Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

drgitlin posted:

I finally got my car back!

Got into a small accident before Christmas that required some bodywork. In the process of getting that done, the place the insurance company used managed to not reconnect the door to the gas cap...

Que me noticing this on one of the rare mornings I drive to work, resulting in an annoyed phone call telling them to come trailer it back and fix it (since the car was basically out of gas). Well, between trailering it off and returning it, they managed to destroy my front subframe, steering rack, and a bunch of other things. As expected, Saaburu parts turn out to be quite hard to come by, with the result being I had no car for the last three months.

And the turbo is still smoking, which is worrying me since it's only got 77k miles.

That paint seems a little lighter and more metallic-y than I see around, is it the stock Deep Blue Mica or a custom color?

Also, nice car - 2005 or 2006?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sadi posted:

We did the turbo on my dads WRX at about that mileage. I honestly think it was more oil getting into the intake due to him slightly (sometimes a little more than slightly) overfilling the oil. Used WRX turbos are cheap though.

Ooh, is that another possible cause? Because I know I overfilled it recently. Do I need to wait for the excess oil to burn off?

blk - it's the stock Blue Mica (with a lot of scratches now) and it's a 2005.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sadi posted:

We did the turbo on my dads WRX at about that mileage. I honestly think it was more oil getting into the intake due to him slightly (sometimes a little more than slightly) overfilling the oil. Used WRX turbos are cheap though.

Yea make sure the oil isn't overfilled, my friend has an STI that he tracks and autoxes and he had a scare earlier this year about it smoking at startup. Sure enough he had a half quart extra in there and it's been fine since.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Throatwarbler posted:

Swapping 6L80s into them is apparently a thing.

http://www.tbmsport.com/6l80gm6spdinformation.html

The 4 speeds aren't even up to handling the regular 5.3l Trailblazers with the "part time" switchable 4WD transfer cases, I think they upgraded all the 4WD TBs to 4L70s later on the model run, and the transfer cases all poo poo themselves first when you switch them over to "E4WD" anyway.

The TBSS had the LS2 and a Torsen center differential, so the trans had all the torque, all the time. :v:

Holy crap, if I am reading that right they developed a system to put a 6 speed automatic in place of the 4 speed? I would be interested if the electronics alone for the swap didn't start at $1,600! Can't imagine what the transmission goes for on top of that. I think I would just get the 4L70 rebuilt with upgraded parts when the time comes. 6 speed would still be sweet though.

FrankenGooB
Apr 2, 2013
This has been holding down my garage slab for years now.

It is actually in shambles, and I'm not really sure if I'm going to dump more money into it.
It runs. Barely.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

cchhrriiss1982 posted:

"I know this isn't gonna end well, but the middle part is gonna be awesome!"

Ha, I was in Wisconsin over the weekend and as we were pulling out of the liquor store with probably $300 of New Glarus, four teenage girls pulled up in a Trollblazer and asked us to buy them booze. I was so excited about the car, I was talking about it the whole way home. My friends think I'm retarded. they're right

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
New bumpers, so whoring out some more:

04_03_1 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

04_03_2 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

As nice as the CR front was, I'm very happy with the slimmer, more subtle look of the AP1 bumper/lip combo up front and I've always liked the AP1 rear more. Next up, vinyl wrap!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Ouhei posted:

New bumpers, so whoring out some more:

04_03_1 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

04_03_2 by PictoriousPhoto, on Flickr

As nice as the CR front was, I'm very happy with the slimmer, more subtle look of the AP1 bumper/lip combo up front and I've always liked the AP1 rear more. Next up, vinyl wrap!

One of the best looking s2ks I've ever seen

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
Redid my RCT4's and mounted up with 255's - love this setup, even if the color is a little loud. Only run them for a few months a year anyways.

Cleaned up the truck. Think I need to refinish/bedliner the nerf bars in black, but don't want to go overkill on blacking everything out.

Wagon in happier days (popped the motor, down for a bit)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sybir posted:

Redid my RCT4's and mounted up with 255's - love this setup, even if the color is a little loud. Only run them for a few months a year anyways.

This is hot as gently caress.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

FrankenGooB posted:

This has been holding down my garage slab for years now.

It is actually in shambles, and I'm not really sure if I'm going to dump more money into it.
It runs. Barely.

It looks pretty mint from the outside at least. Any interior shots?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Charlotte got a new exhaust last week.

With sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Ou8kvBCk8&feature=youtu.be

Just loud enough to enjoy and still keep sanity.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

Rhyno posted:

This is hot as gently caress.

Thanks, I'm partial to it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I hadn't taken any new pics of the 67 in a while.

Don't listen to the air cleaner, its actually a 283 :ssh:

Also, that master cylinder was new two years ago, cripes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sybir posted:

Thanks, I'm partial to it.

I love wheels with a major contrast to the body, silver or black is boring!

Here's mine as of 6 hours ago

Dipped the wheels a few days ago and had time to mount them after work. Loving the white and now itching to experiment with plasti-dip some more.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Billy Tully posted:

I hadn't taken any new pics of the 67 in a while.

Don't listen to the air cleaner, its actually a 283 :ssh:

Also, that master cylinder was new two years ago, cripes.

Ugh I love this color. I wish the new GM trucks were offered in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Went to Cars & Coffee today and one of the attendees took this great picture of my car

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Went to Cars & Coffee today and one of the attendees took this great picture of my car

Same for me at C&C in Minneapolis:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Rhyno posted:

You're in Ohio, right? Was this Cleveland? I love your MS6 with the plastidipped wheels.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Plasti dipped my wheels and installed some beefy Falkens.

Ouhei posted:

I have to agree about the AP1 rear bumper looking better. My AP2 bumper looks like a diaper.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

DropShadow posted:

Same for me at C&C in Minneapolis:

Please keep it fishbowled. It looks so good as it sits...

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

VanNuys posted:

Please keep it fishbowled. It looks so good as it sits...

Thanks, I like it without tint too, for the moment, but it does get pretty warm inside. If I do tint, it'll be light.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wheels look good, though I'm not feeling the front lip and side skirts.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Larrymer posted:

Wheels look good, though I'm not feeling the front lip and side skirts.

I get mixed reactions but I dig it so it's all good :coolfish:. The lip fits like crap since I cracked it in half on a raccoon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

travisray2004 posted:

You're in Ohio, right? Was this Cleveland? I love your MS6 with the plastidipped wheels.

NE Indiana and thank you, they turned out pretty good for my first use of white.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Decided to take a little detour after visiting my parents yesterday, and I really liked this photo. Hope to throw these on it within my next 2 paychecks.

Banged my shin up real hard on some stone retaining wall as I was climbing to take this picture :argh:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 8, 2013

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

:shobon:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

At first I thought you had a massive scratch down the center of the hood, then I realized it was a telephone wire in the reflection....

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Now that it's nice out I finally got a chance to really clean this thing. Previous owner let the chrome rust and the seats were dirty as hell

http://imgur.com/a/yVPF5

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
The weather cleared up and I found a friend!

I caught the lady who owned the S2000 checking out my MX-5 which I had a laugh at since I did essentially the same thing to her car. When she left it opened up the opportunity to get a fairly cool shot;

Coming around to just about 7 weeks of ownership and I still love it like the day I got it :)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I got myself a new toy

I got a silver one since they don't tend to stand out as much and I thought it looked nice with the dark rims.

It has plenty of room for my other toys

Driving that thing is the most fun I've ever had with my pants on.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I sold my Noble and Mustang and bought something even dumber.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm going to lick your car.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is it really boring but really fast in a straight line like everyone tells me?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Is it really boring but really fast in a straight line like everyone tells me?

It's stupidly fast in all directions. It's not as engaging as the Noble, but it's pretty goddamn fun. The paddle shifters are an absolute joy - this is the first automatic I've ever owned out of 15 cars. I heard the 2012s+ were made more fun to drive with the new suspension setup.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm interested in the logic here.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does it feel detached and heavy or is it quite direct and nimble?? I'd love to have a go of one at some point :)

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I'm interested in the logic here.

I moved to Seattle where it rains quite a bit.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Does it feel detached and heavy or is it quite direct and nimble?? I'd love to have a go of one at some point :)

I highly recommend you test drive a 2012. They should let you drive a used one no problem. Stick it into R-mode, turn the paddle shifters on, and go wild.

It's deceivingly fast. You don't realize how fast you are going - so in that sense it's a bit detached. But when you steer, the thing just goes. It's wizardry.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Flynn posted:

I moved to Seattle where it rains quite a bit.

I like the line of thinking that justifies this excuse. Nice looking machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Das Volk posted:

I like the line of thinking that justifies this excuse. Nice looking machine.

I was buying one before moving here...but the narrative works better now that I'm here!