Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Rhaka posted:

EDIT: I'm an idiot and this is probably the wrong thread for this! Like, the exact opposite of inspiring. Ah well.

Locke & Key, Volume 6, Issue 3.

Everything in those pages down to the deliberate choosing of words that can be misconstrued "I had to" not "I was forced" or the equally ambiguous "They made me" makes it feel like a cheap grab at my heartstrings and makes me not care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

Everything in those pages down to the deliberate choosing of words that can be misconstrued "I had to" not "I was forced" or the equally ambiguous "They made me" makes it feel like a cheap grab at my heartstrings and makes me not care.

I'm reminded of a horrible novel I read where a woman is raped and her fiance sees it happen in a way that makes him think she's cheating on him, then kills himself. About the same level of writing, there.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Hey, thanks, now I know to never read Locke & Key

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't the point that we're supposed to infer that this exact kind of thing has happened time and time again, leading to major life disappointments over and over and over?

I dunno, it's not so bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rotinaj posted:

Isn't the point that we're supposed to infer that this exact kind of thing has happened time and time again, leading to major life disappointments over and over and over?

I dunno, it's not so bad.

I dunno I know circumstances for this stuff are different for everyone but I've dealt with alcoholics in the family that were pretty fuckin bad but I can't imagine going into a room seeing them half naked and surrounded by wrecked poo poo and just going "WELL I loving HATE YOU THEN", like, I wouldn't believe that magic monsters forced them to drink but I'd be going 'holy poo poo what did you do' at least.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I wouldn't believe that magic monsters forced them to drink but I'd be going 'holy poo poo what did you do' at least.

Keep in mind that the three kids have known the house is magic for 6 volumes now, and at one point the girl literally reached into her own head and removed the personification her own fear, leaving it locked in a jar inside her own nightstand (no idea if she ever put it back in, it's been a while).

So yeah, she's not a skeptic, just an rear end in a top hat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

Keep in mind that the three kids have known the house is magic for 6 volumes now, and at one point the girl literally reached into her own head and removed the personification her own fear, leaving it locked in a jar inside her own nightstand (no idea if she ever put it back in, it's been a while).

So yeah, she's not a skeptic, just an rear end in a top hat.

Good point, completely forgotten that those kids have all had literal firsthand experiences with magic, so yea if mom's got her clothes torn up and magic pages (I assume?) all around her and goes 'nah the demons made me drink' I'd probably go 'oh, yea, the demons, those things we've all encountered as malicious spirits that feed on our worst elements? Ok cool you get one for demons."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Good point, completely forgotten that those kids have all had literal firsthand experiences with magic, so yea if mom's got her clothes torn up and magic pages (I assume?) all around her and goes 'nah the demons made me drink' I'd probably go 'oh, yea, the demons, those things we've all encountered as malicious spirits that feed on our worst elements? Ok cool you get one for demons."

Those aren't magic pages, they're pages from the Alcoholics Anonymous handbook.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Taken on its face, this wants to be a super-tragic moment of someone supposedly coming home to find their faith thrown back in their faces once again, after finally trying to put that faith back together after the person they cared about failed them again and again, and finally feeling their pain go cold and decide it's easier to sever and hate than care and live with the constant disappointment.

Except, as pointed out, for this moment to WORK, the people have to be forcibly twisted into the situation instead of it happening organically, and hence it doesn't work. This is a common pitfall of writers, especially comic writers: they want to have THE MOMENT so badly they don't think about how full of holes setting it up is (see also: Identity Crisis).

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
Screw that bad writing here's more inspiring/badass Superman stuff, and the first story that made me realize Grant Morrison is one of the few perfect writers for Big Blue. Pretty sure this is from JLA #7. I forget exactly since I only have it in the trade American Dreams which I can't find right now but google says it collects #5-9.

At the beginning of the story electric Superman has a conversation with Wally West Flash about how people expect so much of them, he worries what might happen should they fail. Cue an invasion from an army of rogue angels. After giving the moon a magnetic pole in order to stop a demon from crashing it into Earth, Superman joins the fight and this happens.

This is why I love when Grant Morrison writes Superman, he gets that Superman's greatest power is to achieve the impossible when he needs to.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internet Alias posted:

Screw that bad writing here's more inspiring/badass Superman stuff, and the first story that made me realize Grant Morrison is one of the few perfect writers for Big Blue. Pretty sure this is from JLA #7. I forget exactly since I only have it in the trade American Dreams which I can't find right now but google says it collects #5-9.

At the beginning of the story electric Superman has a conversation with Wally West Flash about how people expect so much of them, he worries what might happen should they fail. Cue an invasion from an army of rogue angels. After giving the moon a magnetic pole in order to stop a demon from crashing it into Earth, Superman joins the fight and this happens.

This is why I love when Grant Morrison writes Superman, he gets that Superman's greatest power is to achieve the impossible when he needs to.

I thought his Wally West was interesting, too. He's a condescending jerk to Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner), but worshipful towards Superman. It's nice that he wasn't in full "jerk" or "fanboy" mode in general.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Alias posted:

Okay, I apologize in advance for this post, because I might sound like an ignorant tosser. I don't know, I wasn't there, but I would like someone to explain it to me.

It seems like this entire moment kind of sabotages itself by featuring a concept that is so momumentally stupid as "electric blue Superman". It's so loving dumb. Just look at him! He's apparently Superman, but he's blue and electric and has an awful 90s costume. It ruins the entire impact of that moment! Honestly, in my experience, DC does this a lot, but I was never a fan of alternate versions of superheroes to begin with. Am I totally crazy here?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Okay, I apologize in advance for this post, because I might sound like an ignorant tosser. I don't know, I wasn't there, but I would like someone to explain it to me.

It seems like this entire moment kind of sabotages itself by featuring a concept that is so momumentally stupid as "electric blue Superman". It's so loving dumb. Just look at him! He's Superman, but he's blue and electric and has an awful 90s costume. It ruins the entire impact of that moment! Honestly, in my experience, DC does this a lot, but I was never a fan of alternate versions of superheroes to begin with. Am I totally crazy here?
Well, Grant didn't exactly have a choice at that point--that's how Superman was, full stop. He still managed to utilize his new power set in ways no one else came close to. Electric Blue Superman was a dumb DC thing, but that was a line-wide decree, and not even Grant Morrison is immune to editorial noogies.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 8, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

It seems like this entire moment kind of sabotages itself by featuring a concept that is so momumentally stupid as "electric blue Superman". It's so loving dumb. Just look at him! He's apparently Superman, but he's blue and electric and has an awful 90s costume. It ruins the entire impact of that moment! Honestly, in my experience, DC does this a lot, but I was never a fan of alternate versions of superheroes to begin with. Am I totally crazy here?

That was not an alternate version of Superman. It was a dumb gimmick during the 90s.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

bobkatt013 posted:

That was not an alternate version of Superman. It was a dumb gimmick during the 90s.

IIRC wasn't it yet another attempt to hobble the Siegel-Schuster lawsuit?

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
While electric Superman was a really dumb idea, getting to write a sentence like this is a big part of why I love comics.

quote:

After giving the moon a magnetic pole in order to stop a demon from crashing it into Earth,
Depending on the creative team any idea that seems retarded can deliver some pure, insane comic book fun.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Why does a recovering alcoholic keep wine in the house? Furthermore, why keep living in a haunted house where horrible hosed up stuff keeps happening to your family?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

Well, Grant didn't exactly have a choice at that point--that's how Superman was, full stop. He still managed to utilize his new power set in ways no one else came close to. Electric Blue Superman was a dumb DC thing, but that was a line-wide decree, and not even Grant Morrison is immune to editorial noogies.
Apparently the Superman office complained that electric Superman's powers didn't work that way, to which Grant replied "They never explained to me how they did work." (Paraphrased, of course.)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Avulsion posted:

Why does a recovering alcoholic keep wine in the house? Furthermore, why keep living in a haunted house where horrible hosed up stuff keeps happening to your family?

The short version? It's all being written by Stephen King's son.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Endless Mike posted:

Apparently the Superman office complained that electric Superman's powers didn't work that way, to which Grant replied "They never explained to me how they did work." (Paraphrased, of course.)

Which belies a direct non-understanding of the basic fundamental relationship between electricity and magnetism. If Supes can still go super fast but now has electrical powers, then he most certainly CAN create a magnetic pole around the moon.

At one point in his book "The Physics of Superheroes", James Kakalios explains how when Electro or Magneto move, they become each other.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

Which belies a direct non-understanding of the basic fundamental relationship between electricity and magnetism. If Supes can still go super fast but now has electrical powers, then he most certainly CAN create a magnetic pole around the moon.
The problem with this argument is that superheroes violate pretty much every law of physics there is, so there's no reason to believe this one would be any different.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
ANYWAY

From V for Vendetta

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Avulsion posted:

I got nothin' for that first one but the horrible things go unnoticed by adults. Early on the youngest finds a key that opens your head up and she sees him do it. Her reaction is just "don't do that it's a creepy trick"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Len posted:

I got nothin' for that first one but the horrible things go unnoticed by adults. Early on the youngest finds a key that opens your head up and she sees him do it. Her reaction is just "don't do that it's a creepy trick"

It could be the spouses. If its by Stephen Kings son he might be basing it off his own home life.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Adults can't see the magic stuff for magical reasons.

I haven't read vol 6 yet, haven't even read those pages because I don't want to be spoiled, but the Mom's issues have been largely background and well handled in what I did read, a sad line of "Mom's got these issues we should help her with, but gotta save the world first." When she decided to stop drinking, fairly recently, she dumped out a bunch of stuff, but she's living with her brother in law, and he's got a whole wine cellar and his own problems. Thinking about it now, the kids have each other to get past the huge tragedy at the start of the series, but the mom doesn't really have anyone, and that's how its been from the start.

I've really liked the Locke & Key that I've read, and my wife loves it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Via Injustice 13 - Australia has a metahuman protector, but Wonder Woman and Superman are trying to take over. Said metahuman stands up to them, they literally double-spinebuster him. Batman tells Flash to go to the genetic lab where the metahuman got his powers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Matlock posted:

Via Injustice 13 - Australia has a metahuman protector, but Wonder Woman and Superman are trying to take over. Said metahuman stands up to them, they literally double-spinebuster him. Batman tells Flash to go to the genetic lab where the metahuman got his powers.

That really wrecked me :smithicide:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That really wrecked me :smithicide:

I normally am not into the whole 'oh gawd the guy who just got hosed up was a super big secret fan of yours' thing but one of the few good things Injustice's comics have done is establish Flash as a dude who's just confused in all this. He's not the cool level voice of reason, he's not panicking and joining team 'gently caress the world' blindly, he's just kinda going 'oh gently caress what's happening why is everything around me turning to poo poo?' so this worked better than it normally does.

Also the writing was pretty good for it, no big sappy 'oh he loved you so much how could you forget the little people' just a realistic 'yea you're one of the most famous people on earth, of course you don't remember every random kid that wants a signed picture'.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'll say this for the comic, it really makes me want to punch Superman, so good going there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Someone either here or in the Injustice thread posted that stupid silver age "SUPERMAN, KING OF EARTH" cover that Superdickery loves and said it was more subtle in establishing Superman as a bad guy than Injustice.

I cannot disagree with that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I haven't read Injustice, but why IS Superman apparently being a badguy there?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a setup for their DC heroes fighting game with Supes going stupid/crazy after the Joker sets up the death of his wife and kid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh good, that'll fix the legions of kids/morons who hate Superman because he's "too powerful" and like Batman because he's "realistic." Should have just called it the "kick Superman in the dick simulator 3000" and punched out for the week.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zerilan posted:

It all starts when the Joker doses him with Scarecrow fear gas (laced with kryptonite, probably) that makes him see Lois Lane (pregnant with their hybrid baby) as Doomsday. So he punches her into outer space, where the gas wears off, and promptly comes back to Earth in order to punch Joker's heart out through his chest. Batman goes :aaa: and Superman goes on to hold a press conference (via urging from Wonder Woman) where he reveals his secret identity and states "This poo poo stops now - what poo poo? All of it. All the poo poo. Stop it right now. I have laser eyes."

So the US government, in its infinite wisdom, kidnaps his parents. The Justice League kinda rallies behind Superman because that was the dumbest move in the history of forever. Then Aquaman goes loony for some reason, everyone starts punching each other, and Superman cannot quell his rageboner while Batman quietly mourns the loss of his beloved nemesis.

It's not a very good comic.

edit: aw snap, beaten to the punch multiple times. I'll go grab a panel. Watch this space.

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #15. Rewind and Chromedome's last moments together. They may be robots (in disguise), but it still tugs on the heartstrings a li'l bit :smith:

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 11, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
:shh: Joker actually tricked Supes into killing them himself. Also, this takes place on Earth-5 apparently.

Also, the King Superman cover used in the Injustice thread was actually a shop to match up with the characters/designs of the game.

e:fb

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Zerilan posted:

The Joker decided to mess with him by shooting Jimmy in the head and kidnapping Lois (who was pregnant). When Superman came to save Lois, Joker hit him with some Scarecrow fear gas laced with kryptonite. Superman saw Doomsday in front of him and threw him into space. Then he realized that it wasn't Doomsday, but Lois. To add an exclamation point, Joker blew up Metropolis. Joker was caught and while being interrogated by Batman, Superman busted in and punched Joker through the chest in a fit of anger.

Superman moped about it for the next day in the Fortress of Solitude, still with blood on his hand, and heard about how Bialya (DC's Latveria) is up to its old tricks. He decides, gently caress it, he's going to get involved this time. He apprehends the dictator leader of the country and makes an announcement to the UN that he was Clark Kent and he's not going to be putting up with this war poo poo anymore. Everybody has to play nice. This also meant blowing up drones because their missiles took out innocent lives. The US government didn't like that, so they got Mirror Master to kidnap Kent's parents in order to blackmail him to stop. All this did was make things worse, as even though the government's involvement was secret, it still brought more hero support to Superman's side. Batman figured it out, confronted the president and called him an idiot.

Superman and Wonder Woman have been working together to uphold the worldwide ceasefire, which gets messy once Aquaman attacks some whalers. Aquaman tells Superman to cut this poo poo out or he'll have Atlanteans invade the surface world. Superman shuts him up by putting a dome over Atlantis and having it moved to the Sahara Desert until Aquaman backs down. He's also pissed that Batman has been no help to him at all during all of this, even though the two briefly tried to reconcile, despite their disagreements.

In the above sequence, Superman and Wonder Woman went to Australia where a demonstration was being held in rejection of Superman's actions. Galaxor showed up and told them to go home. He got in their face and got rewarded with a double Rock Bottom.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

mind the walrus posted:

Should have just called it the "kick Superman in the dick simulator 3000" and punched out for the week.
Like Mortal Kombat vs. DC? That worked plenty well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

It's not a very good comic.

I would argue that it is a good comic once you get past the initial set up, but hey, to each his own.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fuego Fish posted:

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #15. Rewind and Chromedome's last moments together. They may be robots (in disguise), but it still tugs on the heartstrings a li'l bit :smith:

This is a great moment but may fall flat for others without context. This is about a group of Transformers lost in space. One of the crew, Chromedome, has done a bad thing, unleashing an unstoppable killing machine that was sleeping inside the ship, causing the death of some of the crew members. In the end, they manage to wrestle the killing machine into an escape pod, but Rewind, Chromedome's only friend stays behind to close the pod.

The following page ends the two part arch with Chromedome, knowing the killing machine in an act of revenge for the bad thing Chromedome did, had promised to break apart Rewind slowly when given the chance. Without the rest of the crew knowing of his own involvement in this whole mess, Chromedome rushes toward the weapon system and fires it all at the escape pod to spare Rewind.

More Than Meets the Eye is a small series and probably some of the best stuff written about the Transformers in probably forever. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TwoPair posted:

I would argue that it is a good comic once you get past the initial set up, but hey, to each his own.

There are a fair bit of good parts, yea. Harley gets a neat little arc where when Joker is gone she kinda becomes a good gal teamed up with Green Arrow kinda-sorta, and they have some fun moments. Flash has some good parts too when he goes 'oh so I can't really make goofs here, poo poo is grim'. There are a couple other decent arcs that escape me too.

It's not terrible, on the whole, but it has a lot of poo poo moments.