Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Exploder posted:

S3E3: Dutch's dick line-up. :lol:

First time watcher here, I just got done with the episode after this one, the one with the streaking bet between strike team and decoy squad. Holy crap, Shane and Tavon getting into a huge brawl and then Tavon attempting to drive home or wherever he was headed. I can't stop watching now. I have to get up for work at 4am, but I might just stay up until like midnight anyway because this show is ridiculous.

Also, Dutch is an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: S3E5 :tviv: OH MY GOD ACEVEDA BEING FORCED AT GUNPOINT TO SUCK A GUYS DICK :tviv:

Jingleheimer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Jingleheimer posted:

Edit: S3E5 :tviv: OH MY GOD ACEVEDA BEING FORCED AT GUNPOINT TO SUCK A GUYS DICK :tviv:

Oh, to watch this show again for the first time :allears:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hahah, that was one of the best what the fucks ever

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just be glad you are not watching it live, since it was in every recap.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
We need more 1st timers in this thread. Yeah, it's fun to watch folks traverse the Wire for the first time, but this show has so many more MOMENTS like that for us to relive vicariously.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

bobkatt013 posted:

Aurora: They made you...SUUUUUCCCKKK????

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

they made you ssuuuuuuck???? :supaburn:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Didn't realize this thread existed, I watched the whole of this a bit over a month ago. Season 5 was definitely my favorite, Forest Whitaker is just... the man.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

I watched this with a friend the first full watch and it had recaps and we thought that was hilarious

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Jingleheimer posted:

First time watcher here, I just got done with the episode after this one, the one with the streaking bet between strike team and decoy squad. Holy crap, Shane and Tavon getting into a huge brawl and then Tavon attempting to drive home or wherever he was headed. I can't stop watching now. I have to get up for work at 4am, but I might just stay up until like midnight anyway because this show is ridiculous.

Also, Dutch is an rear end in a top hat.

I just watched that episode. Jesus Christ, Shane is a loving racist rear end in a top hat. Granted he has his moments (the chicken fight episode comes to mind), but he is my most hated character. Tayvon seemed like a really cool dude, and a great cop. And I say "seemed" because I assume he died in that accident. At least Vic has some redeeming qualities. Shane is irredeemable.

And Dutch IS an rear end in a top hat, but I love him for it. Column A: Success, $$$. Column B: LOSER, -.

Ratatozsk posted:

We need more 1st timers in this thread. Yeah, it's fun to watch folks traverse the Wire for the first time, but this show has so many more MOMENTS like that for us to relive vicariously.

I think we are up to three 1st timers right now? Myself, The Cosby Mysteries, and Jingleheimer. And we all seem to be watching it at the same rate, which is pretty cool. We can see our own real-time reactions to the show as we watch too.

Edit:

Jingleheimer posted:

HOLY poo poo!!! That was an interesting parallel they made between Dutch and Claudette's serial rapist case and Aceveda getting mouth-raped. Here are all of these old women who were sexually assaulted, too hurt and too prideful to say anything about it, and Aceveda is following the same pattern. I see what you did there, The Shield. It's really tragic, and it's so true. It's sad to think about all of the unreported rapes that occur in this world, knowing that the offenders never get caught because the victims are too afraid/hurt/prideful to report it.

Exploder fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 8, 2013

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Almost done with S4... and holy poo poo S4E12 Russian dude gets blown up by C-4 :tviv:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Exploder posted:

HOLY poo poo!!! That was an interesting parallel they made between Dutch and Claudette's serial rapist case and Aceveda getting mouth-raped. Here are all of these old women who were sexually assaulted, too hurt and too prideful to say anything about it, and Aceveda is following the same pattern. I see what you did there, The Shield. It's really tragic, and it's so true. It's sad to think about all of the unreported rapes that occur in this world, knowing that the offenders never get caught because the victims are too afraid/hurt/prideful to report it.

What I appreciate most about that event is that while a lesser show might include it as a "holy poo poo can't believe that happened" moment, in the Shield it's a huge character defining moment that's paralleled, explored, foreshadowed, and ultimately as character shaping as something so atrocious would be in real life.

Even more, its an extension of the larger story by shining a light on something like the unforeseeable demons Mackey (or any traumatizing brutalizing force) leaves in its wake, which is something I didn't catch until my second watch through the series when (spoilers for episode you've already seen) I noticed the exact cause-effect between Vic forcing the bong shaft down Juan's throat and Juan deciding to rape Acevada when given power over a cop. The connection is so obvious in retrospect, but at the time the rape was so shocking and acts of casual violence by Mackey so common it somehow went right past me

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

What I appreciate most about that event is that while a lesser show might include it as a "holy poo poo can't believe that happened" moment, in the Shield it's a huge character defining moment that's paralleled, explored, foreshadowed, and ultimately as character shaping as something so atrocious would be in real life.

Even more, its an extension of the larger story by shining a light on something like the unforeseeable demons Mackey (or any traumatizing brutalizing force) leaves in its wake, which is something I didn't catch until my second watch through the series when (spoilers for episode you've already seen) I noticed the exact cause-effect between Vic forcing the bong shaft down Juan's throat and Juan deciding to rape Acevada when given power over a cop. The connection is so obvious in retrospect, but at the time the rape was so shocking and acts of casual violence by Mackey so common it somehow went right past me

Wow, I didn't even think of that. I was wondering what Juan's motivations for forcing a police captain to suck his dick were, and that makes complete sense. drat, this show is good.

edit:
S3E7 Man, watching Aceveda kick the poo poo out of Chidez in the interrogation room and break down crying at the end of the episode was powerful. Benito Martinez acted the hell out of that scene.

Exploder fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 9, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Blazing through this on Amazon right now. I'm almost to the end of Season 4, I think.

My girlfriend loved 24 and watched almost all of it with me. Never once said anything about the torture or violence. The Shield takes it to another level, if it's on she'll basically say "Do you have to watch this garbage while I'm home?"

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
God drat, S3E11: Dutch strangling the cat is one of the most upsetting things I've ever seen on television. I can't believe the show went so far as to actually show that. They should have just cut to the credits after showing him petting the cat and left the rest up to my imagination but no, this is the show that makes me watch terrible things so I can yell HOLY poo poo at the TV.

This loving show.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Jingleheimer posted:

God drat, S3E11: Dutch strangling the cat is one of the most upsetting things I've ever seen on television. I can't believe the show went so far as to actually show that. They should have just cut to the credits after showing him petting the cat and left the rest up to my imagination but no, this is the show that makes me watch terrible things so I can yell HOLY poo poo at the TV.

This loving show.

I'm living vicariously through first time watchers and can't get enough of it :suspense:

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Twee as gently caress posted:

I'm living vicariously through first time watchers and can't get enough of it :suspense:

Ditto, and the reactions are only going to get better (worse?)

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I had a dream I was a cop in the barn last night :stare: Lem killed somebody and then got accused of it being murder and we were all trying to prove it was a justified killing.

For some reason the killing took place in a castle. Yeah. Claudette asked me if I had trouble following Mackey's lead and I said his head was so shiny it was easy to follow him anywhere :smugbert:

Welp, I'm going to go shoot myself now.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Conquistador posted:

I had a dream I was a cop in the barn last night :stare: Lem killed somebody and then got accused of it being murder and we were all trying to prove it was a justified killing.

For some reason the killing took place in a castle. Yeah. Claudette asked me if I had trouble following Mackey's lead and I said his head was so shiny it was easy to follow him anywhere :smugbert:

Welp, I'm going to go shoot myself now.

That's awesome I want your dreams instead of my horrifying night terrors.

Also, just started on season 5... Poor Lem, I'm know what happens to him (was a dumbass and read a spoiler) but I can't wait to see how it all plays out. Glad to see Forrest Whitaker join the cast; I'm sure he does an excellent job.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pahuyuth posted:

I'm sure he does an excellent job.

Oh, you have no freaking idea.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

DarkCrawler posted:

Oh, you have no freaking idea.

Well, except for

:siren: A rain of spoilers, beware :siren:
that scene

Don't spoil it for yourself, it'll leave a bad taste in your mouth

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Twee as gently caress posted:

Yeah it's great. Everyone has the same reaction to all these scenes.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jingleheimer posted:

This loving show.

Well, it's important we see the act so that we understand that Dutch doesn't feel the same thing as the killer

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Junkenstein posted:

Well, it's important we see the act so that we understand that Dutch doesn't feel the same thing as the killer
I just read that Kurt Sutter's pitch for Dutch's character was for it to be revealed he has a bunch of bodies and a torture chamber in his basement.

It's the most Sutterist thing I could imagine.

Swedgin
Aug 22, 2006

by exmarx

nooneofconsequence posted:

I just read that Kurt Sutter's pitch for Dutch's character was for it to be revealed he has a bunch of bodies and a torture chamber in his basement.

I'm so glad the show didn't take Dutch in that direction. What's interesting about that character to me is the way he tries to understand his suspects, because it's not all that different from the way he tries to understand his co-workers. Dutch is never really going to belong to either community.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
I just finished re-watching season 4 for the first time in a loooong time. Man I love this show so much. I know what awaits me in seasons 5-7, but season 4 of the Shield really feels 'as good as it gets'. It's hard to believe that Glen Close and Anthony Anderson, despite how amazing they are, aren't the best guest stars the show has.

I almost wish both of them were in the show more than just season 4 (and the bleed over into 5 for Anthony Anderson).

Also, re-reading through this thread, a lot of you guys like season 3. I think it's the worst of the bunch -- not that it's bad, but compared to the rest it's kind of forgettable. It just seems so directionless. Aceveda is still captain without a great reasoning for it. The Tavon arc felt really out of place, as did the decoy squad arc. Both were interesting, but they ended abruptly as if the plan for them was never really solid. Margos Dezerian, one of the great villians in the series, is nearly completely forgot about except for the last couple episodes. Season 3 just seems to lack the clear plan that other seasons had except split up the Strike Team and put Claudette on the shitlist of everyone. The most interesting parts of this season were the Claudette / Dutch storylines

King of Spit fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 10, 2013

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If the show had gone on much longer Dutch would probably have ended up following the same trajectory as Bayliss on Homicide:Life on the Street.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Season 4 was the only one to leave me with a tear in my eye by the end, for what it's worth. In a lot of ways I think it's my favourite, even above the already-brilliant season 5.

Do you have a link to this? I've never read much about Sutter's thoughts on The Shield.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

If the show had gone on much longer Dutch would probably have ended up following the same trajectory as Bayliss on Homicide:Life on the Street.

Actually while watching The Shield for the first time the Dutch character kind of annoyed me because he felt like a rip-off of Bayliss who was my favorite character on Homicide.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Kurt Sutter is the loving worst. I mean, seriously? :rolleyes: That would have ruined the show

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Basebf555 posted:

Actually while watching The Shield for the first time the Dutch character kind of annoyed me because he felt like a rip-off of Bayliss who was my favorite character on Homicide.

I kinda feel bad for Kyle Secor on H:LOTS because he just felt so bland compared to all the guys on the cast that so much more presence. I know that he was at least partially meant to be a bit timid and bland but it can't have been easy being there next to Andre Braugher and Yaphet Kotto or even Belzer and Jon Polito.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

I kinda feel bad for Kyle Secor on H:LOTS because he just felt so bland compared to all the guys on the cast that so much more presence. I know that he was at least partially meant to be a bit timid and bland but it can't have been easy being there next to Andre Braugher and Yaphet Kotto or even Belzer and Jon Polito.

For whatever reason(I've never come across anyone who agrees with me), I was never a fan of Andre Braugher on Homicide. A lot of people will say that Pembleton was their favorite even. To me he always felt too over the top, I always thought you'd be more likely to meet actual detectives like Bayliss, Corscetti, or even Munch than Braugher's Pembleton.

Somebody start a Homicide re-watch thread! Not me though, way too much work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Basebf555 posted:

For whatever reason(I've never come across anyone who agrees with me), I was never a fan of Andre Braugher on Homicide. A lot of people will say that Pembleton was their favorite even. To me he always felt too over the top, I always thought you'd be more likely to meet actual detectives like Bayliss, Corscetti, or even Munch than Braugher's Pembleton.

Somebody start a Homicide re-watch thread! Not me though, way too much work.

I am not sure how close it was but at least season one Pembleton was based off a real person.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not sure how close it was but at least season one Pembleton was based off a real person.

Harry Edgerton.

edit: I'm currently reading the Homicide book :)

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

S3E10: Aceveda won me over with his interrogation of Juan. I have to say, I thought they were going to have Aceveda kill the fucker, but this was so much more satisfying. That was Dutch levels of breaking down and belittling someone.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Season 4 was the only one to leave me with a tear in my eye by the end, for what it's worth. In a lot of ways I think it's my favourite, even above the already-brilliant season 5.

Do you have a link to this? I've never read much about Sutter's thoughts on The Shield.
From IMDB:

NOTE: In the Sons Of Anarchy season 1 dvd commentary, creator Kurt Sutter (Who was a writer on the Shield and who also played Margos Dezerian) stated that his original pitch for Dutch in the final episode of The Shield series would have Dutch come home after long day's work, go down into his basement to reveal a bunch of dead bodies or a torture room or something along those lines. Showing Dutch to be a serial killer. While this idea was quickly scrapped by Shawn Ryan, therefore is not canon; it shows that there was something odd about Dutch that even some of the writers on the show wanted to elaborate on.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/faq

I can't bring myself to listen to Sons of Anarchy commentary to confirm this, but here's some interview:

"My pitch for Dutch, and in fact we did something in a gag reel at some point, my pitch for him in season three was that we find out he's a serial killer and has a basement full of bodies."
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2008/11/sons_of_anarchy_kurt_sutter_qa.html

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

From IMDB:

NOTE: In the Sons Of Anarchy season 1 dvd commentary, creator Kurt Sutter (Who was a writer on the Shield and who also played Margos Dezerian) stated that his original pitch for Dutch in the final episode of The Shield series would have Dutch come home after long day's work, go down into his basement to reveal a bunch of dead bodies or a torture room or something along those lines. Showing Dutch to be a serial killer. While this idea was quickly scrapped by Shawn Ryan, therefore is not canon; it shows that there was something odd about Dutch that even some of the writers on the show wanted to elaborate on.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/faq

I can't bring myself to listen to Sons of Anarchy commentary to confirm this, but here's some interview:

"My pitch for Dutch, and in fact we did something in a gag reel at some point, my pitch for him in season three was that we find out he's a serial killer and has a basement full of bodies."
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2008/11/sons_of_anarchy_kurt_sutter_qa.html

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I thought it was like an initial suggestion as they were writing season 1, not something that he went on about when the show was already going on for so long.

Imagine how the finale would have been like if one of the last shots was Dutch entering his own torture dungeon :rolleyes:

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

What. The. gently caress. S3E11: What the hell was up with Dutch strangling that stray cat at the end of the episode? Now, I know he has shown a propensity to want to truly understand and get in the head of his suspects, and sometimes he takes it a little too far. That was way too far. To this point, they have painted Dutch as a bit odd and awkward, but not sociopathic. Maybe I am asking this too early, but that really threw me for a loop. Especially because Dutch, up until this point, has been one of my favorites.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Exploder posted:

What. The. gently caress. S3E11: What the hell was up with Dutch strangling that stray cat at the end of the episode? Now, I know he has shown a propensity to want to truly understand and get in the head of his suspects, and sometimes he takes it a little too far. That was way too far. To this point, they have painted Dutch as a bit odd and awkward, but not sociopathic. Maybe I am asking this too early, but that really threw me for a loop. Especially because Dutch, up until this point, has been one of my favorites.

Guess why that happened.

Kurt loving Sutter, that's why

He wanted to turn Dutch into a serial killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Exploder posted:

It clearly disturbed him, that much is clear almost instantaneously Saying that scene paints him as sociopathic is almost absurdly misreading the scene.

• Locked thread