing for a while but hd content really wasn't a thing until much later

my dad got a 60 inch rear projection TV for like 3 grand and the thing doesn't even do 1080p and i grew up with the loving thing and I didn't even know hd content was a thing until like 2006

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

my dad got a 60 inch rear

might want to intervene and get him on a diet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

secam seems like the better standard tbh