Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sheep-Goats posted:

So downsides include a somewhat twisted body and looking strange. What about the strumming hand? It does okay like that? In the normal position my forearm is almost parallel to the strings and strumming is easy while it's maybe a little more strained when I have my guitar over my left leg. Worthwhile sacrifice? Non-issue?

Sorry to be such a ninny.

Move your arm around while strumming to see where there's the least strain. It's going to be a little different for everyone due to differences in arm length, hand size, etc. so there's no one answer to that question. The big thing is there shouldn't be any tension in your elbow, arm, wrist, hands, or fingers. They should be completely relaxed when you play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Anybody used a Zoom 7.1ut? Have someone offering it to me in a trade and I'm not sure if it's any good

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Speaking of baritones I've been wanting one a long while but never saw any for cheap enough. But hey I have some crap strats around, so I'm going to buy this neck on ebay after I double check the measurements. What else should I get for hardware? Should I get a new bridge? I'm looking to make something really playable, but the budget for hardware aside from the neck is probably $120. I'm looking for a 60s brit rock sound and I like gfs pickups, what would sound good on a baritone?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You don't really need anything in terms of new hardware because you can lightly file the bridge/nut to accommodate the heavier strings. I'd consider changing the cap on the tone knob to have a lower frequency q point so the tone knob is actually usable. Off the top of my head I can't remember what value cap you'll need maybe look at the value on the cap you already have and raise it by three orders of magnitude as the frequency response in a first order low pass filter is inverse to the value of the cap in it. Guess what I went to school for and never actually use at work?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Pickups. Brit rock. Well. I can't say anything about 'sound good on a baritone' but I'm now curious about what my Brighton Rocks with the big magnets would sound like. Or there's the Liverpool retrotrons if you want to see if a baritone can chime. Strat body, so the increased tension will be survivable.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Offset owners club checking in:

Imperial guitar owners club also checking in (sorry for the crappy Nexus 7 camera):

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Acid Reflux posted:

Imperial guitar owners club also checking in (sorry for the crappy Nexus 7 camera):

You guys just gave me an idea. Now I just need to decide between my butterscotch tele or my white yamaha.

I'm thinking the Yamaha.

:getin:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Acid Reflux posted:

One day. One day, it will be made. The Flying Venator. (Yes, the bridge isn't right, it's only a sketch.)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Well, the Shadows were a British rock band and Jet Harris played various baritones as well as short scale basses. I think a good single coil could sound good. I'd go with a set from Wilde Pickups

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Here I was expecting a Millenium Falcon guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bEEKeoYaI

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm learning guitar as something to do with my spare time, I keep hitting the stings below the ones I'm pressing with the back of my finger, even when I'm holding them straight down onto the strings. I saw in the OP you can lower the strings which I think would help, but it's an acoustic guitar, is there anything I can do to the guitar/how I play to stop it happening?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Do you mean you're accidentally muting strings with your fretting hand or hitting them while strumming/picking?

For the first problem you need to work on positioning your fretting hand, thumb placement is really important and should be level with your index finger and as has been said repeatedly in this thread you do not want painful tension in your wrist, elbow or fingers otherwise something is going wrong. It might also be a problem with saddle height but I'm not sure how that works with an acoustic.

For the second problem you solve it with a controlled version of the first problem. Just mute strings with unused fingers or the edge of your palm and practice playing each string in a chord on it's own to make sure the right parts ring out and the rest fade out with a quietly, dull fart. It takes some practice, I'm still working on correct muting techniques.

Try slowly playing the following while strumming all six strings and use your thumb to mute the E string when marked with an X. Some people can manage the A string too but it's not comfortable for me so I don't recommend it.
code:
e---2-2-2-2---0-0-0-0---0-0-0-0---
B---3-3-3-3---1-1-1-1---2-2-2-2---
G---2-2-2-2---0-0-0-0---2-2-2-2---
D---0-0-0-0---2-2-2-2---2-2-2-2---
A---X-X-X-X---2-2-2-2---0-0-0-0---
E---X-X-X-X---0-0-0-0---X-X-X-X---
Electrics question: What's the difference between dual rail double coil, quad rail double coil and quad rail quad coil humbuckers? Tempted to grab one of these for a bridge position Ebay link:Hotrail twin humbucker. then put dual rails in the neck and middle slots.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Verizian posted:

Electrics question: What's the difference between dual rail double coil, quad rail double coil and quad rail quad coil humbuckers? Tempted to grab one of these for a bridge position Ebay link:Hotrail twin humbucker. then put dual rails in the neck and middle slots.

Higher output, mostly. Some people find rail pickups to be muddier.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Couldn't you just use a 1M pot and experiment with different sized caps to cut through the mud?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verizian posted:

Couldn't you just use a 1M pot and experiment with different sized caps to cut through the mud?

You'd need a high pass filter for that so you'd have to re-wire your whole tone control.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I'm learning guitar as something to do with my spare time, I keep hitting the stings below the ones I'm pressing with the back of my finger, even when I'm holding them straight down onto the strings. I saw in the OP you can lower the strings which I think would help, but it's an acoustic guitar, is there anything I can do to the guitar/how I play to stop it happening?

If you're starting out, I'd really recommend following Justin's course:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

He'll show you a lot of stuff about finger placement and general technique, plus it's broken down into a nice progressive structure so you'll always be building on what you've learned. Even if you just do the basics and dip in for help with stuff you run across, it's really helpful.

As far as your problem goes, if I'm understanding you right you're trying to fret certain strings, but your finger is touching the adjacent strings too? With guitar you generally want to be pressing straight down onto the fretboard, using the tips of your fingers (not the pads), and as close to the fret wire (the little metal strip you're forcing the vibrating string against) as possible. If your action is too high (the height of the strings off the fretboard) then you might have trouble fretting the string without the fatter part of your finger getting in there, but make sure it's not your basic technique first.

If you like you can post a closeup photo of your guitar neck around the 12th fret, side-on so we can see the gap between the string and the fretboard. It can be adjusted but it's awkward on an acoustic, hopefully it's not a problem though

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Francostein posted:

You'd need a high pass filter for that so you'd have to re-wire your whole tone control.

Planning for that anyway so I can add push/pull pots for coil splitting and turning on all three pups. Could just rewire it for a single master tone control and use the other as a Bass cut with push/pull set to toggle between cap values. Cut bass alone or bass+low mids.

Metalguitarist.org has a few different circuits along those lines that are aimed at cleaning up 7/8 strings.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

baka kaba posted:

If you're starting out, I'd really recommend following Justin's course:
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

He'll show you a lot of stuff about finger placement and general technique, plus it's broken down into a nice progressive structure so you'll always be building on what you've learned. Even if you just do the basics and dip in for help with stuff you run across, it's really helpful.

As far as your problem goes, if I'm understanding you right you're trying to fret certain strings, but your finger is touching the adjacent strings too? With guitar you generally want to be pressing straight down onto the fretboard, using the tips of your fingers (not the pads), and as close to the fret wire (the little metal strip you're forcing the vibrating string against) as possible. If your action is too high (the height of the strings off the fretboard) then you might have trouble fretting the string without the fatter part of your finger getting in there, but make sure it's not your basic technique first.

If you like you can post a closeup photo of your guitar neck around the 12th fret, side-on so we can see the gap between the string and the fretboard. It can be adjusted but it's awkward on an acoustic, hopefully it's not a problem though

TY for that link

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sheep-Goats posted:

TY for that link

No probs, Justin is a rad cool dude

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone tried using an ES-57 to mic guitar? Not a share sm57, but GLS electronics' knockoff. If not I guess I'll report in with result later. my hope is that it sounds as good or better than the sm57, because the es57 is only $30 on amazon, compared to $100 for an sm57. In fact you can get an es57 and mic stand and xlr cable for under $50 on amazon, which seems like a very economical solution.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
I'm wondering about a few things:

If I file the nut slots to fit larger gauge strings, will that cause any difficulty if I switch back to a lighter gauge? (Electric if it matters)

How does string tension affect intonation? That is, if I have a set of .11's on there and the 12th fret is way flat across the board when it's tuned up, would a set of .12's sharpen up the 12th fret notes and get it into better intonation? (This is in reference to a cheap acoustic, a pro intonation job would cost more than the axe is worth.)

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

So here's a question.

I've been taking lessons, once a week, for a little over a month and playing daily for at least an hour. My instructor had me working on an A Minor/C Major pentatonic scale playing improvisations over matching chords and then over John Mayall/Eric Clapton's All Your Lovin'. We've moved from that to B Minor and I'm doing the same thing to BB King's The Thrill is Gone.

I think I sound ok, he thinks I sound ok. But whenever I'm playing I feel like I'm running out of things to do. Things sound good and interesting for maybe a minute and then I find that I'm just repeating a couple few riffs/sounds that I've figured out sound good.

How do I change things up and not play a 'boring part', as my instructor calls it? His advice was pretty obvious, 'be mindful of it and try different things out.' And then he demonstrated playing what I was playing and then switching it up into something different but still fitting. But I find that even when I am totally aware and trying specifically to not play the same motif throughout the whole song I just go right back to it because I'm comfortable there and I know it won't sound bad.

TLDR: How do I get out of my comfort zone?

Fake edit: I realize this is kind of vague because you don't know what I'm playing/how I sound....I could throw some stuff on soundcloud if it would help anyone to give me some advice/pointers.
Real edit: Here's this link if it helps anyone to give me some advice. https://soundcloud.com/kyle-carson-4/sounds-from-sunday-afternoon/s-QgkUL

I'm noodling around an A-Minor scale here over top of garage band playing like C, Dm, Am, and Fmaj7. It's not going to win any awards but it shows what I mean where it just kinda loses its direction after a bit.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 7, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Ordered some Pyramid Strings yesterday, gonna put them on my Xaviere (which I've decided to keep in the end) and see how they are. All accounts are pretty good though.

Destro85 posted:

TLDR: How do I get out of my comfort zone?[/url]

I'm noodling around an A-Minor scale here over top of garage band playing like C, Dm, Am, and Fmaj7. It's not going to win any awards but it shows what I mean where it just kinda loses its direction after a bit.
The first thing is to realize that it won't happen quickly. You've pretty much just started lessons (and I applaud you for having the gumption to practice hard) so you've got a ways to go. Even when you've been playing for years you're gonna hit walls and get frustrated. I'd say if you're really having trouble, do something else. Play a different key, learn somebody else's music, draw a picture etc. When you come back to it fresh you'll feel be better equipped to do it than if you keep pounding away at it. Even just take a break entirely for a day or so, then pick it up again when you feel it.

That's just my opinion though, and others may well have equally valid ones.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Destro85 posted:

Noodling might be your problem - you need to be careful not to fall into a fingering pattern where you think 'ok, anything I play here will fit'. Technically it will, but there's a difference between good music and uninteresting music (I can't listen to your link right now, so don't take that as an indictment!). You need to make sure you're listening to what you're playing, picking out bits that work, listening to the underlying progression and see where you get cool moments where your playing just links up really well. Then try and work out what was so cool about it.

In the end it's about how your playing interweaves with everything else, all the cool contrasts and consonances and rhythmic combinations and so on, and the way you can imply changes that are coming up to kind of lead the listener through a musical story, if you want to get flowery about it. This is stuff that takes a long time to understand and even master, but so long as you start listening critically, working out what it is you did and what you're playing over, and try to pull that trick again, you'll be on your way to making cool sounding things.

For more practical advice, do what you're doing and record your playing. Then listen back - probably a lot of it will be uninteresting, but some bits you might be really proud of, cool moments you maybe didn't even notice at the time. Try and play them again, work them out, see how the trick works... and then you've got a riff. Lots of players have a bag of little hooks and tricks they like to use, especially when they're improvising live, and you can chain them together with other stuff or just throw one out there at an appropriate moment.

The other thing you can try is thinking of a musical phrase in your head, and trying to play it. That's the holy grail really, being able to hear something in your head and make it happen on the instrument, but even if that's out of reach right now you can try rhythmic phrases. You can even think of a spoken pattern, the way a sentence or a phrase has a rhythm and stresses and an up-and-down melody. Try 'playing' sentences like that, even if it's just the rhythm, and making them fit in time with the music. It might get you out of the box and give you some new ideas to play with. Also - listen to other musicians!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Also, you could enroll for this really cool looking free online course on improvisation that's starting in a couple of weeks.

https://www.coursera.org/course/improvisation

Which I think everyone in this thread should do cos I've signed up and I wanna talk words about it with all of you.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

nrr posted:

Also, you could enroll for this really cool looking free online course on improvisation that's starting in a couple of weeks.

https://www.coursera.org/course/improvisation

Which I think everyone in this thread should do cos I've signed up and I wanna talk words about it with all of you.

I signed up!

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Anyone try those new cobalt strings yet?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

nrr posted:

Signed up for this, sad that it's starting at the absolute worst possible time for me. But whatever, I'll just have to stop sleeping.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Argali posted:

I considered it, decided to go pure nickel instead

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Argali posted:

I've had them on my Ibanez for a while. I like them. Try them, but be willing to give yourself time to adjust.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

coolbian57 posted:

Anyone tried using an ES-57 to mic guitar? Not a share sm57, but GLS electronics' knockoff. If not I guess I'll report in with result later. my hope is that it sounds as good or better than the sm57, because the es57 is only $30 on amazon, compared to $100 for an sm57. In fact you can get an es57 and mic stand and xlr cable for under $50 on amazon, which seems like a very economical solution.

Haven't but most of the sound would depend on the frequency response; specifically, how it measures up to the SM57.

Here's the frequency response of the SM57. It matches up pretty well with what people like to hear in guitars in a mix (rolled off bass, goosed harmonics for sparkle/bite/crunch/whatever). I don't have one for the ES57, but what I can tell you is that you can probably EQ it to get it close enough to the response of an SM57 to where most listeners wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

TL;DR: You'll be fine, probably, as long as you can work a parametric EQ.

Fake edit: Also worth mentioning that the Shure is goddamn bulletproof so once you buy one it's yours for forever and they have decent resale value if you don't like it, whereas the ES57 is a sunk cost.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Argali posted:

I tried them on bass and they're the absolute worst strings I've ever used, and I've used some bad ones. They're extremely metallic and tinny with no warmth whatsoever. They also feel really weird on my fingers. Kind of like they're never really working well with the instrument. That said, grab a pack if you're curious. A negative experience will only help you avoid similar situations in the future, and who knows you might love them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I can understand feeling that way with them on bass. When you put them on guitar, they've almost got that new bass string metallic quality that I really like.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

Yeah I can understand feeling that way with them on bass. When you put them on guitar, they've almost got that new bass string metallic quality that I really like.

I might give them a try on guitar to check that out. EB is a really awesome company so I never mind giving them my money.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Thanks very much for the words of wisdom, guys. If this is a normal thing I'm experiencing and it is just a function of skill then I'm not so worried. Though, I can definitely see where falling into the habit of playing the same fingering patters is a thing that's easy to fall into and I'm even starting to do that, but not so much that it'll be a hard thing to stop doing.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Argali posted:

I like them quite a bit actually. My only real problem is the they don't seem to last as long as other types of strings but hey it's not like they are really expensive. I say try them out and if you don't like them then hey cut the fuckers off and go back to your old strings.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Does anyone have a link for learning basic ska strumming/theory/anything for guitar?

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Econosaurus posted:

Does anyone have a link for learning basic ska strumming/theory/anything for guitar?

I would check out some basic rhythm guitar lessons on YouTube, then the rest should come either from your ears or looking up tabs for some
"example" songs online, from which you can get the basic feel of the style down. By example song I mean a stereotypical ska song, it doesn't have to be something you want to learn fully but should incorporate the main guitar moves of the style. It will take some listening work on your end to determine what song to check out the tabs for, which will be good because you can listen to the guitar part carefully. Don't make a point of learning it perfectly, instead just try to copy off of it and improvise your own rhythm guitar part with the same chords from the song. But definitely look up at least 1 or more rhythm guitar lessons online first so you are playing with proper technique. Make sure your chords are ringing out clearly and your right arm maintains a consistent Down Up Down Up movement. I went over a basic game plan for how to begin learning, but can go into more specifics if you want. I can explain the music theory or more technique type stuff behind a few ska songs you pick, if you'd like.

Thank you to the poster who recommend looking at a frequency response chart for a microphone to determine it's applicable uses. This is something I've never done, but seems like a good idea for finding the mics for certain situations. I have only used a parametric EQ for just did stuff by ear, but have wanted to learn more technical applications of the eq so I can "separate" 2 guitar parts better, and not have them sound like mush when playing together. Panning and EQing by ear only take it so far, I need to learn how to use the parametric EQ to it's full potential. Are there any good online resources for learning this sort of stuff? I haven't found any, yet.

Anyone have any recommendations on strings that last a long time? Right now I'm using ernie ball super slinkys, not because of choice but because my nut slot is too small for other strings. I wear them down in about a week, and am breaking them consistently. I would like strings that last at least a month, and have been considering thomastik infeld strings, but am afraid I will wear them down too quickly to warrant their price (about 4 times as much as a pack of ernie balls). I never get to hear howmy amp sounds because my strings are always dead. I have played Elixirs and other coated strings, but really didn't like the way they sound, too dull which defeats the purpose of having good strings.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 8, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Elixirs can last over 6 months easily. Nothing really compares to them if your goal is to have a set last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Destro85 posted:

So here's a question.

I've been taking lessons, once a week, for a little over a month and playing daily for at least an hour. My instructor had me working on an A Minor/C Major pentatonic scale playing improvisations over matching chords and then over John Mayall/Eric Clapton's All Your Lovin'. We've moved from that to B Minor and I'm doing the same thing to BB King's The Thrill is Gone.

I think I sound ok, he thinks I sound ok. But whenever I'm playing I feel like I'm running out of things to do. Things sound good and interesting for maybe a minute and then I find that I'm just repeating a couple few riffs/sounds that I've figured out sound good.

How do I change things up and not play a 'boring part', as my instructor calls it? His advice was pretty obvious, 'be mindful of it and try different things out.' And then he demonstrated playing what I was playing and then switching it up into something different but still fitting. But I find that even when I am totally aware and trying specifically to not play the same motif throughout the whole song I just go right back to it because I'm comfortable there and I know it won't sound bad.

TLDR: How do I get out of my comfort zone?

Fake edit: I realize this is kind of vague because you don't know what I'm playing/how I sound....I could throw some stuff on soundcloud if it would help anyone to give me some advice/pointers.
Real edit: Here's this link if it helps anyone to give me some advice. https://soundcloud.com/kyle-carson-4/sounds-from-sunday-afternoon/s-QgkUL

Take your time, you're trying to make everything sound different constantly, music doesn't make sense like that. Think about themes as you play, and how to move from one idea to another, and to express what. If you start feeling stale, change up the rhythm. Listen to tons of music, especially genres that you haven't considered before. If all else fails, steal rhythms, patterns and melodies from other songs and try to change them by improvising over them. Improvisation isn't so much about making up entirely new songs every time you play as it is playing variations on themes that you know half the time, and inventing new themes on your own and making up variations of those in your improvisation. Learning to improvise is a really long journey, and you're not going to get anywhere if you don't contribute to your inspiration pool.

Also, you're massacring those strings. Pluck softer.