Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I just finished reading through the first three Ghost Omnibus volumes, and I gotta say, while it was entertaining, there was a lot of wasted potential throughout the whole thing.

The beginning threw me for a loop, thinking that they would push the whole gender-role-smashing, female-empowering, and misogyny-outing aspects and have it turn out to be a pretty progressive comic series. Unfortunately it never got past being superficial and at times felt like it was hating on men just for the sake of being edgy. Also the, "I wear this outfit to distract men while I beat them up!" thing tends to undermine the more progressive ideas by turning the woman into a sexual object.

On a similar note, I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of nudity throughout the series, and the writer, Eric Luke, seemed to want to keep it mostly out. Then I opened volume 3, where suddenly Luke pulls a 180 and throws nudity into nearly every issue. Don't get me wrong, I love naked ladies as much as the next goon :pervert: but it felt gratuitous in the wake of what was trying to be done earlier in the comic.

That said, I can't get over how much I love the art nouveau/art deco style of the comic and the city of Arcadia itself (much more interesting than the Arcadia shown in the X series). The aesthetic was pulled off very well and lent to the comic some class that otherwise may have been missing. The art overall was pretty great, especially when H.M. Baker and John Cassaday were pencilling.

It's an entertaining comic, and considering it came in a giant bundle with a bunch of other Dark Horse titles, I think it was worth picking up. I suppose I'm just sad at the wasted potential in what could have been a very progressive (if cheesy) piece of work, but sometimes that's asking too much of a funnybook, eh? Also looking forward to volume 4 hitting the digital store so I can finish(?) the series completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You have intrigued me. I love Art Deco and Art Nouveau, and I've always admired Ghost's costume and design, especially in some Adam Hughes pin-ups I've seen. She's obviously meant to be sexy, but the retro look is just so classy.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Most of the covers are fantastic. The ones Adam Hughes and Tony Harris did are a real treat. Case in point, two of the Omnibus volumes feature their covers:

I'd like to pretend the covers with the model (Yvonne Epstein) don't exist. Super-90s here:

The model and costume are actually pretty good, but goddamn, that photo manipulation should never have been done.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Len posted:

Is the 5th Godzilla Half Century War still supposed to come out tomorrow? All I can find is some old rear end post telling me February 20th is the ship date.

If anyone still cares, it's said that it'll be released by the end of the month. Apparently no guarantees, but it's good to know it hasn't flown over all of our heads.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

This weeks Saga has everything that Sex wishes it had. It's fun, ridiculous and shocking with some actual character growth too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If anyone still cares, it's said that it'll be released by the end of the month. Apparently no guarantees, but it's good to know it hasn't flown over all of our heads.

I do still care! I want to give Stokoe more of my money just by his art alone.

I finally got to read this weeks saga and I'm pretty glad that lying cat didn't die.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Len posted:

I finally got to read this weeks saga and I'm pretty glad that lying cat didn't die.

Absolutely I think everyone's with you on that one! *whew!*

I read the first 3-issue miniseries of Strangers in Paradise on Comixology and it was good enough to get me to grab that paperback omnibus coming out in June - even with the $40 shipping to Canada!
I've read that the first volume isn't even close to how good the series becomes so I'm really looking forward to this set arriving.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
SiP is one of my first comics. My brother gave it to me either late in HS or my first year in college.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
All I know about SiP is that (possibly major/inaccurate spoiler?) there's a character who manages to turn a lesbian straight through his sheer force of awesomeness and that's honestly enough to make me not want to go anywhere near it.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Len posted:

I was shocked by how much I cared. I mean the character only ever says one word at a time and speaks rarely and I was still really upset. 11 was a really emotional issue. Especially, the end, I was really moved with how they showed Marko realizing his father was dead, and then going to his mother. Vaugh and Staples have created the most believable and realistic relationships I have ever seen in comics in just 11 issues.

Edit: Manhattan Projects #10 is a pretty big turn for the series. I think Browne's art is a good fill in for Pitarra. It's interesting to go in to Oppenheimer in more detail but I feel like one of the huge strenghts of the series is its growing cast of really weird and interesting characters and how they all are kind of barely working together. Now the series is narrowed done to one(but kind of more than one) character, albeit perhaps the most interesting character. That last line is killer though, the Oppenheimer civil war began.

tokyosexwale fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 27, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

East of West #1 is out this week. It's Hickman, Dragotta, 38 pages and only 2.99. Completely worth it.

It's a sci-fi western following the four horsemen of the apocalypse on the way to kill the president of future America. Hickman brings his usual thing but I think Dragotta really knocks it out of the park with the character design and "action" set pieces.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Gonna take a minute to rep Fatale by Brubaker/Phillips because it's actually really good!

I know a lot of people have tapped out at various points over the first 10 issues / 2 arcs but even if you have, the latest three (11, 12, 13) are totally worth checking out. They're all contained stories that buck the entire structure of the series thus far and hit in the way all the best Brubaker/Phillips hit: hard. It's not as mean as Sleeper is and it's not interested in the stylistic juxtaposition of an anachronistic art style with Phillips' own the way the two best Criminal arcs are, but it's a drat fine comic regardless.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Anyone know when the next issue of Locke and Key will be out? Wiki says issue 4 was due out yesterday. Another site says April 3rd. Yet another page I found just says May.

Johnny Got His Gunt
Aug 19, 2008

I can't stop thinking about Dr. House's huge, throbbing...diagnostic skills.
I really like: Tiger Lawyer.

I was a bit wary at first at how it's possibly an outlet for furries, but after reading the first (and at the time, they've since released #2) and only copy my fears were quelled.

Think of Harvey Birdman, but more indie, less polished humour and biting hostile witnesses.

For the 3 people reading the Hellraiser comics: What the gently caress is going on? Elliot marries Kirsty? They were trapped by Leviathan together.

Edit: http://tigerlawyer.tumblr.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Chew

Chew is a tough one to review, because any single element sounds dumb, all the elements taken together sound horrible, but when you actually read the comic it is crazy, hilarious and brilliant. I'm generally not a guy who likes dumb humor, I'm not a fan of Robot Chicken or Family Guy, but when I read Chew, I read lines like "I'm from NASA and I'm here to lick your paintings" and its great and it makes perfect sense in the universe of the comic.

In the world of Chew, a massive avian flu epidemic has made Chicken illegal and the FDA is the most powerful agency in the US. Certain people are also being born with food related powers, such as the main character...

The story rockets around and involves conspiracies, aliens, roosters of mass destruction, vampires, and a USDA staffed by cybernetic version of Charlie's Angels and their cybernetic pets.
The art is really what brings the comic home. Guillory gives everything an energy that carries the story along and adds enough odd background notes to make everything worth reading twice.
The book is consistent enough that the first trade should tell you if you'll like it or not, but I recommend the OSHC Omnivore edition because I like fancy books.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Anyone familiar with the Bombyce Network?

From what I've gathered It is about a couple of thieves who get wound up in something bigger, set in a retro-future belle epoque (early 20th C france).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I started a reread of Locke & Key recently and just found out there was a card game made for it. Is it decent or just a garbage tie in?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

East of West #1 is out this week. It's Hickman, Dragotta, 38 pages and only 2.99. Completely worth it.

It's a sci-fi western following the four horsemen of the apocalypse on the way to kill the president of future America. Hickman brings his usual thing but I think Dragotta really knocks it out of the park with the character design and "action" set pieces.

I just finished this and I liked it quite a bit. There's a lot going on in it and it's an odd setting, so a lot of it didn't make sense to me until my second read, but it was pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
So Glory ended with #34 today, and I thought it was a satisfying/sad/sweet ending, if that makes any sense. I was pretty impressed how they took seemingly throwaway scenes from the first issue and told the stories behind them in flashbacks in this issue. And I guess I understand why they're choosing to end it, but I can't help but be really disappointed that we'll probably never get the amazing adventures of pink mohawk Glory and her wacky family in a Spaceballs-esque flying Winnebago.

Also, there's a weird post-credits scene addressing one of the dangling plot threads that introduces a connection to Prophet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, that was a great final issue. It's not often you see fiction try to portray death as an ultimately positive thing and it made me feel a lot better about it ending. Kind of reminded me of The Little Match Girl in a weird way.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Man I had a bunch of comics end today. Glory and Godzilla knocked it out of the park. Planetoid was not as good but still a pretty solid finish to the series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

We'll see each other again, won't we :(

It was a perfect end to the series.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Man I had a bunch of comics end today. Glory and Godzilla knocked it out of the park. Planetoid was not as good but still a pretty solid finish to the series.

Planetoid ended this week on issue 5? I'm only asking because I thought it had ended with issue 4 awhile back, but then I saw 5 on the shelf last week...

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Planetoid ended this week on issue 5? I'm only asking because I thought it had ended with issue 4 awhile back, but then I saw 5 on the shelf last week...
I get my books every other week so I'm a little behind. It sure feels like #5 is the "end" of the story.

The constant delays really did not do Planetoid any favors in the storytelling department.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, that was a great final issue. It's not often you see fiction try to portray death as an ultimately positive thing and it made me feel a lot better about it ending. Kind of reminded me of The Little Match Girl in a weird way.

Yeah, one of my favorite details is that even the bad guys that Glory killed earlier in the series are there in the afterlife, just chilling and eating tons of food. :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Someone tell me that Stokoe is going to be making more Godzilla in the future.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Len posted:

Someone tell me that Stokoe is going to be making more Godzilla in the future.
He can't because I'm going to lock him in my comic dungeon until he produces enough for at least another orc stain trade.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Double post but I was curious so I asked:

He doesn't explicitly rule out that there might be a Prophet/Glory's family in a space winnebago crossover!

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I know there's a rumor that Glory is going to show up in Prophet, mainly from a time when a fake Brandon Graham followed by a real Brandon Graham showed up on 4chan, so it's a little bit suspect. But given all the other Extreme characters showing up, it's certainly plausible.

I would kill for her to still be tooling around with her family in the winnebago ten thousand years later. :allears:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still need to catch up with Glory and Godzilla, but there's this other Image book I grabbed the last couple of issues of: The Legend of Luther Strode. A quality punch up comic, the best thing I can say about it is that it feels like there's a heavy metal track blaring in the background as I read this thing. Real fun, though I don't know what the hell is happening really.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Shageletic posted:

Still need to catch up with Glory and Godzilla, but there's this other Image book I grabbed the last couple of issues of: The Legend of Luther Strode. A quality punch up comic, the best thing I can say about it is that it feels like there's a heavy metal track blaring in the background as I read this thing. Real fun, though I don't know what the hell is happening really.

Did you read the first series The Strange Talent of Luther Strode? If not, you should grab that because it will probably clear up some of the questions you have.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Will do, but it feels like this is a comic where things like character backgrounds and origins are insignificant. More important: did I just see a guy flex two bloody knives out of his chest and fling into someone else's pupils? Yuuuup.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Shageletic posted:

Will do, but it feels like this is a comic where things like character backgrounds and origins are insignificant. More important: did I just see a guy flex two bloody knives out of his chest and fling into someone else's pupils? Yuuuup.

The only things that the first series expands on are the background of Strode / Petra and a small glimpse of where his powers come from and the secret world behind it. And yes, not only does Jordan plot the poo poo out of insane action sequences, but Trad Moore executes the gorefest to perfection. I'm hoping they continue to drop Luther Strode mini-series in the future.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Someone please tell me this isn't an April fools joke. I have a complete set of these cards.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

quote:

Annoying press release thing: APPLE vs. SAGA #12

As has hopefully been clear from the first page of our first issue, SAGA is a series for the proverbial “mature reader.” Unfortunately, because of two postage stamp-sized images of gay sex, Apple is banning tomorrow’s SAGA #12 from being sold through any iOS apps. This is a drag, especially because our book has featured what I would consider much more graphic imagery in the past, but there you go. Fiona and I could always edit the images in question, but everything we put into the book is there to advance our story, not (just) to shock or titillate, so we’re not changing poo poo.

Apologies to everyone who reads our series on iPads or iPhones, but here are your alternatives for Wednesday:

1) Head over to you friendly neighborhood comics shop and pick up a physical copy of our issue that you can have and hold forever.

2) While you’re at it, don’t forget to support the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which helps protect retailers who are brave enough to carry work that some in their communities might consider offensive. You can find signed copies of Saga at the CBLDF site right now.

3) Download the issue directly through sites like https://comics.imagecomics.com or on your non-Apple smartphone or tablet.

4) If all else fails, you might be able to find SAGA #12 in Apple’s iBookstore, which apparently sometimes allows more adult material to be sold than through its apps. Crazy, right?

Anyway, special thanks to Eric Stephenson and everyone at Image for supporting our decision, and for always being so supportive of creators. Sorry again to readers for the inconvenience, but I hope everyone will be able to find an issue that Fiona and I are particularly proud of. And after you do, please check out PanelSyndicate.com, the new digital comics site I own with artist Marcos Martin, which remains 100% uncensored by corporate overlords.

Your pal,
Brian

So, this is a thing that's happening. It won't bother me since I pick up Saga in print but this is still some amazing bullshit.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

This is the shittiest move by Apple and hilarious given the fact that they had no problem putting up any other issue of Saga which had sex in it, but y'know since it's gay sex.

For those that buy this from Comixology you can still buy the issue from their website and then sync the app without issue or buy direct from Images site if you want to.

Mar 27, 2003

Wow. The entire first page spread of issue 11 was the main characters having sex followed by the quote on the next couple pages "Please shoot it in my twat." How could they think its an ok idea to do this and not expect serious fall out from it?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There was all kinds of stuff in issue 3 or so, when the Will went to pleasure world. Either they don't review everything or one reviewer is just bad.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Apparently it passed the line of explicitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Don't really see how it's much worse than seeing full on male+female penetration when they were on Sextillion or the earlier mentioned "shoot it in my twat".