Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Skeezy posted:

So I bought a new wall charger thinking that it might be the issue with my phone not charging. However it's not the case and I really think the charge port is busted for good.

Like I said last time, my car charger charges the phone fine but no wall charger + cable works. I noticed that the car charger kinda "clicks" into the port. The original GNexus cable did the same thing but once it stopped doing that I started getting the issue.

I heard Sprint would fix this for about $50. That true?

Stupid question, but have you tried a new cable? Every charger problem I've had turned out to be the cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

azurite posted:

Stupid question, but have you tried a new cable? Every charger problem I've had turned out to be the cable.

Tried a new cable and new wall charger.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there any way to split up a plan with two lines, or remove one line without an ETF?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

Is there any way to split up a plan with two lines, or remove one line without an ETF?

You can transfer the liability of the one line to the others name. Only way.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

manwithoutskin posted:

I was confused as to why everyone was bashing insurance but I hadn't realized the rates have gone up.

Even at the old rates, the amount of money I save by not getting insurance is more than the cost of a phone replacement for me. I don't break my phones but on the off chance I did, I'd be out less getting a replacement myself.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Hey guys-

All this talk about the TEP made me wonder if I still had it on my phone - checked my bill, and I sure do. 8$ a month, so I may be on the older rates with that. But still, kinda dumb because I am still 'rocking' a samsung galaxy s1. I even have a slide out keyboard!

This thing is getting old. It's been behaving badly for some time and I have been looking at new handset options. My big question is - is there a way to go through TEP and get a replacement phone that will end up being an upgrade, I would assume S3 but maybe the stores still stock the S2, I don't know - and, if I did go this route, I think it wouldn't make me need to re-up my contract like purchasing a new phone through the sprint store would.

Thoughts? Simply put, is there a reasonable way to go through TEP and obviously pay a deductible for a newer handset? If not I might as well cancel the TEP, but I would love to use it for this purpose - I've paid enough in to make me not feel unethical about it.

Editing to add - the screen is legitimately going bad. When I go to hang up a call, about 80% of the time I end up mashing hangup for days with no response. So there's that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're going to pay a $100 deductible to get a replacement phone instead of a repair, and at this point it's quite possible that whatever they replace it with is going to only have a street value of about the same amount. I'd wager any store you take it to is going to push very, very hard for you to use your upgrade in that situation.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Way back when I had a touch pro 1, the keyboard died on me, I went in for the TEP replacement and they gave me a TP2 since they didn't have any more TP1s. That's why I'm asking if such an approach would work here.

Seems like the prices on the newer stuffs, even with upgrades, is excessive - and you end up in a new 2 year contract. I'm just trying to figure if there's any smart options at this point. Sounds like my best bet is just ebay.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Agatsu posted:

Way back when I had a touch pro 1, the keyboard died on me, I went in for the TEP replacement and they gave me a TP2 since they didn't have any more TP1s. That's why I'm asking if such an approach would work here.

Seems like the prices on the newer stuffs, even with upgrades, is excessive - and you end up in a new 2 year contract. I'm just trying to figure if there's any smart options at this point. Sounds like my best bet is just ebay.

They did this due to an the high cost of continually fixing the tp1 and the high churn rate of tp1 users. They were always available.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

manwithoutskin posted:

I was confused as to why everyone was bashing insurance but I hadn't realized the rates have gone up. I've had my phone repaired 3-4 times and replaced exactly four times. Didn't pay anything but spent a lot of time driving and resetting my drat phone.

None of the problems were ever my fault (phone hardware issues or the GS2 being upgraded to 4.0 and making GBS threads the bed). Would I have had to pay if I didn't have insurance? My first problem with the GS2 definitely happened after owning the phone for over a year.

If those issues would have been covered then I feel silly and will definitely be dropping the insurance. I am up for an upgrade in July and wouldn't have gone in for it with the increased amounts anyway.

edit
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
I stated it was definitely past the one year warranty period.

Even if it was in warranty you would have had to pay $35 ($50 now) each time they replaced or repaired your phone. They don't charge for resetting your phone, only when they actually do something to it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Agatsu posted:

Thoughts? Simply put, is there a reasonable way to go through TEP and obviously pay a deductible for a newer handset? If not I might as well cancel the TEP, but I would love to use it for this purpose - I've paid enough in to make me not feel unethical about it.
If you went to a store, they would repair or replace your Epic with another Epic at no charge.

If you broke it and paid the deductible, you would get another Epic for $100.

The system is set up to make it very, very hard to get a better phone as a replacement. If they ran out of Epics (as of last week I could still get them), you would likely wind up with an EVO or EVO shift.

The only exception I've seen is the EVO LTE sometimes being a replacement for the 3D, but I suspect that was because they had way too many LTEs in stock and very few 3Ds.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Yeah I forgot about the whole TP1 being a debacle.

At this point I should probably kill my TEP then huh? Seems worthless on such a low value handset, considering the costs/deductible.

Checked ebay, 180ish for an s2, 280ish for an s3. Wait for an s4 maybe?

S3 is gigantic though, not sure I even want that thing. I'll keep checking stuff out. Thanks for all the info guys.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Agatsu posted:

At this point I should probably kill my TEP then huh? Seems worthless on such a low value handset, considering the costs/deductible.
Absolutely, yes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I got rid of my TEP, it took a billing cycle to take effect, so I had this (mildly) insanely low bill for the month it kicked in because they credited some prorated amount of the $11 in addition to not having it there. Which was cool because Sprint sent me the :getout: letter and the savings are going towards Ting.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
There's a sign-up page for the Samsung S4 if you want to "pre-register" here.

But no mention of pre-orders. Preposterous.

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
Either myself and my phone are hallucinating in North St. Louis County, or we're suddenly getting 4G. I assumed the last S4GRU Missouri updates were KC. I'm on a stock GNex.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

Souichiro posted:

Either myself and my phone are hallucinating in North St. Louis County, or we're suddenly getting 4G. I assumed the last S4GRU Missouri updates were KC. I'm on a stock GNex.

It figures that would happen the same day my Nexus 4 I'm planning to use on T-Mobile arrives.

Question about porting out: I have 4 numbers I am porting out to T-Mobile, and I'm the primary line. I'm the only one ready to make the jump out of my 4 lines (the rest will be ready in about 2 weeks). Yeah, I could wait, but I really want to get my new toy activated.

If I port out my number, does another one become the new primary line? Or is it just going to close my account and all lines? I asked at a corporate store, but they were pretty unhelpful since I am leaving. They told me to call customer service and have them switch the primary line, which could take two billing cycles.

I had a bad experience when I ported lines from AT&T to Sprint a few years back. The knucklehead Best Buy associate ported my number (main) first, then found that my second number was no longer available to port out, and we lost my wife's number. I don't want to lose any numbers this time around.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Is there any news about if the new OTA update for the GS3 on Sprint breaks root? I'm getting sick of dismissing the notifications every 5 minutes and haven't seen it discussed here...

e: yeah it does break root. FYI. I don't know what the update name I downloaded is, M#? Gonna need to re-ODIN this thing this weekend now.

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 11, 2013

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Is there any news about if the new OTA update for the GS3 on Sprint breaks root? I'm getting sick of dismissing the notifications every 5 minutes and haven't seen it discussed here...

e: yeah it does break root. FYI. I don't know what the update name I downloaded is, M#? Gonna need to re-ODIN this thing this weekend now.

MB1?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Souichiro posted:

Congrats looks like LTE is coming to STL it really changes the device.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

The good news is that you can use the exact same method as with the older firmware.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Is there a way for me to tell?

nmfree posted:

The good news is that you can use the exact same method as with the older firmware.

Cool. I think this time I will keep the custom recovery on there. I messed up my first rooting attempt, and while it rooted my device, it re-installed the stock recovery. This time Ill make sure it sticks. Maybe try out a rom or so.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Souichiro posted:

Yeah, I have a friend that works for Sprint. She posted on FB about LTE lighting up on her phone. I was floored.

I figured we would be on the last leg of any LTE schedule.

I just hope they work on towers on the IL side of the river, too!

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Krime posted:

Yeah, I have a friend that works for Sprint. She posted on FB about LTE lighting up on her phone. I was floored.

I figured we would be on the last leg of any LTE schedule.

I just hope they work on towers on the IL side of the river, too!

That's gotta be the slowest LTE in existence. I remember getting similar or better on WiMax indoors.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Is there a way for me to tell?
Settings→ About Device→ Baseband Version and Build Version should end with MB1 (or whatever).

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

nmfree posted:

Settings→ About Device→ Baseband Version and Build Version should end with MB1 (or whatever).

Ah, thanks. yes it was MB1.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
Welp, my galaxy nexus' LTE radio is broken, and I need to send it in to samsung for a warranty repair. Is there any way I could get a loaner phone in the mean time? I kinda don't want to go back to my Evo 4g.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
What's wrong with your Evo 4g besides the terrible battery life?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ryen Deckard posted:

Welp, my galaxy nexus' LTE radio is broken, and I need to send it in to samsung for a warranty repair. Is there any way I could get a loaner phone in the mean time? I kinda don't want to go back to my Evo 4g.

At best a loaner phone is whatever poo poo up phone is lying around the sprint store, so I would do the Evo.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Alright so even with the refurb I'm still having the charger issue. The car charger works but neither the old official cable that came with the Nexus work or the cable I bought from Monoprice work without fiddling around with the cord.

I'm not mad I spent $50 on a refurb really because my old Nexus had some dents and scratches and this one doesn't so it's nice but drat I really want to be able to charge my phone without fiddling a cord.

Edit: I went ahead and went over to a preferred retail Sprint store that was across the street from me and just bought a $16 charger (with Motorola branding which is neat aha) and now my phone is charging. I'm paranoid that it'll stop charging but for right now it works. I really think it has to do with the "clicking" in that the cord should do, the monoprice cable never clicked into the port it just kinda slides in. Didn't feel secure, but now there is some latching of some sort, I have to use a bit of force for the cord to come out.

I'm happy.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 12, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The microusb cables I got from monoprice weren't that great, which is weird because monoprice is pretty good in general. Microusb seems more flimsy than mini to me, even though it's supposed to be opposite.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

CharlesM posted:

The microusb cables I got from monoprice weren't that great, which is weird because monoprice is pretty good in general. Microusb seems more flimsy than mini to me, even though it's supposed to be opposite.

I've seen the same with Monoprice cables. A few are rock solid, and the rest will lose the charging connection if they get jostled slightly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

The big difference as far as I know it is that with micro usb the wear part is in the cable, but in mini usb it's in the device.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

CharlesM posted:

I wonder if Monoprice pumped out a bad batch a couple months ago. I bought two microsb cables, which refused to charge and ended up burned and melted at the connector.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Allaniis posted:

I wonder if Monoprice pumped out a bad batch a couple months ago. I bought two microsb cables, which refused to charge and ended up burned and melted at the connector.

I bought 4 of them about 1.5 to 2 years ago, and they all ended up being junk. I believe 3 of them bent very easily and then quit charging, and one just quit working for no reason that I can tell. Every OEM one I've ever gotten with a phone I'm still using though, which is odd since I read about how many of them are crap and mess up over time.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Tedronai66 posted:

That's gotta be the slowest LTE in existence. I remember getting similar or better on WiMax indoors.

Fast or slow, I'm just happy they are doing work on the LTE network in the STL region.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket GPS receiver that will work with the Airrave? The one that comes with it is pretty terrible and I have to run it outside my house and set it in the gutter to even get a signal (and it looses the signal if I put a sandwich bag around it). I was thinking one of those marine GPS receivers that go on boats or something similar.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dish Network is offering to buy Sprint for 20% more than SoftBank's bid:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/dish-network-makes-25-5-billion-bid-for-sprint-nextel/

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What sort of repercussions could we expect to see if such a deal goes down? Would sprint's network quality increase once its financially bolstered by dish? Or ae aree we just going to have dish contracts being pushed in sprint stores now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not just this, Verizon wants ClearWire as well as Sprint.

Apparently, owning ClearWire is a requirement for Sprint being owned by SoftBank so...who knows what'll happen now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ctrum-for-1-5b/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324345804578424514105025922.html