Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
If the green sharpness only lasts 3 hits, say, it's probably not worth it to keep sharpening. If you get about a minute or so of sharpness at that level, that's probably when you'd want to keep sharpnening it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
The best way to fight Diablos is and will always be to bring a lance and cheese the gently caress out of him. It deserves nothing more than that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is it worth bothering to keep up green sharpness on this longsword that has a tiny sliver of it (I get maybe 10 swings at most) and a great whack of yellow?

Depends on what you're fighting. If it's something like Qurupeco, where being yellow makes the fight significantly more irritating, then I'd say probably yes. Otherwise it's a helpful boost but not essential.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Office Thug posted:

The best way to fight Diablos is and will always be to bring a lance and cheese the gently caress out of him. It deserves nothing more than that.

I hate fighting diablos with the fury of a thousand suns - this guy has the right idea.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Norns posted:

I'm really happy MH4 won't have water fights. Does anyone actually like them at all?

I do and this is my first MH. It's because I absolute love the ocean and mythological seabeasts and all that. It's pretty difficult sometimes but I don't know, totally worth it to get to swim around and see aquatic monsters. I also think the controls are fluid and work well, hah.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I do and this is my first MH. It's because I absolute love the ocean and mythological seabeasts and all that. It's pretty difficult sometimes but I don't know, totally worth it to get to swim around and see aquatic monsters. I also think the controls are fluid and work well, hah.

I'm ok with the controls underwater, my problem is that without the ground as a reference point my ability to perceive depth and distance goes right out the loving window. Like I have no problem fighting Gobul when he's on the seabed, but when he's swimming higher I will whiff so many loving times. :argh:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The only water fight I really mind is Lagiacrus because he won't sit still what the gently caress.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

The only water fight I really mind is Lagiacrus because he won't sit still what the gently caress.

The only part about Lagiacrus I don't like is the double tackle. When he's in rage mode and he aims at you twice, just totally impossible to avoid.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ceadeus sucks for weapons with slow attacks because even when idling he'll move out of range between your starting an attack and hitting him.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I went into High Rank with no idea what armor to make, so the game decided for me by throwing three Brachy gems my way within my first two kills.

I responded by making Plesioth armor. Coupled with a Loc Lac Tasset+ and some gems I am the ultimate capturing machine.

Jondan
Oct 18, 2005

I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once
Wasn't sure if I'd be into Monster Hunter or not, so I picked up Tri for Wii, ahead of maybe lashing out on a 3DS or a Wii U.
Having a good time with it so far, and it's definitely the best steak barbecuing simulator experience available anywhere. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Man none of the 4* village quests are any challenge so far, when 3* kicked my rear end so bad. Am I just getting better fast or is the difficulty out of whack?

Also when can I start gathering... Isisium I think?

(Edit) I love that stupid BBQ jingle :v:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Ciaphas posted:

Man none of the 4* village quests are any challenge so far, when 3* kicked my rear end so bad. Am I just getting better fast or is the difficulty out of whack?

(Edit) I love that stupid BBQ jingle :v:

Issium is in the Tundra. Wait until you get to High Rank offline, you'll have fun with the difficulty again.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Don't worry, things will get harder very quickly.

Isisium is mined in the Tundra.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KGBAgent185 posted:

Issium is in the Tundra. Wait until you get to High Rank offline, you'll have fun with the difficulty again.

Will I in theory have fully upgraded my farm and boats by then? That's all that's keeping me from port, solo or otherwise.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ciaphas posted:

Will I in theory have fully upgraded my farm and boats by then? That's all that's keeping me from port, solo or otherwise.

Boats depend on you getting the items for rare trades. I think you should have a maxed farm by high rank if you do enough of the LR quests

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Chronojam posted:

I find that you can kind of cheese Lagi by going to the surface and fighting him there. He will follow you up and then it turns back into mostly a 2D fight. Makes it easier for hitting his head.

I would hope that if MH4 has no water battles that they also remove Plesioth, because gently caress running out of sonic bombs and waiting for him to jump onto land only to hipcheck you and jump back into the water. I like being able to chase him down in the water. That said, all other water-capable monsters I prefer to fight on land.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
At what point in the single player should I look to see if I have a cursed table? I'm not even sure where that thing is, but I'd like to know if I'm boned before I get to the end game.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The game can easily be hundreds of hours long so if you are only a couple of hours in then it's no loss.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ciaphas posted:

I'm ok with the controls underwater, my problem is that without the ground as a reference point my ability to perceive depth and distance goes right out the loving window. Like I have no problem fighting Gobul when he's on the seabed, but when he's swimming higher I will whiff so many loving times. :argh:

Yeah I get that for sure. All you can really do is mess with the camera and learn how big the monsters are in striking distance. Works I guess.

So I've been using the Long Sword for my first 11 hours and I want to vary it up with something kind of similar just to see if something else is better for me. Any suggestions? I'm not very interested in ranged but I could see the gunlance being fun. I know I could just try out different weapons but the game is so deep that I don't really know how to get a "feel" for each type.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I get that for sure. All you can really do is mess with the camera and learn how big the monsters are in striking distance. Works I guess.

So I've been using the Long Sword for my first 11 hours and I want to vary it up with something kind of similar just to see if something else is better for me. Any suggestions? I'm not very interested in ranged but I could see the gunlance being fun. I know I could just try out different weapons but the game is so deep that I don't really know how to get a "feel" for each type.

You're already using a great cutting weapon. Why not try the Hunting Horn for breaks? It's a fun play style even solo imo.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is it worth bothering to keep up green sharpness on this longsword that has a tiny sliver of it (I get maybe 10 swings at most) and a great whack of yellow?

yes. Yellow sharpness is "that bad". If you look on paper it doesn't seem so bad, only being less than 5% damage behind green, but you have an odd chance of only dealing 25% damage, which adds up more than you think, given how substantial the penalty is when it triggers. Additionally, any hit that does bounce below green sharpness WILL deal only 25% damage. A bounced hit at green or better (historically) delivered full damage, but doubled durability lose for that hit, and put you in the dangerous recoil animation.

Gem for Sharpener until you can upgrade the weapon and habitually sharpen your weapon. One stroke to get your blade back up to full is easy enough, and since you can literally count how many hits you have until your blade is dull, you should have no trouble planning your hits.

That said, if you happen to knock over a monster the instant you loss green, just wail on the rear end in a top hat for the duration and sharpen up after. Sucks, but if you're using longsword you will need to get used to missing out on tons of damage because the moon and stars didn't align so that you knock the monster over as soon as you refill your spirit meter immediately after hitting red focus so that you can unload with full spirit buffs on a helpless critter, and further extend your red focus buff, keeping your damage potential firmly within the "finally as good as everything else" threshold.

There is something to be said for movesets, and even there I find longsword lacking, if mostly for the damage coefficients on the actual attacks, but spirit focus colors can get utterly hosed out of my Monster Hunter. No other weapon goes from objectively loving awful to "OK" after such an unnecessarily long process. Dualswords comes the closest, needing to demonize, AND build a meter, but that takes what? 30 seconds? Hunting Horn might be up there too, since buffs take a while, but you can loving play your music where-ever the poo poo you want. You don't have to land a very specific hit at the end of a very long, resource consuming combo.

I just want to be the animes... why does this weapon have to have such an awful mecahnical "feature"?

:negative:

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 9, 2013

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Any time someone has a question about how to get a feel for weapons I always feel compelled to point out Social Dissonance's YouTube channel. He's got a great set of videos from Portable 3rd detailing all the weapons and their various moves, which are more or less unchanged for 3U, so give them a watch and see if any tickle your fancy. Other than that, try out the weapons yourself! The game provides you with a starter for each category, try them out on a Great Jaggi or two and see how they feel. You'll definitely get a handful that really jive with your playstyle.

Also what the guy above me said. Hunting Horn is the master weapon.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Machai posted:

I find that you can kind of cheese Lagi by going to the surface and fighting him there. He will follow you up and then it turns back into mostly a 2D fight. Makes it easier for hitting his head.

I would hope that if MH4 has no water battles that they also remove Plesioth, because gently caress running out of sonic bombs and waiting for him to jump onto land only to hipcheck you and jump back into the water. I like being able to chase him down in the water. That said, all other water-capable monsters I prefer to fight on land.

In my unlucky experience he will sit on the seafloor with his tail under the ground spitting lightning, or do a series of electric bodyslams before loving off to another area again.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

If you have problems with Lagiacrus, just make a beefy hunting horn or just the peco one and go nuts. So long as you keep the basic 2 white note buff up, you will literally swim circles around him even while he's raged. It'll take an eternity to kill him though.

Or, you can get a nice big hammer and charge-shockwave him into oblivion like real manly men of the sea do. Everything except Diablos is weak against the hammer. For diablos, just bring a lance, because gently caress him.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

:siren: How to Determine Your Charm Table :siren:

Apparently you can divine the nature of your Charm Tables by sending out fishing boats to the Moga Shallows fishing areas, and then recording exactly what you got. Using fishing bait helps the process along by providing more data, three boatfuls should be enough to tell you what table you are on. There was a Japanese page made before to do this, but it was translated by a German into English. As far as I can tell, all three ships are identical (blue/red/black) for purposes of figuring this out.

English frontend for Japanese backend: http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/index2.html This URL will take you to the Japanese results page once you submit the form, but it's easy enough to follow since it's just T1-T17 with a O for a match and an X for a mismatch. Three O's in a row and you've got your table!

Original Japanese: http://www.hayasoft.com/chisamin/mh3g/tsearch.cgi
Non-working English backend: http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/

I apparently have Table 3, and the internet says Table 11, 12, 15, 16, 17 are total rubbish, which is great since I just hunted monsters all last weekend and was a little concerned :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

When using the switch axe is there any reason NOT to be in sword mode if you have power for it?

Also does the phial have anything to do with those phials you can pick up out of the supply box, or are those meant for ranged players?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I've almost completed the entire set of worn weapons. I've gotten everything except the lance(which is the one I want since I'm a lance user). However I did get the rusted lance instead of the worn one but the rusted weapons don't seem as good as the worn. I do have the worn gunlance, however I'm not sure how differently gunlance will play. I tried it in arenas and had no idea how to reload, so I just got by with melee attacks.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Ciaphas posted:

When using the switch axe is there any reason NOT to be in sword mode if you have power for it?

Also does the phial have anything to do with those phials you can pick up out of the supply box, or are those meant for ranged players?

The coatings in the box are for the Bow.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I've almost completed the entire set of worn weapons. I've gotten everything except the lance(which is the one I want since I'm a lance user). However I did get the rusted lance instead of the worn one but the rusted weapons don't seem as good as the worn. I do have the worn gunlance, however I'm not sure how differently gunlance will play. I tried it in arenas and had no idea how to reload, so I just got by with melee attacks.

On Wii U it's hold R, hit A, I believe.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

It depends on your play style. Personally, I only use sword mode when I know I can get some free hits in, or when I can pull off an overload. I don't like being as slow as I am in sword mode, if something goes wrong, I'm in trouble unless I can roll out of the way or get back into axe mode or sheath in time.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
When doing Brachy for gems should you kill or cap? I've had a few people online say that carving gives more opportunites for the gem to load.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

CubsWoo posted:

When doing Brachy for gems should you kill or cap? I've had a few people online say that carving gives more opportunites for the gem to load.

Cap is 2% chance in quest rewards. Kill is 2% chance reward from carving, 3 times. Tail is 2% chance. Tear is 1% chance, up to three tears.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Unless you have Capture Master/Tranquilizer, capture rewards occur at a random frequency, so you aren't guaranteed the maximum amount of capture rewards. For gem rates, the rate from carving and the rate from capturing are the same, so carving gives a more consistent chance for getting a gem than capturing would. Ultimately, it's still a matter of luck.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Kiggles posted:

yes. Yellow sharpness is "that bad". If you look on paper it doesn't seem so bad, only being less than 5% damage behind green, but you have an odd chance of only dealing 25% damage, which adds up more than you think, given how substantial the penalty is when it triggers. Additionally, any hit that does bounce below green sharpness WILL deal only 25% damage. A bounced hit at green or better (historically) delivered full damage, but doubled durability lose for that hit, and put you in the dangerous recoil animation.

Gem for Sharpener until you can upgrade the weapon and habitually sharpen your weapon. One stroke to get your blade back up to full is easy enough, and since you can literally count how many hits you have until your blade is dull, you should have no trouble planning your hits.

That said, if you happen to knock over a monster the instant you loss green, just wail on the rear end in a top hat for the duration and sharpen up after. Sucks, but if you're using longsword you will need to get used to missing out on tons of damage because the moon and stars didn't align so that you knock the monster over as soon as you refill your spirit meter immediately after hitting red focus so that you can unload with full spirit buffs on a helpless critter, and further extend your red focus buff, keeping your damage potential firmly within the "finally as good as everything else" threshold.

There is something to be said for movesets, and even there I find longsword lacking, if mostly for the damage coefficients on the actual attacks, but spirit focus colors can get utterly hosed out of my Monster Hunter. No other weapon goes from objectively loving awful to "OK" after such an unnecessarily long process. Dualswords comes the closest, needing to demonize, AND build a meter, but that takes what? 30 seconds? Hunting Horn might be up there too, since buffs take a while, but you can loving play your music where-ever the poo poo you want. You don't have to land a very specific hit at the end of a very long, resource consuming combo.

I just want to be the animes... why does this weapon have to have such an awful mecahnical "feature"?

:negative:

I'm going down the Wasserfallis upgrade path right now and I'm getting somewhat annoyed by this. I like the reach of Long Swords and they're pretty quick, but they lack the raw damage of other weapons. And hey, you can't block either. I'm not sure if I should switch to a different weapon type. I'm fairly early on but always having to hit that combo to top up my damage is pretty annoying. I was fiddling with Great Swords earlier and I've been upgrading one on the side as well, but they're kind of slow and a pain to hit small/quick enemies with.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
To all the people complaining about Diablos: try bowgun. If you've never used a range weapon, practice with the bow, get used to the rhythm of range combat, and then move to light bowgun if the bow's damage isn't doing it for you. Diablos is much more manageable with a light bowgun for me. Try Heavy Bowgun if you're a daredevil.

In fact, every time a monster doesn't seem to be working out for you, try range. I started learning how to fight as a gunner in Freedom Unite because the Blos duo were so annoying, and it's still helping me out now. I generally do range for; Giginox, Diablos and Plesioth. Don't just stick to one weapon, try to have decent weapon in every weapon class, weapon class meaning sword and shield/dual blades, long sword/great sword, hunting horn/hammer, lance/gunlance, and a bow or bowgun.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm going down the Wasserfallis upgrade path right now and I'm getting somewhat annoyed by this. I like the reach of Long Swords and they're pretty quick, but they lack the raw damage of other weapons. And hey, you can't block either. I'm not sure if I should switch to a different weapon type. I'm fairly early on but always having to hit that combo to top up my damage is pretty annoying. I was fiddling with Great Swords earlier and I've been upgrading one on the side as well, but they're kind of slow and a pain to hit small/quick enemies with.

Long Swords are literally the highest DPS possible with little to no effort. The weapon has no complex combos, has really good reach, and is good for soloing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what's the progression for monsters? Is it, LR < HR < SubSpecies HR < G Rank < SubSpecies G Rank? Assuming subspecies are still a thing in G Rank.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So... I just needed a single Azure Rathalos tail to finish the armor set. So I think fine, that's simple. But no... I got rare parts quickly so something has to get in my way, right?

In this case it was Deviljho. He would not loving leave me be. Every single area Rathalos went to, Deviljho popped up in under 10 seconds later. The entire fight was me trying to slice off Azure Rath's tail, which I did (got a Carapace+) while avoiding Jho.

And then at the end, Rath went from 8 (where Jho thankfully couldn't get to) to 2 to eat. I got him limping and, as he does, he goes from 2 to 5 briefly. I get in, I set the trap down, and I wait for him. He descends, he runs at the trap... then he stops just short and fireball jumps into the air. He sails by it, turns, lands, and does the same maneuver. And just as he lands from that, here comes Deviljho's big fat rear end waddling in from 6.

Right into the god drat trap.

Didn't get my tail. Gonna have to fight him again. Half a mind to dung bomb Rath then kill Jho just so I can get an assured trap off. I ended up killing Rathalos while Jho was flopping around in the trap. I got my carves and I started unloading on him for fuckin' up my 'last' run. And then Deviljho started chowing down on Rathalos just before the Quest Completed thing popped up!

tl;dr: Deviljho's a fuckin' oval office. :mad:

E: Condensed - Yeah, gently caress farming HG Earplugs up. 2 Fearsome Maws per +1 is not worth the trouble. I've done the kill 3 Gigginox quest twice and I've gotten one Maw. It's a pain with Dual Blades, but it moves too fast to use a hammer effectively. So much for that plan. Guess I farmed Azure Rath's armor up for nothing.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

He's not called Evil Joe for nothing. He's a major shitlord here to ruin your hunt.

• Locked thread