Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rabble posted:

https://www.scion.com/cars/scion_series/

Looks like they are coming out with a limited edition fr-s with the JDM HIDs, keyless entry & start, and dual zone climate control. Wonder how much it will be compared to the Subaru.

This is also good news for regular owners as these items will now have part numbers in the system that will fit in the stock locations without having to order from Japan. Might get me a set of them HIDs eventually.

B - b - but what about the heated seats? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Where's my turbo. ;__; And no, not the $25,000 one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

OldPueblo posted:

The only thing I wish I had was push to start, and something tells me I can't just swap that in since the dash pillar console (whatever it's called) is different. :(

Says it does.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Rabble posted:

https://www.scion.com/cars/scion_series/

Looks like they are coming out with a limited edition fr-s with the JDM HIDs, keyless entry & start, and dual zone climate control. Wonder how much it will be compared to the Subaru.

This is also good news for regular owners as these items will now have part numbers in the system that will fit in the stock locations without having to order from Japan. Might get me a set of them HIDs eventually.

That was covered just a few posts above you, but it's all good. Oh hey, the new BRZ STI was shown at Tokyo Auto Salon. No forced induction, but you get different wheels, some aero bits, lowering springs, and a carbon fiber hood & roof!

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
I want those wheels in gold. (On Blue Pearl of course)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I know that SIt technically doesn't mean turbo, but for the money you're going to put down on carbon fiber bits wouldn't it make more sense to just slap a turbo on it?

Also, the most understated spoiler, it's like they aren't even trying.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That is like a zero effort STi version: "Hey let's put on a carbon hood and take some parts out of the bin!"

Also if anyone else is thinking of getting some RCE springs they should talk to me.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

j3rkstore posted:

Got some tints and installed Racecomp Engineering sways and springs over the weekend :toot:

Nice! How do you like them so far? You should post updates in a few weeks with after thoughts too.

I'm thinking I'll go with the RCE springs in the next couple of months (as well at 17x9 golf rpfs and 235s). What made you decide to get the sway bars too? I've run bars on a few different cars and I'm not sure I want them for this car yet, but then, I also haven't taken it autocrossing yet...

jamal posted:

Also if anyone else is thinking of getting some RCE springs they should talk to me.

Aye aye!

Has anyone looked at (or heard in person) the OEM+ system addition? I like the aesthetics of how they put the kit together and am kind of looking at that too to give the sound just a tad more oomph.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is that a one-car townhome garage with a two post lift?

Are you looking for neighbors?

I saw this thing in Kelowna.

http://townhomesfortoys.com/about/

For some reason they don't have any hi-res pics but it's basically a townhouse with like an 18" tall garage, the show suite I saw had some kind of municipal bus comfortably parked inside, each unit has an elevator that goes from the living area to the garage and it takes a full minute.

It's actually pretty perfect for me. I'm single and really don't need the maintenance hassle of a big house/living area, but I also want to import an ex-Soviet 8x8 ballistic missile launch vehicle(:eng101: 15 year rule) as a daily driver and I'm not going to park it outside in the rain.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Eh, they are building a track here that will have condos (with garages/indoor paddock) available. I'll wait for that.

http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

OldPueblo posted:

The only thing I wish I had was push to start, and something tells me I can't just swap that in since the dash pillar console (whatever it's called) is different. :(

Push to start is retarded unless you have a smart-key setup.

Lets put the key in, turn it, and THEN push a button because race car.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Devyl posted:

That was covered just a few posts above you, but it's all good. Oh hey, the new BRZ STI was shown at Tokyo Auto Salon. No forced induction, but you get different wheels, some aero bits, lowering springs, and a carbon fiber hood & roof!

Not seeing the "new" here, this car has been around since before the 86/BRZ went on sale....

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rabble posted:

I know that SIt technically doesn't mean turbo, but for the money you're going to put down on carbon fiber bits wouldn't it make more sense to just slap a turbo on it?

No because then you will step on the toes of the WRX. I'm fairly doubtful whether the BRZ STI will even be sold in the US.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

D C posted:

Am I missing what a "smart key" as deceived on their website is then? Seems like prox key with push button start.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

D C posted:

Uh that's exactly what it is, key never leaves your pocket. I didn't realize they had some hybrid version like that on the market, yea that's dumb.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Bovril Delight posted:

Am I missing what a "smart key" as deceived on their website is then? Seems like prox key with push button start.

Keyless entry is sometimes confused with it. That's push a button on the key to unlock door, but you still have to turn the key to start. A proper push button system means the doors auto unlock when you touch the handle, and then you push button to start car. Its all wireless from your pocket and drat convenient.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OldPueblo posted:

Uh that's exactly what it is, key never leaves your pocket. I didn't realize they had some hybrid version like that on the market, yea that's dumb.

Maybe it simplifies the key cylinder in such a way that there's less wear. The S2000 has the same thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe it simplifies the key cylinder in such a way that there's less wear. The S2000 has the same thing.

I guess that would confuse your average Honda car thief trying to disassemble the ignition cylinder.

Then he just steals the seats anyway.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kimbo305 posted:

No, I think that was mostly because the tech for wireless keys wasn't affordable yet but they wanted a race-car inspired feature. As I recall, this sort of system got retrofitted on a bunch of Nissans and stuff during a mid-year refresh. Though the first prize for dumb hacky setups probably goes to keyless entry systems that have a starter button plus a key-shaped rotary selector switch where the key cylinder normally goes so you have to turn a switch and then hit a button.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The Noble M400 apparently has a key you put in and turn, a button on another fob that you hit to arm the fuel pump, and then a start button.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

I saw this thing in Kelowna.

http://townhomesfortoys.com/about/

For some reason they don't have any hi-res pics but it's basically a townhouse with like an 18" tall garage, the show suite I saw had some kind of municipal bus comfortably parked inside, each unit has an elevator that goes from the living area to the garage and it takes a full minute.

It's actually pretty perfect for me. I'm single and really don't need the maintenance hassle of a big house/living area, but I also want to import an ex-Soviet 8x8 ballistic missile launch vehicle(:eng101: 15 year rule) as a daily driver and I'm not going to park it outside in the rain.

Nice, looks like there's even a small bathroom in the garage. I cant figure out how to zoom in on my tablet, oh well.

When I get rich (TM) I want a huge underground garage with a drain for indoor car washes and stuff. Well, that and many other things, but this is way off topic. =)

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

OldPueblo posted:

There are some really dumb systems where you stick the keyfob into a hole in the dashboard and then push the start button. But you have to actually stick the key into the dashboard or else it won't start. But it's not actually a real metal key either, it's just a plastic nub. Like in this picture of an E92

See the slot below the start button? If you didn't pay for extra keyless option, you've got to stick the key there. And if you buy it with the extra option the slot is still there but you just don't have to use it. :downs:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The key fob has a rechargeable battery that you have to charge every once in a while.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

CharlesM posted:

The key fob has a rechargeable battery that you have to charge every once in a while.

This is wrong. If you have comfort access, the batteries are replaceable and do not recharge while it is inserted. It does however sync service history when you plug it in. Only the regular key recharges.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Stealth Like posted:

This is wrong. ... Only the regular key recharges.
So uhh... What is wrong?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Lowclock posted:

So uhh... What is wrong?

The comfort access key (the one that doesn't need a slot at all) doesn't recharge the battery. lazer_chicken was pointing out that it's silly that the slot is still there on cars with comfort access since it's of little use. CharlesM is implying that you have to plug the comfort access key in once and awhile to recharge it, which isn't true.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
What all that has to do with the 86 I'm not sure :v:

Mat_Drinks posted:

Nice! How do you like them so far? You should post updates in a few weeks with after thoughts too.

I'm thinking I'll go with the RCE springs in the next couple of months (as well at 17x9 golf rpfs and 235s). What made you decide to get the sway bars too?

RCE sponsors my friend and I think Myles is a pretty cool dude so I wanted to support them. I also didn't want a huge drop. I like a tighter car, and while it comes decently tight from the factory, the addition of the swaybars (currently on the lower setting both front and rear) definitely assisted in removing some of the body roll.

My major initial impression is that the rear of the car rotates better through the corner and no longer feels like its playing catch up. The spring rate change isn't that extreme and I'm not finding too much extra harshness when daily-driving the car.

I'm hoping to get this car on the track sometime this year however already having a dedicated track car it is difficult deciding which event to bring the BRZ to.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

lazer_chicken posted:

See the slot below the start button? If you didn't pay for extra keyless option, you've got to stick the key there. And if you buy it with the extra option the slot is still there but you just don't have to use it. :downs:

Then you've got the Audi version where you stick the keyfob in the dash, it locks in place, and then you push the fob in and the engine starts. And if you turn the engine off and forget to yank the fob out you have to crank the engine again to get it out.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the BMW system does make sense, because you still need the slot there, so that when you're out in the sticks and the battery in the comfort access dies, you can still jam the key in the slot, have the car read the key by conduction(?) and start the car, right? I think that's how it works in most cars with the wireless access key except on some it's just an invisible spot on the dash somewhere that you have to press your keycard up against, which is worse.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Then you've got the Audi version where you stick the keyfob in the dash, it locks in place, and then you push the fob in and the engine starts. And if you turn the engine off and forget to yank the fob out you have to crank the engine again to get it out.

What in the gently caress :stare:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

j3rkstore posted:

What all that has to do with the 86 I'm not sure :v:

No kidding, you guys aren't even talking about anything that in any way relates to the FRS/BRZ other than that the limited has a key fob option.

j3rkstore posted:

RCE sponsors my friend and I think Myles is a pretty cool dude so I wanted to support them. I also didn't want a huge drop. I like a tighter car, and while it comes decently tight from the factory, the addition of the swaybars (currently on the lower setting both front and rear) definitely assisted in removing some of the body roll.

My major initial impression is that the rear of the car rotates better through the corner and no longer feels like its playing catch up. The spring rate change isn't that extreme and I'm not finding too much extra harshness when daily-driving the car.

I'm hoping to get this car on the track sometime this year however already having a dedicated track car it is difficult deciding which event to bring the BRZ to.

Interesting. I've noticed a little something that I'd maybe call body roll, or fidgetiness at speed in corners, but I'm also not sure if it's the stock tires (possibly the narrowness or the sidewall). I'm going to get wheels and tires first and see how I feel after that. I like RCE for the most part, but I've ordered from them in the past and their communication wasn't the best. Hopefully that's improved because I want to like them.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Have people noted any other problems with the car(s) other than the CEL issue that may or may not have been related to cylinders misfiring or something? For that matter, is that issue still cropping up or did it get fixed? Every car ends up having some 'known problems,' so I'm curious if any of those have shown up yet. The car's still on its first model year, though, so I kind of doubt it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

Have people noted any other problems with the car(s) other than the CEL issue that may or may not have been related to cylinders misfiring or something? For that matter, is that issue still cropping up or did it get fixed? Every car ends up having some 'known problems,' so I'm curious if any of those have shown up yet. The car's still on its first model year, though, so I kind of doubt it.
The fuel pump makes noises, but that's been sorted and they'll replace it with an updated on. Other than that, nothing major. The CEL issue is still cropping up, though an ECU flash seems to help some people.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

Sometimes I lose connection when I plug my iPhone in and listen to music. :argh:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

The fuel pump makes noises, but that's been sorted and they'll replace it with an updated on. Other than that, nothing major. The CEL issue is still cropping up, though an ECU flash seems to help some people.

I think there was taillight condensation in early models too, but I believe that's been cleared up.

Or if it isn't, mine doesn't have it as it's spring in Seattle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

I think there was taillight condensation in early models too, but I believe that's been cleared up.

Or if it isn't, mine doesn't have it as it's spring in Seattle.

There's that, but that's relatively minor.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Brace for long chain of question marks...

Endless Mike posted:

The fuel pump makes noises, but that's been sorted and they'll replace it with an updated on.
To what degree is it sorted these days? Fixed in newly manufactured 2013's? Can current ones get a fixed replacement?

If anyone should be in the SF bay area, any recommendations on Scion dealerships to visit or to not bother with, or is it all just a crapshoot?
Any idea if the FR-S is currently backordered in the area, or has supply generally started to catch up at this point?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Mat_Drinks posted:

No kidding, you guys aren't even talking about anything that in any way relates to the FRS/BRZ other than that the limited has a key fob option.

Interesting. I've noticed a little something that I'd maybe call body roll, or fidgetiness at speed in corners, but I'm also not sure if it's the stock tires (possibly the narrowness or the sidewall). I'm going to get wheels and tires first and see how I feel after that. I like RCE for the most part, but I've ordered from them in the past and their communication wasn't the best. Hopefully that's improved because I want to like them.

Yeah a big part of that is the tires. However, once you put better rubber on the car you'll notice the suspension is too soft.

RCE's goal is to be more of a manufacturer that sells their stuff to dealers than a direct sales shop, plus Myles does a lot of video production for k-pax racing and some tv shows so he's not always around. Another thing they've done in the last few years is reduce the number of resellers so that anyone you buy from that isn't RCE will actually know what they're talking about (although they sell springs to a big wholesale distributor so there are a bunch of people selling those). Anyhow, I personally am an RCE dealer, and know Myles pretty well so you don't really need to deal with rce directly if you don't want to. Plus I have a tendency to give out goon discounts.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Well the BMW system does make sense,

You can also attach the rest of your keys to the fob in such a way that you can insert it, start the car and then unclip the backup door key from the fob along with the rest of your keys so you can lock the car and walk away with it running. It's nice on cold mornings with no remote start.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Brace for long chain of question marks...

To what degree is it sorted these days? Fixed in newly manufactured 2013's? Can current ones get a fixed replacement?

If anyone should be in the SF bay area, any recommendations on Scion dealerships to visit or to not bother with, or is it all just a crapshoot?
Any idea if the FR-S is currently backordered in the area, or has supply generally started to catch up at this point?
Newly manufactured 2013s get the updated fuel pump and older ones can get it replaced under warranty if it makes the noises.

I can't help you with supply near you, but there's plenty to be had over here on the east coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I would drive this.

• Locked thread