Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

[Super Hexagon] Cripes, you either have monstrous reaction time or you just built up the muscle memory required for the last few difficulties over hours and hours. I'm just on the cusp of beating "Harder" mode, I can't imagine how insane those last few difficulties must be.

As I was playing I did start thinking that if I was even a year older I probably wouldn't have the reactions to do this. I should finish all my action games before it becomes too late.

New 100% achievement games for this week:

Evoland - It's pretty good, very short though, about three hours long to get 100%. At some points it feels like it's trying to be a FF7 remake rather than an RPG parody, and the pacing of the graphical styles is a little off. You can grab it in a sale / bundle and occupy yourself for an afternoon nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Breadallelogram posted:

I think I'm nearing the end of Avadon: The Black Fortress. Can anyone who has beat it tell me how much is left once I kill Lord Carsta'Arl?

There's one more "mission" about as long as all the others and then a closing chapter about half as long.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Jolly Rover:

This is an all-around okay adventure game. Nothing to give awards to, but nothing to go burn either. It took a few hours to beat, and I used the hint system twice in some spots where I didn't want to try every possible combination of item use.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Beaten: Sniper Elite V2 Well, I only just bought it really, and all I played was the Kill Hitler DLC. However I did get the double headshot, wiped out both a guy's balls, and killed Hitler. Really, I think that's as good as this game is gonna get. :v:

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Demon's Souls (PS3) - Beat:
Last time I nulled it at the final boss. This time I went back and beat it. With a new character. Everything again from the start. Initially I just wanted to watch Squint's LP of the game to see the ending, but he gave good advice and it seemed really fun when he played it properly, so this is how I got sucked back in. I had already deleted my old character at that point, but he was horrible anyway so I now got to redo everything more efficiently. I got great info from the Wiki and LP. I even did some of the more elaborate stuff like farming geckos for ore and doing world tendency content.

The game can be really fun when you've got an idea of where to go and what to do. Bossfights are much less tedious with the right equipment. I hated the Flamelurker on my first playthrough but this time he was my favorite moment of the game. I still maintain the opinion that the game has some bullshit moments. The controls are a little spotty and the platforming seriously sucks. Also gently caress the Valley of Defilement. But with a general idea of what to do and a better sense for leveling and equipping your character this game is really challenging and engaging (as opposed to just being cruel and tedious).

I won't be doing NG+. I'm glad I went back and finished the job but I've had my fill and there's still much left to play.

McPixel (Steam) - Completed:
I would have expected something like this to be on Newgrounds. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't.. well honestly it's not much of anything. On each stage you've got a bunch of objects on your screen, there's a bomb somewhere and you have to click on the objects to interact with them and somehow defuse the situation. Find gags for bonus stages. The thing is that this game is incredibly random and it's impossible to tell what happens when you interact with certain things. I'll admit that the results can be very funny but it doesn't make for great gameplay. You try out all kinds of combinations to see all the possible results and then move on. The game is so unpredictable that it's just a bunch of clicking around after a while.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)
Dungeons of Dredmor (Steam)
+3 free slots

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat The Ball. I intended to give it a quick spin, but it turned out to be quite a lot of fun. The most negative thing about I can say is the constant nagging feeling "this is not as good as Portal" but then again what is? It's very easy and three first levels feel like they're tutorial to the whole thing. Some of the puzzles are pretty clever, some not so much and some are jumping puzzles. The choice of engine makes the gameplay feel good, you move quickly and jump nimbly. I personally also liked the whole Aztec ruins theme a lot. Also tried one of the survival levels. Not nearly as much fun. Definitely worth the time it took to beat the game and escape the underground.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Have you completed all of it?

There is the Portal themed level. :getin:

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
Hello,

the name's exotarih and I think I might have a problem. My list of not only unfinished but also unplayed games grows and grows and ... well, grows. Not only in games on Steam, but also through Gamersgate, GoG and through many other media. After seeing this thread (and quite a while before my registration here) I decided to open up a Backloggery account to tackle the problem but I, uhm, kind of put adding and managing this account in my backlog. But no more!

For now I won't buy anything unless I've managed to work through at least parts of my backlog. I'd be more than happy if any of the fellow backloggers added my either on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/exotarih) (not very many friends there :[) or on Backloggery (http://www.backloggery.com/exotarih). The latter might also be used in the OP, I think?

Anyhow, thanks for listening and happy gaming!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Welcome exotarih, the first step is admitting you have a problem, thankfully we can help.

I looked through your Backloggery, it seems you haven't touched Bastion, Portal 2 or Closure. The first two are great games with brilliant story / voice acting that should keep you engaged and can be beaten in a few sessions. The last one is relatively short and has a cool aesthetic, as long as you are willing to check a walkthrough if or when you get stuck on some puzzles.

Also don't be afraid to Null some games, you may find yourself getting bored or frustrated with some titles, so it's fine to put them on the backburner or even Null them out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of nulling, this last week of April was spent getting things out of the way.

Null: Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse. Turning Family Guy into a generic third person shooter is the last thing I expected. The Simpsons game actually played quite well for a generic platformer but this is abysmal. It's made worse by FG's homophobic, racist, rape laden, antisemitic bad jokes and repeated voice clips from the entire series. One of the jokes is literally "Jews are greedy money lenders" with no trace of irony. I wanted to LP this but I can't manage to get through it even to mock it.

Null: Lucius. This game is Hitman: The Omen. It's clunky and ugly but I quite like the concept of playing as a little boy with satanic powers stalking his household's staff. The kills are also brutally entertaining. I'll come back to this one later.

Beat: Adventure Time. I like platformers, I like Zelda 2, and I like Wayforward. I did not like this game. It's very lazily designed barebones platformer which barely utilized the imaginitive lore of the series its based on. The graphics are also horrendous (I was playing the regular DS version) with loving ARTIFACTS on the sprites like they were animated from jpegs. Wayforward proved they could make a good licensed game with Contra 4, Alien, A Boy and His Blob, and Batman on the Wii (and Ducktales looks loving awesome) but this was given to their B team.

Null: EVE. My friends stopped playing.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013

PowerBeard posted:

Welcome exotarih, the first step is admitting you have a problem, thankfully we can help.

I looked through your Backloggery, it seems you haven't touched Bastion, Portal 2 or Closure. The first two are great games with brilliant story / voice acting that should keep you engaged and can be beaten in a few sessions. The last one is relatively short and has a cool aesthetic, as long as you are willing to check a walkthrough if or when you get stuck on some puzzles.

Also don't be afraid to Null some games, you may find yourself getting bored or frustrated with some titles, so it's fine to put them on the backburner or even Null them out.

Thank you very much for the welcome! One recommendation of yours was actually a pretty big eye-opener ... I didn't even know I had a game called 'Closure.' Completely slipped my mind. However, it does look like a truly nice game (and a good one to begin working through my backlog, that is) and I'll begin with it. Thanks again for the recommendations! Next one will probably be Portal 2. Back then I enjoyed Portal very much and I'm intrigued to play its successor.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Completed Saira. Here's my completely unfair review: that game can go suck big floppy donkey dicks in Hell. It starts pleasantly enough, the aesthetics are nice and the gameplay is relaxed. Then I accidentally take a jump to the hardest planet in the game. There's a platforming Hell waiting in form of five timed obstacle course, with time limits generous enough to give you almost a full second of extra time! After more than a hundred tries it's completed and while the rest is easier and more relaxed the game is already poisoned in my mind. I think one of the planets bugged and let me have the final piece more easily than I was supposed to, but I'm not gonna argue with it. It's the least you can do.

If you're interested in giving it a shot, don't start from the furthest away planet. That'll just ruin your experience.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Completed the base Ego Draconis portion of Divinity II: Developer's Cut.

That ending really kicks you right in the dick. It's not like Mass Effect 3's original ending where it was poorly written and confusing, it's very deliberate in the way it makes you feel like a gullible idiot. It's probably some kind of meta commentary about how most RPG protagonists are gullible morons who will run off to do anything that anybody asked them as long as there is a shiny prize at the end of it. I like the cut of Larian's jib. There's an expansion though so I do get to come back from eternal prison and play more Legolas simulator.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
I forget the last time I posted, but so far this year I've beaten Anno 2070's campaign and completed Sleeping Dogs, Black Mesa and Far Cry 3. I also mastered Saint's Row the Third, I feel, by doing a second complete run through in co-op and maxing everything out to ridiculous ends, again. My buddies and I can't wait for 4 to drop this summer.

Currently working on XCOM: Enemy Unknown and replaying SimCity 4, ten years later with a much better understanding of how the game works and actually taking the time to learn the shortcuts.

I guess I have BioShock: Infinite but ehhhh.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Beaten Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror, Remastered, in about 9 hours. I played the original many years ago and I didn't really remember much. It's an okay adventure game and the remastered editions does add some nice touches to make the story more cohesive. Worth playing if you liked the first one, but do know Shadow of the Templars is a much better game.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Time for another round of "games everyone owns but no one has ever tried"! Played a bit of Brainpipe: A Plunge to Unhumanity. It's like an old arcade game: abstract shapes, very easy to pick up, kills you in about 10 seconds flat. A rather trippy experience. I'd expect it would be better if I could play it on a big screen and crank the volume up. As far as I can tell there is no way to actually win the game, you just play for high scores. The main weakness is the same as the greatest strength: it's fun in short bursts but like old arcade games you don't really want to play that long anymore. If you got it in a Humble Bundle, give it a go. I had a fun fifteen minutes with it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm giving up on Still Life and its sequel. It started out charming enough in adventure game fashion but when I can't just open a chest in the family attic, and instead I have to complete a tumbler puzzle to get inside, it's obvious the game is gonna be a hell of a slog and I have better games to play.

Only about 70 more games to go :v:

Edit: And screw Unreal Tournament 3 too, how they managed to make only a few small changes from UT2k4 and somehow ruin the game completely, I do not know.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 13, 2013

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Lavatein posted:

As I was playing I did start thinking that if I was even a year older I probably wouldn't have the reactions to do this. I should finish all my action games before it becomes too late.

I'm starting to get on in years myself, but after 15 hours I did manage to clear all the non-hyper modes in Super Hexagon.

That was a couple months ago. I'd been losing interest in playing Batman, though, so I picked up Super Hexagon again...

... and in the space of two and a half hours I'd crushed Hyper Hexagon and Hyper Hexagoner mode. I was genuinely surprised at the way I was failing to get utterly slaughtered. I think I'll be putting this back into the rotation because 100%ing the thing is now in striking distance, and I'm not getting any younger.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Beaten: Of Orcs and Men

I maintain that this didn't deserve the panning it got from the critics. A 40€ price tag is steep, as the game has the sparsity of mechanics and variety of content you'd usually find in a budget title, but what's there is very enjoyable. The KOTOR-style combat is more tactical and challenging than most games of the genre, the original fantasy setting is interesting, and the main characters and their voice actors are entertaining. I also liked the stealth in this game, it's fairly simple but works well. The goblin character can even the odds with stealth kills until he gets spotted, and then you can run in with the 10-foot orc and start smashing faces. It's nice that succeeding at stealth gets you an advantage, but failing isn't usually the end of the world. The game is also surprisingly bug-free, given how busted Cyanide Studios's Blood Bowl game is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RillAkBea posted:

Edit: And screw Unreal Tournament 3 too, how they managed to make only a few small changes from UT2k4 and somehow ruin the game completely, I do not know.

It sucked hard at launch but it's a good multiplayer game now after all the patches and content additions they released. Single player is still terrible/impossible though because your teammates are dumb as rocks and can't complete objectives.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Beat: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

I really loved the campaign. It felt better paced than Wings of Liberty, and the missions were a better balance of frantic battles and base building. I'm a natural turtle in RTS games, so I'm glad I got to play Sim Base on a few maps.

Beat: Heroes of Might and Magic

This game has haunted me since I was a kid. I played it all the time when it first came out, but I never finished the campaign. The difficulty is all over the place. Trivial early scenarios lead into a gently caress-you hard fourth mission, and it stays unpredictable for the rest of the campaign. HoMM 2 and 3 are definitely better games, and I'm looking forward to finally finishing those campaigns. I just had to get this out of the way first. Now, it's time to move on. It's time to heal.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Beat three more.

Alan's Wake American Nightmare: A really fun, fast-paced, combat-focused light version of Alan Wake. I probably enjoyed this more than the original to be honest. The camp might be a better fit for AW than pure horror/thriller. At the very least it was nice in a cathartic sort of way to play a stress-free session of Alan Wake. I also really loved the locations, particularly the Observatory.

Waking Mars: I'll just echo what everyone else has said already. It's fun, pretty, relaxing and all-around excellent. Only thing I didn't like was the ART AI, both the writing and the voice acting. I had to chuckle when Liang asked if it's possible to turn him off, you get the feeling the devs knew he was annoying. Very minor flaw in an otherwise splendid experience. I wish more games like this existed.

Divinity 2: Director's Cut: It took me over a year from when I bought it to get to this for some reason. It's very good. It's got everything I want from my RPGs, really. Nothing about it is particularly brilliant on its own, but everything comes together into a super fun, polished package. Orobas Fjords is one of the most unique areas I've seen in RPGs probably, just cause you don't normally see vertical space used so much. Combat's fun, loot is plentiful, quests are mostly interesting. The expansion is very different to the main game, interestingly. You're limited to just one town instead of big open areas, but Larian absolutely crammed that relatively small area with a huge amount of content. There is good world building there as well, with many locations and NPCs participating in more than a single quest (that's a bit of a pet peeve of mine in RPGs - when assets are obviously created for one singular purpose/quest it sort of exposes the 'design' behind the world). Good game, this.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Add me to the list of people who finished Divinity 2.

Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga: This game is very polished and enjoyable even if it doesn't particularly stand out. I went as a dual wield warrior because I think dual wielding is cool. I didn't use any armor sets because they looked dumb and/or gave me dumb bonuses. I somehow managed to jigsaw different armor pieces together and manged to get a matching outfit that resembled the armor on the cover of the game. I encountered odd glitches every now and then (like teleporting backwards in combat) but, that's Gamebryo for you. The beginning was pretty rough but, I still managed to pull through. I didn't play the Developer's Cut edition because I had DKS installed from a long time ago and didn't feel like downloading the game again for a cheat window. Also, I wanted to hear the music that plays during The Choice but, Stabbey's upload of it is broken and doesn't play for me. :(

Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines: I did not open it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
You'll never guess what Belgian RPG I finished today!

Echoing what the two posts above this one say about Divinity II. Watch the Developer's Cut movie that comes with it if you get a chance, it's about 15 minutes and it shows some of their vision of the game, which would have been pretty amazing if they could have done it. I imagine the expansion was meant to fill in a city-sized hole they had to cut out of the first release. Hopefully Dragon Commander and Original Sin can fulfill their promise more than Divinity II does. Despite it falling somewhat short, it's still very much a good game and worth playing.

Closing in on the end of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory this week, I think.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have both entries on Steam - should I play The Dragon Knight Saga or the Director's Cut?

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm starting to get on in years myself, but after 15 hours I did manage to clear all the non-hyper modes in Super Hexagon.

That was a couple months ago. I'd been losing interest in playing Batman, though, so I picked up Super Hexagon again...

... and in the space of two and a half hours I'd crushed Hyper Hexagon and Hyper Hexagoner mode. I was genuinely surprised at the way I was failing to get utterly slaughtered. I think I'll be putting this back into the rotation because 100%ing the thing is now in striking distance, and I'm not getting any younger.

:hfive:

I did feel quite proud when I beat hyper hexagonest, and it's super rare that a game actually makes me feel like I achieved something difficult. Go for it!

BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Really cool game, improves on the first in almost every way and has a charming childlike sense of humour throughout. The only criticism I have, and I'm worried that this will make me sound like a jerk, is that it never got hard enough. Certainly not even close to the nonsense that was going on in the first game's final levels. I understand that the game has a make-your-own-difficulty thing with the dance mechanic but it still would've been nice if maybe the optional levels cranked things up a bit.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Been pretty busy the last couple of months so I haven't played a lot of games. I did play some indie stuff I got from various bundles:

Beat: Closure: I thought this was pretty great. It's a fairly fun puzzle platformer and the art and presentation were actually pretty interesting. There were enough clever things done with the puzzle gimmick that it didn't get tiring at all. Took me about 8 hours and I really enjoyed it.

Beat: Anomaly Warzone Earth: This is that reverse-tower-defense game where you direct some units to walk down roads single-file while they shoot at stationary enemies. It wasn't actually that bad, and I say that as someone who doesn't really like tower defense games. On the middle difficulty, the winning strategies were always fairly easy to figure out but somewhat satisfying to pull off. I also was really impressed by the presentation; the graphics were pretty good and I enjoyed how hilariously British all the characters were. My biggest complaint were that all the best tactics (which to me, it seemed like the levels were balanced around you using) seemed a little too gamey, like reordering your units instantly while they're under fire or moving your little guy ahead of your units so the slow-to-turn enemies had to waste like 10 seconds reorienting when they came into range. It took me 7 hours over the course of like 3 weeks to beat, but I probably would have gotten bored and quit if I had tried to beat it all at once.

Beat: Shank: As a fan of beat-em-ups, I thought this one was fairly fun. I never could figure out how the combat system worked beyond button mashing, at the platforming was too finnicky and easy to miss a ledge, but I enjoyed it. I think that it being so short (about 2 and a half hours) helped my impression of it, since it didn't have time to get repetitive. Since it is so short though, I'd only recommend it if you already own it (most people who buy the Humble Bundles probably do though).

Nulled: BEEP: This game sucked. It's a platformer where you play as a robot that looks like a cheap knock-off WALL-E and tries to be several types of platformers at once but fails at all of them. The physics puzzles are all easy and tedious, the enemies are boring and are only threatening because your character is too hard to control, and the only reason the collectables might be hard to find are because the levels are so empty. Also the game moves too slow and none of the levels are interesting. It wasn't a total loss though, because I got this game in a bundle with Necrovision, which was great.

Currently playing: Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Even though I love Homestar Runner, I'm kind of disappointed with this so far. Even though the humor's still funny, the game moves too slowly and some of the things you're supposed to do to advance the game are kind of obtuse. I only finished the first episode so hopefully it gets better.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I have both entries on Steam - should I play The Dragon Knight Saga or the Director's Cut?

Developer's Cut is the 'final' edition of the game but the actual game is unchanged from DKS, bar the developer console mode and a whole slew of bonus .pdfs and videos about the development process. My previous attempt to play DKS was stopped by a game breaking bug that I never encountered in Developer's Cut. Basically if neither is installed, install Developer's Cut, if DKS is already installed and DC isn't, then don't bother unless you want to see the behind the scenes stuff or mess with the cheat mode.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Nulled some games this weekend. Sometimes you gotta know when to fold 'em.

Nulled - Rush: It was fun, but got repetitive and lost my interest.
Nulled - BIT.TRIP Beat: It was okay, but not interesting or varied enough for me to continue spending my time to overcome the challenge of it.
Nulled - BIT.TRIP Runner: Same as above.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Beat- Far Cry 3. The best thing i can say is, the game was great, but the story and ending itself I wish I could forget. Especially the ending. That being said, I cannot wait for Blood Dragon to come out. I can count the number of DLCs I actually eagerly anticipate with one hand.

Nulled-X3:Terran Conflict. I really wanted to make my own mark on the galaxy from scratch, and I love Space simulation games since I was a kid, but I no longer have the time or patience to get into this game. Maybe X4 will fare better for me.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
BEAT: Two Worlds II - Ugh. I'll admit, I really enjoyed the first game. It had a cheesy charm, and while the mechanics were wonky at time (duct-tape, etc.), it was fun over-all. This game had none of that. Everything is grim-dark and serious, and all of the voice actors sound bored out of their minds (especially the PC). Controls and combat are clunky as hell, and the horse-riding mechanics are broken as hell. Lock-picking is more difficult than it should be, and while it is technically possible to bash locks with your weapon, there's no way that I've found to actually aim, so you're just swinging your weapon around wildly, hoping it happens to strike the chest or whatever and just happens to break it. I ended up just cheating and giving myself hundreds of lockpicks and auto-lock-picking until I got it (they often put quest-related items in locked chests for some stupid reason too).

I didn't use magic much, but from what I've seen, it's mostly just "combine cards together until you stumble across an effect you like", there didn't seem to be much logic to it. But magic is useless at low levels, especially in close quarters like caves. Speaking of caves, there were numerous times where I'd be fighting, cornered, against several enemies in a cave or room, and the camera was just zoomed in and swinging around wildly so I couldn't see what the hell was going on and just mashing buttons, hoping I was hitting something.

I'm a fan of open-world games, though, so I stuck with it much longer than I should have. By the time I got to the point I didn't care about the story any more and was getting tired of just about everything else, I had already devoted too many hours to it, so I felt like I *had* to stick out to the end. Kinda regretting it now. Act 3 on is a horrible slog. They remove your ability to use the teleport device, so you're running back and forth repeatedly to complete your quests. Oh yeah, and all the quests are either "go fetch this" or "go kill this", or sometime both. No variety.

The climactic scene was horrible, with a few twists pretty much coming out of nowhere (maybe they would have made more sense but I stopped paying attention by Act 3 because I really didn't care any more). And the final fight... Probably the worst final boss fight I've come across (except maybe Serious Sam 2). The boss can kill you in four hits, and the attacks are fairly rapid too. On top of that, instead of letting you use regular combat, it introduces a completely new mechanic never used anywhere else in the game. So you have to figure out how to use this mechanic to damage the boss, while at the same time avoiding the barrage of attacks. I ultimately just said "gently caress it", turning on the Immortal cheat. Even then it took way too much time since there's only certain moment where you can actually get the boss. Then the actual ending: spend the whole game preparing to go after the Evil Emperor, then once he's dead, oh wait, we have to pretend that he's actually still alive for some reason! :rolleyes: I bought the DLC a while back, I'm not going to even bother with it. Once the ending credits rolled, I exited out and uninstalled. What a waste of time.

(edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention a horrible side-quest that features parodies of Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (complete with terrible Shean Connery impersonation, I had to turn the speakers off during those segments it was so painful to listen to) and Monty Python & the Holy Grail, as well as breaking the fourth wall. It's not a hidden easter egg, either, it's an easy-to-find side quest.)

tl;dr - Two Worlds II has terrible gameplay, a lame story, and one of the worst climaxes I've see. Avoid it.

Anyways, I still need to finish Skyrim: Dragonborn or try again at System Shock 2. After slogging through TW2 though, I need something lighter, so I may continue with Wallace & Gromit (I beat Episode 1 a while back), or just mess around with Torchlight 2 some more.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 16, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Beat: Bioshock Infinite. This was one of my most awaited games for this year and I can say that it certainly delivered. Going full-AAA did indeed allow Flyoshock to shine in a way its predecessor couldn't, but not in a way that makes its predecessor look bad either. I'm most certainly on board for whatever Ken Levine does next.

Mastered: Defense Grid, AGAIN. This is a game that every time I 100% it and call it done (this time for sure!), the developers decide that nope, I need more content. Newest DLC is incredibly hard even compared to what came before, with 40 new missions and a bunch of new achievements. 20 hours later, it's all done. 87/87, high scores everywhere.

Up next, I was nearly done with Lego Harry Potter and Full Throttle. I believe I will tackle them next.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've been playing some FUEL. It sure is something. I was primarily interested in it for the open world it's set in, as its virtues have been touted on various occasions and locations over the years. On that aspect it does not disappoint, as the world is indeed stunning. First of all, it's absurdly enormous. I guess there are MMOs that are bigger, and Daggerfall, but presumably FUEL would rank up there on the list as well. A very pretty world, too, with a lot of variety in landscapes and scenery. It's a lot of fun to explore even if there is very little to actually discover.

That's about the best aspect of the game, though. The racing itself is merely decent, I suppose. I used the REFUELED mod, which gives you the option to unlock all content in all zones from the get-go rather than by winning races and earning stars in career mode (though the entire map is available in free roam from the beginning). Although I didn't use it myself I would advise prospective players to just go for it. The races are often very long and it can get frustrating to miss out on a win because of a late mistake. There is no prize for second or third place either, which is aggravating. You either win, or lose.

Since the exploration in Free Roam mode is the best thing the game has to offer I thought it disappointing that you can't unlock content/collectibles in a zone by reaching its camp in free roam mode. Frankly driving from one camp to another takes so long that it's practically a bigger achievement than completing a few races to earn enough stars for the next unlock. It's also more fun.

I think this is a perfect game for when you want to relax. Ignore the actual racing. The default music is crap, so set up a playlist on iTunes with some moody instrumentals and go for a drive (I thought Dirty Three and Ratatat worked particularly well). Use REFUELED to lengthen the day/night cycle for longer sunsets and sunrises. It's beautiful. If you're lucky you'll get a tornado or two on the way. Start at one side of the map and head in the other direction, making detours for collectibles if you've unlocked them in whatever zone you're in. The races could be rage-inducing at times (and I swear the game occasionally teleports opponents ahead), but this is much more like it.

It's also a real shame no one licensed the engine/tech and made a proper game with it. Feels like it could have been great for an open-world RPG or FPS.

Technically I guess I haven't beaten it, but I unlocked all the zones legitimately and that's good enough for me. Whatever races I haven't beaten were probably too annoying to bother with. Calling this done, but I plan on keeping it installed for whenever I feel like taking a ride.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 17, 2013

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The never ending battle against the backlog continues....

Beat - GTA : Episodes From Liberty City. Both a pleasant surprise after the dumb boring story that was GTA IV. Same type of sandbox, obviously, and both taking place in the same city, but oddly way more fun. Didn't really bother tyring to 100% either of them, but liked the main story lines a lot.

Beat - Critter Crunch. Picked this up for $1.49 or something like that during a sale. Ended up putting 18 hours on it. Contemplated 100%ing it for a while, but found some of the challenge levels to be way too annoying. Puzzle levels were great though.
Really - what's not to love? And you get this:

Beat - Driver San Francisco. Really liked this as well. I prefer my racing games arcadey, thanks. This delivered. A rather silly plot and all, but I liked the mechanics of switching between vehicles. Came close to 100%ing it, but once again - a few challenges just annoyed the crap out of me after a couple dozen failed attempts. All in all - a great game though.

Beat - Hard Reset. Enjoy shooting robots while not having a damned clue what the Hell the story is about? This is the Citizen Kane of the genre. Installed it thinking it was a standard FPS type of game. Wrong. It's more or less a Serious Sam old school circle strafer. Fun, but not what I expected. Only took 6 hours or so to play through on easy. (I set the difficulty down once I realized what it was.) All in all it was fun, but just don't ask me to explain the plot.

Beat - Strong Bad Episode 1. Some recent indie pack had the Strong Bad collection of adventure games. I'm not an adventure game fan really, but I do still enjoy the silly rear end Homestar Runner sense of humor. As others have said - the solutions to some puzzles are annoyingly random, but it was worth playing. Will definitely play the remaining episodes eventually.

Nulled / Putting away for later - CivCity Rome, Company of Heroes, and Tropico 3. Was excited about Age of Empires 2 HD coming out, and tried to get my RTS fix early. None of these really compare to the basics of AoE that I was craving. Played each for a few hours, but just wasn't enjoying myself. Back of the line for all of them.

Currently playing:
Age of Empires 2 HD - If you don't know this game by now, I don't know what to tell you. I'm still horrible at it.

Dead Island - Started a co-op play through with a fellow goon. Uhhhh. I can't put my finger on why, but this is pretty boring. If we ever finish it's gonna take a long rear end time, since there's always something better to play.

New Defense Grid DLC. - Bought it. Installed it. Just now tried the first new level. Got crushed. Still the best tower defense game ever though. But Christ do they just like to make it hard as Hell.

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed - Played a load for the first couple weeks I had it and now haven't touched it in a month. Pretty drat solid kart racer though. Completely way too hard for me on the higher difficulties, and I SUCK when playing online. Still, the kind of game I'll probably leave installed long term just so it's there when I want it.

New that I can remember since the last post - aka "why I'll never finish the backlog."
Kragger went and sent me Batman Arkham City. Four more Strong Bad episodes, Ticket to Ride, Puddle, and some things I can't recall.

Crap. Since the last time I posted, "unintalled - not played" folder grows from 113 to 120 titles.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat The Dream Machine, Magic the Gathering: 2013 and Lucidity.

Dream Machine was great. Definitely one of the better adventure games I've played. It's wonderfully creepy, the environments aren't sparse and the puzzle difficulty level was spot on. Worth it for the atmosphere alone even if you play it with a walkthrough in one hand. One little downside: it's episodic and it's missing episodes 4 & 5 (perhaps permanently). Still, very much worth it.

Lucidity was very bland. The story is "heartwarming" as a heartless corporation might understand the term. The actual gameplay is just dull and barely deserves to be called gameplay. It wasn't bad, I just have zero desire to ever touch it again.

MtG: 2013 was bullshit and chips. I spent almost 50 hours playing 2012 version of the same game so I expected a lot from this. But no, the deck unlock system was changed for the worse, the decks range from poo poo to bullshit and the final 10 opponents I cheesed with goblins. If you want a nice single player experience, get 2012. This is just crap.

Wargame: Airland Battle preorder beta starts on Monday effectively blocking out all other games for the next year or so. There's still World in Conflict, Bulletstorm and 13 Sam & Max games to knock off before that.

e: bonus beatage! Beat Ion Assault. It was almost great, too. Whenever there was a ton of poo poo on the screen and action was really hectic it was tons of fun. But all too often the game slows down and you're gathering plasma, firing one shot, then gathering it again while nothing on screen can hurt you. Boss battles were fun, some of the busy levels were a lot of fun, but generally speaking the game feels like a wasted opportunity. It was so close to being really good.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 20, 2013

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Some progress on some largish games.

BEATEN: Batman: Arkham City. Kind of a weird case. By pretty much every metric, this is a better game than Arkham Asylum, and yet, I enjoyed Asylum more. I was never super into the Batman mythos, though, and it does seem like the more you were, the more there was to find. Otherwise it's just a huge mass of irrelevant or overlookable detail.

NEW GAME/BEATEN: Knytt Underground. I'm pretty fond of Nyfflas's work (as a perusal of this very thread will reveal) so I picked this up once I'd cleared out my platformer backlog. It didn't disappoint, though it sometimes felt like it really wanted to. A lot of aspects of the writing seemed openly half-assed, but (as usual) the exploration and navigation-puzzle aspects were unmatched. I've poked around at platformer design myself on occasion and it's honestly kind of disheartening to see it done so well.

NEW GAME (sort of): Satazius. Got this in a package with Knytt Underground, and it's the only other part of that bundle that wasn't an immediate null. I've poked at it some and it feels kind of half-hearted. I may knock it out at some point or just shelve it as unworthy if it doesn't pick up.

I'm starting to plateau again in Super Hexagon with my top scores reliably hitting the 30-40s mark on Hyper Hexagonest. I think it's time I finally got around to playing Fallout: New Vegas.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Divine Divinity
The last 3 weeks, I've basically only played this game. What finally got me started on the Divinty universe, was the Kickstarter that Larian launched for their next game in the series, which looks absolutely great (SA thread).
I had a blast playing this, and I don't think I've been this focused on an RPG since playing the original Fallout games. Not sure if that is due to the old school feel (isometric and sprites) or my recent slog through most of Geneforge 1 before nulling that, but it was definitely a good and enjoyable game and even after 95 hours, I don't feel burnt out.
I might give Beyond Divinity a try, but I've read, also from Larian, that it was a publisher requested title and the devs themselves didn't really like it, so I won't feel bad for nulling that within a few hours of gameplay.

Nulled: God Mode
It's nulled for the simple reason that it's a multi-player/co-op focused game with no story or goal other than grind to get better weapons.
Beautiful graphics, 5 maps divided into 5-6 sections, and some of those end in a real boss battle while others just end. Very grindy and feels slow. Fun when playing with goons though, but which coop game isn't :)

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
So I beat a bunch of stuff! Then I went back and finally fully updated my Backloggery to be accurate to my current Steam load and ugh, there's still way too much. But I beat stuff!

Dishonored - Two playthroughs, one low chaos, one high. In hindsight I shouldn't have tried for a nonlethal full stealth run on my first playthrough, but I love stealth games and thought I'd enjoy it. I mostly did, though I probably would have appreciated it more if I'd played it a bit more organically. I didn't even end up getting the ghost or shadow achievements because I'm a goddamn idiot who thought chapter one was 'the prologue' and thought nothing of getting spotted during my escape. At least I got the achievement for not killing anyone. It was pretty satisfying to be able to go full blown psycho and murder the poo poo out of everyone the second time, though.

Anodyne - I had absolutely no idea what was going on in the story in the slightest. The entire thing flew miles over my head. Mechanics were all right, jumping can bite me, and most of my boss fights consisted of no-strategy ramming wildly into them to kill them before they killed me. Level design was extremely rad, though. Didn't care enough to keep playing the post-game.

Dead Pixels - Played a bit over an hour, enough to run through each campaign once (the first on normal, and the others on easy after I wised up) and uninstall it. Got it in a bundle. Pretty terrible. Ugly. Nothing original or fun about the concept. Gameplay was boring. Not quite as bad as Bunch of Heroes, but it's up there.

Thomas Was Alone - Now this was my kind of game. Oozing charm, lovely voiceover, clever but not overly difficult gameplay. Who knew a bunch of differently colored rectangles could have so much personality? Would definitely recommend.

Bioshock Infinite - Columbia is beautiful and rushing around the sky rails is amazing. Some of the story moments were quite intense. I'm still kind of conflicted on how I feel about the ending, but overall it was a hell of an experience.

Also finished: all the episodes of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (just okay, except for episode 5, which was great), Satazius (boring and finished in 45 minutes) and Offspring Fling (cute, but not anything earth-shattering). Finished a few console games too, though I don't really know if it's relevant: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC), Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii), and Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii).

Right now I'm playing GTA: San Andreas and it makes me so happy, I forgot how much I liked this game. I never finished it at release because my ps2 crapped out on me right on the last mission of the game, and I currently own three copies of it, so hopefully I will finish this time! If I can stop farting around doing side missions for more than 5 minutes, that is.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat Serious Sam: First Encounter. The early levels were so much fun I was sucked into the game, originally I meant to play a level or two for old times sake. By the time I hit Karnak the arenas started to get too huge to be appealing in long stretches. Fortunately the game ends quickly after that. There's still great parts even in the huge areas, like the approach towards pyramid. Uranium-core cannonballs and a load of bull made the approach too much fun.

Serious Sam made me lament what we've lost. Games like this are not made any more, are they?

One more game and I've beaten 150 games. Only 300 more to go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

Analogue: A Hate Story - I had gone through this once a while back but decided to leave the achievements for a while, as I thought they'd take ages. Turns out this wasn't the case, I got all the endings and such in like, an hour. I re-read some of the most memorable messages in the game and they were still really emotionally powerful, which is a testament to the writing.

I'm hoping to get something more substantial knocked off my list soon.