Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cthulhuchan posted:

I find the longsword to be kinda awkward, frankly. Then again, switchaxe is my most beloved weapon.

I think Switchaxe is the coolest weapon in the game, very close with the Gunlance.

I mean, it's an axe, that turns into a flipping loving sword. And you reload it like an OG for higher damage. poo poo.

And gunlance is just..poo poo just look at that wyvernfire attack, or the "shoot n' reload" endless attack. I wish I had a gif of that, I would totally pay to make it my avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Just fought Brachydios for the first time co-op tonight with a friend who is new to the game, and it's actually a really fun fight. I used a bow and he used a hammer, and as long as I didn't make it rain on him we didn't have a problem. Brachy itself isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and looks a lot cooler than I thought it would. I made the DS after fighting him twice to complete the last of the low rank upgrades I need for other weapons, then I'm going to tuck them away for doing mindless farming later on if needed. They really are nuts though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Just fought a Zinogre for the first time (village), that was an odd fight to say the least.

It was fun, but super easy. If you get lucky with flinch/break timings, you can basically keep him on the ropes for the entire fight, and his rage mode is not anything out of this world for it to require like a minute-long charge-up. 75% of the fight was the dude just falling over. If he was nigh invincible in rage mode I'd understand, but his abilities weren't above that of a Barioth's or Agnaktor's.

That said, now I understand how rage works the way it does. When I played Tri it never made any sense to me that monsters could go from 0 to 100 in an instant pretty much whenever they wanted, and especially when they were near death.

Fighting the Zinogre has shown me how much in the player's favor it would be if monsters needed to power-up to regain stamina. You get so many free hits and there's a solid chance you can keep them permanently starving.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 8, 2013

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Funny thing about Zinogre. That super charged up mode he has isn't actually what you'd assume to be a monster's rage mode. It's actually somethng entirely separate. Zinogre can actually go into his charged up mode, then go into an actual rage mode once you've dealt enough damage.

When he's enraged for real, he starts getting frighteningly fast and attacks you while he gets up, among other things.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Just fought a Zinogre for the first time (village), that was an odd fight to say the least.

It was fun, but super easy. If you get lucky with flinch/break timings, you can basically keep him on the ropes for the entire fight, and his rage mode is not anything out of this world for it to require like a minute-long charge-up. 75% of the fight was the dude just falling over. If he was nigh invincible in rage mode I'd understand, but his abilities weren't above that of a Barioth's or Agnaktor's.

That said, now I understand how rage works the way it does. When I played Tri it never made any sense to me that monsters could go from 0 to 100 in an instant pretty much whenever they wanted, and especially when they were near death.

Fighting the Zinogre has shown me how much in the player's favor it would be if monsters needed to power-up to regain stamina. You get so many free hits and there's a solid chance you can keep them permanently starving.

Zinogre is a fairly easy fight once you get him down, but he's still my favorite monster for how drat expressive he is. He's got a lot of care put into his animations, especially when he's low on stamina. Sometimes instead of doing the panting/wheezing animation most monsters do, he'll just kind of... stalk around you like an actual wolf would. It's awesome.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
First thing I did after hitting G rank was doing gathering quests in Tundra, getting a crapton of great stuff. Fully upgraded the insecticutters and got the rustshard greatsword, and ancientshard gunlance, hammer, and light bowgun. :woop:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

avlein posted:

Funny thing about Zinogre. That super charged up mode he has isn't actually what you'd assume to be a monster's rage mode. It's actually somethng entirely separate. Zinogre can actually go into his charged up mode, then go into an actual rage mode once you've dealt enough damage.

When he's enraged for real, he starts getting frighteningly fast and attacks you while he gets up, among other things.

I'm aware. What I meant was even when he was super-saiyan + rage mode he wasn't obscenely fast/strong or anything. I'd actually take that over a raging Black Diablos any day.

quote:

Zinogre is a fairly easy fight once you get him down, but he's still my favorite monster for how drat expressive he is. He's got a lot of care put into his animations, especially when he's low on stamina. Sometimes instead of doing the panting/wheezing animation most monsters do, he'll just kind of... stalk around you like an actual wolf would. It's awesome.

The more recent monsters have a lot of love put into them. Brachydios also has very smooth, unique animations. The issue is Capcom's :effort: with the series, older monsters are just straight-up ports with no touching up done on them at all.

Just look at the Plesioth. On land he behaves like a PS1 model, very janky animations. In the water, they had to make new animations for Ultimate, and his water animations are smooth as silk and have personality to them. He also has actual warm-ups for his attacks and his hitboxes aren't ludicrous.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Got trolled so hard by the game while farming up my Ivory Lagi armor set.

"Ok I only need one more Lagi Horn + for the helm and I'll be done!"

*rewards screen comes up, see icon for Horn/Claw*

"Awesome! I got a ho-oh it's a regular horn not a Horn+. GAAAAAAME"

Its alright though next fight gave me the proper high-level horn and as an added bonus a Lagi Sapphire.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Oh, the RNG for this game can be a bastard. I must've went through a good ten Rath, caps, cuts and all before I finally got a plate drop. My pals seemed to be lucking out the whole time of course. It should be maddening, and it can be, but somehow it all adds to the experience.

It pays to do your homework too. Like I didn't when I discovered Bnahabra wing drop rates tend to be considerably higher in Low Rank right after spending ages in HR farming for two separate armour sets worth of 'em.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm aware. What I meant was even when he was super-saiyan + rage mode he wasn't obscenely fast/strong or anything. I'd actually take that over a raging Black Diablos any day.

The more recent monsters have a lot of love put into them. Brachydios also has very smooth, unique animations. The issue is Capcom's :effort: with the series, older monsters are just straight-up ports with no touching up done on them at all.

Just look at the Plesioth. On land he behaves like a PS1 model, very janky animations. In the water, they had to make new animations for Ultimate, and his water animations are smooth as silk and have personality to them. He also has actual warm-ups for his attacks and his hitboxes aren't ludicrous.

Plesioth is such a weird fight for that reason. He's the one monster I've found easier to fight underwater. On land he just turns and hipchecks seemingly at random and hits you from miles away.

I hate fighting diablos cause of the pretty janky tail hitboxes and lack of real attack tells.

Buttermonster
Jul 11, 2003

farfromsleep posted:

Oh, the RNG for this game can be a bastard. I must've went through a good ten Rath, caps, cuts and all before I finally got a plate drop. My pals seemed to be lucking out the whole time of course. It should be maddening, and it can be, but somehow it all adds to the experience.

It pays to do your homework too. Like I didn't when I discovered Bnahabra wing drop rates tend to be considerably higher in Low Rank right after spending ages in HR farming for two separate armour sets worth of 'em.

The RNG has been nice to me up until I needed a cloudy moonshard from lucent nargacuga. 15 kills with every part broken and nothing.

The frustration was made ok by all the entertainment I got from randoms dying to the boss, yelling at the mic, and rage quitting midfight.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I've managed to complete all of the offline quests that are available to me right now, so I'm sitting at 5 star quests complete but with a green check so am I correct that I have to go back and complete all of the villager requests I've been neglecting before it will let me continue? I did some reading and it seems like several of the upgrades I'm going to need require components that only come from the trader captain, which seems a little odd.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Loot posted:

Soiled is so much fun in MHFU. I can't count how many Deodorants I had to throw down hunting Congas in early game.

Has Switch Axe changed since Tri? I used to main it and switched between sword and axe fluidly, but right now I'm having problems keeping a flow going, and almost never use sword mode. Mind you it's been about fifteen months since I played Tri so it may just be rust.

It's had a couple of tweaks, yeah. The stamina draining hack-and-slash is now done by hitting A after an uppercut rather than X, so you can keep the standard three-hit axe combo going by just mashing X. You can also combo out of the hack-and-slash into an overhead chop by hitting X. Apart from that there's no changes that I can see.

Kooriken posted:

Got trolled so hard by the game while farming up my Ivory Lagi armor set.

"Ok I only need one more Lagi Horn + for the helm and I'll be done!"

*rewards screen comes up, see icon for Horn/Claw*

"Awesome! I got a ho-oh it's a regular horn not a Horn+. GAAAAAAME"

Its alright though next fight gave me the proper high-level horn and as an added bonus a Lagi Sapphire.

I just got five plates in three runs while looking for a horn :shepface:. Desire sensor, what hast thou wrought?

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

Cultisto posted:

I've managed to complete all of the offline quests that are available to me right now, so I'm sitting at 5 star quests complete but with a green check so am I correct that I have to go back and complete all of the villager requests I've been neglecting before it will let me continue? I did some reading and it seems like several of the upgrades I'm going to need require components that only come from the trader captain, which seems a little odd.
Not all of them. The Ancient Mask is a required one, as are any base camp ones, I don't think most of the rest are. It's still a good idea to expand your farm though.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

farfromsleep posted:

I can't stress this enough. Especially for HR weapons, I've had several times when I should've been farming low-end versions cuz what's a "lovely" carve with 8% on HR turns out to be a normal carve with 30% on LR.

Speaking of which, can I get Monster Broth off of HR Giggis? The internet is conflicting in this.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
The lance feels way heavier in this game. I can live with not being able to go into a counter-stab after a 3-stab combo (or was it the other way around?) but then they also gimped the backstep's leap distance. I used the backstep so much to get around in Tri it just felt weird moving around whenever I had the lance sheathed instead. It's too slow for me without it now.

Guess I'll just go back to what works on every monster ever: the sharpest, rawest, highest affinity hammer I can find accompanied with evasion+1.

Thundercracker posted:

I can't stress this enough. Especially for HR weapons, I've had several times when I should've been farming low-end versions cuz what's a "lovely" carve with 8% on HR turns out to be a normal carve with 30% on LR.

Speaking of which, can I get Monster Broth off of HR Giggis? The internet is conflicting in this.

Yes, you can get Monster Broth off HR giggis. Go to the tundra and find a giggi egg and just kill a bunch of them for broth.

I figure you can also get Monster Fluid off LR giggis, but I only found out about Broth on HR giggis once I got to that point, much to my chagrin.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So is Rathian NEVER supposed to show up on the Moga Forecast? Because it's Jaggi's, Qurupecos and Ludroths as far as the eye can see! The Cheif's Son told me Rathian's and Lagi's are supposed to show up by now, but is there some sort of quota I have to meet to make them show up more often?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
No you're just unlucky. Build up more luck.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fancy Hat! posted:

So is Rathian NEVER supposed to show up on the Moga Forecast? Because it's Jaggi's, Qurupecos and Ludroths as far as the eye can see! The Cheif's Son told me Rathian's and Lagi's are supposed to show up by now, but is there some sort of quota I have to meet to make them show up more often?

It seems pretty normal from what I hear of most people talking about their Moga forecasts. I go several quests in a row waiting for a good 5 star commodity-dropping monster. I don't care what kind of grind it'll take, I want the drat pumpkin suit.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Fancy Hat! posted:

The last four times I've encountered a Qurupeco while resource hunting it managed to call down a Rathian every single time, so if you're not seeing it on the forecast there's always that option.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fancy Hat! posted:

I often killed Rathians in free hunt by killing what was in the forecast then waiting for a new spawn. The forecast only shows what monsters are spawned at the beginning of the free hunt, more can spawn after you have killed them.

Kill the Jaggis, Qurus and Ludroths, then go to Rathian's nest area and run around with an egg to get her to come to you. If using the 3DS, have the lock-on toolbar on your lower screen (does the Wii-U version have this?) and watch for when it tuns back into the grey question mark monster icon, that will tell you a new monster may have spawned. If Rathian does not show up after a couple minutes of running around with her egg, either no monster has spawned or something besides Rathian has.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Office Thug posted:

The lance feels way heavier in this game. I can live with not being able to go into a counter-stab after a 3-stab combo (or was it the other way around?) but then they also gimped the backstep's leap distance. I used the backstep so much to get around in Tri it just felt weird moving around whenever I had the lance sheathed instead. It's too slow for me without it now.

Guess I'll just go back to what works on every monster ever: the sharpest, rawest, highest affinity hammer I can find accompanied with evasion+1.

Yes, you can get Monster Broth off HR giggis. Go to the tundra and find a giggi egg and just kill a bunch of them for broth.

I figure you can also get Monster Fluid off LR giggis, but I only found out about Broth on HR giggis once I got to that point, much to my chagrin.

I just found the right Wiki. Broth is a 10% drop on Giggis. So for what I need, I'll need to carve 60 giggis... Is there a gem that gives you extra carves on small monsters?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Loot posted:

Soiled is so much fun in MHFU. I can't count how many Deodorants I had to throw down hunting Congas in early game.

Just as I was about to ask you how the hell dealing with Soiled was any fun by any stretch of the imagination, it dawned on me that you were making jokes. Soiled sucks so much that I had a hard time seeing the jokes.

I took the time (with only one boat available, but plenty of fish finders) to learn what loot table I had, and it was one of the worst cursed ones! I started a new game, following the guide for it. It was a lot easier to manipulate the date and time on a 3DS than a Wii U, since the 3DS' wireless toggle was the easiest option for isolating it from the network. While my first save file was some 40 hours, 20 of it was spent loving around ignorantly, playing with weapons until I settled on the ones I liked, and meandering trips into zones to learn where harvest points were at. I don't feel like I lost too much to start over.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is it cheaper in materials and money to forge weapons right out as high as I can then upgrade them to what I want, or forge/buy the basic model (bone scythes, matched slicers, etc) and upgrade all the way from there?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Ciaphas posted:

Is it cheaper in materials and money to forge weapons right out as high as I can then upgrade them to what I want, or forge/buy the basic model (bone scythes, matched slicers, etc) and upgrade all the way from there?

Since money's easy to get, it's easier to buy the base model and then upgrade from there. Also, as you proceed through the game, you unlock higher-tree stuff for purchase.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

In Monster Hunter, the only true resource is time. Everything else just derives from that. In that sense, it's always better to spend time hunting the higher level monsters than scrounging for carpenterbugs or whatever to upgrade the weaker weapons. Also, you get more cash and better materials (that you can sell) anyway.

So in short, always hunt the big game.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just hate Steel Uragaan because he swaps out sleep for farts, and his exploding rocks are also poo poo. Sometimes the soiled effect can just completely ruin your day.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

In Monster Hunter, the only true resource is time. Everything else just derives from that. In that sense, it's always better to spend time hunting the higher level monsters than scrounging for carpenterbugs or whatever to upgrade the weaker weapons. Also, you get more cash and better materials (that you can sell) anyway.

So in short, always hunt the big game.

Good point, thanks.

Another question: do you still get extra rewards for breaks (Barroth's arms, etc) if you capture it, or is that only if you kill it?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Good point, thanks.

Another question: do you still get extra rewards for breaks (Barroth's arms, etc) if you capture it, or is that only if you kill it?

Yes, breaks are on a seperate reward table than just random drops for killing/capturing (you can see it in the rewards screen). But again, since this is Monster Hunter if you're hunting for a specific material it's best just to type "Barroth/Jaggi carve monster hunter 3 ultimate" or whatever monster you're looking for into google.

It should bring up the page that shows you exactly the percentages for each drop. There's alot of drops that can be only/best be gotten by doing very specific things in combat. In general always capture unless you're looking for something specific and rare. Then do a little research. You'll probably be better off capturing in the end, but it saves you the wasted effort of looking for something that can only be carved from tails or some nonsense.

(Like how you can harvest up to 3 Gobul whiskers when he's hiding under water. Each goes for 1200 RP so it's like an insanely easy way to score some RP if you happen to be fighting Gobul)

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 8, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good thing you told me that, I'm gunning for R. Ludroth claws right now which are apparently kill only. Oh well, at least I got a few quality sponges out of capping him :)

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
Woo, just repelled Ceadeus and got into HR. The first fight with p. ludroth was fantastic, too. He was definitely stronger and hit for more damage, but his moves didn't change up too much so I felt pretty badass blocking most of his attacks and beating the crap out of him. It did wear me down though, even after I had broken his tail and crest thingy, it took a fair while longer before he bit it and I was starting to run low on mega potions. Very rewarding fight though, it was tough but not bullshit like certain other monsters.
The fight took me about half of the time limit, though I was doing a little resource collecting first (the mountains are probably my new favorite map, very pretty). Will this likely decrease as I start to get HR gear? For comparison my very first g. jaggi took a while but I cut through them like butter now (using the DLC lance, which sometimes feels a bit cheaty since it was so much better than everything else when I got it).

farfromsleep posted:

Oh, the RNG for this game can be a bastard. I must've went through a good ten Rath, caps, cuts and all before I finally got a plate drop.

It took me 20 to get a plate, almost all of them caps. At least it gave me a good chunk of zenny as well.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

My friend keeps telling me about combat combos but I have never heard of them in-game. Is there a place I can look at to find out these combos?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just caught 3 Spearfin Tuna, however after making the sword I need 15 gourmet vouchers for the final form. IS there an easy way to get them? I've heard arenas but are there also quests that can give them easily?

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Tighran posted:

Woo, just repelled Ceadeus and got into HR. The first fight with p. ludroth was fantastic, too. He was definitely stronger and hit for more damage, but his moves didn't change up too much so I felt pretty badass blocking most of his attacks and beating the crap out of him. It did wear me down though, even after I had broken his tail and crest thingy, it took a fair while longer before he bit it and I was starting to run low on mega potions. Very rewarding fight though, it was tough but not bullshit like certain other monsters.
The fight took me about half of the time limit, though I was doing a little resource collecting first (the mountains are probably my new favorite map, very pretty). Will this likely decrease as I start to get HR gear? For comparison my very first g. jaggi took a while but I cut through them like butter now (using the DLC lance, which sometimes feels a bit cheaty since it was so much better than everything else when I got it).

Eventually you'll go through HR monsters faster, but probably not down as quickly as you were used to with their LR counterparts.

The subspecies are usually different enough from their originals that they feel like entirely new fights. Punk rathian is a good example: all of her attacks seem bigger and hit wider arcs, so she seems like a tougher version of Rathalos now.

Of course, even the 'plain' monsters get new tricks in high rank. Aforementioned Rathalos is still my nemesis: I can clear an entire fight with him without using a single potion, but he will still manage to KO me with some bullshit combo sometime in the fight.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I spent most of the evening last night hunting Diablos so I could finally have a good lance. It reaches purple with sharpness+1, awakens to better slime than Brachy, and has the highest raw of all lances. I even looked to see if I could make an armor set to go with it, and it was totally possible, but only with Artian Greaves X. No problem, I could worry about how to get those later.

I make the lance and then research the Artian stuff. The greaves take 3 of an item that are 5% from the special Pirate's Tomb fishing fleet mission, and without them I can't make a decent armor set for my lance. I should have known the game was going to do something like this when I got 2 hardhorns in one run.

That's Dark Souls Monster Hunter!

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So the earliest critical draw armor set is G Rank Diablos? I'm at work so I can't really check out my game right now and the wikis are still pretty sparse.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
That is basically correct. Crit draw is now a g-rank skill.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kiggles posted:

That is basically correct. Crit draw is now a g-rank skill.

What about Punish Draw?

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"
Punishing Draw is also G-rank only. As are Sharpness +1, Mind's Eye, Honed Blade, Awaken, Peak Performance, Wrath Awaken, among others.

EDIT: Others = Silver Bullet, Bonus Shot, Use Any Clust S, Load Up, Bio Master, Wellness, Rock Steady, Guts, Ocean's Blessing, Charm Chaser, Honey Hunter, Meat Lover, Carving Master (at least until Jolly Roger set DLC).

I think that's all of them.

The Laplace Demon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Diablos X is the only full set with critical draw, and crit draw points only show up on G-Rank pieces and decorations.
Punish Draw is G only too, and the skill is on Uragaan, Duramboros and Nibelsnarf sets.
At G-rank, I usually don't worry too much about proper armor sets and start mixing and matching with the Armor Set Searcher. Put in the skills you want and it'll build a set for you. Turn of armor pieces you don't want, like if you really hate fighting lagi and don't want to get his stuff. For example, my greatsword set has Crit Draw, Punishing Draw, Sharpness+1, and Quick Sheathe and it only took a +4 handicraft talisman, and is a glorious combination of Diablos, Goldbeard, Nibelsnarf and Qurupeco. It only took rare drops that I already had. If you're in G-rank, definitely give the set searcher a look.

• Locked thread