Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If everything goes to plan, I should be voted on in May and then initiated in June before the lodge goes dark for summer. Even if it's after summer, it's all the same in the end. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

Sockington posted:

it's all the same in the end. :)

Ain't that the truth, fellas?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Tonight I get to watch my Senior Warden lead a second degree for the first time. It makes me proud that the hours of ritual practice, helping him with his memorization, and rehearsals have changed him from someone who never wanted to or liked speaking in front of others to someone who can lead a ceremony before a Lodge full of guys. More than any of my own accomplishments, it makes me proud when I see other officers' and members' hard work really pay off in a big way. What's more, next week he'll be leading another 2nd degree, as we pass a mutual good friend.

I think our candidate is really in for a treat tonight, and I look forward to sitting back and watching the show from my relatively inactive seat in the West.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Question about recognition of regularity--aside from PHA, are there any jurisdictions recognized by the UGLE that are not recognized elsewhere on a widespread basis? that is by multiple grand lodges and not petty squabbles like between West Virginia and Ohio from a little while back.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

New question. What part can I play in the funeral process as an EAM?

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

7thBatallion posted:

New question. What part can I play in the funeral process as an EAM?

Likely the same part that every other person will play. You will wear an apron, say a prayer and drop a follower on the coffin. Just ask the head of the funeral committee or an officer.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In California only the Master of Ceremonies and Chaplain have to be Master Masons, but conversely only Master Masons get to wear aprons at a Masonic funeral (this was clarified for me after a past Inspector saw a bunch of our EAs and FCs in white aprons at a recent funeral). In addition to be a Master of Ceremonies one must be certified in the funeral ritual.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Can I be a Pall Bearer or just there for support?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Straithate posted:

You will wear an apron, say a prayer and drop a follower on the coffin.

Question -- does one need to first incapacitate the follower in some way, or is it assumed that they will claw their way back off of the coffin?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Effingham posted:

Question -- does one need to first incapacitate the follower in some way, or is it assumed that they will claw their way back off of the coffin?

Of course we incapacitate the follower before the ritual. What kind of barbarians do you think we are, that we'd risk their escape?

The means of incapacitation is of course a secret.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

FreshFeesh posted:

It makes me proud that the hours of ritual practice, helping him with his memorization, and rehearsals have changed him from someone who never wanted to or liked speaking in front of others to someone who can lead a ceremony before a Lodge full of guys.

This is one of the things I LOVE about Masonry. It happened with me. When, after my EA, the WM asked in open Lodge for me to stand up and if I had any words or thoughts about the ceremony, and for a few words about why I became a Mason - I was nervous, stuttering, and so forth. Now, ~5 years later, I'm not afraid to stand up at a Stated Meeting and address the Wardens and Brethren.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Sockington posted:

Tonight I meet a former Masonic Grand Master of Ontario and the other guys from a local lodge that a friend is a member of. Hope this goes well :downs:

I don't suppose it was Raymond J. Daniels by any chance? I don't think you're in my neck of the woods (KW), but Daniels gets around.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, heading to a funeral this Saturday. Helped with the practice, stood in as the bible bearer, WM forgot I was an EA and had me sign as a MM. The practice was fun, dreading the actual funeral. I lack black suits, and the armbands will be last minute. So we'll see how this all turns out.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

7thBatallion posted:

Well, heading to a funeral this Saturday. Helped with the practice, stood in as the bible bearer, WM forgot I was an EA and had me sign as a MM. The practice was fun, dreading the actual funeral. I lack black suits, and the armbands will be last minute. So we'll see how this all turns out.

Don't worry too much about the suit not being dark enough, as long as it's neat and tidy, you'll be fine. Everyone will be happy to have you along, it's great to see some of the youngins turn up at this last sad office to departed merit.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

Don't worry too much about the suit not being dark enough, as long as it's neat and tidy, you'll be fine. Everyone will be happy to have you along, it's great to see some of the youngins turn up at this last sad office to departed merit.

Exactly. Just look nice and it will be very appreciated that you are there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Had a couple Prince Hall Masons at our lodge last night, they looked so good it put us all to shame :(

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Found out that both my great grandpa and grandpa were Masons. This is the inside of one of the books I found. It's a 93 year old book, Constitution and Ceremonies California 7th Edition.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ded posted:

Found out that both my great grandpa and grandpa were Masons. This is the inside of one of the books I found. It's a 93 year old book, Constitution and Ceremonies California 7th Edition.

Wow, that's really neat. My great-grandfather was a Mason in Riverside at about the same time. Corona Lodge is no longer around, and as near as I can tell it merged with Pasadena Lodge #272 sometime around 1990.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

stubblyhead posted:

Wow, that's really neat. My great-grandfather was a Mason in Riverside at about the same time. Corona Lodge is no longer around, and as near as I can tell it merged with Pasadena Lodge #272 sometime around 1990.

My mother lodge is in Corona, and is a merged lodge (Temescal Palms #314). Which lodge was it?

I'm also familiar with the Riverside lodges, since that's where I grew up.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Any of you CA goons attending the Shrine Circus next weekend? I believe I'll be working to some extent on the ChildID project that Saturday, if you'd like to come say whatup.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

My mother lodge is in Corona, and is a merged lodge (Temescal Palms #314). Which lodge was it?

I'm also familiar with the Riverside lodges, since that's where I grew up.

He was a member of Evergreen Lodge #259. The GL down there was able to send me his degree dates, but that was about it. Evergreen's web presence is basically non-existent, so I haven't been able to find much else about his masonic career. Not that I've tried all that hard, mind you, but it would be cool to see his name on a list of past masters or something like that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

stubblyhead posted:

He was a member of Evergreen Lodge #259. The GL down there was able to send me his degree dates, but that was about it. Evergreen's web presence is basically non-existent, so I haven't been able to find much else about his masonic career. Not that I've tried all that hard, mind you, but it would be cool to see his name on a list of past masters or something like that.

I am aware of Evergreen lodge, though I never visited.

It looks like they have a shared website at socalmasons.com

Here's an old Trestleboard with their phone number, just call up and ask the Secretary to find the info and send it to you: http://www.socalmasons.com/uploads/ev01-11tb.pdf

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
Gents, any good masonic podcasts you can think of?

I regularly listen to 'The Life Masonic', 'Whence Came You?', and the Australian 'Freemasons Queensland podcast', but I no longer listen to 'Masonic Central' as it is too grainy and chalky.

Thoughts?

Also any tips for a travelling brother to the USA (the end of this month)? I have a letter all sorted, but I'm told I'll need to have a dues card (which we don;t have in Aust)....

Would the usual vetting process to visitors apply??

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
If you have a contact at a lodge you're intent on heading to, I would explain that. Also, a formal letter of introduction from your own lodge secretary, in addition to certificates showing (whatever degree you are) would probably (in my experience) suffice in addition to standard testing. We do not have dues cards in Scotland either, so what I've outlined would be my own plan. Paperwork and such is just really supplemental to the usual tests, but well worth taking just to remove any doubt.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The combination of the letter, your MM certificate, and the usual ceremonies should be fine. Dues card checking is expedient but it's not necessary. However, be advised that a good few of our tokens and signs and passwords may differ from yours. Just give yours, and explain they're different if you must. When I traveled in Ireland I just had a letter of introduction from my grand lodge and when I was tested several due guards and sign were different, but they were similar enough and the Tyler fortunately new they would be different.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

The combination of the letter, your MM certificate, and the usual ceremonies should be fine. Dues card checking is expedient but it's not necessary. However, be advised that a good few of our tokens and signs and passwords may differ from yours. Just give yours, and explain they're different if you must. When I traveled in Ireland I just had a letter of introduction from my grand lodge and when I was tested several due guards and sign were different, but they were similar enough and the Tyler fortunately new they would be different.

I showed up to the Grand Lodge of Ireland with a dues card and was good to go. v:shobon:v

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
Thanks Gents,

Well I got an back from the Grand Lodge of Las Vegas today, and whilst it discusses a dues card, I suspect that commonsense will prevail.

Sadly I don't know whether a lodge will be meeting during my (short) visit.

On another note, have we done any formal intro's so if we have any 'country specific' questions we might be able to field them on a local level, and also get input on the differences from different parts of the globe? For example, I know that many US lodges meet weekly compared to a monthly meeting in Australia

For what it's worth, I joined my first lodge in Melbourne in 1998. After a few years away from the craft I've since come back into the fold and will be invested as an Inner Guard in July. We have the three standard degrees in the craft lodge, but recognise the Mark Master Masons degree as a fourth degree, and the Holy Royal arch degree (Chapter) as equally significant to Freemasons in Victoria.

We do have the 18, 33, Knights Templar, and Royal ark Mariners as well as many other appendant bodies, but the previously mentioned three are the most popular, Around 15 - 20% of those who attend craft also attend the Mark Lodges, however I can't be sure of the chapter nor Ark Mariners.

My fees are $212 for craft lodge (once a month meeting - $80 goes to grand lodge), and will be about $160 for MMM (which I will be joining in May).

Any questions for a down-under brother???

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yesssss, I'm moving to Minnesota this year and the Commanderies there wear cap and mantle, not the full Class A uniform. The cap/mantle looks so much better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
This thread is quiet lately. I went to my first York Rite stated meeting last night, and it was pretty neat. The first third of the year, the Chapter opens/closes it, the second third of the year the Council does it, and the last third the Commandery does it. Last night was the Council's first opening of the year, and it was a little shaky (every officer had their face in a monitor book the whole time). That kind of took away from it, but it was still enjoyable.

I spoke with our secretary afterward and he took me back in a closet room and showed me a Knight Templar uniform that was willed to the lodge by a recently deceased sir knight. I tried it on (jacket and pants) and it fit me like a glove, like it was tailored for me. :stare: The secretary gave me a Malta jewel and told me to take it all home with me. :stare:

Man, that's a good way to save some money. Now I just need a chapeau and belt.

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

QPZIL posted:

This thread is quiet lately.

You're right. I should give an update as well!

My group of 3 EAs are all just about ready to be passed - one hasn't had the chance yet to present his EA catechism due to work travelling, but he's ready to do it. The other two will be passed to the degree of Fellowcraft tonight, and I'm really looking forward to the degree, because they were initiated almost a year ago.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Do we have any Victoria, B.C. Masons in this thread? My wife and I are moving there soon and I'd love to meet some brothers there. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ari posted:

You're right. I should give an update as well!

My group of 3 EAs are all just about ready to be passed - one hasn't had the chance yet to present his EA catechism due to work travelling, but he's ready to do it. The other two will be passed to the degree of Fellowcraft tonight, and I'm really looking forward to the degree, because they were initiated almost a year ago.

Congrats! My schedule hasn't allowed me to coach anyone, but I am working with the District Deputy Grand Lecturer to become a Certified Lecturer. It's going to be a long arduous task, but I'm up for it.

Also, I just found out that I'm going to be recommended for the Allied Masonic Degrees, which is an invitation-only appendant body. Is there an off-chance that anyone here's been through it? They're tasked with preserving some of the old degrees that are no longer conferred in the US, such as Royal Ark Mariner, Secret Monitor, Grand Tilers of Solomon, etc. I love the esoteric aspect of Masonry, so more degrees is a-okay with me!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Had a meet-up with a dozen masons at a bar tonight for one of their birthday's.

Had a chance to meet a bunch of guys from various local lodges. Happy I turned an application in. :)

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
So do any Masons actually want women to be able to join?

Reading through the thread, some people have been very up-front that they like being part of an organization that doesn't allow women to be involved. Others have sort of skirted the issue by saying "welp, it's impossible, so there's no point discussing it."

For those who are perfectly fine with being part of an organization that excludes women: what if Masonry had also always had a "whites only" requirement? If you are white, would you be equally comfortable being a member? If you are not white, would you be comfortable being excluded ("oh well, that's just the rules, too bad I can't join")? Why / why not?

In 100 years, how do you think society will view the "no women" rule?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Carbolic posted:

Reading through the thread, some people have been very up-front that they like being part of an organization that doesn't allow women to be involved. Others have sort of skirted the issue by saying "welp, it's impossible, so there's no point discussing it."

For those who are perfectly fine with being part of an organization that excludes women: what if Masonry had also always had a "whites only" requirement? If you are white, would you be equally comfortable being a member? If you are not white, would you be comfortable being excluded ("oh well, that's just the rules, too bad I can't join")? Why / why not?

In 100 years, how do you think society will view the "no women" rule?

I don't want mainstream Freemasonry to become co-ed, I enjoy it as it is. As far as whites only policy that was sort of in place in the United States at some point, though Prince Hall lodges have been around almost as long as the Unites States has.

Anyway, I'd venture to say most masons in the United States enjoy it being male only.

EDIT:

Also this matter is addressed in the OP and on the first page of the thread. I wish this question would go away: I don't want to join P.E.O. and I don't ask their members loaded questions regarding race as to why men can't join.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 7, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It has been a while since we've had this conversation.

But then again, a long time is not long enough.

Fraternity comes from the Latin word "frater" meaning brother.
Sorority comes from the Latin word "soror" meaning sister.

Are you arguing that all fraternities and sororities should be co-ed? Wait, what am I saying, we've gone down this rabbit hole before.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Carbolic posted:

I think 7thBatallion said he did on the Washington Grand Lodge facebook page. :)

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

QPZIL posted:

Are you arguing that all fraternities and sororities should be co-ed? Wait, what am I saying, we've gone down this rabbit hole before.

I haven't presented any argument. I'm asking questions because I'm curious whether members of a particular fraternity (the Masons) see any parallels between a fraternity and a "whites only" organization, and whether they think that posterity will view fraternities in the same light as "whites only" organizations are viewed by most of society now. I don't believe these questions been asked in this thread before. I agree with Lovable Luciferian that these can be considered loaded questions but I can't really think of a more polite way to ask. This is, after all, an "Ask us" thread.

There have been a couple of mentions in the thread about a former "whites only" rule as well as one mention of a former "no maimed man" rule. I'd be curious to hear more about those rules, how widely adopted they were, and how they were changed -- and what made those rules different from the immutable "no women" or "must profess belief in God" rules. The OP mentions a historical schism that resulted in parallel sets of lodges between white Masons and black Masons but it is not clear whether this arose from de facto or de jure discrimination.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Carbolic posted:

I haven't presented any argument. I'm asking questions because I'm curious whether members of a particular fraternity (the Masons) see any parallels between a fraternity and a "whites only" organization, and whether they think that posterity will view fraternities in the same light as "whites only" organizations are viewed by most of society now. I don't believe these questions been asked in this thread before. I agree with Lovable Luciferian that these can be considered loaded questions but I can't really think of a more polite way to ask. This is, after all, an "Ask us" thread.

There have been a couple of mentions in the thread about a former "whites only" rule as well as one mention of a former "no maimed man" rule. I'd be curious to hear more about those rules, how widely adopted they were, and how they were changed -- and what made those rules different from the immutable "no women" or "must profess belief in God" rules. The OP mentions a historical schism that resulted in parallel sets of lodges between white Masons and black Masons but it is not clear whether this arose from de facto or de jure discrimination.

I'm going to rephrase the first question for my own benefit, please tell me if I misunderstood the spirit of it. Will Freemasonry be on the wrong side of history for being a men's only group? The answer is maybe.

In regards to black men and Prince Hall lodges: that was and still is a massive clusterfuck. I've heard theories that Prince Hall lodges were rejected because at the time regular grand lodges in the United States thought their charter was bogus, which seems to be the prevailing theory today. Why they haven't been fully recognized and are still not recognized in some states seems to boil down to two main things in my view. The first of which being old racist bastards don't want to let them in. The second being a very weird issue of jurisdiction. We don't seem to like having two grand lodges in the same geographical region and the Prince Hall lodges in the united states want to keep their own grand lodges. Also many Prince Hall lodges don't want to become fully integrated with us.

The maiming issue is a whole lot easier to handle. Since once upon a time Freemasonry was an operative stone mason guild it was a requirement that a man be in good health when he joined so he didn't become a financial drain on the guild.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Carbolic posted:

Hey I can actually answer this one! :downs:

First: 100 years down the road... well. If the Masons are being looked at now as discriminatory, they'll still be looked at as discriminatory. I think that's just a price they pay for having secrecy so deeply embedded in the culture in the first place. It's a shame that it can't be explained without appearing a bit high and mighty about it (which, i have to admit, was a little off-putting in the last thread, but there were plenty of cases of non-head-patting responses that I appreciated, and I realized that 'high and mighty' was just my read on it), but considering what people join Freemasonry for, I can understand that it's seen as an equitable trade-off.

It's just a necessary evil, basically.

It's also not really comparable to the racist side of things that were prevalent for so long.

To wit: If you're female, and have no intention of trying to join a clandestine lodge, and aren't going to dickishly ruin the first three degrees for any dude friends you have, I'd recommend just looking up the rituals themselves. The moment you do, you get a very clear picture for why women aren't being allowed.

Without going into details, what would basically happen is this:

- Since there is secrecy about what a degree entails, there can't be any advanced warning. In the case of a woman, this could be read very, very badly. I won't go into more details on what this means, since you can look them up yourself if you're that curious, just, like I said, try not to ruin it for other people.

- If a woman gets (understandably) freaked out by this, she could conceivably take someone to court over it. Masons that are called to the stand would then be forced, under oath, to either uphold their sworn secrecy to Masonry and face severe penalties for it (doesn't seem likely, all things considered), or spill the beans on the entire ritual.

I mean, I asked about the sexism thing, too, but after I decided to look into it (since I am a woman and am not going to try and hunt down a clandestine lodge for shits and giggles, it's just not economical for me, nor am I that motivated), I got a good idea of what the point was. It's not saying that all women are prone to have shitfits over something like that, or that none of them can handle it, but given the current climate of gender relations in American society at the very least, well. I have to admit, I'd probably be more than a little uncomfortable, if not a little/a lot frightened for my safety given the disorientation involved, no matter how many reassurances I got. It's just that kind of thing. Men are more comfortable with it, don't need to think as much about that aspect of it, whereas women probably wouldn't be.

I think society itself, and its views on gender, as well as the culture of harassment and possible abuse, would have to level out a whole lot more before this would be a Thing That Could Be Done without overhauling the degrees, which, understandably, Masons would not want to do, nor should they. Besides that, I can't say it's unhealthy for guys to want to do guy things. There are plenty of times I'd rather just have a group of women to chill with, completely away from male influence, and I do have a couple groups that are exclusively female and not particularly inclined towards letting dudes in.

So it's not like it's a malevolent choice. In some cases, yes, absolutely, there are stodgy old coots who have been there for ages who still think women should be barefoot and pregnant, and some young assholes who think the same way, but that's peripheral, it's not representative.

Again, tell me if I need to edit anything out. I just figured that as an outsider who asked this myself, I could at least contribute my thoughts on the matter.

EDITED for more context/stuff.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 7, 2013