Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Thank you very much! The wiki still doesn't have a lot of those things filled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I just tried the High Rank "Bully the Bullfango" quest.
I killed 14 of 15 needed Bullfango but then a pink Rathian appeared and suddenly there's not a single Bullfango on the whole map.
I spent the last 40 minutes running from area to area, finally finding a single Bullfango with only 1 minute left on the clock.

Does anyone have an explanation for what happened?
Is this supposed to happen?

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

scissorman posted:

I just tried the High Rank "Bully the Bullfango" quest.
I killed 14 of 15 needed Bullfango but then a pink Rathian appeared and suddenly there's not a single Bullfango on the whole map.
I spent the last 40 minutes running from area to area, finally finding a single Bullfango with only 1 minute left on the clock.

Does anyone have an explanation for what happened?
Is this supposed to happen?
You didn't happen to get Felyne Gamechanger with your meal by any chance?

Edit: Any 'unstable' quest has a slight chance of this kind of thing. Gamechanger vastly increases the odds of that happening.

farfromsleep fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 7, 2013

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

farfromsleep posted:

You didn't happen to get Felyne Gamechanger with your meal by any chance?

Edit: Any 'unstable' quest has a slight chance of this kind of thing. Gamechanger vastly increases the odds of that happening.

So did the Rathian cause the small monsters to disappear?
Are you supposed to defeat him to continue with your quest?

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
It shouldn't really matter. Probably just dumb bad luck that the last Bullfango was so tricky to track down. I'm not 100% on that though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

B. Giggi claw + has given me the most trouble out of any part yet. I've killed the baleful giggi 3 times and only obtained one. Is it supposed to be a break? Because I will smash his stubby little fingers in for the entire fight and get nothing, or is it slice-only? (which wouldn't make any sense whatsoever)

EDIT: Apparently the uncanny hide is supposed to be less common but I get like five of them per kill. This game.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 7, 2013

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
The Rathian is a scripted part of that quest. You just had a lot of trouble finding more bullfangos for some reason.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ciaphas posted:

If I have a weapon that has more raw damage and sharpness, and an element (WA 120 instead of pure raw), if I'm fighting a monster that resists water (Barroth in this case, say without his mud armor), am I still going to be doing more damage than the weapon with the smaller raw? I imagine the answer's yes butI just want to make sure.

Speaking of Barroth, how the gently caress am I supposed to cut off the tall fucker's tail with dual blades? I knew this was gonna happen :mad:

If you break the mud on his legs when he isn't in rage mode he will fall over 100% of the time. You gotta do a little bit extra work to cut tails on most guys as a SnS and DS user, but it's worth it!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Fireblight
Effect: Health loss over time
Remedy: Roll three times, roll once in water
Waterblight
Effect: Lowers stamina recovery
Remedy: Nulberry
Iceblight
Effect: Increases stamina cost of actions
Thunderblight
Effect: Increases chance of being stunned
Dragonblight
Effect: Lowers weapon affinity in MH3 and removes the element/status from the player's weapon
Soiled
Effect: Disables the ability to use any consumable items such as Potions, Steaks, Hot/Cool Drinks, etc.
Remedy: Deodorant
Stun
Effect: Unable to move or take action
Remedy: rotate the left analog stick

Carecat fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 22, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's really useful! Just a suggestion: should mud/snow be added to the "on player" effects?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's really useful! Just a suggestion: should mud/snow be added to the "on player" effects?

In the same vein as this, it might be useful to explain Soiled.

Edit: Also slime on the player is a Blight rather than a status, but it probably makes more sense where it is.

Sarpsa
Nov 17, 2012
Iceblight causes your stamina to drain faster when running etc.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I've never really used Bows before and I don't think I understand them. They aren't great solo and don't do very much damage, so they're obviously meant for more of a support role. But at the same time, you really don't get very many coatings you can hold so it doesn't seem reasonable that you'd ever get more than one or two of any status effect off (without Status Atk armor skills). They just seem shittier than a bowgun and less effective than a normal weapon.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soiled is the worst. gently caress Volvidon. You need one specific item that was made only for that one specific status. At least let me nulberry it off.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Brett824 posted:

I've never really used Bows before and I don't think I understand them. They aren't great solo and don't do very much damage, so they're obviously meant for more of a support role. But at the same time, you really don't get very many coatings you can hold so it doesn't seem reasonable that you'd ever get more than one or two of any status effect off (without Status Atk armor skills). They just seem shittier than a bowgun and less effective than a normal weapon.

I think bows are pretty much just a super high mobility ranged weapon. Honestly, I don';t like them either though.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bobnumerotres posted:

Soiled is the worst. gently caress Volvidon. You need one specific item that was made only for that one specific status. At least let me nulberry it off.

Just wait til you get to steel uragaan.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Speedboat Jones posted:

Just wait til you get to steel uragaan.

I consider Uragaan to be the easiest monster in the game. Unless Steel Uragaan is about 3 times faster that doesn't trouble me a lot.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
A question about fireblight, when you have the altered dodge rolls of Demon Mode Dual Swords, does that actually put out the flames? I mean, dashing around like a ninja should totally put you out, but I'd rather not guess and end up like Well Done Meat because of it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Six Of Spades posted:

A question about fireblight, when you have the altered dodge rolls of Demon Mode Dual Swords, does that actually put out the flames? I mean, dashing around like a ninja should totally put you out, but I'd rather not guess and end up like Well Done Meat because of it.

No. If you can not stop drop and roll, it will not put out the flames. Bring nullberries if you use DS, or lances.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kiggles posted:

No. If you can not stop drop and roll, it will not put out the flames. Bring nullberries if you use DS, or lances.
Can't you just sheathe to do proper rolls?

whtm
Feb 28, 2011
Has anyone had problems with parts of armour sets not appearing in the forge? I was going to make the Baggi set shortly after it became available, but the chest pieces never appeared in the menu. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm in High Rank and it still hasn't appeared. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I think some of the Hunter S set is missing too.

This is my first Monster Hunter game and other than this little hiccup, I've been having a blast with this game on 3DS.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

whtm posted:

Has anyone had problems with parts of armour sets not appearing in the forge? I was going to make the Baggi set shortly after it became available, but the chest pieces never appeared in the menu. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm in High Rank and it still hasn't appeared. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I think some of the Hunter S set is missing too.

This is my first Monster Hunter game and other than this little hiccup, I've been having a blast with this game on 3DS.

You're missing the "key" material for the armor that will make it show up on the list. Usually it's a rare/unusual part for at least one piece of the armor. The Baggi chest requires a King's Crest, which is a drop from breaking his head, so if you haven't been doing that or have had bad luck then you haven't gotten any yet.

Edit: Another pretty egregious example of this is Agnaktor gloves, which don't actually require any drops that you can only get from Agnaktor itself.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 8, 2013

whtm
Feb 28, 2011

Bussamove posted:

You're missing the "key" material for the armor that will make it show up on the list. Usually it's a rare/unusual part for at least one piece of the armor. The Baggi chest requires a King's Crest, which is a drop from breaking his head, so if you haven't been doing that or have had bad luck then you haven't gotten any yet.

Edit: Another pretty egregious example of this is Agnaktor gloves, which don't actually require any drops that you can only get from Agnaktor itself.

This makes sense. I checked the list of drops for breaking his head and it looks like I've gotten the sleep sac instead of the crest every time. Thanks a bunch!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Can't you just sheathe to do proper rolls?

If you are going to sheath, you might as well scarf an item.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh huh this looks like a good quest, go collect 8 bloodstones and bring them back and holy mother of god what is that :stare:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Carecat posted:

*good info beep boop*

Recovery

Near-death monsters, if they're left alone, will eventually make their way to the home zone (which is pre-set for each monster) and go to sleep in order to recover a little health. Monsters will not decide to go to sleep while they are aware of your presence; they would either limp away to another zone or fight on, although on a rare occasion you may just catch it lowering its head if you happened to zone in at the right moment. If you know the monster has entered its home zone, leaving it alone for a few moments (20-30 seconds or so) will ensure that they are sound asleep when you zone in. If you find him still awake, zone out for a few moments then re-enter.

Just to throw my two cents in here, I had a hack on my PSP back in MHFU that showed HP on large monsters. I let a bunch of different monsters sleep at various amounts of low HP, and they never, ever healed a single hit point. Unless it changed in third edition (I'd be surprised), I don't think healing happens aside for Qurupeco calls and shooting them with heal shots.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Soiled is so much fun in MHFU. I can't count how many Deodorants I had to throw down hunting Congas in early game.

Has Switch Axe changed since Tri? I used to main it and switched between sword and axe fluidly, but right now I'm having problems keeping a flow going, and almost never use sword mode. Mind you it's been about fifteen months since I played Tri so it may just be rust.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

whtm posted:

This makes sense. I checked the list of drops for breaking his head and it looks like I've gotten the sleep sac instead of the crest every time. Thanks a bunch!

Make sure you are on a quest and not doing village free hunts to get them! You don't get break rewards when you complete them, you get stuff from a separate "village" table. Do a quest for it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do bows do bullet type damage? Does the melee attack do cut?

i need a brachydios gem, do I want to kill or capture? Both options seems to have terrible drop rates

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Kiggles posted:

You get a few new quests at certain thresholds, with the last being made available at HR 70.

Untrue, there's some available at 80, 90 and 100.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Fauxtool posted:

do bows do bullet type damage? Does the melee attack do cut?

i need a brachydios gem, do I want to kill or capture? Both options seems to have terrible drop rates

I've been doing mostly kills (3 chances at 2% each should be better than 1 chance, right?), and making sure to tail it and gather the shiny spots its slime spots leave behind.

No luck yet. :(

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colbear posted:

I've been doing mostly kills (3 chances at 2% each should be better than 1 chance, right?), and making sure to tail it and gather the shiny spots its slime spots leave behind.

yep. I made 2 sets of armor excluding the chests with all the drops so far. No gems!

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Colbear posted:

Try to get Carver(Lo) or (Hi) as a food buff. Gives a chance for additional carves, even on tails if I recall correctly.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Additionally stuff the Fluffy/Nulberry mask on Cha-Cha/Kayamba. Usually means an extra chance each at getting whatever from a carve.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, did you know you can capture monsters when on a hunt mission? I didn't! :downs:

So anyway I gave Longsword a whirl since I was compelled to make the chainsword, and I still feel like I'm missing something. I like DS/S&S because they're faster and give me better maneuverability, but the problem I have with the Longsword is the same one I have with Lances; I feel like if I'm not lined up exactly I'm going to always miss. At least with the small blades I get the horizontal slashes so I have a little leeway.

I get that I can swing the longsword with the R button, but I don't know if I'm using it right with the normal combos. I think I just need to play with it more, but is there a decent LS guide floating around? I don't know if I'm ready to swap the faster attacks and Auto-Guard charm for the big-rear end chainsaw katana.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There's a chainsword longsword?

poo poo, now I'm completely obligated to dump DS.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
The Chainslaughter? Not a W40K Chainsword but a Chainsaw that is a sword.

Your best bet for a horizontal slash is the X+A dodge slash. The Switchaxe is a little better for horizontal attacks.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

There's a chainsword longsword?

poo poo, now I'm completely obligated to dump DS.

No, you don't understand. There are a pair of chainsaw dual swords.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kiggles posted:

No, you don't understand. There are a pair of chainsaw dual swords.

Monster Hunter will be the loving death of me. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I find the longsword to be kinda awkward, frankly. Then again, switchaxe is my most beloved weapon.

• Locked thread