Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I'm seeking recommendations for games that have unique interesting atmosphere/ambiance. I know that's a really freaking broad request, but I've got this weird craving for games that:

Have a steam/diesel/cyberpunk setting, and feature hong kong or blade runner-esque cities at night, like these:

EYE: Divine Cybermancy!

Gameplay video

Also, Shadowrun Returns is supposed to be coming out in June, it also sounds right up your alley. Alpha gameplay footage.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I'm seeking recommendations for games that have unique interesting atmosphere/ambiance. I know that's a really freaking broad request, but I've got this weird craving for games that:
Can really say they're lush, but Odin Sphere's environments are certainly vibrant.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

How about Bastion? Most of that game takes place in a vibrantly colorful steampunk Moroccan city and the surrounding wilds, twisted into Escher paintings.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

The first thing that came to mind was Omikron: The Nomad Soul. It's an adventure game that also tries to be a mediocre first person shooter and button-mashing fighter, but it has David Bowie and the environments are just loving amazing, especially for the time it came out. There's about 3 major cities that you can run around in and get hit by cars and I loved just roaming around each one's particular nook and cranny. One time I stumbled into a David Bowie concert (have I mentioned this game has David Bowie) while randomly strolling around the red light district.

It's on sale at GOG but the screenshots posted don't really do it justice.

This and this are probably most representative, based on a 5-second GIS

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

TehGherkin posted:

Also, a third request (never used this thread before so I guess I'm catching up).

I'm playing through Risen 2 at the moment and it's put me in a very piratey mood. I re-installed the modern Sid Meier's Pirates, and I might re-install Tropico as well, but I'm really looking for a more hands-on pirate game.

It seems these are very few and far between, do any of you know of any?

I don't even know where you'd find it right now, but Pirates of the Caribbean by Bethesda was kind of fun to dick around with. It was supposed to be Sea Dogs II, then Disney happened and slapped vague movie tie-ins onto it, and then the movies became insanely popular and it vanished into the ether.

Apparently there are a billion versions and they're all different :v:. I played the PC version and it was "okay" - kind of buggy and combat was dumb, but gently caress yeah I had a ship and undead skeleton dudes were trying to take my booty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_%28video_game%29

Alternatively, maybe you can find the original Sea Dogs!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Since I'm after some kind of weird aesthetic-based experience, I suppose I'm not necessarily looking for good games..

I need games that can be played or emulated on a PC, or games for PS3, PSP, or iPhone.

I'm also looking for games set in modern Japan or Hong Kong, like Shenmue. Or that have a stylish modern setting, like EarthBound.

It's not an RPG, but have you tried Zeno Clash? It's a first person brawler, the gameplay is kind of meh, but the gameworld is crazy as all hell.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22200/

It goes on sale for pretty cheap kind of often, and the sequel is coming out soonish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

If you want a good adventure game with those aesthetics, have a look at The Longest Journey - It's on GOG.com and pretty cheap. As to something set in modern Japan, have a look at The World Ends With You on the iPhone, or Persona 3 Portable on the PSP.

edit: VVVVVVV

I've heard good (ie: deeply depressing) things about Spec Ops: The line.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 9, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
How about this one? I want a game where the protagonist faces impossible odds against an overwhelming foe, and loses. The harder and more complete the loss at the end, the better. Max Payne 2 is an alright example, Limbo technically [e: not really, I guess] edges in, and Prince of Persia (the newer one, with you reviving the girl so the evil is re-released, dooming the world) all fit, but I need a real crushing loss for some reason. I'm struggling to come up with a quintessential example... like, if you couldn't win the final mission of Homeworld 2 and the planetkiller missiles wipe out your race would be a good example.

The more :smith: the better. Any genre.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, any victory in God of War 3 is pyrrhic at best...

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Evilreaver posted:

How about this one? I want a game where the protagonist faces impossible odds against an overwhelming foe, and loses. The harder and more complete the loss at the end, the better. Max Payne 2 is an alright example, Limbo technically [e: not really, I guess] edges in, and Prince of Persia (the newer one, with you reviving the girl so the evil is re-released, dooming the world) all fit, but I need a real crushing loss for some reason. I'm struggling to come up with a quintessential example... like, if you couldn't win the final mission of Homeworld 2 and the planetkiller missiles wipe out your race would be a good example.

Well this one's easy. Drakengard.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Evilreaver posted:

You're looking for Spec Ops: The Line.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, drat, seconding both those. Spec Ops: The Line and original Drakengard, no question.

Drakengard especially. Each new ending is harder and harder to unlock, and they all get worse and worse!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AfricanBootyShine posted:

You're looking for Spec Ops: The Line.

Ah, perfect. Played it, loved it. In that case, Drakengard's on the menu!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Once you're done with Drakengard skip 2 and play Nier.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Evilreaver posted:

n-thing Special Ops: The Line

Other than that, Pathologic. An old Russian adventure game where you are one of three characters in a city that's been wrecked by a plague. Each of the three characters are trying to stop the plague, each one with a different approach (science, natural shamanistic medicine or outright magic).

While there is a "happy" ending if you manage to finish the game, there are a lot of :smith: moments there. For example, the game helpfully points out how many people have died because of the plague in each of the 12 days the game is split into. As a more spoilery example after spending 4 days trying to make a "safe" quarantine zone with one character, another character will enter the quarantined area and infect everyone. Next day, everyone in the shelter is dead

And the game manages to make you feel it's all YOUR FAULT.

Have a review. Slight spoilers in there.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

A bit of a stretch (and not much of a "game" per se), but Telltale's The Walking Dead could count pretty well for this. As well as Spec Ops: The Line as previously mentioned, though don't play either of these back to back (I wouldn't even recommend playing TWD's episodes back to back).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Even people who have the option of playing TWD episodes back-to-back often can't. It's a little TOO thrilling/depressing.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Once you're done with Drakengard skip 2 and play Nier.

Yeah, Nier is pretty much the ultimate "and then everyone dies... THE END" kind of game. I can't really think of a single character for who things turn out well throughout the main quest, and basically by winning the game you doom humanity to extinction. And then you can replay an abridged version of the game where the game expands upon your enemy's back story which makes everything even more horrific and sad. And then you can replay the game again and... well I don't want to spoil everything, although the choices you can make at the end of this playthrough are fairly famous.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I botched my run of Nier many moons ago when I misinterpreted the fishing main quest and got stuck, and sent it back to gamefly in a huff. I did run through the LP completely though :unsmith: so I'm not completely missing out.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Evilreaver posted:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Which should be played by everyone, anyway. In darkness and using headphones.

Kinda hard to recommend matching games without spoilers though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you to someone a couple pages ago - I just got freelancer working on my work computer (and morrowind coming soon). Thanks!!

Evilreaver posted:

OOC, what do you feel draws you to these games? Is your life so upbeat that you require periodic downers to maintain sanity? Or do you seek to recreate the emotions felt at a specific depressing point in your life? Jokes aside I'm legitimately curious if you feel like sharing.

I'm assuming you've played it but without wanting to spoil too much, Mass Effect 3 on a higher difficulty setting would fufill this role.

Edit: That is to say mass effect 3 COULD fufill this role. Also, play bioshock infinite on hard.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 9, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I need some good group games to play that are on Android, and can be played by a group of people stuck in a van for several hours. Spaceteam doesn't exist for Android.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Other than that, Pathologic. An old Russian adventure game where you are one of three characters in a city that's been wrecked by a plague. Each of the three characters are trying to stop the plague, each one with a different approach (science, natural shamanistic medicine or outright magic).
They also made The Void, where you're dead, trapped in a dying world, and everyone you meet wants to use or kill you. And of course it's all your fault and you make things worse just by existing.

Someone needs to fly to Moscow and give Ice-Pick Lodge a hug.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any game where you build a persistent online empire and take armies to attack other peoples empires? No Facebook games. Dawn of Fantasy was a huge dissapointment.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Phone postin'

VelociBacon posted:

OOC, what do you feel draws you to these games? Is your life so upbeat that you require periodic downers to maintain sanity? Or do you seek to recreate the emotions felt at a specific depressing point in your life? Jokes aside I'm legitimately curious if you feel like sharing.

Without getting too e/n, I'm clinically depressed and I guess it makes me feel at home; I've never really thought about it, but playing through a Bad End always feels satisfying. Any highly emotional end works as well, but most ends are just :buddy: "We did it, yay us" which is bah. Sad ends stand out.

quote:

Mass Effect 3
Wrong kind of Bad End :cheeky:

Couldn't get into The Void unfortunately. I'll find an LP.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Evilreaver posted:

Without getting too e/n, I'm clinically depressed and I guess it makes me feel at home; I've never really thought about it, but playing through a Bad End always feels satisfying. Any highly emotional end works as well, but most ends are just :buddy: "We did it, yay us" which is bah. Sad ends stand out.

I get what you mean. I prefer sad/depressing music because I find it's more weighty and therefore satisfying than pretty much anything upbeat.

As far as games go, what about... Shadow of the Colossus? Without spoilers, that game has a pretty sad ending.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is the obvious one.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
For bleak games check out Red Dead Redemption and Silent Hill 2 as well.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
How has no one mentioned Shadow of the Colossus yet?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

How has no one mentioned Shadow of the Colossus yet?

Someone did!

I think we've covered most of the "digging your own grave" games so far...oh! I know. Most of the Fatal Frame series has the sad ending be the default one if you don't beat it on hard mode. The alternate ending is not guaranteed to be bright, either, just... less-sad. Maybe. Depending on the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Speedball posted:

I think we've covered most of the "digging your own grave" games so far...oh! I know. Most of the Fatal Frame series has the sad ending be the default one if you don't beat it on hard mode. The alternate ending is not guaranteed to be bright, either, just... less-sad. Maybe. Depending on the game.

Even The Tormented's 'good' ending was bit of a downer, if I remember right.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The bad endings in Fatal Frame also tend be the canon ones as well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The bad end in Metro 2033 is the canon one also.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

After reading this thread for a bit and seeing some great recommendations I'm hoping that you guys can help me out.
I've been looking for a good sci-fi RTS lately with a decent amount of customization in the likes of Warzone 2100 ,the earth series and Impossible Creatures. I've played the Warhammer games(40K and Fantasy) and enjoyed them a lot but I'm stull hungry for more. I'd prefer a RTS in which you build your own base instead of the RTS games wich have you starting off with a fixed amount of units.

My main system is currently a aging 4 year old laptop wich can run most modern-ish games on low or medium decently.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl has 'good' ending that's easy to lock yourself out of without even noticing, and only get a choice of bad endings.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AzMiLion posted:

After reading this thread for a bit and seeing some great recommendations I'm hoping that you guys can help me out.
I've been looking for a good sci-fi RTS lately with a decent amount of customization in the likes of Warzone 2100 ,the earth series and Impossible Creatures. I've played the Warhammer games(40K and Fantasy) and enjoyed them a lot but I'm stull hungry for more. I'd prefer a RTS in which you build your own base instead of the RTS games wich have you starting off with a fixed amount of units.

Would StarDrive count? It's technically a 4x but it's realtime and has a very detailed unit designer.

There's also Metal Fatigue where most of your units are mechs that can salvage parts from destroyed enemies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AzMiLion posted:

My main system is currently a aging 4 year old laptop wich can run most modern-ish games on low or medium decently.

Supreme Commander and SupCom: Forged Alliance would probably do the trick - the franchise is the spiritual successor to Total Annihilation (which is another fantastic sci-fi RTS if you haven't played it. It's on GoG, incidentally). Just don't get Supreme Commander 2 - it's nowhere near as good as the others.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Thanks for the advice guys, I´ve already played metal Fatigue and it is indeed amazing. especially the whole stealing parts from enemies and researching them so you can make your own(Missile legs+Missile arms+Missile Torso is amazing) is a great mechanic. I'm kind of burnt out on SupCom:FA and SupCom 2, I've played both of those to death.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
How about Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising?

It's not quite as deep as the others you listed (it's a hybrid RTS-action game) but there's some weapon customisation involved as well as the fact you're limited to a max of ten units at a time. It's also pretty decent in the story department.

Also, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident isn't quite what you're looking for but might be worth a shot. You don't build units, you get them based on the plot and what survives, but they are extremely customizable.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What are some good 3D platformers for the PC, PS3, or 3DS? I already played the Super Mario Galaxy games and Super Mario 3D Land and I know no other games will match those but is there anything else that's good or decent on the platforms I just mentioned? I have a wired 360 controller for my PC so I'm set there.